Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cmon CCP - opportunity knocks

cptndunselcptndunsel Member UncommonPosts: 136
With the horrible release and follow up of The Secret World the ground is fertile for a game like this to come in and own the space. You need to reconsider priority of Dust and other projects versus WoD. I'd sign up for WoD in a heartbeat.

Comments

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    That is a horrible suggestion. Players like you are what game developers hear and listen to. You are willing to buy a game, sight unseen and zero clue how it will play. After how TOR failed and others, I would think players would have learned their leason by now.
    So, ccp, do not listen to the op.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• GeinochGeinoch Member Posts: 17

I'm agree with you cptndunsel. I've played the pen and paper game since I'm a kid. Me and a my friends got a lot of books and are looking forward this mmo. Since we also are fan of mmorpg we sure gonna buy the game without even try it. The only question remain is how many month we gonna subscribe (2 months or 5 years???). It will depends of CCP. But since they already merge with the people who actually created the game I'm almost sure I'll be satisfied.

Should they put priority in WOD I agree. Do I think they gonna make money with DUST514 ? I don't think so...

(sorry for my english)

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Dust 514 is horrible... not sure if that breaks any NDA I may or may not have signed, but ya. It's SO BAD.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326
    I would like to see something with this too.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by lugal
    That is a horrible suggestion. Players like you are what game developers hear and listen to. You are willing to buy a game, sight unseen and zero clue how it will play. After how TOR failed and others, I would think players would have learned their leason by now.
    So, ccp, do not listen to the op.

Hmm, WoDO have many devs who never made an MMO before just like TOR, so there are at least some similarities but they do the opposite thing and focus ona social player run game. And what I read about sounded good (what I read about TOR never sounded that good).

Dust on the other hand is totally uninteresting for me, I will not play it. So I have to agree with OP, an unknown sandbox that might be good is still a whole lot better bet for me than Dust.

Then again, CCP shuld of course focus on the game with highest economical potential first, it would be too bad if they had to close down. The question is just which of the 2 games that is?

Since World Of Darkness is already popular as a pen n paper game, with a good marketing strategy, I'm pretty sure it would seduces all the people around here who seek horror, social oriented adult mmorpg.

Dust514 on the other side got a very original idea of merging an mmorpg with a shooter, but I don't think the people who are playing EVE will be interested in playing Dust. I really don't know who is targetted by this game. I would be really surprised if the game is successful.

(sorry again for my english)

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

IMO dust514 is a complete waste of resourses that couldve been better spent developing WOD.PS3 exclusive, lack of console longevity, and bad gameplay are a loose loose proposition. WOD has more potiential for cash than DUST514. Only time will tell if my opinion is correct.

***Raving rabbid fires very soiled plungers at CCP HQ!!***

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by cptndunsel
    With the horrible release and follow up of The Secret World the ground is fertile for a game like this to come in and own the space.

Hrmmm.... you do realize how much WoD would be exactly like TSW and experience the same problems, right?  Not the same as far as the story/etc - but it would face the same obstacles.  If you believe that TSW's dead and buried, then how on Earth could you not see the same future for WoD?

The marketplace has changed... games that would have had great launches 3-5 years back are doomed because of where the market is now.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by VirusDancer
    With the horrible release and follow up of The Secret World the ground is fertile for a game like this to come in and own the space.

Hrmmm.... you do realize how much WoD would be exactly like TSW and experience the same problems, right?  Not the same as far as the story/etc - but it would face the same obstacles.  If you believe that TSW's dead and buried, then how on Earth could you not see the same future for WoD?

The marketplace has changed... games that would have had great launches 3-5 years back are doomed because of where the market is now.

I think you don't fully understand what is WOD, the best would be to go back to Vampire the masquerade: Bloodline. If the game is anywhere near this I'm pretty sur it would be successful. There is also the social side of the game they want to implant. The prince of the city is supposed to be a player, probably "guild leader " or something. And with the whole jyhad idea it will be really nice to see people trying to take over the control of other cities... The only thing that might be like TSW is the ambiance and then again, I expect WOD to be really more dark (gothic punk)

(Again, sorry for my english)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    With the horrible release and follow up of The Secret World the ground is fertile for a game like this to come in and own the space. You need to reconsider priority of Dust and other projects versus WoD. I'd sign up for WoD in a heartbeat.

TSW never had a horrible release it was very stable and one of the best launches i have seen for an MMORPG for a long time..

Sadly CCP will make sure DUST is out of the door before putting anything extra into World of Darkness.. but dont worry dust beta is currently going on so i guess it wont be long before release and then they can put more into WoD

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I wouldn't equate the success (or lack thereof) as any indicator of whether or not CCP should focus more on WOD or not.

I do think Dust514 is headed towards failure, just my opinion of course, based on my own personal playing preferences.

I think the market is ripe for a a title such as WOD that carries CCP's special game making flair, but as mentioned, its not as if a lot of former EVE coders are working on the project, no telling how it might turn out in the long run.

But I feel more optimistic about WOD, even if CCP seems to have diverted resources to get Dust514 working.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337

Funny how all games seem so great in the early alpha stage of development, when wishful thinking rather than market realities kick in?

Funny how all these WoW kiddiez can't even wrap their heads around the concept of WoD. 

Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Funny how all these WoW kiddiez can't even wrap their heads around the concept of WoD. 

I'm glad that you reinforce my point. Lets see how the real end product is first, we've been through enough concept messiahs already.

Originally posted by Xasapis

I'm glad that you reinforce my point. Lets see how the real end product is first, we've been through enough concept messiahs already.

Name the company that has produced the only succesful modern sandbox MMO.  THen name the company that is producing WoD.

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59
    Originally posted by Geinoch

I don't think the people who are playing EVE will be interested in playing Dust. I really don't know who is targetted by this game. I would be really surprised if the game is successful.

Of couse they won't, and neither will people generally playing MMO's. That's the point, they're not trying to lose their EVE players to D514.

There's a HUGE playerbase of FPS and they generally love multiplayer. That's the group that will be interested. They're always trying to sqeeze more play-time out of their games and an mmo is the perfect solution.

The fact that there's no subscription makes it an even better incentive. I think it's going to do well.

Name the company that has produced the only succesful modern sandbox MMO.  THen name the company that is producing WoD.

I can name you another company that has produced the arguably best three way PvP (or RvR) system, yet they failed at reproducing the same game.

Both the concept of WoD is interesting and the lore/scenery is something I'm looking forward to. I just don't think people should be over excited just yet.

I can name you another company that has produced the arguably best three way PvP (or RvR) system, yet they failed at reproducing the same game.

Both the concept of WoD is interesting and the lore/scenery is something I'm looking forward to. I just don't think people should be over excited just yet.

Au contraire, people should get over excited, that's exactly what an mmorpg need before launching. That's what the company are looking for to know if the project is viable. Big expectation is also what's putting pressure on devs. I hope people get Over excited so the server blow at launch and get a good player base.

I know mmorpg doesn't deliver what expected most of the time, it doesn't mean we shouldn't speak about it before the launch and don't get interested on what direction the game is taking...

(sorry for my english)

• nixiumnixium Member Posts: 21
    I cry in despair at what happened with this game which should have been released by now. Something deep within says let it go, it's not happening.
    Originally posted by nixium
    I cry in despair at what happened with this game which should have been released by now. Something deep within says let it go, it's not happening.

Curse on you for telling the probable truth... =) But I'd rather stay in my dream, hugging my masquarade rule book and keep repeating;  "it will come... it will come... it will come..."

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by floreairfoot

I don't think the people who are playing EVE will be interested in playing Dust. I really don't know who is targetted by this game. I would be really surprised if the game is successful.

Of couse they won't, and neither will people generally playing MMO's. That's the point, they're not trying to lose their EVE players to D514.

There's a HUGE playerbase of FPS and they generally love multiplayer. That's the group that will be interested. They're always trying to sqeeze more play-time out of their games and an mmo is the perfect solution.

The fact that there's no subscription makes it an even better incentive. I think it's going to do well.

This saved me a post, the people who play EvE need to keep playing EvE and new folks need to play dust, otherwise the concept of the linked game is screwed, not enough people in eve to make the guns and tanks and ammo for the people in Dust to use. Financially it's suicide spending money to cannibalise your own playerbase, hence it's console and FPS. Oh well, didn't save me post after all

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

@Geinoch,

I probably was not clear as I could have been with my post.  It's about the timing mainly.  The market today and in the near future is not very friendly for this type of game.  2-4 years ago, it would have rocked.  It will be interesting to see if they "delay" it in the hopes that the market swings again - or - they may find they have to go another route with it.  It's not that it in any way would be a bad game - just a bad time for a good game.

As for apologizing for your English, lol - to be perfectly blunt...you type far better than the average native speaker by a long shot.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

*rubs temples* I hate you so much, sorry.. people LIKE you so much. A horrible release? I am not a die hard fan here but I sure as hell think they did a fantastic job of their release. That statement alone suggests you know jack about what a good release or game for that matter even is. The Secret World has a lot going for it, and as some have said, WoD would be so similar (not the same, similar) that you will end up either hating it within a month ( Like I am sure you do with everything you play).. or staying with it just because your a fanyboy whom can not release when they are on a sinking ship. But you go ahead, tell them to rush a game out you look forward to playing only to whine about how its missing so much you hate the thing.. I am sure that will work for you. 

@Geinoch,

I probably was not clear as I could have been with my post.  It's about the timing mainly.  The market today and in the near future is not very friendly for this type of game.  2-4 years ago, it would have rocked.  It will be interesting to see if they "delay" it in the hopes that the market swings again - or - they may find they have to go another route with it.  It's not that it in any way would be a bad game - just a bad time for a good game.

As for apologizing for your English, lol - to be perfectly blunt...you type far better than the average native speaker by a long shot.

It might be true, I'm not enogh "connaisseur" to be able to analyse how is the market for now... I've been playin everquest 2 for about 5 years and stopped a few years ago... Still looking for the next mmo that will got me addicted and more important, got my wife addicted.

Guildwar 2 doesn't reach me, TSW either, Conan was missing something I can't say what...

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162

@Geinoch,

It might be true, I'm not enogh "connaisseur" to be able to analyse how is the market for now... I've been playin everquest 2 for about 5 years and stopped a few years ago... Still looking for the next mmo that will got me addicted and more important, got my wife addicted.

Guildwar 2 doesn't reach me, TSW either, Conan was missing something I can't say what...

Wanted to say that I am with you on this, minus The Secret World.. I have enjoyed it. And as you say something was missing from Conan, I felt the same way with Lord Of the Rings. I liked it a lot, it had everything lore wise and I enjoyed it but.. it just couldn't grab me, it never took its hold as I wanted. Just a shame, I wanted it to work. (Just like I wanted SWTOR to work, but didn't for us.)