Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Found a Secret World Subscriber

To my surprise I found a Secret World subscriber the other day when I met an old friend.

We swapped notes and it turned out he had experimented with the game and bought the lifetime subscription because it was priced lower than the normal period that he plays an MMO for.

He liked the Chuthlu Mythos elements to the first part of the game and he was surpised by the usual stuff, such as the Assault Rifle of Healing strangeness. He did claim that the tutorial healing skill did exist with the game, outside of the tutorial (he thought that Dragon faction had special access to it) so he has clearly not got the breadth of the game yet.

Comments

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    And the point of this thread is? Sarcasm? I bought LTS too after playing TSW for 2 weeks and still enjoy it very much.
  • Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Glad to see you got out of the house
  • OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer Member Posts: 87
    I just thought people would like some good news.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Originally posted by OldTimeGamer

And you presented it with so much sincerity and no saracasm at all.  :)

Originally posted by sumdumguy1
    Originally posted by OldTimeGamer

And you presented it with so much sincerity and no saracasm at all.  :)

Hey, that was sincere!

If I can bump into an old friend, and he tells me, without any prompting, that he is playing The Secret World then it shows that there are some takers and it is not all doom and gloom - possible corruption and slipping share prices.

Personally I have played this game myself (the last Beta weekend and a second, invited weekend where I had to start again from scratch) and I wasn't sold but it looks like he was. As you can see I genuinely wasn't very impressed.

However I thought I'd return to share the news - maybe a late surge of subscriptions, due to word of mouth reaching the correct people, is on the cards.

Nil desperandum and all that.

• SanguinelustSanguinelust Member UncommonPosts: 812
    OTG, don't defend yourself. This forum is full of miserable people who want nothing more than to make other miserable too.
  • ChtugaChtuga Member UncommonPosts: 116

Everyone I talk to that are playing the secret world are clueless to why not more people are playing the game. There is alot of people that love this game, and I see a bright future when enough people learn the truth.

When the GW2 hype has settled down, MOP has got its 1 month upswing, people will look for a game that can offer a solid experience over a longer periode of time. TSW is just this game.

• kilunkilun Member UncommonPosts: 829
    Originally posted by Chtuga

Everyone I talk to that are playing the secret world are clueless to why not more people are playing the game. There is alot of people that love this game, and I see a bright future when enough people learn the truth.

When the GW2 hype has settled down, MOP has got its 1 month upswing, people will look for a game that can offer a solid experience over a longer periode of time. TSW is just this game.

As much as I love the Secret World, people are not clueless why people are not playing the game.

First, its a modern day setting, something that turns a lot of people off instantly. 

Secondly it does require a lot of attention to detail to be able to do certain things, including even the entry quest to Illumanti for example (Have a buddy who got lost following it in beta and said dude, I love games but ain't got time for any quest like this, games were relaxation to him and after working his 60 a week last thing he wanted to do was get irritated doing some other quest.  Give me a waypoint and go tell me to kill.)

Next up, lack of content.  This game has about zero content.  It has nothing but combat to do other than find some lore locations.  No collectibles, nothing of the sort.  As much as I still play weekly, I just wait the cooldowns on quest I dig, go thrash them for an hour or two and get my AP to fill my next line.  Funcom has already acknowledged this fact by saying people enjoy the game will most likely come back.

PVP is useless.  I mean there is zero point to do it.  pvp caps at 10.3, pve 10.4  it takes 297 marks to get an upgrade, meanwhile it takes 40 bullions.  Time to do marks is a lot more, and there is zero incentive to actually go pvp for more than a cooldown.

This game has niche appeal, it was created with that in mind and Funcom I think dropped the ball on thinking it would have a wider appeal, love the game, have a LTS but it is niche to the extreme.

Originally posted by kilun

As much as I love the Secret World, people are not clueless why people are not playing the game.

First, its a modern day setting, something that turns a lot of people off instantly. 

Secondly it does require a lot of attention to detail to be able to do certain things, including even the entry quest to Illumanti for example (Have a buddy who got lost following it in beta and said dude, I love games but ain't got time for any quest like this, games were relaxation to him and after working his 60 a week last thing he wanted to do was get irritated doing some other quest.  Give me a waypoint and go tell me to kill.)

Next up, lack of content.  This game has about zero content.  It has nothing but combat to do other than find some lore locations.  No collectibles, nothing of the sort.  As much as I still play weekly, I just wait the cooldowns on quest I dig, go thrash them for an hour or two and get my AP to fill my next line.  Funcom has already acknowledged this fact by saying people enjoy the game will most likely come back.

PVP is useless.  I mean there is zero point to do it.  pvp caps at 10.3, pve 10.4  it takes 297 marks to get an upgrade, meanwhile it takes 40 bullions.  Time to do marks is a lot more, and there is zero incentive to actually go pvp for more than a cooldown.

This game has niche appeal, it was created with that in mind and Funcom I think dropped the ball on thinking it would have a wider appeal, love the game, have a LTS but it is niche to the extreme.

?

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Not enough content, despite quality being top notch.

No side ventures, at all.

Crafting is full-retard.jpg

The only reason I didn't continue playing was the third pushback of content updates.

If I can do everything relevant in the game within 6 days there's no reason for me to pay $15 a month. I can wait for content updates - if they come, but I'm not going to keep giving out money so they can try to Stick 'n Carrot the updates six months down the road.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    That is pretty cool OP :)
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Keylogger

If I can do everything relevant in the game within 6 days there's no reason for me to pay $15 a month. I can wait for content updates - if they come, but I'm not going to keep giving out money so they can try to Stick 'n Carrot the updates six months down the road.

I can see your point on this one.

I am having a different expirience, I have played over a week, I still have quests left to do in Kingsmouth and have done a few quests in the savage coast. My highest QL gear is 4

But

I am only playing a couple hours a night and I haven't played ever night.

That isn't the way many gamers play, in fact when I first started WoW, I played as much as I could, I was far less casual than I am today.

The problem is, Games today are letting players progress way to fast. WoW was "Easy" but it still took me six months to get to lvl 60 in vanilla and I was playing alot. 

But if you can to all the relevent content in 6 days or if in the case of GW2 people were getting to max level like three days after release, I blame the companies.

I don't understand why companies let players level there characters or in the case of TSW progress through content so fast. Progression should be harder than it is. Otherwise you have a bunch of players standing around bored. 

(Or theme parks need to add a little more sand in the game)

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

Originally posted by Johnie-Marz
    Originally posted by Keylogger If I can do everything relevant in the game within 6 days there's no reason for me to pay $15 a month. I can wait for content updates - if they come, but I'm not going to keep giving out money so they can try to Stick 'n Carrot the updates six months down the road.
    I can see your point on this one.

I am having a different expirience, I have played over a week, I still have quests left to do in Kingsmouth and have done a few quests in the savage coast. My highest QL gear is 4

But

I am only playing a couple hours a night and I haven't played ever night.

That isn't the way many gamers play, in fact when I first started WoW, I played as much as I could, I was far less casual than I am today.

The problem is, Games today are letting players progress way to fast. WoW was "Easy" but it still took me six months to get to lvl 60 in vanilla and I was playing alot. 

But if you can to all the relevent content in 6 days or if in the case of GW2 people were getting to max level like three days after release, I blame the companies.

I don't understand why companies let players level there characters or in the case of TSW progress through content so fast. Progression should be harder than it is. Otherwise you have a bunch of players standing around bored. 

(Or theme parks need to add a little more sand in the game)

Slow, or at least slower progression would foster better communities, better players and increase the games' longevity greatly. Allowing for more difficult content, more depth and overall quality.

But companies are afraid of showing the grind to the masses of WOW-spoiled gamers. Though alot of us are ex EQ1 at least. (The game that basically defined "grind."

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

So TSW subscribers aren't a myth.  They really do exist and you found one out in the wild.  This could become a new and (not very) interesting past time.   I hope you have photographic evidence, your friend standing next to a boxed copy or something with a dated newspaper.    Or a screenshot of his active subscription.  Because the skeptics among us would class this up there with a sighting of Bigfoot (sasquatch not the truck) though on second thoughts count the truck as well.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

"Have a buddy who got lost following it in beta and said dude, I love games but ain't got time for any quest like this, games were relaxation to him and after working his 60 a week last thing he wanted to do was get irritated doing some other quest. Give me a waypoint and go tell me to kill."

LOL ok,   Hey I am not laughing at your friend, I am laughing with him----------well maybe not

The correct place to report genuine anomalous encounters is the Fortean Times, of course. 

This publication actualy covers a lot of the subject matter of The Secret World, including mythological creatures, comtemporary zombies and conspiracy theories. It even reviews the computer games it is sent, as well.

More common local phemonena here is the ABC, or Alien Big Cat. We even had the police recently recommend that people stay indoors, and dispatched search helicopters, due to the possibity of a lion being on the loose in Essex!

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272

The only reason I'm not playing it is the box price is obscene.

Once that comes down I'll buy it and play it and subscribe

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    It's a very good game that's light on content. I dont think people hate modern/horror settings as much as some would have you believe. There are probably some that want brainless cartoon fun (I do occasionally) exclusively but not that many. I think its more the funcom factor/payment model issues that killed it. Although it is a bit of a mystery overall that it didn't do better in initial sales.

OP great informative post. So basically you have one ignorant friend who stayed subscribed.
    Originally posted by Dalmont

The only reason I'm not playing it is the box price is obscene.

Once that comes down I'll buy it and play it and subscribe

49 dollars instead of the normal 59 dollars games cost today?

• Skooma2Skooma2 Member UncommonPosts: 697
    <-----  TSW subscriber.  Loving every minute of it; though as content progresses, soloing gets more and more difficult.

Hedonismbot: Your latest performance was as delectable as dipping my bottom over and over into a bath of the silkiest oils and creams.

Originally posted by Skooma2
    <-----  TSW subscriber.  Loving every minute of it; though as content progresses, soloing gets more and more difficult.

Yeah, I have died more in TSW than I have in any MMO in a long time, it's refreshing. 

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by kilun

and with recent layoffs .it will further devestate the game

• EscadaEscada Member Posts: 25

Those who are saying that the game lacks content are talking out their ass.

Unless you sit there continuously playing the game 24/7 there is a vast amount of content.  I play a lot and I have yet to finish the quests in the last zone, Transylvania.  The whole game experience is cool and unlike perhaps every single other MMO out there I never felt like I was 'questing'.  The story is totally absorbing and the dungeons are of an extremely high quality.

The investigation quests are really challenging and rewarding to complete.. I strongly suspect anyone who is genuinely suggesting the game is without content simply looked up the answers to many of the challenges rather than working it out themselves.

The game does ask you to think a bit which is perhaps what makes others a bit unconfortable.  I'm not going to start knocking other MMOs but in comparison many are paint by number equivilant. 

Its true that the PvP system at this stage could be described as 'throw away', meaning it serves little purpose other than to actually PvP but there remains huge potential and I go into Fusang occasionally and still have fun in there.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by Escada

Those who are saying that the game lacks content are talking out their ass.

Unless you sit there continuously playing the game 24/7 there is a vast amount of content.  I play a lot and I have yet to finish the quests in the last zone, Transylvania.  The whole game experience is cool and unlike perhaps every single other MMO out there I never felt like I was 'questing'.  The story is totally absorbing and the dungeons are of an extremely high quality.

The investigation quests are really challenging and rewarding to complete.. I strongly suspect anyone who is genuinely suggesting the game is without content simply looked up the answers to many of the challenges rather than working it out themselves.

The game does ask you to think a bit which is perhaps what makes others a bit unconfortable.  I'm not going to start knocking other MMOs but in comparison many are paint by number equivilant. 

Its true that the PvP system at this stage could be described as 'throw away', meaning it serves little purpose other than to actually PvP but there remains huge potential and I go into Fusang occasionally and still have fun in there.

I agree. It seems like there is alot more content than in SWTOR