Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why GW2 Lacks Longevity

SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

Purely my opinion of course, but after playing GW2 and enjoying it to a degree, I don't see the game having very much longevity.  Want to find out why?  Click below:

(warning:  pretty long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfIVT8vO8Ds&list=UUDxQGrgLy5mfqbyqfu5gCMQ&index=0&feature=plcp

Comments

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

I appretiate your opinion.

I'll add why I think GW2 has enough content to make me busy for at least a year:

- 8 Challenging dungeons with 32 different experiences

- over 1000 dynamic events. Arenanet stated they will be secretly adding new events to all zones

- legendary weapons - they require a lot of effort and those who want to get prestige weapon skins with special effects has lots of work to do

- exploration - tons of secret jumping puzzles

- WvW - lots of fun, two week long matches, epic battles. This feature alone has tons of replayability.

- sPvP - very adicting, almost DotA/League of Legends addicting, I can see myself spending lots of time here.

- Non-linear story. To see all branches of one race story you need to create at least 20 characters of the same race. Multiply that by 5 races and you get tons of replayability

- By the end of this content new expansions will come, each adding 1 year worth of content

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I will watch the Video later if I have time- But honestly I do not need to...Pretty sure I know whats said.

I agree too- It does lack longevity. Its not a full fledged MMORPG (more like an ARPG with Massive Online components). Its very casual...

But, its fun. And it doesnt need Longevity like a subscription title,

GW2 has done some very creative marketing and essentially sold a F2P cash shop game for $50- $60. Then they will get a small Xpac out every year or so for another $40- $50. Most have at least purchased Bag space from the CS... They are making money hand over fist and do not NEED high player retention (just enough to keep the servers active) and each Xpac will bring an influx of former players back to the game for a short time.

This was a genius marketing Blitz. And the game is fun.

No. It doesnt have "staying power" and if it were based on a "sub" I would feel pretty ripped off and (obviously) not re sub...But they already sold me a box and some Bag Space and I play a few hours a week (and plan to play at a casual rate) and it makes a nice second Online game to play while taking a break from your main Game.

I am happy.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

Only time will tell and to be honest if this game lacks longevity then most MMO's do..

Oh, wait a minute....

:D

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

I will watch the Video later if I have time- But honestly I do not need to...Pretty sure I know whats said.

I agree too- It does lack longevity. Its not a full fledged MMORPG (more like an ARPG with Massive Online components). Its very casual...

GW2 has done some very creative marketing and essentially sold a F2P cash shop game for $50- $60. Then they will get a small Xpac out every year or so for another $40- $50. Most have at least purchased Bag space from the CS... They are making money hand over fist and do not NEED high player retention (just enough to keep the servers active) and each Xpac will bring an influx of former players back to the game for a short time.

No. It doesnt have "staying power" and if it were based on a "sub" I would feel pretty ripped off and (obviously) not re sub...But they already sold me a box and some Bag Space and I play a few hours a week (and plan to play at a casual rate) and it makes a nice second Online game to play while taking a break from your main Game.

I am happy.

curious in your opinion as to how it's not a full fledged MMO? 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by SuperXero89

Purely my opinion of course, but after playing GW2 and enjoying it to a degree, I don't see the game having very much longevity.  Want to find out why?  Click below:

(warning:  pretty long)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AfIVT8vO8Ds&list=UUDxQGrgLy5mfqbyqfu5gCMQ&index=0&feature=plcp

Watching a 45min game play video would bore me to tear's no matter what the game.

Care to elaborate?

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• escarretaescarreta Member Posts: 99

80 Things to Do At Level 80

1. Complete your personal story
    2. Defeat Zhaitan
    3. Unlock all available skills for your profession / race
    4. Raise your crafting disciplines to skill level 400
    5. Earn enough gold to purchase a racial armor set
    6. Earn enough karma to purchase an exotic armor set
    7. Play through all dungeons in story mode
    8. Complete all dungeons in explorable mode
    9. Complete all 33 possible explorable mode dungeon paths
    10. Earn enough dungeon tokens to purchase a set of armor
    11. Collect a set of armor from each dungeon in the game
    12. Start a petition to make the Undead Orrian Chicken a new necro minion
    13. Earn enough karma to purchase a racial weapon
    14. Craft an exotic weapon for your character
    15. Craft an exotic armor set for your character
    16. Purchase a Dragon’s Deep weapon
    17. Earn all possible PvE titles
    18. Experiment with new builds for your profession
    19. Discover all possible recipes for your crafting disciplines
    20. Master all crafting disciplines
    21. Experiment with the Mystic Forge
    22. Create a Mystic weapon in the Mystic Forge
    23. Craft a legendary weapon in the Mystic Forge
    24. Explore all areas in the game
    25. Find and use a vial of black dye
    26. Find a vial of black dye and give it to a friend
    27. Create or purchase a full set of 20 slot bags
    28. Give Logan a wedgie
    29. Participate in the Norn Keg Brawl
    30. Unlock all Keg Brawl achievements
    31. Create a new character to experience a different profession / race
    32. Participate in structured PvP
    33. Raise your sPvP rank
    34. Achieve the rank of Ascendant in sPvP
    35. Complete your favorite sPvP cosmetic armor set
    36. Collect new cosmetic weapon skins for sPvP
    37. Unlock all possible cosmetic weapon and armor skins in sPvP
    38. Earn all sPvP titles
    39. Find and complete all 31 jumping puzzles
    40. Complete the current Monthly achievements
    41. Help your guild earn influence to unlock additional perks
    42. Outrun a centaur
    43. Charm all possible pets as a Ranger
    44. Create an all-ranger guild called Team Rocket, lose constantly in sPvP
    45. Collect all 101 types of cooking materials
    46. Fill every collection slot in the bank with at least one item
    47. Participate in World versus World
    48. Help your world win in WvW
    49. Defeat enough enemy players in WvW to complete the medal
    50. Complete the awesome Yakslapper achievement in WvW
    51. Complete all WvW achievements
    52. Build and use all siege weapon types in WvW
    53. Earn all possible WvW Titles
    54. Play the organ in Caledon forest, and party with the Quaggan
    55. Earn enough gold to purchase a Commander Tome
    56. Visit the monument to Killeen and pay your respects
    57. Defeat the Shatterer
    58. Defeat the Claw of Jormag
    59. Defeat Tequatl the Sunless
    60. Add new friends to your friend’s list
    61. Organize an in-game event for your guild
    62. Complete every map in the game
    63. Participate in meta events
    64. Discover and participate in new dynamic events
    65. Collect stacks of butter and butter prank your friends
    66. Learn the ins and outs of the Trading Post
    67. Get rich selling Globs of Ectoplasm
    68. Buy a Box o’ Fun and throw a party in Lion’s Arch
    69. Complete an armor set for your character’s Order
    70. Read all of the books in Divinity's Reach
    71. Read the story of how Ebonhawke was founded
    72. Complete all possible weapon achievements for your character
    73. Defeat the Champion of Grenth and purchase the exotic armor set
    74. Write about your level 80 experience, have it published on GW2Hub
    75. Purchase a set of armor from the guild armorsmith
    76. Purchase a set of weapons from the guild weaponsmith
    77. Complete all Slayer achievements
    78. Complete the Lifetime Survivor achievement
    79. Go skydiving in Arah after defeating Zhaitan
    80. Have fun!
  • EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

I am happy.

My guess is because there is no gear grind to become and/or remain competitive. It is there for vanity (in the end it's just a game, even stats are for vanity), it's just not mandatory and it's not padded with weekly/daily timers either.

I am happy.

Its very much missing the "RPG" part IMHO.

A full fledged MMO it certainly is . But more of an "ARPG" (action role playing game) that has been simplified and is ultra casual. This is fine, but it truly lacks depth and is more "pick up and play" for a few hours here and there.

To put it simply- GW2 is more like Diablo (without the Loot) than like FF7 (without the loot). Bad comparison, I know, but I am trying to show a very stark difference in game styles- One being an ARPG.

• SuperXero89SuperXero89 Member UncommonPosts: 2,551

I am happy.

I think that if you go into GW2 with that mindset, you will be happy.  For those reasons, I am happy, and  I do not regret my purchase.

I do take offense when people behave as if their ability to see longevity in the game is a sign of mental superiority.  I never shyed away from the idea that GW2 will have players enjoying the game for years because the original GW1 had longterm hardcore players.  As a mainstream title though, GW1 lost a lot of steam after the release of Eye of the North, and I am only referring to GW2's ability to retain and grow its current playerbase. 

We can refer to the Diablo style item grind as skinner box gameplay or carrot dangling all we want, but the fact of the matter is, that style of gameplay has proven very successful over the years.  GW2's future success or lack thereof will be a referendum on the viability of that style of play.  If GW2 can retain a million active players and continue to grow substantially over the years, perhaps it's time that MMO designers reevalutated their approach to designing content.  I sit clearly on the camp that says that the "skinner box" gameplay as it's called, has a relevant place in the MMO industry and in games as a whole.

I am happy.

A full fledged MMO it certainly is . But more of an "ARPG" (action role playing game) that has been simplified and is ultra casual. This is fine, but it truly lacks depth and is more "pick up and play" for a few hours here and there.

To put it simply- GW2 is more like Diablo (without the Loot) than like FF7 (without the loot). Bad comparison, I know, but I am trying to show a very stark difference in game styles- One being an ARPG.

odd i guess we have a very differn't view on what an "rpg" is as I find it more of an rpg than most MMOs.. ::shrugs::

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by SuperXero89

I think that if you go into GW2 with that mindset, you will be happy.  For those reasons, I am happy, and  I do not regret my purchase.

I do take offense when people behave as if their ability to see longevity in the game is a sign of mental superiority.  I never shyed away from the idea that GW2 will have players enjoying the game for years because the original GW1 had longterm hardcore players.  As a mainstream title though, GW1 lost a lot of steam after the release of Eye of the North, and I am only referring to GW2's ability to retain and grow its current playerbase. 

We can refer to the Diablo style item grind as skinner box gameplay or carrot dangling all we want, but the fact of the matter is, that style of gameplay has proven very successful over the years.  GW2's future success or lack thereof will be a referendum on the viability of that style of play.  If GW2 can retain a million active players and continue to grow substantially over the years, perhaps it's time that MMO designers reevalutated their approach to designing content.  I sit clearly on the camp that says that the "skinner box" gameplay as it's called, has a relevant place in the MMO industry and in games as a whole.

longevity really is all individual based.. i can't say one game will last longer for me or you or anyone.. it really depends on if you value what is there or not. For me I enjoy the content enough and want to actually strive to get legendary weapons, map completetion, best looking pvp gear, dungeon gear... others may not have this drive at all. I have no drive to do raids or do another gear power treadmill.. it's all personal preference and no one is right or wrong.. I will say I find GW2 offers more options of things to do than most other MMOs especially for a newly released game.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111
    The biggest problem is people think GW2 is a pve game, when it's mainly about the PVP. If you don't like the pvp, this game will not have much lasting value for the average gamer.
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697

I am happy.

odd i guess we have a very differn't view on what an "rpg" is as I find it more of an rpg than most MMOs.. ::shrugs::

I agree with the other poster, there is very very very little rpg aspect to it. It is much more of a hack and slash title than an rpg.

There is nothing wrong with being a hack and slash title, Diablo has shown time and again there is a market for that type of game. It is simply different from an rpg.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380

I am happy.

Yeah, I hope he does try to explain how GW2 is not an MMO and what is the depth it lacks?!  What are the elements that require this mystical "staying power?"   My guess is he would say there is minimal grouping required and maybe complain about lack of trinity.  What say you SaintPhillip?  I'm interested in your opinion, as it is so different from mine own. 

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    No MMO since WoW has managed to maintain or grow its player base after launch.  I doubt GW2 will be different.
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 7,591
    Originally posted by Izik
    The biggest problem is people think GW2 is a pve game, when it's mainly about the PVP. If you don't like the pvp, this game will not have much lasting value for the average gamer.

There is enough content to keep your average player busy for quite a while. If there is a problem with longevity it is with the so called "hardcore player"

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

How would you know what the average gamer wants? The fact that we are all posting on this forum, IMO, makes us anything BUT average.

• IzikIzik Member Posts: 111
    Originally posted by sirphobos
    No MMO since WoW has managed to maintain or grow its player base after launch.  I doubt GW2 will be different.

Eve

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/72392

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

How would you know what the average gamer wants? The fact that we are all posting on this forum, IMO, makes us anything BUT average.

Pretty much.  I would say the people on this site are enthusiasts.  Like any enthusiast we want/demand the best of whatever we are enthusiastic about.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    It is what it is. Fun to play at times. Just not much depth in systems or charachter development. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by bcbully
    It is what it is. Fun to play at times. Just not much depth in systems or charachter development. 

forgot the IMO.. although i guess that should always be implied.. although it's hard ot tell sometimes.

• sirphobossirphobos Member UncommonPosts: 620
    Originally posted by sirphobos

Eve

http://www.tentonhammer.com/node/72392

Eve came out before WoW did it not?

Originally posted by Badaboom

I am happy.

Yeah, I hope he does try to explain how GW2 is not an MMO and what is the depth it lacks?!  What are the elements that require this mystical "staying power?"   My guess is he would say there is minimal grouping required and maybe complain about lack of trinity.  What say you SaintPhillip?  I'm interested in your opinion, as it is so different from mine own. 

Sure since your mind is already made up after what, 3 weeks of playing? I am sure your opinion (seing as how its so concrete) is the "correct" one.

There is no "mystical" staying powetr and if you have read my responses I have explained (quite well IMO) why GW2 will do just fine and has already been an unmitigated success.

And with the fanboy epidemic and utter blindness to anything which could be construed as "negative" having an honest discussion becomes near impossible-

-Anyhow an RPG should require stats and have very dynamic ways in whuicjh to grow your character and become more powerful- There should be no "jack of all trades" toons and an interdependancy among specialized classes- And no, I do not speak of your "holy trinity" but of something which yhas existed since War gaming and then made mainstream with Dungeons and Dragons.

In GW2 I am the healer/thief/tank and Dpser all in one. Its a Zerg when there IS grouping.

Does this make it a bad game? No. But lets be honest here. You will never be known as a good "healer". "tank" whatever since everyone is essentially skilled to do everything themselves.

-This doesnt make a "bad" game. But this takes away from "depth" and having your character stand out in any way.

-I could go on and on but it matters little.

• TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326

All I can say is that if I get one tenth the amount of time in entertainment, as is devoted by haters trying to point out any small flaw that they can find with GW2, than it will deliver in spades.  

I don't need the game to provide 8760 hours of quality entertainment in a year, and I feel sorry for the people that think "hardcore player"  is a positive term.  

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Waaagh waaagh no raids!

:p