Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't play this game because of terrible mouse lag/camera smoothing/acceleration

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I don't like wow, but wow handles the mouse & camera better than tsw.
  • Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

This was an issue for me.... for about 30 seconds.

Then I went into the settings and changed the mouse sensitivty from the slowest (default) to max speed.

some things are so hard.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by Preacher26

Then I went into the settings and changed the mouse sensitivty from the slowest (default) to max speed.

some things are so hard.

you really are clueless about this issue, it has nothing to do with rotation speed.  did you even read any posts here describing it?

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

some things are so hard.

Yes it is apparently too hard for you to understand. The problem OP is describing has nothing to do with increasing or decreasing mouse sensitivity. And i don't even want to bother explaining to you if you couldn't understand it after reading the OP and 8 pages of reply.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I've been reading up on this and maybe some people really do have a problem other than PEBKAC. I hope anet manages to figure out what's causing it and getting it fixed for you guys.
  • TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326
    I don't have this problem. I have tried and tried to create this problem and can't. When I turn my camera veiw with my mouse, it stops when my mouse movement stops.  This problem is not just Anet's problem, it's your problem (hardware or software) too. 
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    I use a trackball, thwat being said it really it does not seem to be a issue for most people. Thta's is just judging  from the popularity of the game

I miss DAoC

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    I'm inclined to think that the issue is something local.  I can only base this on my experience, and I don't have these issues.  To my mind, it would be something specific to the local environment.  If it were something more universal, I would be affected also (In most cases)

I self identify as a monkey.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

some things are so hard.

You're not understanding it's has nothing to do with mouse settings as far as acceleration.

Example I pan my camera clockwise around my character while running around and maybe strafing, but when I try to switch counter-clockwise the camera will continue to spin clockwise for a hair before reversing direction. I can even spin my camera around my character half way and then stop abrumblty but instead of the camera pan stopping it will continue on for a little as if it's has momentum or something.

The combo of that along with the Norn's animations being a little on the sluggish side sometimes leads to some frustrating experiences where I find myself fighting more with the camera than my actual target. This is the first time I can really recall having this sort of experience with panning a camera during combat.

I'm usually pretty aware in combat accounting for multiple targets at a time but to do that succesffully I need the camera to be on my heels at every turn I make. It's not honestly, it's a step or two behind me at every turn. It even takes a second to start up when you move the camera. It's very slight and maybe not as noticeble to someone who's not a big camera mover or maybe a keyboard turner.  We aren't saying the camera will spin like a top and not stop it just moves like it has too much wieght behind it..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Opapanax

some things are so hard.

You're not understanding it's has nothing to do with mouse settings as far as acceleration.

Example I pan my camera clockwise around my character while running around and maybe strafing, but when I try to switch counter-clockwise the camera will continue to spin clockwise for a hair before reversing direction. I can even spin my camera around my character half way and then stop abrumblty but instead of the camera pan stopping it will continue on for a little as if it's has momentum or something.

The combo of that along with the Norn's animations being a little on the sluggish side sometimes leads to some frustrating experiences where I find myself fighting more with the camera than my actual target. This is the first time I can really recall having this sort of experience with panning a camera during combat.

I'm usually pretty aware in combat accounting for multiple targets at a time but to do that succesffully I need to camera to be on my heels at every turn I make. It's not honestly, it's a step or two behind me at every turn. It even takes a second to start up when you move the camera. It's very slight; we are saying the camera will spin like a top and not stop it just moves like it has too much wieght behind it..

I stand corrected. Thats what I get for skimming and assuming.

With the default settings the camera does feel very slow and unresponsive but that problem is quickly resolved by changing the settings. Obviously the issue your encountering is something only a few are experiencing. Hopefully it gets worked out for you.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

some things are so hard.

I'm usually pretty aware in combat accounting for multiple targets at a time but to do that succesffully I need the camera to be on my heels at every turn I make. It's not honestly, it's a step or two behind me at every turn. It even takes a second to start up when you move the camera. It's very slight and maybe not as noticebul to someone who's not a big camera mover or maybe a keyboard turner.  We aren't saying the camera will spin like a top and not stop it just moves like it has too much wieght behind it..

Hm... I don't understand at all how you have an issue with this. When I'm turning my mouse and moving around, it seems to stop very quickly as I switch directions and I have no problems whatsoever doing jumping puzzles, looking around quickly as I fight, etc.

Seems as if you're just nitpicking, or it's a rare issue you're having. Good luck.

some things are so hard.

I'm usually pretty aware in combat accounting for multiple targets at a time but to do that succesffully I need the camera to be on my heels at every turn I make. It's not honestly, it's a step or two behind me at every turn. It even takes a second to start up when you move the camera. It's very slight and maybe not as noticeble to someone who's not a big camera mover or maybe a keyboard turner.  We aren't saying the camera will spin like a top and not stop it just moves like it has too much wieght behind it..

I switched fro m mouse to trackball back with UT2K and never looked back.. One of the guys back in my UT clan suggested it. For FPS and MMO the control is much better and repsonse is a lot quicker., if you are into PvP Iit wil outperform any mouse on the market as far as sensitivity. It took me about a hour or two to get used to it as I recall but now I keep a  mouse on my desk for normal web browsing but all my ganing is done using a wireless trackball, It was good enough to keep me in the top 100 in UT Worldstats consistently.  Might want to give it a shot.

I miss DAoC

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

very occasionally i get a tiny bit of mouse lag but nothing major. I would suggest using game booster a free app to turn off all the nonsense windows has running. I use that all the time it's free. 

The thing about the lag usually only occurs when i have gb off or if i have something drawing in the background like graphics from fb or something. 

The only other lag i've experienced has been because i didn't set up my firewall and antivirus properly.

As far as i can tell all games are doing this whole mouse camera thing so i don't really know if there is an mmo that doesn't use it.

• ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by rikilii
    Originally posted by afropuff420
    Can't say I really understand the issue you're experiencing.. Is it something that can't be controlled by a setting? Are you using the most updated video drivers?

The best way to describe it is that it's like steering a boat.  There's a small delay from when I move my mouse until the camera stops moving, the speed of the camera accelerates in a way that is totally unrelated to the speed at which I'm moving my mouse, and when I stop moving the mouse, there's a short delay before the camera stops turning.

Oblivion had the same issue.  WoW, TOR, etc. don't.  This has to have been deliberately designed into the game, which makes it really sad that they didn't give an option to disable it.

I played WoW for 7 yrs.. this game has a far better camera system and the mouse is exactly the same.. I think you are having very unique issues and perhaps it might be medical. I am NOT being a troll btw. I have a friend who gets nauscious underwater because of a medical issue.. perhaps yours is the same. Might want to get your eyes checked because that very well could be the culprit.

Originally posted by Aviggin

some things are so hard.

I'm usually pretty aware in combat accounting for multiple targets at a time but to do that succesffully I need the camera to be on my heels at every turn I make. It's not honestly, it's a step or two behind me at every turn. It even takes a second to start up when you move the camera. It's very slight and maybe not as noticebul to someone who's not a big camera mover or maybe a keyboard turner.  We aren't saying the camera will spin like a top and not stop it just moves like it has too much wieght behind it..

Hm... I don't understand at all how you have an issue with this. When I'm turning my mouse and moving around, it seems to stop very quickly as I switch directions and I have no problems whatsoever doing jumping puzzles, looking around quickly as I fight, etc.

Seems as if you're just nitpicking, or it's a rare issue you're having. Good luck.

LoL Believe me bro I'm not nitpicking here. I've actually spoken outloud to myself like..

"WTF is up with the camera..."

If it was something I myself didn't really notice or felt didn't affect my gameplay I wouldn't be mentioning it, but it does take a bit off my timing when trying to perform manuvers that require proper timing and spacing. I'm one that likes to stay on the move constantly and am always panning my camera around jumping onto this jumping off of that more panning. :)

It's really not that LARGE of delay it's very slight but still noticeble. I remember reading a post here about them changing somethings with the camera and panning because there were some graphic tears or something. Sorry I'm way too lazy to look it up since I didn't post in the thread myself at the time.

It's not a gamebreaking issue I assure you, but for those that like very tight and responsive camera controls it can be a problem worth noting. As rare as it may be (Well it itself is not rare because EVERYONES camera is doing this) to hear some folks complain about it, it's out there..

Like I said, the issue isn't really as frustrating in PvE as in PvP where total control is important. At least to me, it's almost like Camera CC.. Ugh more CC..

EDIT: I just logged into to try and get a fresh feel of what I'm experiencing. My camera seems to get this feeling when moving and turning with WASD and panning the camera as the same time with my mouse that I get the feeling of the camera not being in tune with my mouse movements.

Maybe it's something with the camera snapping as it wants to recenter the screen or someting.. I don't know.. /shrug

Originally posted by ariboersma
    Can't say I really understand the issue you're experiencing.. Is it something that can't be controlled by a setting? Are you using the most updated video drivers?

The best way to describe it is that it's like steering a boat.  There's a small delay from when I move my mouse until the camera stops moving, the speed of the camera accelerates in a way that is totally unrelated to the speed at which I'm moving my mouse, and when I stop moving the mouse, there's a short delay before the camera stops turning.

Oblivion had the same issue.  WoW, TOR, etc. don't.  This has to have been deliberately designed into the game, which makes it really sad that they didn't give an option to disable it.

I played WoW for 7 yrs.. this game has a far better camera system and the mouse is exactly the same.. I think you are having very unique issues and perhaps it might be medical. I am NOT being a troll btw. I have a friend who gets nauscious underwater because of a medical issue.. perhaps yours is the same. Might want to get your eyes checked because that very well could be the culprit.

Wow.. just wow man..

It's not a gamebreaking issue I assure you, but for those that like very tight and responsive camera controls it can be a problem worth noting. As rare as it may be (Well it itself is not rare because EVERYONES camera is doing this) to hear some folks complain about it, it's out there..

you want to shine in PvP man lose the mouse altogether track ball rules

I miss DAoC

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575
    No problems here.  I've seen this in other games before though but not in GW2.  Most notably, in APB when you were driving around there would be just enough lag to make my driving crap.  But then they fixed it and I was fine.  Haven't seen this in GW2 though.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Than gw2 I meant
  • thefang01thefang01 Member UncommonPosts: 9

The issue exists. The only explanation I have for people not noticing is that they got used to it or did not play a lot of games without camera smoothing.

To be fair, I almost got used to it. Almost. Still, it would be a vast improvement if it could be disabled as that would increase precision and overall responsiveness of the character controls.

• SanHorSanHor Member UncommonPosts: 336
    Got to level 4 and cant continue due to headaches. I'll try again once they fix it.
  • SilentstormSilentstorm Member UncommonPosts: 1,126

Also if your card cant handle the game that also makes a vertigo experience

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

No issues here either, although I'm certainly not saying that the issue doesn't exist (just not for me). My only complaint about the camera is that during some of the jumping puzzles it tends to zoom right in on my character, making things more difficult than they should be and causing no small amount of cursing on my part.

Oh, and for some reason I get 12 FPS in the first bandit cave in Queensdale since the last patch. Graphics settings don't help. It's... strange, to say the least.

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Indeed. Mouse smoothing & acceleration is evil.
  • ariboersmaariboersma Member Posts: 1,802
    Originally posted by ariboersma

Wow.. just wow man..

what? you dont think medical problems affect how you eperience games? talk to epileptics that experienced WoW flashing earth elemental deaths in I WOtLK.. also refresh rates on monitors can give you migraines when mixed with some eye problems. Just because you  you are perfect doesnt mean the rest of us are. Or do you have a problem with constructive help from a different point of view?