Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fun ways of playing GW2

ohpowerohpower Member Posts: 72

Hello to all

Here is a little topic in which to post your ideas on nice ways to level up a character by making the most of particular features of the game, for instance only do it in WvW, or go only to higher level zones with a big team of lower level players to zerg with a challenge.

For me, I know I'll have one character that will be an explorer

-I'll uncheck all markers on my map (hearts, vistas, merchants)

-I'll assign the "hide UI" key to "w" and play without it most of the time

And then I'll just travel to places that look nice, watch the scenery, and live my own adventure. No WvW, no personal story, just go forward and try to survive. I might even respawn in a city each time I die, so as to start my travels all over again.

And I might also make a Dragon Hunter, fighting only the branded, undead and sons of svanir and going after dragon lieutenants even at lower level. Oh and there's the priory researcher, who'll search for all the lore-related fluff in Tyria.

What are your ideas on how to play a cool character in game, and give him a personality?

ps: yes, this is also user-generated content, or at least stories/ways of playing. I don't need a game developper to give me loads of tools to be creative. I roleplayed with Playmobil and Lego, And they were much less flexible than the games we have now. Use your imagination!

Comments

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,311

How many of those ways are "correct" ways of playing?

don'tbanme, don'tbanme, don'tbanme

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• PoufPouf Member Posts: 341

Seriously, don't even try explorer without POI'S location... Vista ok. not POI, some are just stupid to get and you'll miss them for no reason..

i'm not talking about hidden caves or top of mountains, more like those at almost the middle of a lake out of nowhere and such..

But man you can try

• UrkoUrko Member Posts: 88
    Kill anything that moves is a great way to play :P
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by Urko

You sound like a Charr. >_>

I think a fun thing to play in GW2 would be a Sylvari lumberjack. :D

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    I preserved all leather armor that looked like a pirate's outfit. I plan to just hang-out in Bloodtide Coast and shout "Yarr!" to anyone who pass me by. Here's my toon: http://imgur.com/oFS78
  • tomfabiotomfabio Member UncommonPosts: 25
    Originally posted by Deivos
    Originally posted by Urko

You sound like a Charr. >_>

I think a fun thing to play in GW2 would be a Sylvari lumberjack. :D

:O

And what will your alt be, a Charr Kitten-Killer?

...Murderer.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

OP has to try REALLY hard to have fun in GW2. 

I'm not willing to put that much effort.  If I can't have fun playing like I want to, then what's the point.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I spend a great deal of time just wandering around killing mobs of convenience and doing DEs if I feel like it. Make a fair amount of cash that way selling craft materials on the trade post

BTW sounds yto me liker the OPP is not having to put forth any effort at all to ghave fun, just acceptiong the fun that comes his way. Great way to game , beats the crap out of running from quest hub to quest hub in a rush to the mythical end game of forced raiding  hoping to get a gear drop like most MMO's

I miss DAoC

• zevni78zevni78 Member UncommonPosts: 1,146
    I find this game too much fun, spent the last 2 days in character creator playing with charr and norn for the first time.
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Well, I have a unique way of playing. 

I started out with 1 character. When I got him to level 10, I randomly created a new race/profession. When I got either of those characters to 20, I randomly created another race/profession. Then once again when I got one of those characters to 30. This will be the plan at 40, 50, 60, and so on until I have all 8 professions created.

While in game, using random.org, I randonly choose which healing and utility skills I'll use that playthrough. That way I force myself to try new and interesting approaches to encounters, instead of the most optimal. Interesting enough, some of those utility and healing spells helped groups out a lot, instead of optimally upping my damage.

Oh, and I only play 1 level at a time, then I spectate a LoL game, play a LoL game, then randomly choose which character I'll play and level him up 1 level, rince and repeat.

Everything is done randomly so that I never know going in which character I'll play that hour, and which skills I'll be using. 

Of course, I shoot for 100% map completion on every character. I also never do hearts above my level. If I'm lacking xp for the next level after doing my story mission and heart, I do DE's or WvWvW.

• ohpowerohpower Member Posts: 72

Hey, nice ideas guys. I do think I'll have one of my characters "be a pirate" in Bloodtide coast, but maybe more like after leveling him/her to 80; and I'm certain the devs will create pirate-related events.

@pouf: you know, I'm not looking for 100% completion, that's a possible objective for some, but I find it too... well completionist. That's not how I play a game. So if I miss a POI, I miss it. In any case, I don't do heart quests, because they're too much of a hassle when there's no DE. It's not fun enough, so if I don't want the karma vendor, I say goodbye and go see some other land (and I outlevel nearly every zone I do).

@nate1980: wow... mathematics. Not really my kink, but the idea of randomly choosing skills must really give you a better sense of what your character can do. I'm into more lore-related or RP-ish stuff, but still, interesting.