Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[TIP] Downed State and Targets

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

I have learned that if I get into a downed state, switching my target to one that is almost dead will get me back up quicker. Anyone else notice this?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Well yes but I THINK that you will still die, have that burning animation around you, unless you kill the one that put you in the downed state.  At least that's what I've gathered from my playing.  I'm just not sure how you know which mob that was.
  • JaggaSpikesJaggaSpikes Member UncommonPosts: 430
    i think it was just "kill something" to get back up. or even that something that you damaged, dies, either by you or otherwise.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Any enemy you kill while downed will rally you. Even an enemy killed by someone else, as long as you've damaged it before. Looking for low-health targets when damaged is highly recommended.
  • MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Well yes but I THINK that you will still die, have that burning animation around you, unless you kill the one that put you in the downed state.  At least that's what I've gathered from my playing.  I'm just not sure how you know which mob that was.

Are you playing a warrior ? - Since their 3'rd downed state ability is something called vengeance - when you use this you'll be able to fight normally for like 15 seconds I Think it is, where as if you kill an enemy there's a chance you'll do a full recovery - I believe there is a trait actually making this chance into a 100% chance to rally fully.

If you switch to a target in downed state, which hass less health, and manage to kill it, or help kill it, you will do a full recovery no matter what.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    I even try to save one target with low HP just for that reason. Its a very good strategy.
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    ive learned that you can still kill sonmeone in pvp while your down. That +50% damage while down trait on the guardian is a hoot.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

In my humble opinion, the downed state is a completely unnecessary pile of c...

Please tar and feather the designer who is responsible for that mess.

Hodor!

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by gwei1984

In my humble opinion, the downed state is a completely unnecessary pile of c...

Please tar and feather the designer who is responsible for that mess.

I feel the same, I've enjoyed the downed mechanic a handful of times, but utterly despise it with eternal hate for the hundred of other times. In PvP it gets just extra stupid when people are falling on their asses left and right, then get back up when someone else gets dropped on their ass, then get dropped again, then back up, down...

Not to mention the stupid skills that thiefs and mesmers have in downed, making it a full time job that can take quite some time to actually finish them. And every other class has at least one ability to reset the finisher once. I often just drop them down and leave since I already got the "kill" bonus, unless there's unsecure cap point near. The mechanic is so stupid on some cases that I have to just abandon some classes that I dropped and think "whatever" in PvP not to meh-out from PvP for a while.

It's not that it would be hard to finish some classes, it's just that I dont want to play this dumb cat and mouse mini-game after I dropped someone in PvP, it's not on my list of things to do or stuff that I'm excited about when I enter PvP. Only solutions to keep the downed is give the downed players so little health that they can be killed by one or two normal hits AND double the CD on stupid abilities when downed..

:)

• nastyjmannastyjman Member Posts: 161
    Don't self-heal when your enemy is around 10%. If you're good enough and kill them without healing, you just saved yourself a cooldown. But if you go down, spamming attack and killing your target will rally you up.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    one of my traits as a elementalist fires off a lava geyser when I go into downed state, has saved my bacon more than once. It has a 30 second lockout though, so if there are multiple mobs you better have a heal spell or quick retreat ready to go

I miss DAoC

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Any enemy you kill while downed will rally you. Even an enemy killed by someone else, as long as you've damaged it before. Looking for low-health targets when damaged is highly recommended.

Yep... rally, either an invulnerability skill or dodge, and spam 6 like a sunuvabiscuit.

If you rally before you can do any of those things and your attacker has even half their health, your survival chance is pretty slim.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by Robsolf

Yep... rally, either an invulnerability skill or dodge, and spam 6 like a sunuvabiscuit.

If you rally before you can do any of those things and your attacker has even half their health, your survival chance is pretty slim.

~snicker~ in a big batttle it is soemthing like "he's up..no he is down...wait he is up again...errr maybe not

can we say jack in the box LOL

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog

~snicker~ in a big batttle it is soemthing like "he's up..no he is down...wait he is up again...errr maybe not

can we say jack in the box LOL

Great!  Now I have that horrible Chumbawumba song playing in my head!  image

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

lol I kept reading "...have that burning sensation...". On my ranger, my heal ability cures most banes. I must be "downed" long enough, for I don't recall ever NOT having my 6 ability available when I get back up.

Looks like many have noticed this, too. Not much of a tip, then :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Maggon

Are you playing a warrior ? - Since their 3'rd downed state ability is something called vengeance - when you use this you'll be able to fight normally for like 15 seconds I Think it is, where as if you kill an enemy there's a chance you'll do a full recovery - I believe there is a trait actually making this chance into a 100% chance to rally fully.

If you switch to a target in downed state, which hass less health, and manage to kill it, or help kill it, you will do a full recovery no matter what.

Ah yes, I'm a warrior.  And I've noticed that if I pop vengeance and kill the lowest health mob I will still sometimes die.  I guess I need to look into it more.

Ah yes, I'm a warrior.  And I've noticed that if I pop vengeance and kill the lowest health mob I will still sometimes die.  I guess I need to look into it more.

I'm pretty sure you die no matter what.  I was dropped by one final mob, I did vengeance, killed them definitively, and 5-6 seconds later, I dropped dead.

• ManifoldManifold Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Yes, vengence normally just lets you fight for a short period before dieing fully. There is a trait called Sweet Revenge that causes you to rally when you kill someone in your vengence state.

WildStar is like if Ratchet and Clank had a baby with Beyond Good & Evil and that baby was raised by World of Warcraft and Spore and babysat on the weekends by the aliens from Space Jam. It's an ugly bastard worth a few laughs but not much else.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

Yes, vengence normally just lets you fight for a short period before dieing fully. There is a trait called Sweet Revenge that causes you to rally when you kill someone in your vengence state.

This trait is essential for me!  I've used it so many times and finished off enemies.

I've also noticed that NPCs target people first that are downed too.

• cloud8521cloud8521 Member Posts: 878

I'm pretty sure you die no matter what.  I was dropped by one final mob, I did vengeance, killed them definitively, and 5-6 seconds later, I dropped dead.

each kill is a possibility of coming back (kinda bs in my book) warriors downed sucks.

its borning  hammer and  rock? come on  isnt there somethihng better a warrior could do?

vengance is cool..... until you  see you have only 12 secconds  and a diceroll. 1 kill is a roll.  it feels less like you are in control at that point

only with the trait is it any worth