Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anet goes back on there word

124»

Comments

• ThorbrandThorbrand Member Posts: 1,198
    Originally posted by Fozzik

I think it's sort of hilarious how people can simultaneously complain that there is nothing to do, and that things take too long to do.

Are there time sinks in the game? Yep. Games are a time sink...that's sort of the point. If you enjoy playing the game, it's not a grind...because you're having fun while you work towards those rare rewards that really have meaning exactly because of how long it takes to get them.

People are so used to feeling like they HAVE to play optimally all the time...that there must always be a perfect, best, fastest way to do everything and they can't enjoy themselves unless they are min/maxing it to death. ArenaNet designed a game around other people...a game that works best when you stop worrying and just play. Everything will come in time if you just relax and enjoy the journey, and stop taking it so seriously.

I don't think they went back on their word at all. Pretty much everything in the game is entirely optional and free-form so that players can choose what's fun and dabble in everything...and surprisingly the game design works best when you do exactly that. Well done, ArenaNet...exactly what I was hoping for and expecting.

First line says it all here.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525

Honestly the whole grind argument is garbage for a few reasons.

1. The length of time it takes to get the gear can easily be done if you actually leveled crafting or have friends with max level. The cost for all the parts of gear for crafting epics is a lot less than the cost to buy it in the AH. This number is even smaller if you bother to go out and get the mats rather than buying it. All the while, you get money from doing so and can buy maybe a few pieces rather than just 1.

2. Instances are a huge cash cow. 25 silver a run and most are really not that hard. As long as you run an instance around level 75 and up, you can easily get globs for crafting and that will get you more gear.

3. Regardless of the time, there won't be some magical instance later on that drops better gear. There's no tiers in this game. So once you get the best gear, you don't have to go get another set with better stats a few months down the road. So if they made the gear grind as quick as it is in WoW (which I can honestly say it is) then you don't have to go work your way to yet another set of gear.

Don't get why anyone wants everything handed to them on a silver platter instead of actually putting in that little bit of effort that will last you the rest of your experience in the game.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Thorbrand

I think it's sort of hilarious how people can simultaneously complain that there is nothing to do, and that things take too long to do.

Are there time sinks in the game? Yep. Games are a time sink...that's sort of the point. If you enjoy playing the game, it's not a grind...because you're having fun while you work towards those rare rewards that really have meaning exactly because of how long it takes to get them.

People are so used to feeling like they HAVE to play optimally all the time...that there must always be a perfect, best, fastest way to do everything and they can't enjoy themselves unless they are min/maxing it to death. ArenaNet designed a game around other people...a game that works best when you stop worrying and just play. Everything will come in time if you just relax and enjoy the journey, and stop taking it so seriously.

I don't think they went back on their word at all. Pretty much everything in the game is entirely optional and free-form so that players can choose what's fun and dabble in everything...and surprisingly the game design works best when you do exactly that. Well done, ArenaNet...exactly what I was hoping for and expecting.

First line says it all here.

Except that it is goes without saying that they are either refering to something "new" to do or something "interesting/entertaining" to do, but definitely nothing "old and boring" to do, which is why the statement makes sense in many cases.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by lizardbones

Originally posted by cura
    You should learn to use commas. I really mean no offence but i cant force myself to read this gibberish

Just an FYI, we don't bother with spelling or grammar corrections here

lol who the hell do you think you are?

who's this 'we'?

Many care about spelling and grammar, and see the deterioration of these skills as directly linked to parallel flaws within the brain and people's reasoning.  If you can't write it out, you probably can't think it out.  Commas are a pause, periods move you from one thought to the next, paragraphs from idea to idea.  And my god if you can't get word order right, then you probably aren't putting together coherent thoughts.

I'm old, english is my first language.  I know others have excuses, but the young should read more than they write until they are ready to, and ESL's should state as much. 

I've been posting on mmo forums for a long time, and the ability to write coherent thoughts is getting rarer.  It takes a village, and we need to have standards if we are to have any hope of reversing this trend.

I'm against sniping at a single mistake or two just to get under someone's skin or to ignore what they have to say, but we also can't ignore the posts that are almost unreadable.

/rant

• FozzikFozzik Member UncommonPosts: 539

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

Except that it is goes without saying that they are either refering to something "new" to do or something "interesting/entertaining" to do, but definitely nothing "old and boring" to do, which is why the statement makes sense in many cases.

It's a direct contradiction based solely on:
    1) unrealistic expectations
    2) an overriding sense of short-attention-span entitlement

It has nothing at all to do with a subjective discussion on whether something is entertaining for a particular individual.

Please list the games which provide nothing but new things to do for hundreds of hours. There aren't any. Games are all repetitive. Does GW2 provide long-term goals? Without a doubt it does...and in the only way possible - by giving you things to do that take a long time to do. There is literally no way for a game company to design a game with hundreds of hours of play where everything is easily obtainable in a few hours. Do you see the contradiction?

This magical game that people seem to be looking for where all goals are immediately obtainable but there is unlimited new and untried game play for hundreds or thousands of hours...it's a pipe dream. There is no game that can provide for both of those conflicting desires. You either have no long-term goals and the game is over after a month for most players, or you provide goals that involve playing the game for a long time (obviously with some repetition, since unlimited content is impossible).

GW2 does provide a TON of content and very solid replayability for players to see and do...but no game can provide infinite content, especially considering how fast players want to consume games these days. Here people are complaining because they can't have the best stuff in the game in a few days. LOL. People don't even really know what they want.

Many people find the content in GW2 interesting / entertaining. That's an entirely subjective call...the point is that ArenaNet providing long-term objectives for those who are interested in long-term play does not mean they are forcing anyone to do anything, or going back on their word. It's all optional, and quite a bit more open and free-form than most other MMORPGs' progression paths.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by adam_nox

You should learn to use commas. I really mean no offence but i cant force myself to read this gibberish

who's this 'we'?

Many care about spelling and grammar, and see the deterioration of these skills as directly linked to parallel flaws within the brain and people's reasoning.  If you can't write it out, you probably can't think it out.  Commas are a pause, periods move you from one thought to the next, paragraphs from idea to idea.  And my god if you can't get word order right, then you probably aren't putting together coherent thoughts.

I'm old, english is my first language.  I know others have excuses, but the young should read more than they write until they are ready to, and ESL's should state as much. 

I've been posting on mmo forums for a long time, and the ability to write coherent thoughts is getting rarer.  It takes a village, and we need to have standards if we are to have any hope of reversing this trend.

I'm against sniping at a single mistake or two just to get under someone's skin or to ignore what they have to say, but we also can't ignore the posts that are almost unreadable.

/rant

I wouldn't honestly care about it... if it was only a missing comma here or there. When you can hardly find the point he is getting across due to the lack of fluency in his sentences, then you got grounds to start bitching... like the OP in this thread. There were a few times I had to reread a sentence because I either missed the meaning or it basically had none. And the more I read and reread, my brain started to hurt. It was like freshman english in college all over again. Just suprising that noone can form complete coherent sentences. I could care less about punctuation or abreviations or mispelled words... but FFS can you please make it readable enough that I'm not banging my head against a wall trying to understand exactly what you're trying to get at.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

I find the way you wrote that complaint about the OP to be a bit ironic. XD

Not sure what I can contribute to the thread itself. seems people corrected him early on the stat and item stuff. Didn't read all the way through so dunno what the status in on achievements, but I don't really find a monthly achievement including a PvP tast to be particularly aberrant to the game.

Part of the game is PvP, so occasionally tasks particular to PvP will pop up.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• Calhoun619Calhoun619 Member Posts: 126
    Originally posted by pmiles

Let's say for arguments sake that the absolute best gear only cost 35 copper and you could buy/equip it the day you hit level 80... then what?  You'd cry that there was no gear progression.  That you already had everything in game that ther was worth getting.  Then what?  Really, then what?

Go back to WoW... really, go back to WoW... Blizzard doesn't lie to you.  They just take your money.

Right on the money.

• MsGamerladyMsGamerlady Member UncommonPosts: 192

Originally posted by Kaelano1
    Has anyone else noticed every post lately that says something negative about gw2 must begin with...

"Don't get me wrong..."

"I love GW2 but..."

"Don't call me a troll..."

I understand cliques and all, but damn, people, you bullies have people so cowed they're afraid to speak their minds without citing qualifications like they're asking your permission. I feel that's disgusting.

It's par for the course in this day and age. It's common(popular?) to be a sour puss and bitch/moan about when someone has an ax to grind.

Lets be honest, not many who come here really care about conversation. They prefer bashing others over the head with their views trying to win converts ( or p.o folk for fun)to their pet argument.

IMO people shouldn't be afraid of discussing their views but there are some posters who are looking for an argument.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by travamars

Has anyone else noticed every post lately that says something negative about gw2 must begin with...

"Don't get me wrong..."

"I love GW2 but..."

I understand cliques and all, but damn, people, you bullies have people so cowed they're afraid to speak their minds without citing qualifications like they're asking your permission. I feel that's disgusting.

I've noticed that if a post isn't praising GW2 it gets locked here.Over and over.

And they call this a discussion forum.

I think people are just upset they spent $60 on this game and dont appriciate having their foolishness flaunted in their face.

Yeah people are real upset. You really fail hard when you know as little as you do. Typical hater troll, the less you know the more you can post.

Originally posted by adam_nox

who's this 'we'?

/rant

Stands up and applauds you. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

• SinakuSinaku Member UncommonPosts: 552

Just an FYI, we don't bother with spelling or grammar corrections here. If correct spelling or grammar is something you find necessary for communication, you should just move along. Misspelled words, bad punctuation, missing or extra capitalization, along with over used and misused contractions are all common occurrences. Some posts are just a stream of consciousness ramble. If we're lucky, they are short posts.

We would never get anything done at all if we spent our time trying to fix everyone's spelling and grammar mistakes.

** Addendum **

While we don't usually bother correcting grammar, we will apparently mock posts without mercy, for reasons including, but not limited to, grammar.

This is officially my favorite quote.
  • gladosrev2gladosrev2 Member CommonPosts: 203

60+ gold?? What game are you playing. You can get a FULL EXOTIC set for 9g TOTAL. I can craft it, in fact I did, for myself and a kinmate. Yes, people, that's it, 9g for a complete set, my char is already set. Where is the grind? Name one other MMO that lets you get the endgame set so fast? Takes about a few hours to get 400 in leatherworker to be able to craft it. You can make 1-2g casually playing the game without farming, a day. Some make 5g and more. I'm no't even counting crafting and selling profits. That means after one week even the slowest players can afford the endgame set, by doing NOTHING, bu exploring the game. No farming, no grinding.

And grind for a legendary is EXPECTED. Why, would you like to get a LEGENDARY weapon in a week, or a month even? Nope sir, you can get endgame wepons easily anyway. Keep in mind, a legendary is merely a skin. I don't know if I'll bother getting one, not sure if I like the riffle skin, but I love the complexity and difficulty of getting one. That's what I call a legendary weapon.

My Guild Wars 2 First Beta Weekend "reviewette" : http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/post/4944570/thread/349125#4944570

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51

"Don't get me wrong..."

"I love GW2 but..."

It's new launch fanboys, they act like religious fanatics and will bash you if you talk bad about whatever launch MMO they're hyped up about at the time.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• terrantterrant Member Posts: 1,683
    Originally posted by Yaoiman

"Don't get me wrong..."

"I love GW2 but..."

It's new launch fanboys, they act like religious fanatics and will bash you if you talk bad about whatever launch MMO they're hyped up about at the time.

Quick comment: The problem is that many of the deorgatory posts are not "I have a concern or problem. Here it is, here's my supporting argument, what do you guys think?" Instead they are "GW2 sux its just a clone of wow/rift/war/whatever and if you think otherwise you are a stupid fanboi"/

Not that there aren't idiots on the pro GW2 side too, but if you can't make a decent argument expect to be lambasted.

On to the original topic. Yes and no. There is nothing within core gameplay that forces you to do anything. Achievements are not core gameplay. Legendaries are tangental at best (Also, did they change the recipes again, because last time I looked none of the legendaries required WvW. Just a lot of gold and random crap)

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour

It's a direct contradiction based solely on:
    1) unrealistic expectations
    2) an overriding sense of short-attention-span entitlement

It has nothing at all to do with a subjective discussion on whether something is entertaining for a particular individual.

Please list the games which provide nothing but new things to do for hundreds of hours. There aren't any. Games are all repetitive. Does GW2 provide long-term goals? Without a doubt it does...and in the only way possible - by giving you things to do that take a long time to do. There is literally no way for a game company to design a game with hundreds of hours of play where everything is easily obtainable in a few hours. Do you see the contradiction?

This magical game that people seem to be looking for where all goals are immediately obtainable but there is unlimited new and untried game play for hundreds or thousands of hours...it's a pipe dream. There is no game that can provide for both of those conflicting desires. You either have no long-term goals and the game is over after a month for most players, or you provide goals that involve playing the game for a long time (obviously with some repetition, since unlimited content is impossible).

GW2 does provide a TON of content and very solid replayability for players to see and do...but no game can provide infinite content, especially considering how fast players want to consume games these days. Here people are complaining because they can't have the best stuff in the game in a few days. LOL. People don't even really know what they want.

Many people find the content in GW2 interesting / entertaining. That's an entirely subjective call...the point is that ArenaNet providing long-term objectives for those who are interested in long-term play does not mean they are forcing anyone to do anything, or going back on their word. It's all optional, and quite a bit more open and free-form than most other MMORPGs' progression paths.

I never claimed that there are games that provide nothing but new things for hundreds of hours, that's why I used the word "or". 

As for easily obtainable: if the content is not interesting enough, then yeah, it is not unreasonable to want it to be easily obtainable. If however, the content is interesting/entertaining, it can justify the goal to be hard to achieve. It comes down to taste, evidently. Can content remain interesting for long period of times? Sure, just look at all popular E-sport games. 

As for forcing: check my previous post #62 for why I disagree with you and why depending on context something may be mandatory that is otherwise optional in another context.

• demzdemz Member Posts: 25

"Don't get me wrong..."

"I love GW2 but..."

I agree. Everything following is not pointed at Kaelano. Unfortunately in every MMO since the dawn of time people have to give their gamer "qualifications", proclaim their non-hatred of the game they are talking about (pro or con) and then bash WoW as satan incarnate and all that is wrong with the world. I admit that last part is only most of the time, not always. I am fairly sure someone will invent a time machine to go back to the days of Everquest or Meridian so that they can bemoan WoW and whatever other game is "not cool" at the time.  I like WoW. I also like other games if they are good. 

People love having opinions and also love pointing out that it is just someones "opinion" when they disagree. HINT: your opinion that the OP is wrong is, wait for it, an opinion. 

I personally am starting to really dislike this game the more I play it. It is tedious and good lord, I feel like my character is weaker than a sack of rotten potatoes. I am the slayer of Issomir but god help me if a glorified ostrich gets a buddy to start pecking at me. Giant ice worm? Check. Anything else in the known world? not so check. 

• travamarstravamars Member CommonPosts: 417
    Originally posted by demz

"Don't get me wrong..."

"I love GW2 but..."

I agree. Everything following is not pointed at Kaelano. Unfortunately in every MMO since the dawn of time people have to give their gamer "qualifications", proclaim their non-hatred of the game they are talking about (pro or con) and then bash WoW as satan incarnate and all that is wrong with the world. I admit that last part is only most of the time, not always. I am fairly sure someone will invent a time machine to go back to the days of Everquest or Meridian so that they can bemoan WoW and whatever other game is "not cool" at the time.  I like WoW. I also like other games if they are good. 

People love having opinions and also love pointing out that it is just someones "opinion" when they disagree. HINT: your opinion that the OP is wrong is, wait for it, an opinion. 

I personally am starting to really dislike this game the more I play it. It is tedious and good lord, I feel like my character is weaker than a sack of rotten potatoes. I am the slayer of Issomir but god help me if a glorified ostrich gets a buddy to start pecking at me. Giant ice worm? Check. Anything else in the known world? not so check. 

He's starting to dislike GW2.

Call him a troll and check his grammer.

"Don't get me wrong..."

"I love GW2 but..."

He played and does not like it. Thats not a troll thats a legit complaint. Unlike others who make up lies to try and back their claims.

• demzdemz Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Rokurgepta

"Don't get me wrong..."

"I love GW2 but..."

He played and does not like it. Thats not a troll thats a legit complaint. Unlike others who make up lies to try and back their claims.

I think you are both saying the same thing :) I will admit I have taken for granted the auto-correct of non-mmorpg.com sites. It is a sickness really.