Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Hawken: MechWarrior On Bath Salts

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During PAX Prime, we had the opportunity to check out Adhesive Games' Hawken. So impressed were we by what we saw, that Hawken took home our Best Hybrid Award for the show. Find out why we liked what we saw and then leave us your thoughts in the comments.

I’ll admit that I didn’t know what to expect out of Hawken when we sauntered up to our appointment at PAX Prime. I’d been following MechWarrior Online for a while now, but Hawken was a complete unknown for me.  Imagine my surprise when I sat down with Producer Paul Loynd, played the game at Adhesive Games’ perma-crowded booth tucked away in the corner of the show, and quickly fell in love. Hawken is MechWarrior on Bath Salts. It’s fast, ridiculously easy to pick up, and incredibly adrenaline-boosting to dive into. By the end of my quick death-match, I’d gone from last place to 2nd narrowly missing the win by a few seconds more.  Where MechWarrior Online is more strategic, perhaps more “sim” oriented when it comes to giant mechs shooting each other, Hawken is breakneck speed, big explosions, and riotous fun.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Hawken: MechWarrior On Bath Salts.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50

Bath salts? What...

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Drigus

Bath salts? What...

lmao. i seen the topic and juat had to pop in.... made my day

• IntrinsicIntrinsic Member UncommonPosts: 60

Have you been in a hole for the last year or so? ;p this is looking stunning so far and can't wait for it, the environments and art style just screams awesomeness. Several vids on youtube about the game from their channel.

March Gameplay:

Early vid:

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Bath salts? What...

Exactly.  What in the world is that supposed to mean.  Game sounds fun.  Seems like games are coming out of the woodwork these days.

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Ozmodan

Bath salts? What...

Exactly.  What in the world is that supposed to mean.  Game sounds fun.  Seems like games are coming out of the woodwork these days.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_salts_(drug)

think he's pretty much saying "like mech warriors on crack"

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I guess its in reference to the guy in america that did somthing with bath salts and then started to eat someones face...

Anyway im not too sure i like the look of this.. a gigantic robot moving aronud so fast does not make sense... still ill probally check it out but think ill be enjoynig MWO a lot more..

• AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

So we're allowed to make drug refrences now?

The "press" is allowed use of drug refrences now?

Interesting.

(Just saying if you are going to compare and use a refrence like bathsalts, basically synthetic cocaine or meth you should probably be a bit smarter on disclaimers, at this point the lack of condoning...indicates condoning, and well we can see where this can go.

There is a reason you don't mention drugs in writing man...it is a real nightmare for liability.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Or for fuck sakes people!! Are you really going to play forum gestapo over a simple pop culture reference? I think some people who haunt this site won't be happy until they are able to complain enough to see every ounce (meant only as a unit of measurement and not a DRUG REFERENCE) of self expression squelched from these forums.

That said, I've always loved the idea of giant mech combat, but have yet to find an MMO adaptaion of it I enjoyed. Maybe Hawken will change that. Guess we'll have to see.

Thanks for the heads up.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,306

I thought it was a pretty hillarious reference, tbh.

It could go a couple of ways:

1. Hawken will eat the faces off of it's competion.

2. Hawken is a cleaner, smoother, more relaxed version of Mechwarrior. (picture a mech, in a bath, with candles)

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

And thet fact that this is basicly UT with robots is the reason i am going to go with MechWarriro Online. My old man reflexes can't really keep up with games like Hawken and Tribes that require split second reactions.

They have a nice look to stuff though and if you like that kind of gameplay it will be a very nice game.

This have been a good conversation

• floreairfootfloreairfoot Member Posts: 59

You had me at "bath salts" lol.

Keep an eye on the news people and maybe you'll enjoy the jokes too.

• lugallugal Member UncommonPosts: 671
    If this game has half the customization that the armored core series had, I'm on board. I really loved the armored core games. Never had a chance to do a tourney when the game was popular, but ah well.

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    The reviewer has a mishapen head
    Which means his opinion is skewed
    ...Aldous.MF'n.Huxley

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

Interesting.

(Just saying if you are going to compare and use a refrence like bathsalts, basically synthetic cocaine or meth you should probably be a bit smarter on disclaimers, at this point the lack of condoning...indicates condoning, and well we can see where this can go.

There is a reason you don't mention drugs in writing man...it is a real nightmare for liability.

That was the dumbest thing I've read all day.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Interesting.

Really? You're getting all PC over a reference to bath salts? REALLY?!? I... I don't have the words to...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q5mLjKI968g

Anyway, the game looks alright. The addition of PvE modes might get me playing, but until then I'll stick to sucking horribly at MWO.

• DalmontDalmont Member UncommonPosts: 272
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Interesting.

That was the dumbest thing I've read all day.

Agreed....although I now have a craving for a nice skin softening relaxing bath.

• SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,495
    Don't get the "press" confused with bloggers. :)
  • GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Originally posted by Tardcore

Or for fuck sakes people!! Are you really going to play forum gestapo over a simple pop culture reference? I think some people who haunt this site won't be happy until they are able to complain enough to see every ounce (meant only as a unit of measurement and not a DRUG REFERENCE) of self expression squelched from these forums.

That said, I've always loved the idea of giant mech combat, but have yet to find an MMO adaptaion of it I enjoyed. Maybe Hawken will change that. Guess we'll have to see.

Thanks for the heads up.

That pop culture reference is to a home brew drug that has caused several deaths in the last year or two. It is because of those deaths that it is a pop culture reference.  The staff using that reference violates their own Rules of Conduct related to illegal drugs.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
  • DarwaDarwa Member UncommonPosts: 2,181

Trivialising illegal drugs?

Shame on you.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

While these types of games can be fun....for me the endless wheel of meaningless matches has worn thin over the years. I can get into a game like that for about a week when it just starts to get tiresome.

I generally love the core gameplay to these types of games - I just want something with a bit more meat to em - some reason why the individual matches are good - a final you won or I won scenario after which the reset button is pushed and we start again from scratch. IE a longterm campaign in which a side can lose. I would love to see something like that in every MMO too. IE we struggle against the big bad dragon that will eat the world if it wakes up - I want a scenario in which the dragon wakes up and eats the world and then we start over again. Every game evolves over time and starting over can be even more fun the 2nd or 3rd time around if the game is designed around that type of experience.

• RazeeksterRazeekster Member UncommonPosts: 2,591
    Seriously... This isn't even funny. I know actual people whose lives have been destroyed by bath salts, so to joke about it.. Wow, I can't believe I'm seeing that from MMORPG.com who is always going after people who make the rudest little comments on the forums! It just blows my mind.

Smile

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Like these bath salts?  http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/1/1/31832-love-notes-healing-aromatherapy-cool-bath-salts-tote.html

Love Notes Healing Aromatherapy "Cool" Bath Salts Tote

Soak away stresses in a relaxing, fragrant spa bath. These fragrant bath crystals are made with natural Epsom salt, and soothe your body and mind with an aromatic bath experience. "Cool" fragrance contains aromas of white tea, soft mint, jasmine and lavender. Tote contains 12 packets of the 6-ounce bath crystals.

Yeah, I know folks like to talk about bath salts as a drug - but each time somebody mentions bath salts, I think about somebody taking a relaxing bath after a stressful day...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    There are so many school kids mixing up their first vat of salts right now...won't someone please think about the children!?!  [Stupid Flanders!]

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Hrmmm, in watching the gameplay videos at their site - it kind of reminds of what went wrong (IMHO) with the MW series in going from MW3 to MW4....

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• 3-4thElf3-4thElf Member Posts: 489
    Yes please.

a yo ho ho

• UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791

I love bath salts.  I use bath salts all the time.  I think more people should use bathsalts, relax, maybe chew on someones face.  Squeezing your buttcheeks together so hard has to be tiring. 

Not a fan of fast paced shooters, but the game sounds promising.  Bath salts and all.