Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GW1 skill system is superior to GW2

Comments

• DoomsDay01DoomsDay01 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    I honeslty hated hunting for elite skills in gw1. Now this is just me and I am sure there probably aren't many folks that agree with this, but I hate having to "find" skills. I am a long time mmo player and have hated it from the very first time that I remember it being introduced back in EQ1. Spells,skills,etc should not ever drop off mobs. I have no problem with going to a trainer and train, but being at the whim of a drop system is just horrible to me. In GW1's case though, it still kinda felt like that when you had to randomly find someone who may have elite skills. I just do not like that. I personally think a persons ability with their skills defines them much more than them having skills that others may have missed or couldn't afford to buy from some jerk who is trying to sell it on an auction house for stupidly insane prices.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by drakaena
    I don't feel GW2 is an MMO either. It's 3 separate co-op games.

please explain to me how PVE is co-op

GW2 is a persistent world - theres no dungeonfinder wisking you away to dungeon instances

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Betaguy
    GW1 is better all around imo... this is not a joke nore am I trolling.  I am being 1000% serious.

The UI alone made me want to punch myself in the face. I tried GW1 back in the day. Bought it (regretfully) installed it and withing 2 minutes of logging in I was screaming "OMG this is so horrible".

I forced myself to play it for an hour to see if it would go away and I was ready to jump in front of traffic. And I'm also being 100% serious.

GW2 is a pretty shallow game, but it didn't cause any of that pain the first one did and I can play it for a few hour session without wanting to kill myself. Instead I'm just bored by the time the session is over.

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88

Thats a good way to put it, for sure. I have never ever felt less connected to my team then I do in WvW, where in DAOC or planetside i wanted to win for my side. In WvW it was oh look a red name kill it. Not many really care, they just look for the little green circles on the mini map, and like cattle head to it.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

First off I am not a fan of GW2 at all. But you guys are comparing a game thats been out many years to a game thats been out a few weeks.  Right now GW2 is not worth playing IMO, end-game is laughable at best. The game needs atleast one expansion, and I am assuming devs makes a worthwhile expansion, otherwise it will take more than one.

Theres also another comment in this thread that called gw1 a co-opRPG, while acting like GW2 was better. Quite the contrary, atleast there was co-op play in GW1.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by Nadia

Wasn't my quote but it is easy to explain:

Everything is shared automatically. Someone runs by and shoots at your enemy, they get xp and possibly loot. A DE gets started, everyone is automatically involved for going there (and seemingly it is impossible to get under a gold unless you run through the area and touch nothing, shoot at nothing). I am honestly surprised how someone could see PvE as anything but co-op.

None of these are necessarily bad things. It stops kill stealing. It stops people from trying to keep others out of DEs because their reward/participation would be lessened (like in WAR). People don't hate each other for node grabbing. You even get XP for reviving another player. All around it keeps players happy with each other instead of resenting each other and excluding each other.

I am truly confused on how you would think PvE isn't co-op though.

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    Originally posted by Nadia

GW2 is a persistent world - theres no dungeonfinder wisking you away to dungeon instances

A persistant world with no need for anyone, that can t be replaced by heroes/mercs, whatever you want to call them.

Originally posted by SnarlingWolf

I am truly confused on how you would think PvE isn't co-op though.

it was my poor judgement - i often group co-op and lobby game together  (read: GW1 and WOW dungeon finder)

and GW2 does not feel like a lobby game

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Xzen
    I don't think GW1 was a better game but I do think they need to bring back skill capture. It just adds another part to the game.

This is where I stand on the matter as well.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by Magnetia

I miss hunting for elite skills.

I miss making builds,.

I miss having heroes,

I miss mixing up heroes to maximize effectiveness.

GW2 should have:

Made elites harder to get.

Secondary classes.

The metagame in GW1 was far far FAR superior to GW2 metagame.

150+ hours

agree 100%

• UproarUproar Member UncommonPosts: 521
    Agree - GW1 Skill system was vastly better then this meager set of skills.  I am disappointed in this one area.  Happy with the improved reliance on weapon types, but more skill mix is needed (perhaps not to the degree of GW1, but some in-between).

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I miss making builds,.

I miss having heroes,

GW2 should have:

Secondary classes.

150+ hours

I agree 100%. The skill system in GW 2, altough innovative, feels a bit shallow and simplistic. 

• RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    Originally posted by toddze

First off I am not a fan of GW2 at all. But you guys are comparing a game thats been out many years to a game thats been out a few weeks.  Right now GW2 is not worth playing IMO, end-game is laughable at best. The game needs atleast one expansion, and I am assuming devs makes a worthwhile expansion, otherwise it will take more than one.

Theres also another comment in this thread that called gw1 a co-opRPG, while acting like GW2 was better. Quite the contrary, atleast there was co-op play in GW1.

More or less I feel that it made the same mistake Square-Enix did with FFXIV.  They had a wondeful base reference in FFXI, and yet it seemed like they tossed most of that out the window. While GW1 to GW2 isn't a MMO to MMO like FFXI to FFXIV.  There were still things from GW1 that people liked that would have given GW2 depth that was just discarded. Which is IMO one of the reasons why I can't really like Anet.  When they can't fix things they tend to just discard it.  Trinity can't fix so we'll make everyone DPS/CC/Healers.  People not wanting to group.  We'll fix that by getting rid of tagging and fill the zone with localized public quest. (Because there is nothing dynamic about more then half the DE's you run across.)   Too many skills makes for cookie cutter builds and too tough to balance.  We'll fix that by removing pretty much all your choices.

Did I think GW1 was the greatest CRPG ever? Nope. It was fun though.  Cookie cutter builds at least you had a choice, those same skills that people claim useless, there were always people that still used them, but you know what? At least they had the option of choosing them.  I find it really ironic that people thank Anet for giving them freedom in GW2 when most of it has been stripped away.  You do not play how you want to play.  You play within the very strict boundaries of how they tell you, you can play.

You can just dismiss this as another ranting from a 5 Signet Warrior.  Who doesn't think that giving me passives and no new active abiilties makes up for telling me how to use my Greatsword.  Let me go catch my warrior, my only GreatSword AOE has sent me spinning off into the horizon. Sure would be nice if I had a choice of spinning in place or not...

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• Preacher26Preacher26 Member UncommonPosts: 381

I miss making builds,.

I miss having heroes,

GW2 should have:

Secondary classes.

150+ hours

I do miss the skill system of GW1 as far as customization. I dont mind having skills locked to a specific weapon type but thats it.. pick a weapon and your stuck with those 5 skills. But it does make balacing classes much easier for the devs.

Who knows what will come with xpacs. I am guessing new classes and/or new weapon types for the current classes.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

I wonder how many of you talking about customization have actually done more than some PvE missions and actually engaged in any serious GW1 content?

The skill choice is so restricted if you want to be efficient it is ridiculous.

As a GW1 player with around 10K hours spent in the game, the fact pretty much all GW2 skils are useful was a godsend.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Hunting eliete skills was kinda cool, but I like the ease of unlocking them. But the meta game in GW1 proph isn't that much different than the system we have now in terms of complexity. Traits + weapon combination + armor combination + utility skills = pretty complex meta game. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360

I really do love GW2 - But I must agree with this, even talked to some of my guildies about it - well first of you had a lot of skills in GW1 to actually choose from - but having to go out and capturing the elites was exciting - though it actually required a bit of work, I do believe that was part of GW1's exploration, and could have had been part of GW2's as well.

I don't really miss the dual-class system thing, at all, never really used it all that much, but to actually sit down and make builds was one of the things I did a lot of in GW1, and certainly miss doing that a lot in GW2, atleast it seems a lot more easy to do in GW2, just with fewer skills >_<

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by toddze

There was no Co-op in GW1 - you could hench or Hero everything.  Where is the 'CO-OP' in that?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

I hear GW1 skill system is similar to the TSW Ability Wheel. The freedom to build in TSW is a meta gamers wet dream. I would spend a couple hours a day making new builds and planning what I need next. 

Like WoW, Swtor, I can't do that here. GW2 does give more than these two games but falls short of the customization of RIFT and TSW.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988

I miss making builds,.

I miss having heroes,

GW2 should have:

Secondary classes.

150+ hours

Hunting skills was both fun and annoying.  And btw in GW2 to unlocks an elite skill you need to hunt a lot more to get 10 or 30 points. The system in GW2 dont really allow skill hunting. As for making builds I disagree. Yes Traits make smaller difference then chamging the skill itself, but howmany "useless" skills are there in GW? Like 4/5 of all skills are never used or in very specific situations, only in PvE.

Then it come the ballancing issue.

Heroes and henches also dont fit the open world.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Roin

More or less I feel that it made the same mistake Square-Enix did with FFXIV.  They had a wondeful base reference in FFXI, and yet it seemed like they tossed most of that out the window. While GW1 to GW2 isn't a MMO to MMO like FFXI to FFXIV.  There were still things from GW1 that people liked that would have given GW2 depth that was just discarded. Which is IMO one of the reasons why I can't really like Anet.  When they can't fix things they tend to just discard it.  Trinity can't fix so we'll make everyone DPS/CC/Healers.  People not wanting to group.  We'll fix that by getting rid of tagging and fill the zone with localized public quest. (Because there is nothing dynamic about more then half the DE's you run across.)   Too many skills makes for cookie cutter builds and too tough to balance.  We'll fix that by removing pretty much all your choices.

Did I think GW1 was the greatest CRPG ever? Nope. It was fun though.  Cookie cutter builds at least you had a choice, those same skills that people claim useless, there were always people that still used them, but you know what? At least they had the option of choosing them.  I find it really ironic that people thank Anet for giving them freedom in GW2 when most of it has been stripped away.  You do not play how you want to play.  You play within the very strict boundaries of how they tell you, you can play.

You can just dismiss this as another ranting from a 5 Signet Warrior.  Who doesn't think that giving me passives and no new active abiilties makes up for telling me how to use my Greatsword.  Let me go catch my warrior, my only GreatSword AOE has sent me spinning off into the horizon. Sure would be nice if I had a choice of spinning in place or not...

+1.  Nice comments that articulates a lot of the restricted feeling I am getting in GW2.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

There were many useless Elites in GW1. Example Wither was absolutely useless and was only worth using in specific builds in PvP. I can name a few more - Keystone Signet, Lyssa's Balance, and Decapitate and those are off the top of my head.

It seems they make sure that all the skills are useful in GW2 - that is so positive in my  book.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by Maggon I really do love GW2 - But I must agree with this, even talked to some of my guildies about it - well first of you had a lot of skills in GW1 to actually choose from - but having to go out and capturing the elites was exciting - though it actually required a bit of work, I do believe that was part of GW1's exploration, and could have had been part of GW2's as well.   I don't really miss the dual-class system thing, at all, never really used it all that much, but to actually sit down and make builds was one of the things I did a lot of in GW1, and certainly miss doing that a lot in GW2, atleast it seems a lot more easy to do in GW2, just with fewer skills >_<

GW2's metagame has as much depth as GW1 Prophecies. I wonder if everyone who is saying that its way more shallow never really metagamed for PvP. GW1s PvE metaa was as easy as playing a warlock in WoW

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    GW1 was so boring compared to GW2.

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by toddze Theres also another comment in this thread that called gw1 a co-opRPG, while acting like GW2 was better. Quite the contrary, atleast there was co-op play in GW1.

person probably got the meaning wrong

GW1 was a CORPG - Competitive Online RPG