Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 like an online version of Skyrim?

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Also skyrim isn't a sandbox, its a hybrid.

I guess you could call it a sandbox if you are heavily into messing about with the editor / construction set though. But hell you could call half life 2 a sandbox in that case - messing about with hammer.
  • TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    GW2 is like Skyrim - yes, in the same way a rock is like water.
  • RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    I wouldn't say that it's like Skyrim.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084
    Yes, it has the same horribly imprecise mouse control as Skyrim.

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by rikilii
    Yes, it has the same horribly imprecise mouse control as Skyrim.

LOL- Thats funny as hell. =P

Great Answer.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by casshyr
    Also, do you need to be part of a guild to enjoy dungeons? If I'm more of a game-loner type where I don't really want to be part of any guild, but just want to explore, can I still do those dungeons? 

You can do the story mode of any dungeon with a group of random players, provided they aren't completely behind on gear, and have a least a basic understanding of how to play their profession.

Explorable mode is intended to be played with a well-equipped and well-coordinated group. You may want to make at least a few friends online if you want to tackle those, and you'll want to make yourself familiar with combos and group combat mechanics.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Also, do you need to be part of a guild to enjoy dungeons? If I'm more of a game-loner type where I don't really want to be part of any guild, but just want to explore, can I still do those dungeons?

First of all, the game is not much like Skyrim. What comes to the dungeons though, for instanced group content you need a group, but open world you can explore without the help of others. Though some hidden caves / puzzles can have a bit tough mobs sometimes.

The group content dungeons arent much about exploration imo anyway, the content is more tailored for completing the challenge rather than exploring. At least to my limited experience on dungeons.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by Denambren

Skyrim is an awesome open world sandbox RPG

It's awesome that I agree with, but it's not a sandbox. All the content is fixed in the game. It's a static world with triggers for events. Surely that's not a definition of a sandbox game.

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49

I have over 350 hours in Skyrim and probably over 100 hours in GW2 and based on the way I play I can definitely see similarities. Though I spend the majority of my time exploring, crafting and gathering.  With quests thrown in here and there.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607
    Originally posted by GrumpyCharr
    I wouldn't say that it's like Skyrim.

At higher levels it feels like Skyrim, to me, as you can wander all over the map and find a challenge.  The big difference in this respect is that your level is lowered to match an area but not raised; whereas Skyrim just matches the game world to you.  Obviously the Skyrim method wouldn't be feasible in any MMO without having heavily sharded areas(areas instance matched to your level, or having advancement become trivial(your level matched to the area, higher or lower).

Again, I said it FEELS like Skyrim to me for those reasons and a handful of others, but I wouldn't go nearly as far as to say that it's LIKE Skyrim.  It still uses a UI bar interface which makes combat much different.  It uses tab targeting, though other creatures in the attack radius will still be damaged if ya wave yer sword at 'em.  And you have much more control over your advancement in Skyrim than you do in GW2. 

But as far as the world you're in is concerned and how you go about traveling it, I feel alot of similarities. 

Anybody that says GW2 is small, even when compared to Skyrim, is smoking some serious crack.  I'm not sure that Skyrim is the size, area, or quest content of even half of GW2.  The biggest cities in Skyrim are maybe between 1 and 2 slices of the Divinity's Reach pie, sizewise.  And the other races in GW2 have their own good sized cities.

With either game, like Loke said, the word "sandbox" is a stretch.  Skyrim is more "sandbox" than GW2 due to your open advancement, but hey, TSW has open advancement, too.  That doesn't make it a sandbox.

So, OP, I guess it depends on what appeals to you most about Skyrim.  If it's the big world and how every bit of it is still available and useful to you as you advance, GW2 could well be down your alley.  If it's the character advancement or the combat, GW2 is basically an improved (IMO) MMO system whose choice is based as much on the weapon type(s) you choose as much as your class.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629

Lol, not even close. Skyrim has much more than GW2 and to everyone above saying otherwise is just simply delusional.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88
    It almost makes me throw up a little to say GW2 and Skyrim are alike in the same sentence. Please stop with the terrible posts.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    No, but ESO will be just like GW2.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman

They are trying, certainly.

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292
    Funny enough I've thought exactly that many times I've gone through my screenshot folder. The feeling of being in a large scale epic land turmoiled by evil around every corner, offering something exciting to see at every turn ... felt very much like Skyrim to me... even visually.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

GW2 does not get their toes where Skyrim has it heels.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Naqaj
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman

They are trying, certainly.

More ridiculas posts, Elder Scrolls Online is nothing like GW2.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Vidir

GW2 does not get their toes where Skyrim has it heels.

And Skyrim doesn't have its toes where Vanguard has its thighs.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065

Might not be for some people... but at least for me, though I'm not that advanced into the game (one level 30, one level 10 so far) I'm getting the same vibe from GW2 than I did with Skyrim.

Let me explain. I do agree that there are lots of things skyrim do very well that aren't in GW2 (the open ended skills system, for example) and things that GW2 does that skyrim don't (WvW, for example), mainly because they're in different genres... however, the one thing that kept me playing in skyrim wasn't the skills system, or the storyline.. it was the exploration. Just wandering around in the world, seeing what that icon on the compass was, finding a new cave and going in to see what was inside, checking what was behind that mountain or even if I could reach it, and so on.

That's what I'm loving the most of GW2, the exploration. Granted, lots of things are marked in the map (hearts, points of interests, skill challenges, vistas) but there are also lots of other things big and small you can find just wandering around the map that aren't marked anywhere on it. Just yesterday I found a cave that wasn't marked as anything special on the map, and inside there's this big jumping puzzle, lots of platforms with crows that if you stepped on them it would make you slip and fall on an area full with enemies below (you had to wait until the crows took flight to pass them) and several norn that you had to fight (shapeshifted into the different animal spirits) for them to let you pass ahead. No real idea what's at the end, of even if there's anything at the end (had to go to sleep, but it's on my list of things to do) but that's just one of lots of things I've found that aren't marked on the maps, and I bet there are lots I'm still yet to find.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• gboostergbooster Member UncommonPosts: 712

Not that it is alot like Skyrim, but my playstyle is alot like how I played Skyrim. Which is to just wander around with no idea where I am going, doing my best to get into some wild stuff. I usually pick one of the starting cities and just head out the front door, following events as they occur. When I find portal to a higher level area I will go there until the area becomes too tough.

It's a fun way to play instead of trying to turn the game into a WoW like power gaming grind.

• kertinkertin Member UncommonPosts: 259
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    No, its much more then skyrim and wow packed together.

:D:D:D:D:D:D...And I thought I am troll!....

• TalulaRoseTalulaRose Member RarePosts: 1,247
    Skyrim has better character developement than GW2.
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by asmkm22 Guild Wars 2 is nothing close to an "Online Skyrim," for better or for worse.  It's not open world, for one, and it's not first person.  There isn't a whole lot of exploration either, although quite a few fanbois here will probably pop in and try and convince you otherwise.  There are certainly places to run around to, but the maps just aren't that big.

There are things to explore. There are hiddn puzzles, hindden chest, hidden bosses, hidden cool looking structures etc. Its not about being fanboyish, its about most people who say "there isn't any reason to explore" simply haven't found most of the stuff.

AT OP: No, its not like skyrim: its an action orrintated themepark game with person story choices similar to say KOTOR, but with less impact on the actual game world since its an MMORPG and not a single player game. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

If by "like Skyrim" you mean an open-world, non-linear, non-directed themepark, then no.

Otherwise: no.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

If by "like Skyrim" you mean an open-world, non-linear, non-directed themepark, then no.

Otherwise: no.

Maybe you're playing it wrong.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "