Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[mod edit - Why don't you like TSW?]

Comments

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by Wizardry

What i notice is a LOT of people seem to use Characters models as an excuse when in reality EVERY single game uses pretty much the exact same quality models.The rest is just tattoos,decals ,hair color/styles really not a lot that is worth not playing a game over.

The other FACT is that other than JUST the face,your entire MODEL is covered in gear ,so why would something you can't even see be a problem?

It baffles to me look at ONLY one possible answer,they really are not interested in a new game and just stretching for any reason to not play.

What? Covered in what gear?  There is no armor.  All stat gear is invisible at the moment other than your weapons.

The game is made to let you look how you want to look.  To wear the clothes you want because they have NO STATS.  The only time your character is "covered in gear" is in PvP.  Which, everyone wears a faction uniform to reduce rendering of all the different clothes.  It's supposed to be for performance in a big PvP environment.

Heads.  FUncom has never been good with heads. 

The models are pretty stiff too.  A lot of the clothes follow certain trends as well.  Hello skinny jeans...

The problem is, one of the game's sell points was looking how you want to look.  That means people will want to look "cool" "bad***" and unique.  The character creation has way too few options for a game made to be this way.  It should have been obvious to anyone with half a brain that people would want lots of choices.  It doesn't.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by paroxysm

The models are pretty stiff too.

Yeah, these are problems I have with any game that doesn't do them right.  They're not BIG problems, but character creation is your first real introduction to an MMO, and if you're not impressed by it, it could sour the experience.  In fact, one of the reasons I liked Aion and Perfect World at first, before realizing they were both pretty dull, was how fun it was to create a wide variety of characters.  Then there was APB, which went downhill a lot quicker after CC, but had much better models and heads than TSW.  A FREE TO PLAY at that.

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

I played bit in Beta.

When I imagine game with zombies and other undead things - then Valve's left 4 dead is best from that genre. The Secret world was nothing like that. - It was just pretty basic theme park MMORPG. Mobs were standing and spawning to their locations. Killing them was simple - agro too many and you are dead. Agro suitable count - and after awhile you win. There was no similar feeling like in L4D where you hear zombies coming from through door and walls. There was no piles of dead zombies after fight. Just pretty standard MMO stuff (bit better hidden thought). No fear - no feeling.

Second problem was that when I heard that people started to recruit certain builds to dungeons. It was all over again holy trinity and countless hours of waiting that healer or tank build. No thanks.

Third problem was character customization. Not enough options. Nothing cool to wear (like latex catstuit from Underworld).

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Originally posted by paroxysm

The models are pretty stiff too.

Yeah, these are problems I have with any game that doesn't do them right.  They're not BIG problems, but character creation is your first real introduction to an MMO, and if you're not impressed by it, it could sour the experience.  In fact, one of the reasons I liked Aion and Perfect World at first, before realizing they were both pretty dull, was how fun it was to create a wide variety of characters.  Then there was APB, which went downhill a lot quicker after CC, but had much better models and heads than TSW.  A FREE TO PLAY at that.

While i do agree TSW's CC is bland and lacking more options IMHO, and one of the things i too didn't like about the game (not the worst, not good either), APB's CC is one of the best i can think off for online games, probably only beaten by EVE's.

So i find that comparasion pretty bad since not only does it beat P2P games but also F2P and B2P ones.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    So you agree with me, but find the comparison "bad" because I didn't mention all the games that APB's CC is better than, in a thread about TSW.  Ok, whatever.
  • DarksixDarksix Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Why was the fact that the PVP in game sux not listed as a choice? I like the option for open world pvp...thats why I havent gave it a go...

(PC Specs)
    AMD Phenom II 965 3.4 Quad
    8GB G-skill Ripjaw 1600mhz
    Nvidia Geforce GTX 470 1280mb
    Windows 7 64 bit

• mysticmousemysticmouse Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Combat is dull, boring, repetitive and lifeless. I did love the setting and the story.
  • gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413
    Still liking TSW very much, and after 3 weeks in GW2 i still think TSW is the better and deeper game, compared to every Theme-Park MMORPG out there.

Hodor!

• UsualSuspectUsualSuspect Member UncommonPosts: 1,243

I'm having a weird time with TSW at the moment. While I think the game is excellent, I just can't get myself to play it lately. I'll log in, do 1 or 2 quests, then log out again and not go back for a day or two, where I do the same thing again. I don't know why as I enjoy the game, have fun while playing, I just move on after doing a few things.

I'm thinking its a lack of goals at this point. I'm one 50pt ability away from completing my second 'class', so not really that interested in doing those. The population seems to have dropped right off so I couldn't get a group for the Egypt dungeons and haven't seen a single word spoken in Transylvania, so that's out of the picture. So at the moment it feels like a single player game due to the lack of other players around, so I do a couple of things then play another game for a while. It's not keeping me attached, but I can't put my finger on why.

I really wish there were more players around as the dungeons are the best I've played, teaming up with other people is always the major draw for me.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

For me it was the Box + Sub + CS. It is a principle kinda thing. I know ALL subscription games now have cash shops, but it just seems wrong to me. I long for the days when my box + sub got me everything that was in the game. Oh, well...

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GitmixGitmix Member UncommonPosts: 605
    No open world, lobby end game, bad PvP.
  • nphsmithnphsmith Member Posts: 3

I'm enjoying it.

The atmosphere is great - at times really-why-am-I-playing-this-with-the-lights-off-oh-sh*t-whats-that-noise-behind-me spooky.  

The skill wheel, and the possible combinations, are brilliant. Anyone who is askign for specific builds for isntance runs, frankly, doesn't understand the game.

There is really no need to have trifecta - that's just EZ mode for those who can't be bothered to think (Sure, you can do DPS/Heal/Tank for isntance runs. But you really don't have to).  

Resetting your skills would be almost completely pointless - I suppose if you really really tried you could buy a set of skills that made the game near-impossible to progress, but you can go back to the start, use your gimped skills for a few hours, and have a whole new set of skills (Read: 2 new inner circles) to play with.

Can't speak to end-game, as I'm having way too much fun enjoying the quests, which are the best, best thought-out I've played in an MMO since...well, ever. They are at Oblivion-level of quality, which is what I've always wanted in an MMO and never found.

Grouping is straightforward and useful, if often short-term. The flaw I have found is that content generally does assume you are solo, so when you group, you can blow through it too fast. Which is a real shame, as you can miss the mission nuances.

I find the dialogue generally good, the voice-acting in some cases awesome. My own silence can be a bit odd, but generally works.

Combat is great, generally very motile - but not, unfortunately, in the first Kingsmouth Zone, where it is pretty much stand-your-ground, hit builder 5 times, hit consumer. I can see how people who only play early zones would find combat samey and dull. It's not later, but if you're bored before later that doesn't help.

Instances are challenging, a good duration, with interesting different strategies needed for almost every boss - one reason why Trifecta isn't need, and in fact unhelpful , is you really need to be prepared to change your skill sets around for many bosses. You *can* cookie-cutter, but IMO you're missing the point if you do. 

The major annoyance for me is that the Gear manager (Which should help maintain you different sets of gear) is pretty much borked. Needs to be fixed bad.

• IamAproposIamApropos Member Posts: 173

I played beta for more then 75+ hours, as well as some free weekend trials post launch for an additional 50+ hours.

TSW has an amazing world, the graphics and art for the world are absolutely incredible.  Questing in the game is exceptional and fun.

Now Why don't I like TSW?

Character graphics and animation / movement animations / combat animations are incredibly HORRIBLE!!!!!

This was such an issue to so many people before launch that the DEV's replied by saying "these are place holders and that it would improve after launch" - Did they change? Yes, technically they did change.  Was it much of an improvement? No, the changes weren't very noticable.   If you took the character from TSW and compare the movement / combat animations and such, it isn't much different from late 1990's early 2000's Grand Theft Auto Character Animations / Combat animations.

It nearly feels like the entire character development was an after thought and they didn't put as much detail or work into it compared to the world of TSW.

Now that being said is a HUGE deal for not just a small amount of people, rather quite a large number of people can't get past this.   Top that all off with a monthly sub + cash shop = AWWWWWW HELL NO!!!!

125+ hours played, all of which felt so disconnected because I couldn't get my eye off of how bad my character looked and moved yet the world was so amazing, extremely disappointed the entire time because of how my immersion was broken because of this.

on top of all of this I had a group of friends which I convinced to play this game with me, hoping it would make the experience better, and now none of them trust my judgement when it comes to me recommending a video game.  Though I recommended another game that recently launched and it redeemed my fault recommending TSW.

IamApropos
    See where adventure will lead you!
    My PC Specs:
    i5-3570k oc'ed @4.2GHz
    8GB 1600 RAM
    GTX670 oc'ed @ 1.25Ghz
    Samsung 830 SSD.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I enjoyed TSW at first, but am currently only subbed because I tried to cancel one day too late, and still haven't played since sometime last month.

I think as I was wrapping up my activities in Egypt I clearly could see what endgame I was heading towards, gear grinding raid progression, which I'm totally not interested in which killed my desire to continue playing.

I can't do this anymore, leveling up characters for no purpose (i.e. no castle sieging, territory control, or strong PVP endgame) seems so pointless, I just can't collect gear to run the next level of PVE content, hence my lack of interest in GW2 as well.

So in the end, TSW had some unique ideas, but by following the standard theme park end game model they lost me as a long term paying customer.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Apropo

Now that being said is a HUGE deal for not just a small amount of people, rather quite a large number of people can't get past this.   Top that all off with a monthly sub + cash shop = AWWWWWW HELL NO!!!!

I never felt TSW's purly cosmetic cash shop with no cash to gold conversion system tugging at my pocket. TSW cash shop is less intrusive than WoW's. Much different than a B2P cash shop.

Sub fee fine, if you don't like subs.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • DreskestDreskest Member Posts: 69

I think TSW is an amazing game and have no problems at all with the subscription+cash shop. I have lifetime membership for TSW and I am currently subbed to other games as well, and honestly, I think the community in TSW is also the best I have ever seen.

Someone started a thread on the official TSW forums a while ago trying to find out the average age of gamers in TSW and it turned out to be 37 with lots of people responding to the thread well over 40.

That, in my opinion, means the game is enjoyed by an older audience, even if it was not meant to be that way, which also means the game may grow steadily over time, but at a somewhat slow rate.

Personally, I have no problem with this, as the current playerbase seems to be stable and very dedicated, albeit small. Funcom claims the game is profitable right now, and as long as they are committed to adding more content to the game, I think the game will do just fine with its P2P business model, and will continue to attract new players all the time.

To end my post, I will say that even though I wish Funcom gets more people to play the game and increase their profits, I certainly really enjoy the game a lot as is right now, with a small population, and I certainly don't miss the b2p and f2p crowds, especially those in the 15-30 age bracket lol.

• ScribbleLay1ScribbleLay1 Member Posts: 177
    I realy loved the game but a few things turned me off after my 1st month of sub.  First off The Secret World was too Secret, go to London, Soul or NY and it just slaps you in the face.  The hack and slash youtr way from point A to point B, I swear you can not take 10 steps without haveing to kill something and then there is the Elites that want you to fill out a job application just to join a Raid and not to mention they want to inspect you, almost as worse as the TSA.  The PVP was non-exixtent or maybe it was just my bad luck but I never found anymore than two or three people doing PVP at the same time oh and no ingame chat, I know that you can use vent or TS but it is a pain to join a group and then no one can voice chat unless someone has a service then everyone has to either download the service and then enter all the info just to chat in a mission.  Don't get me wrong, I liked the game but would rather of had an open world where you could explore and find missions rather than hack and slash and remember a Secret is not a Secreat if you advertise it everywhere.
  • kulhatkulhat Member Posts: 36

The combat is what blew it for me.

It felt like the game wanted to sit on 2 chairs at once, but fell between them instead.

They wanted you to move around a lot in combat, but it felt slow and cumbersome to do so.

• tharkthark Member UncommonPosts: 1,188

I played beta for more then 75+ hours, as well as some free weekend trials post launch for an additional 50+ hours.

TSW has an amazing world, the graphics and art for the world are absolutely incredible.  Questing in the game is exceptional and fun.

Character graphics and animation / movement animations / combat animations are incredibly HORRIBLE!!!!!

This was such an issue to so many people before launch that the DEV's replied by saying "these are place holders and that it would improve after launch" - Did they change? Yes, technically they did change.  Was it much of an improvement? No, the changes weren't very noticable.   If you took the character from TSW and compare the movement / combat animations and such, it isn't much different from late 1990's early 2000's Grand Theft Auto Character Animations / Combat animations.

It nearly feels like the entire character development was an after thought and they didn't put as much detail or work into it compared to the world of TSW.

125+ hours played, all of which felt so disconnected because I couldn't get my eye off of how bad my character looked and moved yet the world was so amazing, extremely disappointed the entire time because of how my immersion was broken because of this.

on top of all of this I had a group of friends which I convinced to play this game with me, hoping it would make the experience better, and now none of them trust my judgement when it comes to me recommending a video game.  Though I recommended another game that recently launched and it redeemed my fault recommending TSW.

You played this gane during beta for 125+ Hours and yet all you do is complain, ???

If a game comes out as "extremly dissapointed" you do NOT spend 125 + Hours in such a game...

There is something extremly wrong with this picure..

The betas of today are the "doom" of mmo's....Play the beta, get tired of the game, No sale !! Off to the next beta..

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

Love the game, play the game, but can't play for extensive periods of time.  The reason being is the combat...it's very dull (when questing) and the mobs take WAYYYY too long to kill....dull combat + long kill times = boredom.  If they would just lower the hp's on single dot mobs, I'd play all day...but it's hard to keep running around killing things you don't have patience to kill and ultimately trying to avoid them altogether (which is close to impossible because of the area designs and mob placement).

Game is great though....definitely the best of the year.

• TalonsinTalonsin Member EpicPosts: 3,619

I like the idea behind the game and think it will improve over time much like AoC did.  I purchased the LTS not because I love the game now but because I think it could become much better.  I played the first three weeks but have not played since.  Same reasons as many have mentioned:

1. Boring combet.  I sit in one place and spam two skills

2. Poor Char Customization.  Most people look the same in the game.  i have run into myself several times in my three weeks of play.

3. Lack of content.  It doesnt take too long to make it thru everything in the game and then there is nothing to do but repeat missions for more skill points.

This is why I like LT subs, I can pay now and have access to the game here and there until I am ready to play it as my primary or I can simply keep going in and out when I feel like it.  When it goes FTP I will get free points each month and can then buy the things I want from the shop for no additional cost.

"Sean (Murray) saying MP will be in the game is not remotely close to evidence that at the point of purchase people thought there was MP in the game."  - SEANMCAD

Originally posted by Randayn

Love the game, play the game, but can't play for extensive periods of time.  The reason being is the combat...it's very dull (when questing) and the mobs take WAYYYY too long to kill....dull combat + long kill times = boredom.  If they would just lower the hp's on single dot mobs, I'd play all day...but it's hard to keep running around killing things you don't have patience to kill and ultimately trying to avoid them altogether (which is close to impossible because of the area designs and mob placement).

I have a great tip for you...Make a dps build and the fights will not last long at all..Basically ...as little HP as possible and only offensive talismans  :)

If you have a build for tanking and/or healing ..well then the fights will take long..

Thats the good part of TSW ..you can alter your characther on the fly

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    Originally posted by thark
    Originally posted by Randayn

I have a great tip for you...Make a dps build and the fights will not last long at all..Basically ...as little HP as possible and only offensive talismans  :)

If you have a build for tanking and/or healing ..well then the fights will take long..

Thats the good part of TSW ..you can alter your characther on the fly

I do need to do this....this is probably my entire issue....Im running around in tank spec killing things really slowly....this is a big "Duh" moment for me especially since Ive experienced this in other games and have fixed it....doh....I feel exposed.   Thanks!

• RawizRawiz Member UncommonPosts: 584

You played this gane during beta for 125+ Hours and yet all you do is complain, ???

If a game comes out as "extremly dissapointed" you do NOT spend 125 + Hours in such a game...

The betas of today are the "doom" of mmo's....Play the beta, get tired of the game, No sale !! Off to the next beta..

Topic is: "Why don't you like TSW". He makes a very good post about it, with several good observations. Instead of discussing these points, you attack him. "All you do is complain?", when the TOPIC is "why don't you like TSW", that's just pathetic.

I guess only the people who like the game are allowed to play it for extended periods of time. They're also the only ones allowed to comment, but only if they like it.

Is this somehow about a persons age too? Like how so few bought the game? It's how Funcom isn't untrusted in the MMO market? It's just that all those who dislike your messiah-game are kids and/or haters?

If you don't want to refute his points, then don't bother attacking him either.

Personally, I hate Funcom, I want them gone more than pretty much anything. They actually can beat EA and Cryptic on the "worst company in the world" - race. It'd be close, but doable.

Originally posted by Rawiz

Topic is: "Why don't you like TSW". He makes a very good post about it, with several good observations. Instead of discussing these points, you attack him. "All you do is complain?", when the TOPIC is "why don't you like TSW", that's just pathetic.

I guess only the people who like the game are allowed to play it for extended periods of time. They're also the only ones allowed to comment, but only if they like it.

Is this somehow about a persons age too? Like how so few bought the game? It's how Funcom isn't untrusted in the MMO market? It's just that all those who dislike your messiah-game are kids and/or haters?

If you don't want to refute his points, then don't bother attacking him either.

Personally, I hate Funcom, I want them gone more than pretty much anything. They actually can beat EA and Cryptic on the "worst company in the world" - race. It'd be close, but doable.

I didnt say anything that would indicate that people can't complain about TSW..I

Just found it odd to be plaýing 125 hours during beta then claim to dislike it..It doesn't make sence at all..If I find a game that I dislike, I will certainly not torture myself with it for 125 hours, I would maybe endure a bad movie for a couple of hours , but thats it.

125 Hours thats almost a full month at work,  8 hours a day !!

Sure , many go to work for a full month and yet they hate it :) But a game isn't suppose to be work..Is it..?

Hes main complain was the animations...and..well the animations must be a Highly subjective reason, I have previously written a post about why players feel the animations and combat are bad, and frankly I got no good answers..

The only thing I can say is that there are games with better animations and worse , I find TSW to be somewhat in the middle of this scale.. 

So..Go ahead and continue to hate Funcom..:) Don't you have better things to do btw ?