Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't play this game because of terrible mouse lag/camera smoothing/acceleration

Comments

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    I had a problem with the rotation speed. I found the mouse control slow and my wrist started to hurt. When I checked in settings (duh), I found the rotation speed was pre-set at the slowest. I put it up around the middled and it works just fine for me now.
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685

The OP is right. This was brought up during BWE, but they still never fixed it. This is one major reason i dislike the movement in this game.

Here's a thread that explains everything.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/suggestions/Camera-Related-Issues-Compilation-and-Lengthy-Anaylsis

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by fiontar
    Originally posted by Nadia Originally posted by evolpc
    Found a link to a good, thorough description of the problem.  Check it out http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/234839-camera-control-issues-a-documented-list/
    And remember, this is something that is completely subjective. It may not bother you while it bothers others. It does not bother me but I recognize it is there.
    good link :)
    For me, it's not an issue of subjective perspective. I absolutely do NOT have this issue.  My camera moves precisely with my mouse.

soo... The issue must NOT exist, then?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• rykim86rykim86 Member Posts: 236

Granted it's been a couple years since I've played WoW, but the way the camera and mouse is...feels exactly the same?  Just upped the camera speed slightly for my personal preference.

If we're talking about the amera doing little shakes during fights and such...pretty sure that can be disabled.

The mouse issue...no clue.  Never had a problem with the mouse.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

The camera movement is atrocious. It shows the developers have no clue. Usually cheap ports from consoles suffer from such poor camera movement.

The way the camera turns, swings, accelerates and smooths + keeps moving for a second after you dont move your mouse is maybe not noticeable for casual players, but I expect 1:1 linear camera movement with the movement of my mouse. 

Alan Wake had similar terrible camera movement or Dead Space 1 and Alpha Protocol, to name a few.

REALITY CHECK

• vort3xvort3x Member Posts: 129

No such problem here. And I'm a heavy FPS player, so If i had such a problem trust me, i would notice it.

Play arround with your graphic settings abit, turn v-sync off. If you can't set the game right it's your fault, not the game's.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It's nothing to do with mouse look speed.

I can change my mouse speed on the fly with a click of a button.

The game his doing that mouse smoothing thing. Basicly it doesn't stop immediately when you let go of the mouse it dies a gradual slow to a stop. There in NO OPTION to turn smoothing off.

It's a weird issue to be having, you normally get it with console ports, as it kinda makes sense to do this with analogue sticks on game controllers.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Anyone else feels that the need to having to hold right click for 90% of your playtime is annoying?

I mean the game's combat is an improved version of the secret world's combat but the camera goes backwards.

I would so love to get the option on having camera rotate when I move my mouse cursor just like an action game I simply hate having to hold right click every damn fight..

• SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by vort3x

No such problem here. And I'm a heavy FPS player, so If i had such a problem trust me, i would notice it.

Play arround with your graphic settings abit, turn v-sync off. If you can't set the game right it's your fault, not the game's.

It's not our fault, it's on the game design end. If you don't notice it, I don't know what to tell you, but I guarantee it's there for us. I've tried the game on 3 seperate systems and each of them had the same "smooth mouse" feel. Not to mention, every single one of my online friends notices it as well. It's the kind of camera movement you get on console games or in games with a "smooth mouse" option. 

In fact, go download EQ2, and try it with "smooth mouse" enabled and without it, and tell me you can't tell a difference. One is "tight" and precise, the other isn't. 

On the plus side, the game works fantastic with a gamepad (using xpadder) - the way the camera moves, you'd think it was designed with a controller in mind. It certainly feels like it.

And for the record, I've messed with every single setting in game, as well as with my mouse-specific settings, and it's the same regardless. But yeah, I'm sure we're all imagining it, or we simply just haven't found the mythical configuration synergy between the game and our hardware, the likes of which we've never needed for any other game to function properly, oddly enough. Yeah, that makes way more sense.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308
    I'm not noticing any issues with the mouse/camera control. Seems fine to me.
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    It's nothing to do with mouse look speed.

I can change my mouse speed on the fly with a click of a button.

The game his doing that mouse smoothing thing. Basicly it doesn't stop immediately when you let go of the mouse it dies a gradual slow to a stop. There in NO OPTION to turn smoothing off.

It's a weird issue to be having, you normally get it with console ports, as it kinda makes sense to do this with analogue sticks on game controllers.

Exactly.

Figured I'd add a link to an interesting thread I found on this topic. Just try googling about it and you'll find many more.

One of the posts in particular pretty much sums up my thoughts on the matter:

"Anyone who is claiming to not suffer from mouse acceleration ingame and starts spewing out info on their DPIs and Razers0rz hasn't got the slightest clue what they are talking about and / or have never played a game without mouse acceleration.

The algorithm ingame adds a ~100ms acceleration period to a mouse move, and another equally long negative acceleration period. This isn't really mouse acceleration, but camera smoothing / inertial scrolling. The only thing that could be worse is that the game had real acceleration issues, meaning that the camera speed is tied to mouse velocity, not distance traveled. In layman's terms, the faster you move your mouse across the same distance, the larger the distance will be ingame.

But back to the topic at hand. I'm having a hard time targeting mobs that aren't directly in front of me, doing jumping puzzles, pvp-ing and generally having fun when the game makes my camera unresponsive for a quarter of a second each time I move it.
    I don't want my camera to continue moving after I have stopped moving my mouse. I also want my camera to start moving when I start moving my mouse. This isn't flick scrolling on an iPhone (even the iphone doesn't have starting inertia), but an action video game.

Remember jumping puzzles on older 3rd person console platformers? Where you had to stand in a spot and then meticulously correct the camera with the right analog stick so that you don't jump in the wrong direction when you press forward? Well I shouldn't have to do that in a 2012 PC exclusive on a mouse and keyboard."

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by bloodaxes

Anyone else feels that the need to having to hold right click for 90% of your playtime is annoying?

I mean the game's combat is an improved version of the secret world's combat but the camera goes backwards.

I would so love to get the option on having camera rotate when I move my mouse cursor just like an action game I simply hate having to hold right click every damn fight..

I'm not sure this is true. Cool downs are longer in GW2 and have no resources so your left with heavy auto attack/when off cooldown type of feel. Imagine if there was no auto attack. You would press 1 more in GW2 than in TSW. 

Now where you do combat ie maps and WvW is much better than TSW. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by bcbully

Imagine if there was no auto attack. You would press 1 more in GW2 than in TSW. 

Learn to dodge and switch weapons in combat. If you're an engineer and you're spamming 1, you're doing it wrong.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Dont see what the problem the OP has, in fact I love the way the camera works its quick and precise and promotes quick reaction unlike the slow almost archaic slowness of WoW.  GW2 mouse control is very reminescent of  a FPS.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I agree with blood, you should be able to toggle rmb, so that holding rmb let's you click menus and stuff and not holding it gives you a free moving camera. This applies to tsw and gw2. (although tsw doesn't have this peculiar "console" mouse problem, its controls are tight)
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Loktofeit
    Originally posted by bcbully

Imagine if there was no auto attack. You would press 1 more in GW2 than in TSW. 

Learn to dodge and switch weapons in combat. If you're an engineer and you're spamming 1, you're doing it wrong.

OT sorry, but dodging and switching weapons is not an issue lol. I don't play engineer either... I'm not trying to take it to extremes, but they put the auto attack in for a reason ;) 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Dont see what the problem the OP has, in fact I love the way the camera works its quick and precise and promotes quick reaction unlike the slow almost archaic slowness of WoW.  GW2 mouse control is very reminescent of  a FPS.

It is several factors.

One is unresponsiveness and that is cause by low performance, lag or vsync.

Second is that the game simulates inertia, this mean your character will speed up and slow down before hitting cruise speed or be at rest so the camera will move either after you started the movement or continue to move after you stopped moving.

This won't be a problem too many since this is how it works in the world.

Now it wont cause character control problems since the character movement isn't dependant on the camera movement and one can actually change direction and reduce jump distance mid-air.

This also enhances the vertigo sensation caused by some of the jumping puzzles of the game, which is awesome unless you get motion sick easily.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• TafaleTafale Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by alacres
    Originally posted by Entropy14
    Not really sure its all the games fault, I personally dont have this problem at all, and never heard any complaints from any of my friends.

Hmm, I wonder if maybe it's a bug or driver compatibility issue, seeing as how it only seems to affect some of us.

I think it's more like when e.g. a bad PC port with a narrow FoV (I'm not just talking about the people getting dizy or headache because of it) but that it also looks wrong for some people (and it does since narrow FoV is for sitting in the livingroom and playing on a TV, something which is obviously completely wrong when playing on a monitor).

GW2 also have a narrow FoV, along with bad camera and movement so it's like a bad port from consoles.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/234839-camera-control-issues-a-documented-list/

The response is hilarious since it shows being oblivious about how to make a proper PC game since FoV, camera and movement are all intentionally made.

• SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Member Posts: 2,697
    Originally posted by rikilii
    Originally posted by afropuff420
    Can't say I really understand the issue you're experiencing.. Is it something that can't be controlled by a setting? Are you using the most updated video drivers?

The best way to describe it is that it's like steering a boat.  There's a small delay from when I move my mouse until the camera stops moving, the speed of the camera accelerates in a way that is totally unrelated to the speed at which I'm moving my mouse, and when I stop moving the mouse, there's a short delay before the camera stops turning.

Oblivion had the same issue.  WoW, TOR, etc. don't.  This has to have been deliberately designed into the game, which makes it really sad that they didn't give an option to disable it.

That sounds like graphics lag, try turning your settings down.

My camera stops when I want it to when I'm running 50+ fps. The only time I experienced what you're seeing is the first time I ran the game and my laptop didn't switch over to the real graphics card so it was running at 20 fps and below.

Originally posted by Tafale
    Originally posted by alacres
    Originally posted by Entropy14
    Not really sure its all the games fault, I personally dont have this problem at all, and never heard any complaints from any of my friends.

Hmm, I wonder if maybe it's a bug or driver compatibility issue, seeing as how it only seems to affect some of us.

I think it's more like when e.g. a bad PC port with a narrow FoV (I'm not just talking about the people getting dizy or headache because of it) but that it also looks wrong for some people (and it does since narrow FoV is for sitting in the livingroom and playing on a TV, something which is obviously completely wrong when playing on a monitor).

GW2 also have a narrow FoV, along with bad camera and movement so it's like a bad port from consoles.

http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/234839-camera-control-issues-a-documented-list/

The response is hilarious since it shows being oblivious about how to make a proper PC game since FoV, camera and movement are all intentionally made.

Yeah, you're right. I was just speculating when I made that post, but after playing around with all of the settings, trying the game on 3 seperate computers, and using both corded and wireless mice, the outcome is always the same. It's clear to me now that it's a design issue, and the official post in that link should be the only proof anyone needs. 

• KniknaxKniknax Member UncommonPosts: 576
    Originally posted by rikilii

I get totally nauseated after 10 minutes of playing it with this horrible mouse control

I thought Oblivion was the only game with this issue, but apparently it's a trend.

Yet another $60 down the drain.

How hard is it to make games with normal mouse control???

Press Escape, Click Options, first tab - Camera Rotation Speed and Camera Position. Whack these up to about half way, and you should see the problem vanish.

"When people don't know much about something, they tend to fill in the blanks the way they want them to be filled in. They are almost always disappointed." - Will Wright

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

You're kidding right? GW2 is a lot of things that WoW isn't, but WoW beats it hands down on controls, camera, and responsivness.

• OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I've also been finding the camera a little frustrating. Panning around with a Norn character is one large pain in the ass. I already feel so lumbered with his size and dealing with a frustrating camera pan make for some very akward moments. Where I find myself taking my hands off the mouse completely just so it will re-center and I can continue to fight.

It's not as much as a problem with PvE but in PvP is becomes a hassle sometimes. I don't know what's up with the camera it just feels odd even in comparison to something like The Secret World who's combat can be a little floaty sometimes. Don't know if they'll make another change to it but I hope so..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• LorkiiLorkii Member Posts: 88

Thers definately isn t a fix for what some people are experiencing. It s a very odd design and not tight movement at all. It does feel like you re on a boat, making wide ass turns. If you hold your right mouse button down it makes it better, but thats just the stupidest thing i ve ever seen, having to hold it down to turn tighter.

Theres alot of people it effects, I m one of them as I gt a headache in 15 mins to 1/2 hour with this crap design.