Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Would you play on a vanilla server ?

I havent played WOW in over 2 years, i'm not even going to buy the panda expansion.   However if Blizzard would release vanilla server or 2 i think it will be a huge sucess.   I remember how fun the game was back in Vanilla.   So i'm asking the question, would you play on a vanilla server where the top level is 60 ?

Comments

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    No. Not enough content.
  • DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974

A straight up no, being stuck in a game that has no progression of future content whatsoever, that sounds like hell imo.

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Yes.

I wouldn't be super excited playing vanilla, but since there's nothing better to play i'd probably play it for a while.

And at the posters above: there may be less content in vanilla than there is in Cata + MoP, but it most definitely lasts longer than those two combined.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    I would play for sure. The challenge of Vanilla WoW to level 60 on a pvp server was one of the best times I have had. Blizzard could make a few bucks with several servers f2p and a Cash Shop. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• StormwindXStormwindX Member Posts: 168
    Vanilla server? Not so sure. On a BC server, though... hell yeah.
  • PixilatedPixilated Member UncommonPosts: 30

This would be the only way I would come back to wow, but ... sub. should only be $5/month,

NO server transfer's, right up to pre-BC with some good World boss's available too.!!

Can only group within the server itself as well so- limited lfg !!     I'd play again!

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

id love a new server w dungeon finder disabled for the first 2 months

or at bare minimum -- not cross server

• ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

It would be a lovely nostalgic walkthrough, but what strength of Vanilla are we talking about as i would imagine that there are varying opinions on that as well? Are we talking about Pre-honor system and BG's or something a little more watered down with BG's, some additional instances etc or go the whole hog and set it at just pre-BC?

My point is that there is no way that Blizzard could win with this either because even if they do introduce these they still won't be able to please everyone.

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

• Kaynos1972Kaynos1972 Member Posts: 2,316
    I'm talking mostly vanilla state, just before BC.
  • quasar941quasar941 Member Posts: 159

No.

I played this game for a bit over five years. Loved it then, but burnt out on it now to the point where I simply can't imagine what it would take to make me want to play it again. The last couple of times that I resubbed, I ended up playing less than an hour out of the entire paid month.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

Seeing as how i found vanilla to be a boring and way to time consuming setting and that it drow me away, i'd say No.

This have been a good conversation

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    I loved vanilla but didn't appreciate it enough until woltk.  Generally, I would say no.  We  have to move forward in life and not get stuck in the past even if it might be a blast.
    http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I miss having spirit on my warrior's gear...
  • ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    Originally posted by Kaynos1972
    I havent played WOW in over 2 years, i'm not even going to buy the panda expansion.   However if Blizzard would release vanilla server or 2 i think it will be a huge sucess.   I remember how fun the game was back in Vanilla.   So i'm asking the question, would you play on a vanilla server where the top level is 60 ?

Yes, drop of a hat, to be a Warlock with utillity spells again and not just a mage wanabe that has and needs pets!

you know it

Some things were better in Vanilla! image

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    No.  But I probably would play on some sort of progression server, or better yet set of servers.  Beat one instance and farmed the gear from it and you then move on to the next one on the next server.  Start with MC and Onyxia and go from there.  The rpoblem is that there wouldn't be any demand.  Basically, don't make gear from later patches or expacs available.
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

I'd prefer the following:  http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365060/An-Opinion-Alternate-WoW.html

Vanilla WoW... needed more content.  BC needed more content.  LK needed more content.  Cata needed more content.  Additional features are nifty as well...

...however, Vanilla didn't need to lose all that it did going into BC.  BC didn't need to lose all that it did going into LK.  LK didn't need to lose all that it did into Cata.  Cata didn't need to lose all that it did going into MoP.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• soulmirrorsoulmirror Member UncommonPosts: 124

I won't talk about another companies success, so much so that they opened a 2nd vanilla server...

I will say    yes   to playing on a vanilla WoW server, no transfers and time locked, where once a certain percentage of the server reached max level, the server votes on opening the next expansion.  As a vanilla server though, it would have to be done right, with none of the shortcuts of the current game with all the rules in place of the original.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063
    I think that'd be cool, however, it'd get old after a while. Players looked foward to expansions even in the vanilla days I'd bet, so I'd suggest a progression server the way EQ has. Start with vanilla WoW, then after a year or more, release TBC for that server, and etc until we're up to date. I'd like that personally, because I never got into WoW until the later expansions.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Try a vanilla private server (even if they are against the rules) I did, and it was nothing like I remembered. It wasn't very fun to level up in the older content, it took a long time. When it came out it was awesome, but now it's just boring.
  • HokieHokie Member UncommonPosts: 1,063

If they'd restart fresh at BC, dropped Lich King, Cata, and March of the Pandas and not make it just about gear grinding raids/instances arena and rep, and treat the whole game equally, with more horizontal advancement instead of 100% vertical, Id resubscribe in a second.

I have zero desire to play MoP, or to even try it out for free. And if I know Blizz expect the Monk class to be so over powered and unbalanced for at least the first 6 months, just like the DK was for Lich.

I played Cata for about 7-8 months and I have to admit the last two of that was just going thru the motions. I had more fun doing the mini-professions/crafting than I did running dungeons/instances.

"I understand that if I hear any more words come pouring out of your **** mouth, Ill have to eat every fucking chicken in this room."

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

I have played on a vanilla server, forgot which one exactly, but it did have accelerated leveling.

My opinion:

Well...

I like the fact that there are weather cycles in various areas, which you would think should be in the current WoW, but for some reason seems to have vanished.

I like the fact that Orgrimmar actually looks like it's in nighttime and not bathed in artificial lighting.

I liked that gear could remain relevant longer, particularly rares.

Otherwise, I don't really find it any more interesting than the current game, primarily because I didn't like how my Paladin was restricted to Healing for dungeons and raids. That was a real downer for me.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    No.  I already played this MMO and while I enjoyed it at the time, there are much better alternatives.
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

How about a vanilla server with some territory control, item decay, AND player looting? I would play that forever.

Let's make Tarren Mill vs. Southshore mean something again.

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

Yes,

Note:

You can't get an accurate vote here on mmorpg.com because at least one million or more pissed off players don't even look back anymore, and so many of them don't even look at the WoW forums here.

Understand that if Blizzard ever did release a vanilla WoW server, you know they would fix the bugs and add anything that would be of interest to the players.........The shallowness of people thinking they would release a broken game is just ridiculous.

MY guess :

We will see Vanilla WoW servers when the cash cow of all the expansion's lose steam.  So were looking at at least a year, but it will come !!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I'd have to say no.  The WOW I want to play would have evolved vanilla WOW into one with more emphasis on open world PVP, with strong rewards for it and probably have no BG's to speak of.  In fact, I'd favor a FFA ruleset server on top of the original ruleset and there's no way that's ever going to happen.

I was ready for WOW to change when BC came out, just not in the direction it took so I can see no reason to return to the original game, re-running MC for umpteenth time really isn't my dream.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon