Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Titan Thread

Comments

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

I think wildly speculative threads about the contents of a black box just create false hopes, wrong-headed expectations and will simply lead to a whining down the road that whatever the project turns out to be, it just doesn't fit the dream that fans built up in their own personal echo chambers.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Originally posted by Nadia

for me, StarCraft2 was a dissapointment after the legacy of Starcraft back in late 90s

im basing my opinion on solo play of SC2 compared to SC1

solo play of SC2 was shorter missions than SC1 but with more movies

- the overall SC2 story was shorter too

SC1 had a rich story among 3 factions that was engrossing for plots and turns and lore

for multiplayer,

SC2 is probably comparable to SC1 (minus player maps) but i was disappointed with single player SC2

Could not have been more different for me, there was so much more going on in SC2 single player than SC1, each missions had some kind of unique element like that one on the larva planet where you had to move your SC's off low ground when the larva came, the mission you had to complete while moving to the right ahead of a heat wave, or the missions where your units would ice over every few minutes, or the mission where you had to hold out from zombies at night.  So much more variation. Add in the amourym research, the A or B mission choices the zeratule missions.

I honesty do understand why people think SC2 didn't do anything new... the only expanation I can think of is they never played it.  Here's the angry joe review http://angryjoeshow.com/2010/07/starcraft-ii-review/ even he loved it.

Now we're off topic.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    IMHO, Starcraft 2 was more made by the players than blizzard. Look at the history, I only play sc2 for aos and phantom mode. Neither of which are made by blizzard, except for the most basic (units). It's been several years, no new units... And the next expansion is just going to be more of the same except for like 3 new units in each race. Come on, I am not paying 60 bucks for 3 units, I don't know how people are excited an ultralisk can burrow... Can't they just make all this a game update? Do they truly need an entirely new box for 60$? No. Sc2 is just a scam, a big e sport scam. 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by expresso

I honesty do understand why people think SC2 didn't do anything new... the only expanation I can think of is they never played it.  Here's the angry joe review http://angryjoeshow.com/2010/07/starcraft-ii-review/ even he loved it.

Now we're off topic.

game immersion is a very personal thing

for me -  Starcraft2 and Diablo3 lacked the game immersion their predecessors had

I used to buy Blizzard games blind - i didnt care what the game was because i always enjoyed Blizzard games

starting with Starcraft 2 and continuing with WOW Cata and Diablo 3 (all of which i have played)

i no longer have enthusiasm for Blizzard games

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

I was thinking at work last week about Titan and what it may be.

I don't ever believe there will be a wow killer but at some point there will be a game that has more players than wow and I believe Titan will be that game.

This is what I think Titan will be.

-Blizzard said it would be a social game. I'm thinking Titan will be directly tied into Facebook.

-I think Titan will be a online city builder. Player housing,shops real people will run,events,neighborhoods,farming,tailoring,architecture. Deep deep deep customization.

I think titan will be a mix between second life,farmville and yoville.

I think titan will either have one huge server supporting millions of people at once or a few servers supporting millions.

I think titan will have a standard camera view behind the player like wow.

I think titan will have custom skins using our webcams for our toons faces and our webcams to video chat while playing titan.

I think titan will use webcams and microphones to give our toon voice in game and animate our toons mouths.

I think titan will have a military option for pvpers along with open world pvp for players that join the military.

-Bases will be set up around the world to capture cities and towns.

I think Titan will have one faction.

Titan will be very deep in customization and I believe Blizzard will set a new standard in server population capacity.

It's going to be a FPS MMO set in the Call of Duty universe.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Now we're off topic.

game immersion is a very personal thing

for me -  Starcraft2 and Diablo3 lacked the game immersion their predecessors had

I used to buy Blizzard games blind - i didnt care what the game was because i always enjoyed Blizzard games

starting with Starcraft 2 and continuing with WOW Cata and Diablo 3 (all of which i have played)

i no longer have enthusiasm for Blizzard games

I cant help but feel your expectations were are too high if not unattainable, both D3 and SC2 continued on from their predecessor adding in new features, modern game design and were fantastic games in their own right.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    D3 had a let's make as much money as possible from the rmah design, and sod the game play.

Greed killed diablo as a franchise.

How you can say it improves upon d2 is beyond me.
  • TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Whatever it is... it won't be anything new. Blizzard never tries new things, they just water down old ideas and sell them to casuals. WoW was boring and old mechanics wise when it launched, but since it was marketed at non MMO gamers it didn't matter.
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey
    Whatever it is... it won't be anything new. Blizzard never tries new things, they just water down old ideas and sell them to casuals. WoW was boring and old mechanics wise when it launched, but since it was marketed at non MMO gamers it didn't matter.

sigh

Originally posted by TobiasGrey

sigh

Not going to try to refute it, because you know its true?

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Not going to refute it because commenting back to wow haters is pointless. Don't you have some other crap game to con people into thinking is good?
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Blizzard hasn't made a good game or expansion in years. Most of their original talent is gone so I dont know why you expect Titan to be good.....and if it is like at all what you described...I wont be playing it.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

Thanks for playing. Forum exit is to the left.
    Originally posted by Ausare
    Not going to refute it because commenting back to wow haters is pointless. Don't you have some other crap game to con people into thinking is good?

"WoW haters" ? You have to create an entire class of people and deem them "unworthy" to talk to, just to avoid anything critiquing a flawed game?

Besides, this isn't about whether or not WoW is good, it's about whether or not WoW did anything new. Which.. it didn't. that's kind of what its known for.

Originally posted by Ausare
    [mod edit]

This is not how people normally have a debate.

You are not here to debate. You are here to antagonize. It is just accepatable by the mod staff here.
  • UhwopUhwop Member UncommonPosts: 1,791
    Game the OP described sounds horrible, to be honest.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

Facebook game?  LOL No way.

I expect it to be a major stinker.  It may even go the way of Starcraft: Ghost.

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174

Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I don't know why people expect this to be good, following the appalling diablo 3 and indifferent cataclysm & starcraft 2.

Blizzard are like bioware, used to make good games but are now riding on their reputation. Just that bioware started the decline earlier.

I expect Titan to be swtor bad.

Originally posted by Loke666

Titan is suppose to be very different from Wow, I frankly dont think it will do nearly as well as Wow did.

On the other hand do I expect Blizzard to release Wow 2 2016 or so and that will do very well indeed.Because if Titan dont deliver to Activisions expectations Wow 2 is the only sure way for them to earn insane amounts of money, and frankly would I be surprised if they havnt put a small team on it already.

Revealing Wow 2 before Titan is out on the other hand would be a bad idea, some of the Blizzard fans could decide to wait for it instead, and it might hurt Wows expansion sales numbers so they will do it behind locked doors for now.

Of course, that is only me guessing, but every game Blizz made since 1996 have either been a sequel or had one later besides Wow and Wow is their greatest success. Anyone thinking they will do sequels for all game except the one that made them really rich needs to think some more.

I agree, Cata & D3 have hurt their respective franchises at various degree's and stung Blizzards overall rep, I honestly think that it will be up to Titan to restore Blizzards bulletproof rep, but its going to have a harder time doing so since I think Blizzard used up a lot of its "free ride" or "leap of faith" selling power up on D3 and its a real shame because Blizzard gave us excellent games in the form of 3WC RTS + DotA, SC & WoW + TBC  =/

I never understood why gamers would like to see a WoW 2, IMO maybe Blizzard should do a switcheroo by making a "Warcraft 4" & "Universe of Starcraft" I think that would up their fortunes since a lot of Blizzard supporters keep asking for a SC MMO. =)

blizzard didnt make DOTA

they also didnt support the people who made it

which is why they now work for valve not blizzard

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174

blizzard didnt make DOTA

they also didnt support the people who made it

which is why they now work for valve not blizzard

I know it is a Mod made from WC3, I just didn't bother/lazy to elaborate thats all =)

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        Actually I think WoW is the only game BLizzard made that was really outstanding....The Diablo series is Ok but nothing great and was never a fan of the starcraft stuff.....As a result, Im not expecting much from whatever Titan is.
  • ThanesThanes Member Posts: 182
    You would think it will be amazing.  The company that begat Wow with unlimited resources all diverted to this grand secret project with the epic name of 'Titan'.  What else can you say?   Anything else would be speculating on life after death before establishing if there is life after death.
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Originally posted by Thebigthrill

-Blizzard said it would be a social game. I'm thinking Titan will be directly tied into Facebook.

Um.

Which is the only part of your posting thats not pure speculation, isnt it ?

Anyway this alone is more than enough for me to not care about this project at all, since I view social networks as riddiculous constructs that allow a single company to collect tons of data of people. I'm certainly not going to join in.

I don't know why people expect this to be good, following the appalling diablo 3 and indifferent cataclysm & starcraft 2.

Blizzard are like bioware, used to make good games but are now riding on their reputation. Just that bioware started the decline earlier.

Biowares last good game was Dragon Age: Origins. Not that long ago ?

Maybe the Mass Effect stuff IS good too, I wouldnt know. Its a console game with strict copyright protection stuff on it, and its not really a roleplaying game, so its not interesting to me.

Either way Bioware started its decline when EA bought the company.

DA:O was planned to be PC only, with multiplayer. EA made it PC and Console, no multiplayer. DA2 was nothing but a moneymaker, as a game it was a joke. SWTOR became one huge WoW clone, with completely riddiculous details such as Republic and Empire having basically the same set of force powers and non-force combat abilities, just with different names and different visual effects.

I think the core problem is simply that the people leading these companies do not want to make great games. They want to archieve great profits. And Blizzard has the exact same problem.

people can only speculate about both Titan and EQNext

We know a ton more about EQ Next than about Titan ... we know it will be a MMO like EQ and EQ2, while Titan ? We have no idea what that game is about at all.

Originally posted by madazz

[...] You'd think the people here would learn that NO game lives up to its promises.

Um, what ? The really great games, like for example

- Baldurs Gate 2

- Neverwinter Nights 2

- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic

- Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines

- Vanguard: Saga of Heroes

all lived up to their promises, if not exceeded them.

But that was before the age of profit. All these games have been created by gamers for gamers. Bioware has been overtaken by EA, Troika Games went out of business, only Obsidian and Bethesda still remain. Somewhat. Last TES was a sure buy for me until Bethesda decided to force Steamworks on their customers.

If it bombs like swtor, no need for people to make up nicknames like "tortanic". Blizzard do seem to be tempting fate with the code name of Titan.