Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning After 1 Year - Abuse ALREADY!

Comments

• GolelornGolelorn Member RarePosts: 1,395
    Originally posted by Wicoa

Your not gonna like this:

The way people are has changed forever this is not wows fault you will see more smack talk than this in fps titles from public matches.  The key for people like you who do not have thick skins is to simply join a guild in any game you play and run dungeons with them exclusively.

The game isn't the environment you play in anymore its your guild.  This is the most important factor to remember when playing mmorpgs it applys to all of them and this is not a complete list EVE, WOW, GW2, it will apply to Planetside 2.

Infact Id like to carve EvE out as your corp/guild is in fact your entire gaming experience without it the game is humdrum.

You are incorrect. Plenty of games where this tool would have been berated by other group members, and told to shove off(Rift and DDO come to mind). WoW's community encourages this type of gameplay, because, well, you're all like that.

But you're right in the fact that there are plenty of other games with scumbags, too. EQ pre-WOW had tons of tools that lacked any sort of social capability. You may be right about EVE. I have no clue. And, yes, general chat in most games is not recommend.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Golelorn
    Originally posted by Wicoa

Your not gonna like this:

The way people are has changed forever this is not wows fault you will see more smack talk than this in fps titles from public matches.  The key for people like you who do not have thick skins is to simply join a guild in any game you play and run dungeons with them exclusively.

The game isn't the environment you play in anymore its your guild.  This is the most important factor to remember when playing mmorpgs it applys to all of them and this is not a complete list EVE, WOW, GW2, it will apply to Planetside 2.

Infact Id like to carve EvE out as your corp/guild is in fact your entire gaming experience without it the game is humdrum.

You are incorrect. Plenty of games where this tool would have been berated by other group members, and told to shove off(Rift and DDO come to mind). WoW's community encourages this type of gameplay, because, well, you're all like that.

But you're right in the fact that there are plenty of other games with scumbags, too. EQ pre-WOW had tons of tools that lacked any sort of social capability. You may be right about EVE. I have no clue. And, yes, general chat in most games is not recommend.

It's because of the pack mentality. Small minds think they can get people to laugh at the expense of others.

• keenberkeenber Member UncommonPosts: 438
    what happened to the old EQ way blame everything on the ranger and if no ranger blame the halfling
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

The real reason for this type of behaviour is the cross server LFD mechanic. People are free to be complete asshats with no comeback. A lot of posts here talk about EQ days but it wasn't the time or the game, it was the fact that if you got a bad rep on your server you were FUBAR.  I know there's no love today for forced grouping but it made people behave a lot better than they do today.

With current solo/casual friendly games and the introduction of cross server LFD tools is anyone surprised we see this kind of thing so often?

I've posted many times against this sort of LFD tool because it harms community and so many people think that's plain BS but here's the perfect example of what I mean.

• Reion1Reion1 Member UncommonPosts: 178

You can tell the OP that there are people like this in every game and on every block and in every city but the truth is that WOW has by far the worst community in any MMORPG. You might dispute that by saying that other mmorpgs have their share of rude players but that's only because those players learned such behavior playing wow. I recently resubbed for the upcoming xpac and it took less than two hours to remind me what I was missing out on; rude and obnoxious nerds in every nook and crany but mostly resigned to dungeons and the trade channel. With every little margin of error in a 5 man someone automically loses their shit. Asking for advice in trade chat will automically get your trolled. Basically, I agree with the OP the community is eveyrthing that is wrong with the internet in one little neat package.

"Everything the light touches is our kingdom" -- Mufasa
    ---

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    At least you had some social interaction, in times of solo-mmos like gw2 and TSW this is really rare.
  • AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Wow. You mean back in 2000 people time travelled to the future to come back and be asses? When you are done insulting the people that play a game you do not like you should stop postong in that forum.
  • suckm3suckm3 Member UncommonPosts: 187
    Originally posted by Mari2k
    At least you had some social interaction, in times of solo-mmos like gw2 and TSW this is really rare.

Idd

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein 

"The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn. After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that neither does the ability to write.
    So if you notice that I'm no longer answering your nonsense, stop trying... because you just joined my block list.

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

This is the main problem I had with WoW and the dungeon finder in general. People dont' care about other people, and they might as well just be playing with NPC's for all they matter. They expect everyone to be perfect all of the time and know every little detail about every aspect of the game.

Hell, people in WoW won't even take you on raids or anything if you don't look up a video of the entire thing beforehand and read all the strategies and know every move every boss does before you even walk into the place for the first time.

This frame of mind might not be limited to WoW, but it's definitely gone the most overboard with it.

Most people want you to pay attention. Which the op admits his friend was not. As to the raids...if you are going to try and be in the top raid guilds then yes. Otherwise you are over gyeneralizing as people generally do.
  • KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

So yet another bad player rejoins WOW, proceeds to wipe the group a couple times - someone calls them out on it and uses "big mean words" to do so?

Oh the travesty.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

This thread doesn't generate a lot of sympathy.  Probably because we've been reading it for fifteen years.

Yes, way before WoW too.

Player A: PuGs suck.

Player B: Don't PuG.

Players C thru Z: You suck.

Yep, a few thousand minor variations, same damn thread.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• twruletwrule Member Posts: 1,251

In my experience, this is indeed a problem that, while not limited to WoW, does tend to be at its worst there and in games closely resembling it (in the manner in which they are played). With so many people playing WoW, you'd think it'd be easy to avoid the jerks and find nice people, but unless you get lucky with a good quality guild (and I mean quality of people), then there is no escaping this kind of vitriol. It's everywhere; WoW more than any other game seems to have assimilated much of the worst of internet "Lulz" culture and at the same time made it unpopular to show tolerance and (god forbid) friendliness to other players, especially non-guildmates. There are decent people out there, of course, but man should you count yourself lucky if you find them - and you also have to resist the game and communities attempts to pressure you to slump into rotten behavior.

I never had any such problems in games like FFXI, SWG (pre-CU), early EQ2, GW1, GW2 (Basically any mmo that existed prior to the rise of WoW, or any game that lacked the same basic structure of gameplay as WoW).

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

People just shouldn't be able to use such language in games. It must be punishable by temporary as well as permament bans.

It's got nothing to do with having a thin or thick skin. I am really not fazed by such language directed at myself or another. That doesn't mean I don't want the person using it to be answerable. If one more person acting rudely pays the price for his/her behavior, I'm happier. It breeds better attitude. Civility 101. And no, this doesn't work in WOW.

One thing you can do is just vote for a kick when someone starts flaming / obscenities. Last I played WOW, though I saw the above behavior often, I also saw - to my surprise - that you can actually get results this way. Not everybody is an ill-mannered adolescent, and you did see people gladly voting for peace of mind (Though I admit it's been about a couple of years since).

• JayBirdzJayBirdz Member Posts: 1,017
    Most of the worst offenders from experience aren't kids. They are man-children. Case and point.
    Originally posted by lickm3
    Oh noes, pussy get insulted so sad.. Welcome to the internet kiddo. If you have no clue how to play then fuck off. And the tank did complety right !

Op, you should of got creative and griefed that person until he quit the party. Besides reporting him, griefing people like him as a healer is one of the best ways to deal with them.  Not to mention comical.  Don't even have to say much really.  Just ignore the slur fest and say, "Rdy!"

For example.

"Rdy!"

*No heals*    *Tank dies*

"Ah shit! Cat jumped on my desk. Let's try that again shall we?"

"Rdy!"

*No heals*   *Tank Dies*

"Dam it.. So sorry. Keys are still sticking from where she spilt my drink."

"Rdy!"

*No heals*    *Tank dies.*

Rinse and repeat over and over with just the stupidest (but believable) excuses that you can think of.  If they annoyed the other members in the party it will be a fun time for all. 

To bad characters can't de-level in WoW.  Many a man-child has lost hours of playtime at my hands for stuff like you showed.  Rappelz (don't play it anymore) comes to mind.  A guy entered a dungeon at level 125.  He afked after a slur fest targeted at everyone in the party.  When he came back he was in his high 90's.  Not to mention it was fun for the whole party.  Well... Except him. That's satisfaction!  image

I think in one instance me and a few others took some player from 130's down to his 60's.   They afked for a long time and the party spent hours doing it.  What are these types of players going to do?  Report me?  Having unleashed a huge slur fest on party members only a short time earlier.  I think not.

Edit just to add.  His post seems to have been moderated while I was typing this.

Been in lots a groups that vote out asses.
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381

Dear OP, if you're going to be that sensitive and tattle tale on people like that you might as well uninstall your operating system while you're at it. Its the internet, billions use it to troll and talk shit everywhere, not just wow. Grow a backbone and shrug it off and vote kick people you dont like....they put that feature in for people like yourself.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by Kaelano1
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Kaelano1

Most of the trash talkers are college-age and older.

The younger teens are less apt to act-out because they primarily want acceptance. I know this from experience in online games 2 decades, meeting and listening to people in various voice chats.

The biggest trash-talking babies are middle aged guys, surprisingly enough. They think they know everything and don't know when to shut up.

from my own experiences i agree :)

I agree too that is why i gave example of Eve Online. It is full of middle aged trash talkers.

EVE Online has one of the worst communities I've ever experienced.

Want proof? Just mention during casual banter in corp / system chat that you're a believer in one of the Abrahamic religions (other than Islam) and watch the flames fly.

Fuck that game, that company, and the majority of that community.

Here. Maybe you'll enjoy this.

http://www.visionsgame.com/

If you provided that link for honest, good reasons, I thank you. If not, then thank you for proving my point :)

BTW I'm not making a complaint because I sat there in corp / general chat preaching like an a-hole. I just made an offhand reference while chat was on the subject of biogenesis and got probably a dozen death threats or so within a day. CCP did exactly jack shit about them.

Sorry, but when folks threaten to KILL you because you expressed your religious beliefs, there's something wrong with that community.

I kind of have to disagree here a bit, Redneck.

IMO politics and religion have no  place being discussed in a game.   Sure it is going to happen but you are just asking for trouble.  Just look at the world around you.  Heck, most wars are fought over religious beliefs.  What makes you surprised that someone would threaten you over yours?  Especially on the internet.

Leave that stuff out of the conversation or politely excuse yourself if it comes up.  You will be much better off.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

Most wars are fought over resources not religion.
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by Ausare
    Most wars are fought over resources not religion.

Maybe take a look at history Ausare.

But resources are an issue too. I would include that under politics.

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

I have looked a lot at history and 1 crusade was religious. After that please give me more cause i can give you 1000 years of wars in europe between catholics killing for land. 1500 years in asia over land. 3000 for control of middle east mediterranian coast wars. 2000 years of greeks killing for control of farm land. Rone expanding for profit....etc.
  • reb007reb007 Member UncommonPosts: 613

I ran into a similar situation when I returned to WoW a few months ago. And I also felt inclined to quit after it happened. The shitty part is you'll find these people in every online game. There's just more of them in WoW, because it has so many players. There's nothing that anyone can do about it, and that sucks.

If you like the game enough, then shrug it off and keep playing. That person ruined that PUG, don't let them ruin the rest of the game as well.

"Don't let a bad PUG, get you down." - Bill Murphy

=)

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I find it odd someone waited for almost FIVE YEARS to make their first post, and the post is a QQ post about a pug. It's almost like he has been waiting, scheming, planning...until 10 days before MoP...and then he strikes!!! Hahaha

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

WoW is not the only mmo that has this problem, but I do think that WoW has in many ways fostered and contribute greatly to this type of behaviour.

The problem with WoW and they continue to do is, they keep adding in more things to detach a person's reputation and behaviour from being a factor in his standing in the game - ie. they set up all these mechanisms that inadvertedly allows greater freedom of being a jerk without ingame social implications.

Before that in games like SWG or DAoC, reputation is very important. If you messed up with being a crafter and scammed someone, there is no coming back from that and you will have trouble selling your wares or finding a buyer. If your guild messed up other people's effort in other guild or in the alliance, your guild reputation will be quite long-lastingly tarnished.

WoW in a lot of it mechanics introduced (such as the popularization of auction houses, with detached a seller or buyer from his reputation, or cross-server/realm dungeons/pvp, which detachs bad players and non-contributors from having a bad reputation because there are now so many people that no one will recognise them often, etc) serves to remove reputation from the player.

That I see is one of the reasons why bad behaviours are fostered in WoW and continued in many other competitive games.

• ghostfaeriesghostfaeries Member UncommonPosts: 89
    hmm.... you shouldn't have said anything in the first place, and neither should your friend. not saying it's bad that you did but it's like feeding a troll. don't do it. you will just cause more unnecessary drama. if someone talks like that, they definitely deserve to be reported though. you shouldn't get so dramatic like that by uninstalling your game, etc. now if he were to read this he would then feel superior for making you quit so easily. in these types of games you come across so many immature people young and old who might give you the hardest time...and that's why they created the IGNORE button. enjoy your game, your time, and play how you want to play.