Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Starting to understand the importance of combos

chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Been playing a lot of GW2 and so far I haven't bothered with combos.  I found this a little frustrating as I am the type of gamer that wants to know everything about a games mechanic because its normally there for a reason.  I also thought that combos needed two players, but that's wrong.

(correct me if I am wrong) but a real basic guide.

Skill (A) creates combo field.

Skill (B) when used with combo field, creates a combo finish.

As far as I can tell the type of damage or skill makes no difference. However the result will be. 

So with my lvl 35 Engineer I realised my flamethrower has a 'Combo Field' which creates a line of fire on the ground.  Swapping back to my rifle skills I knoticed two had combo finishers.  Basically, when I used these finishers with the field,

• one made my bullets turn into fire
  • second gave me a personal fire shield that burnt anything it touched.

The results was pretty interesting.  Challening mobs became semi easy and I did notice a big change in DPS. 

I initially thought combos were a gimmick but I am realising that you could ignore and play without but for tough NPC's they could make or break you.  In PvP for a structured guild or smart group, they would make a huge difference if used correctly.

Overall, combat in GW2 could be quite simple if you want to play that way but I am starting to see how it could be very very complicated if you want to have a big advantage in PvE or PvP.

Anyone else have some good results with combos?

Comments

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

yep, I didn't start paying real attention to this stuff until I hit 45ish, at 51 I am addicted to the combos now. i love using them and taking part in them. It's changed my entire combat outlook for the better.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Mithrandolir

yep, I didn't start paying real attention to this stuff until I hit 45ish, at 51 I am addicted to the combos now. i love using them and taking part in them. It's changed my entire combat outlook for the better.

Flame turret skill and the magnetic pulse allows you to turn invisible for a decent amount of time. 

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Interesting you say you started looking at them around 45ish. I am almost 40 and I have a feeling the gloves are off and now I am finding myself really working hard to top multiple NPC's.  So had to start looking into better ways to kill and then looked at combos.  Maybe combos were intended as a more advanced combat mechanic for mid - high level players. 

I noticed the Guardian has combo fields and finishers with the same weapon, that's handy.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by chryses

Interesting you say you started looking at them around 45ish. I am almost 40 and I have a feeling the gloves are off and now I am finding myself really working hard to top multiple NPC's.  So had to start looking into better ways to kill and then looked at combos.  Maybe combos were intended as a more advanced combat mechanic for mid - high level players. 

I noticed the Guardian has combo fields and finishers with the same weapon, that's handy.

elementalist you can chain combos if you are fast it's pretty fun actually

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

I don't know why, but when I first read the thread title I tought it said: Starting to understand the importance of CONDOMS

LOl, I don't know why. Better get my eyes/mind checked...

• SerignuadSerignuad Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Originally posted by Psychow

I don't know why, but when I first read the thread title I tought it said: Starting to understand the importance of CONDOMS

You can pull off some pretty nifty combos with those too.. ;)

We need to start thinking of MMO's as we do music or literature or the movies. There is not one MMO or one game that will be universally satisfactory to everyone's taste. MMO's don't come in one genre just as books or music doesn't come in one genre. Change and innovation is a good thing in the MMO industry just as it is in literature and music, but every MMO doesn't need to push the envelope or be cutting edge to be "good" or fun. It just needs to be good. The same is true for music. The same is true for books or for movies. Music evolves. MMO's evolve. Storytelling evolves. And in doing so, it doesn't make obsolete or not enjoyable everything that's been done before. 
  • MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

Try not to shoot your condom through a fire field.

At least not before removing it.

IMO

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Logging in to take another look.

edit - Thought I may have missed something. Like some extrs finishers. I didn't...

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273

Been playing a lot of GW2 and so far I haven't bothered with combos.  I found this a little frustrating as I am the type of gamer that wants to know everything about a games mechanic because its normally there for a reason.  I also thought that combos needed two players, but that's wrong.

As far as I can tell the type of damage or skill makes no difference. However the result will be. 

So with my lvl 35 Engineer I realised my flamethrower has a 'Combo Field' which creates a line of fire on the ground.  Swapping back to my rifle skills I knoticed two had combo finishers.  Basically, when I used these finishers with the field,

The results was pretty interesting.  Challening mobs became semi easy and I did notice a big change in DPS. 

I initially thought combos were a gimmick but I am realising that you could ignore and play without but for tough NPC's they could make or break you.  In PvP for a structured guild or smart group, they would make a huge difference if used correctly.

Overall, combat in GW2 could be quite simple if you want to play that way but I am starting to see how it could be very very complicated if you want to have a big advantage in PvE or PvP.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

They're powerful and too few people know about them. I play a guardian and watching people run OUT of my symbols and consecrations in WvWvW makes me want to punch things.

Also, if you see a heavy armor wearing player wielding a staff hunkered down and appearing to channel something by all means, run as far away from him as you can. He's only channeling a stacking boon and then AOE healing everyone near him at the end of the channel. I mean, why would doing that in the middle of zerg be useful?

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    as a mesmer i have some nice combo options, been using them since level2 and can honeslty say i can solo any mob (even higher level +-6) because of just how badas combo fields are. can take out large groups of mobs if i plan my combos correctly.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    DMK:
    You missed a nice trick. Have one of your warriors equip the bow, switch to it when full of adrenaline, drop the fire field from the bow, then get everyone else to do a spin attack.
  • austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by DMKano

My regular group is 2 guardians and 3 warriors - we are all 80s and haven't needed any combos period mostly due to limited options of only 2 classes.

i think the system is cool but it is not really needed - we are doing all content so far including explore mode dungeons without any planned combos, just coordinated buff rotation.

When you use combos correctly you basically dont need buff rotations.

You can play without combos the same way you can play without using your utilities, just dont expect to be as good as people who do use them, they make taking bosses in general far easier in general.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by cahenderson

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Combo

They're powerful and too few people know about them. I play a guardian and watching people run OUT of my symbols and consecrations in WvWvW makes me want to punch things.

Also, if you see a heavy armor wearing player wielding a staff hunkered down and appearing to channel something by all means, run as far away from him as you can. He's only channeling a stacking boon and then AOE healing everyone near him at the end of the channel. I mean, why would doing that in the middle of zerg be useful?

This is too funny.  'Run! He is trying to heal us!' lol

I have to admit since looking into combos I have really tried to look out for other players and what they are doing.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359
    Originally posted by Serignuad

You can pull off some pretty nifty combos with those too.. ;)

You have to be careful not to use your finisher too early...

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74

These forums sometimes make me wish more people understood their importance

• truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74
    Originally posted by DMKano

My regular group is 2 guardians and 3 warriors - we are all 80s and haven't needed any combos period mostly due to limited options of only 2 classes.

i think the system is cool but it is not really needed - we are doing all content so far including explore mode dungeons without any planned combos, just coordinated buff rotation.

I think Guardians get a fire field (purging flames maybe?).  Put that down and have the warriors do the axe spin in it.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by truthhurts

These forums sometimes make me wish more people understood their importance

Haha, that was a pretty good one.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    I finally figured them out about 2 days ago.  They are really good when used properly.
  • jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143

I found the game much more fun when beginning to use them. As a mesmer , i could meellee with chaos armour up, improving my abillity to stay in mellee alot.

• NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673
    People will understand the use of combos once more of them hit explorable dungeons. When you actually need to maximise healing, it's hard to ignore a combo that can multiply healing effects by a factor of 10 and more :)
  • MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I'm looking for a prof that can use these well solo.  It does appear that necro has a few opportunities while others wouldn't be able to solo combo at all.
    Originally posted by Mardukk

I'm looking for a prof that can use these well solo.  It does appear that necro has a few opportunities while others wouldn't be able to solo combo at all.

ele...I can put down a field and get 3 blast finishers before the field is gone.. fun stuff

• st4t1ckst4t1ck Member UncommonPosts: 768
    Originally posted by Mardukk

i do pretty well on my thief solo, i can make poison arrows i can make aoe stealth there's a few more i cant think of of  the top of my head right now

• itsbigmikeitsbigmike Member Posts: 86
    just finished my ranger alt, pretty much guaranteed combos nonstop if anyone else is there hitting whatever i am =P

twitch.tv/boonmackle