Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can't play this game because of terrible mouse lag/camera smoothing/acceleration

rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084

I get totally nauseated after 10 minutes of playing it with this horrible mouse control

I thought Oblivion was the only game with this issue, but apparently it's a trend.

Yet another $60 down the drain.

How hard is it to make games with normal mouse control???

Comments

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Can't say I really understand the issue you're experiencing.. Is it something that can't be controlled by a setting? Are you using the most updated video drivers?
  • ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676
    Got to agree that camera is very bad and wow has better.hope they fixe it soon
  • AdmiralWolverineAdmiralWolverine Member UncommonPosts: 29
    I have never had any mouse lag  and the camera is perfectly fine, if you nauseated that easily i think you should stick well away from modern games.

• rikiliirikilii Member UncommonPosts: 1,084
    Originally posted by afropuff420
    Can't say I really understand the issue you're experiencing.. Is it something that can't be controlled by a setting? Are you using the most updated video drivers?

The best way to describe it is that it's like steering a boat.  There's a small delay from when I move my mouse until the camera stops moving, the speed of the camera accelerates in a way that is totally unrelated to the speed at which I'm moving my mouse, and when I stop moving the mouse, there's a short delay before the camera stops turning.

Oblivion had the same issue.  WoW, TOR, etc. don't.  This has to have been deliberately designed into the game, which makes it really sad that they didn't give an option to disable it.

Originally posted by daemon132
    I have never had any mouse lag  and the camera is perfectly fine, if you nauseated that easily i think you should stick well away from modern games.

Don't have this problem in any other "modern game" other than Oblivion, because most "modern games" have a 1:1 correlation between mouse movements and camera movement. 

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675
    Not really sure its all the games fault, I personally dont have this problem at all, and never heard any complaints from any of my friends.
  • SenanSenan Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by rikilii
    Originally posted by afropuff420

The best way to describe it is that it's like steering a boat.  There's a small delay from when I move my mouse until the camera stops moving, the speed of the camera accelerates in a way that is totally unrelated to the speed at which I'm moving my mouse, and when I stop moving the mouse, there's a short delay before the camera stops turning.

Oblivion had the same issue.  WoW, TOR, etc. don't.  This has to have been deliberately designed into the game, which makes it really sad that they didn't give an option to disable it.

I know what you're saying. That was the first thing I noticed when I started playing the game the other day. I remember EQ2 actually had it as a setting, and I believe it was called "smooth mouse" or something like that. I've also seen other games with sliders for adjusting the "smoothness", but I couldn't find anything like that in GW2.

Personally, I hate it when my mouse movement doesn't feel "tight" so it drives me nuts. But I did notice that it seems less noticeable in areas where I'm running at a higher fps. Not sure why that would make a difference though. Hopefully they'll add an option to disable the "smoothing" altogether.

Originally posted by Entropy14
    Not really sure its all the games fault, I personally dont have this problem at all, and never heard any complaints from any of my friends.

Hmm, I wonder if maybe it's a bug or driver compatibility issue, seeing as how it only seems to affect some of us.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    My Dad had the same problem. It's the way the camera moves, its really jerky and wavey. Its not a mouse setting or in game setting, its the way the camera automatically moves around. It is annoying.
  • ProbertProbert Member Posts: 18
    I agree with OP, not so much about the mouse, but the camera is horrid in this game. I find myself tryig to fix the camera angles and missing using skills..or getting turned ard on fights.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    This is my biggest problem with the game too. Still playing it though.
    Originally posted by Gamefun
    My Dad had the same problem. It's the way the camera moves, its really jerky and wavey. Its not a mouse setting or in game setting, its the way the camera automatically moves around. It is annoying.

That's also an issue, but I could live with that if the camera would move 1:1 when I move my mouse.

• evolpcevolpc Member UncommonPosts: 75
    I, too have noticed this problem. It does not affect me as much as some people but it is a very real issue. Some people will be nauseated by it and it has been being discussed since way before release. Unfortunately since it doesn't seem to bother some people they will claim that it doesn't exist at all. Somewhere I read a very good breakdown of the issue that looked at the technical problems associated with it but I can't remember where I saw it.
  • stringboistringboi Member UncommonPosts: 394
    If the camera doesnt move the way you want it to, why dont you adjust the camera speed in game...or in the control panel for your mouse?  I found the camera speed slow and bogged down, upped the speed in game and turned up the DPI on mouse....FIXED!
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Not sure what anyone in this thread is talking about. Plays pretty much exactly like any other 3rd person MMO I have ever played. You guys sure you don't have some other issue going on?
  • fenowy30fenowy30 Member UncommonPosts: 9
    Check if you have v-sync enabled, its common issue with this thing turned on.
    Originally posted by ironhelix
    Not sure what anyone in this thread is talking about. Plays pretty much exactly like any other 3rd person MMO I have ever played. You guys sure you don't have some other issue going on?

Case in point.

Found a link to a good, thorough description of the problem.  Check it out http://www.guildwars2guru.com/arenanet-tracker/topic/234839-camera-control-issues-a-documented-list/

And remember, this is something that is completely subjective. It may not bother you while it bothers others. It does not bother me but I recognize it is there.

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

I think it might be a camera speed setting issue in the options menu - cuz I remember when I first played it I feel what you are describing, then I found the camera speed option in the Options menu, tune that up, and then it works perfect.

Try changing that setting to higher.

• tyrannistyrannis Member Posts: 198

I'm guessing you find alot of things frustrating. 5 minutes of research and you could solve this not to mention come to understand it's not the game being shity.

##Best SWTOR of 2011
    Posted by I_Return - SWTOR - "Forget the UI the characters and all ofhe nitpicking bullshit" "Greatest MMO Ever Created"

##Fail Thread Title of 2011
    Originally posted by daveospice
    "this game looks like crap?"

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Started doing some testing on what the OP is talking about. Tried to adjust many options, but nothing seemed to change the effect. I guess I could see why this would be annoying to some, but it doesn't really bother me at all. However - it would be smart of ANET to put in a mouse smoothing feature which is an option that has been in games for a very long time now. 

Well, considering that I've never had issues like this with any other game (except for those with a "smooth mouse" option that can be disabled), and considering that it seems to be affecting more than just a few of us, I'd say it's very likely a game issue that only ArenaNet themselves can solve. Just because you don't experience it (or maybe just don't notice it) doesn't make the problem any less real for the rest of us that do.

• RingsideRingside Member UncommonPosts: 249

I understand your problem with the camera. I had the same issue and 

i bought a new mouse and adjusted the settings and everything works fine.

Takes a couple hours then you will not even see a difference compared to the other mmos you are used to play

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    Originally posted by rikilii

I get totally nauseated after 10 minutes of playing it with this horrible mouse control

I thought Oblivion was the only game with this issue, but apparently it's a trend.

Yet another $60 down the drain.

How hard is it to make games with normal mouse control???

I noticed the exact same thing when I started.

This really is a design choice, not "an issue'. still I had look away as it was bothering my eyes.

havign said that, I got used to it by not looking at my avatar at all and just looking toward where I was going. soon, I stopped getting that queazy feeling.

Worth a try.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by alacres

Well, considering that I've never had issues like this with any other game (except for those with a "smooth mouse" option that can be disabled), and considering that it seems to be affecting more than just a few of us, I'd say it's very likely a game issue that only ArenaNet themselves can solve. Just because you don't experience it (or maybe just don't notice it) doesn't make the problem any less real for the rest of us that do.

I suppose it's possible that I just don't notice the issue. I was just trying to point out that we are all playing the same game here, with the only variable being people's individual hardware at home.