Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This MMO (GW2) kills all other themepark MMOs

Comments

• KellerKeller Member UncommonPosts: 602

Guildwars 2 is not king of the themeparks, yet.

LOTRO has far more socializing possibilities than GW2. Guildhalls, playerhouses, musical instruments, player hubs, taverns, cooking, fishing, smoking, etc.

Lore is pretty decent in LOTRO aswell. A lot of players know the books by heart and the game is pretty accurate. A lot of scenic "deja vu".

When GW2 gets some socializing and creates a decent community, with a lot of player hosted events, then  we will see if it can be the new King.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Has no one except me noticed that he posted a completely different topic that says the exact opposite of what he is saying here? I'll post a link.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365124/page/1

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

No yeah new trend will take place here because of GW2.  They are going to remove the rides from themeparks from now on and instead of innovating things like what to do with the healer class, which the answer was brilliantly "remove it"

Its really a themepark with no rides.  Just a game for people who like repetition without goals or rewards.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by redman875

No yeah new trend will take place here because of GW2.  They are going to remove the rides from themeparks from now on and instead of innovating things like what to do with the healer class, which the answer was brilliantly "remove it"

Its really a themepark with no rides.  Just a game for people who like repetition without goals or rewards.

The way you describe makes it sound more like a sandbox, where you basically have to create your own goals to get anything out of it.

Granted before someone jumps down my throat, saying "SANDBOX MEANS PLAYER CREATED CONTENT, SO STFU NEWB", a sandbox for me is basically a game where they don't give any specific goals in mind and you are expected to create your own goals based on the freedoms and limitations presented to you via the game design.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I respectfully disagree with the OP's opinion.

• frestonfreston Member UncommonPosts: 503
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I respectfully disagree with the OP's opinion.

REPORTED¡¡¡¡

(I am obviously joking, just in case)

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

Not including sandbox MMOs (completely different)

But GW2 kills all other MMOs that are themepark. It has story (so don't need SWTOR), it doesn't have boring fall asleep on the keyboard autoattack (so don't need WoW), it has unique races...no quest hubs...no double tracking to return a quest that is a continent away. No grinding military style raids that have leaders that scream at you (WoW)...and the most amazing cities in any MMO (RIFT cities are like camps, they are freakin tiny)

What is the point in playing any other themepark MMO? GW2 does all of it, and does it way better. The only reason one wouldn't like GW2, is because they are sandbox fans and are jaded they aren't getting any quality sandbox MMOs.

GW2 is a HUGE leap forward in themepark MMOs. Anyone still playing the old are like those who used bows and arrows, because they didn't want to advance to the gun age. They are trying to old back advancements to the technology, trying to ruin future MMOs that are themeparks.

Only MMO that can be better, is a very high quality sandbox MMO. And its only "better" if that style of MMO is your thing and not themeparks. Right now though, all sandbox MMOs (except EVE and even that sucks, but its best one out) are too low quality.

Future of MMOs goes to GW2 and a high quality sandbox MMO.

The story isn't as good as SWTOR's (not that THAT was all that great) but I agree. Hearts aren't quest hubs UNTIL you realize they turn into karma vendors after you complete them and are the primary way of getting good gear while levelling. So they are, in fact, de facto quest hubs. I agree, you can't just auto-attack except for all those times when you can. Examples include any DE where there are more than 2 people present.

I love the game, but the reasons it rocks other themeparks aren't quite the ones you've listed.

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

Actually, I am playing right now.  Kinda just going through the motions atm.

But I was thinking about how this game compares to other themeparks.   I do think it is good.  But in all honesty, I think as far as PVE themeparks go, LOTRO is still a better game.   Even though there are no DEs in it, it handles the social aspect much much better IMO. 

• ProbertProbert Member Posts: 18
    In my opinion GW2 is a horribly boring game, again its just me. I'm glad for the masses that like it.
  • I dont wanna complain but if i didnt get that wrong, Dragon Nest would be the best MMO ever created for you...

Its a pretty free combat system and arrows dont follow you all day.

I thought it would be the funniest mmo out there for quite some time but even that gets boring (though i still like the PVP)

Also it has no european servers, which makes it hard to really pvp in combats like this.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    At level 50 right now (thief) and still think gw2 is so amazing.  The last few levels I'm feeling the character is coming into his own and I'm starting to feel like I'm mastering the class.  
  • niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    Originally posted by Psychow
    All my characters have auto-attack.

you have to dodge...arrows and missiles don't somehow travel to the moon to reach you and then into deep space. That is just stupid game design.

If you just stand still, you are dead. In other themepark MMOs, you stand there like a piniata

Combat in GW2 is WAY better. Granted, TERA has better combat...but so grindy, but the combat is great.

When I circle strafe, enemy projectiles follow me.  I can watch them arch towards me.  There are certain attacks that don't do this, but there are many that do.  They will arch towards you when you dodge/roll, but instead of taking damage it says "evade" even though you can see it hit you.  Melee seems to be much more impacted in the combat than ranged as many of their attacks if they are slower attacks don't follow you like an arrow.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

But GW2 kills all other MMOs that are themepark. It has story (so don't need SWTOR)Implying all story is equal?, it doesn't have boring fall asleep on the keyboard autoattack(It does...) (so don't need WoW)Implying WoW is the only auto attack game?, it has unique races(Humans, Nordic people (Which many games have) Tauren with a canivore spin = Char.  Asura are just funny looking gnomes, and Sylvan? Had that race in DAOC......no quest hubs...no double tracking to return a quest that is a continent away. No grinding military style raids that have leaders that scream at you Been screamed at plenty in dynamtic events already. (WoW)...and the most amazing cities in any MMO conjecture and opinion.(RIFT cities are like camps, they are freakin tiny)

What is the point in playing any other themepark MMO? The fact that they are different?  GW2 does all of it It has its own formula it made its own design choices, that doesn't make their choices the best choices, it just makes them ideal for YOU., and does it way better more opinon / conjecture. The only reason one wouldn't like GW2, is because they are sandbox fans and are jaded they aren't getting any quality sandbox MMOs.  Incorrect assuption based off an extremely inflated opinion of a product.

GW2 is a HUGE leap forward in themepark MMOs. How so?  Describe why you have this opinion. Anyone still playing the old are like those who used bows and arrows, because they didn't want to advance to the gun age. They are trying to old back advancements to the technology, trying to ruin future MMOs that are themeparks. So hearts and dynamic events make the game the next level of mmo?  We had many of these already...

Only MMO that can be better, is a very high quality sandbox MMO. And its only "better" if that style of MMO is your thing and not themeparks. Right now though, all sandbox MMOs (except EVE and even that sucks, but its best one out) are too low quality.   More opinion, conjecture, and assuption.

Seems like you really like GW2, cool glad you do.  Not sure why you feel the need to express your exreme love of said game at the expense of others.

Seems a bit silly.

• Johnie-MarzJohnie-Marz Member UncommonPosts: 865

What is the point in playing any other themepark MMO? GW2 does all of it, and does it way better. 

There are reasons to play other MMO's:

There are some players who enjoy healing. Whenever they try a new MMO they go for the healer. (I am sure you have played with someone like that)

There are some players who like the responsibilty of tanking. 

There are some players who enjoy that after they reach max level the can continue to progress there character.

What GW2 does is, try something different. People who are tired of the "trinity" now have an option. Guild Wars 2 takes away the Tank from the game, It takes away the Healer from the game, it takes away gear progression after you reach max level  through dungeons and raids. This is exactly what the gaming industry needs, games trying to be different.

Does this mean that the trinity is dead? I don't think so, I think there are players who like groups where everyone has a roll. Like a football team, a quarterback, wide receivers, offensive line all working together to acomplish a goal. Teamwork is a great part of what an MMO can do. 

I like TSW because the setting is different, it isn't the same old HIgh fantasy, elves, dwarves and flying dragons. Does that mean the "Modern, alternate reality ,uban fantasy, setting" is the wave of the future? No, it just means there's a game out there that gives players and option to play something different.

GW2 gives players the option to do something different, I think that is great. But it doesn't mean the other games are bad or that people should stop playing them. 

Every game getting rid of the trinity would be just as bad as what we had, every game having the trinity.

I want variety. I want fantasy settings and modern settings, I want games with skill based progression and games with traditional character levels. I want well made themeparks and well made sandboxes.  I want a games with no trinity but I don't want every game to get rid of it. 

Or we could just do what you want and we could all play GW2 and no other game... how boring would that be.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Originally posted by elocke
    If anything, I'm kind of hoping GW2 influences other MMOs as I do still enjoy them but that enjoyment has definitely dwindled due to the evolution of certain MMO elements that GW2 has brought to the table.  Namely questing, EXPLORATION, the loot and node being saved to the player, being able to tag mobs and get full credit/loot, etc. and the combat.  I would LOVE to see Lotro adopt this combat or something similar as well as the rewards for exploring.  So many awesome places they could throw secret jumping puzzles into Lotro's world.  Same with WoW.  Even Rift.  Also, VISTAS!!!! Every game, I would love these, I'm so addicted to them.  Map completion(just can't stop doing this, even on alts).  The list goes on. 

Can't agree more on some of these points.  What I am concerned about is my enjoyment of other MMO's that come out that don't include these. I am addicted to finding all the POI's and Vistas and get satisfaction at working them out.  I can accept other games not having these but I wouldn't accept very well is someone stealing a kill or looting my kills.  That would make me rage quit now.

The other effect GW2 has on players is that I am happy to engage a champion or veteran because I know I will get something out of it.  As  opposed to waiting for the current group to finish or just ignore and run past.  They make it worthwhile to get involved.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by Laughing-man

But GW2 kills all other MMOs that are themepark. It has story (so don't need SWTOR)Implying all story is equal?, it doesn't have boring fall asleep on the keyboard autoattack(It does...) (so don't need WoW)Implying WoW is the only auto attack game?, it has unique races(Humans, Nordic people (Which many games have) Tauren with a canivore spin = Char.  Asura are just funny looking gnomes, and Sylvan? Had that race in DAOC......no quest hubs...no double tracking to return a quest that is a continent away. No grinding military style raids that have leaders that scream at you Been screamed at plenty in dynamtic events already. (WoW)...and the most amazing cities in any MMO conjecture and opinion.(RIFT cities are like camps, they are freakin tiny)

What is the point in playing any other themepark MMO? The fact that they are different?  GW2 does all of it It has its own formula it made its own design choices, that doesn't make their choices the best choices, it just makes them ideal for YOU., and does it way better more opinon / conjecture. The only reason one wouldn't like GW2, is because they are sandbox fans and are jaded they aren't getting any quality sandbox MMOs.  Incorrect assuption based off an extremely inflated opinion of a product.

GW2 is a HUGE leap forward in themepark MMOs. How so?  Describe why you have this opinion. Anyone still playing the old are like those who used bows and arrows, because they didn't want to advance to the gun age. They are trying to old back advancements to the technology, trying to ruin future MMOs that are themeparks. So hearts and dynamic events make the game the next level of mmo?  We had many of these already...

Only MMO that can be better, is a very high quality sandbox MMO. And its only "better" if that style of MMO is your thing and not themeparks. Right now though, all sandbox MMOs (except EVE and even that sucks, but its best one out) are too low quality.   More opinion, conjecture, and assuption.

Seems like you really like GW2, cool glad you do.  Not sure why you feel the need to express your exreme love of said game at the expense of others.

Seems a bit silly.

Why not? 90% of the threads here are hate threads. If people who barely played the game can post stupid threads that the game sucks OP has the right too post the opposite.

OT, I agree. I would NEVER go back too a MMO with traditional combat and trinity. Even looking at games like Archeage the combat and questing seems like the standard bang your head on the keyboard.

You could present me with a game that has everything I ever wanted in an MMO but with a hotkey based combat system I wouldn't touch it. Doesn't matter if it has a huge open world with alot of player driven content and everything is amazing and polished.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Kilmar
    Every aspect of the game bores me as hell. I really dont hope, this is the future.

I hope that too, since I don't want the WoW clone template to be replaced with another template, I want variety to be strong on the AAA MMORPG market.

• eAzydamaneAzydaman Member Posts: 218
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Kilmar
    Every aspect of the game bores me as hell. I really dont hope, this is the future.

I hope that too, since I don't want the WoW clone template to be replaced with another template, I want variety to be strong on the AAA MMORPG market.

It won't. Unfortunately companies will continue too copy the WOW format. You will have WOW clones and lackluster sandbox MMO's made by people that don't have the resources too make a great game, they look good on paper but fail to deliver.

Last but not least you will have MMO's made by ArenaNet and personally that's the games I will be playing. Finally a developer that listens to the players. After trying too get through to Funcom for over a year when AOC came out this is a breath of fresh air.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257

But GW2 kills all other MMOs that are themepark. It has story (so don't need SWTOR), it doesn't have boring fall asleep on the keyboard autoattack (so don't need WoW), it has unique races...no quest hubs...no double tracking to return a quest that is a continent away. No grinding military style raids that have leaders that scream at you (WoW)...and the most amazing cities in any MMO (RIFT cities are like camps, they are freakin tiny)

What is the point in playing any other themepark MMO? GW2 does all of it, and does it way better. The only reason one wouldn't like GW2, is because they are sandbox fans and are jaded they aren't getting any quality sandbox MMOs.

GW2 is a HUGE leap forward in themepark MMOs. Anyone still playing the old are like those who used bows and arrows, because they didn't want to advance to the gun age. They are trying to old back advancements to the technology, trying to ruin future MMOs that are themeparks.

Only MMO that can be better, is a very high quality sandbox MMO. And its only "better" if that style of MMO is your thing and not themeparks. Right now though, all sandbox MMOs (except EVE and even that sucks, but its best one out) are too low quality.

Funny your sigs says you're trolling trolls, haters and fanbois yet you have composed quite an embarassing fanboi piece here. Insulting people playing other games doesn't help much either imho. So far I haven't seen that revolution or megasuperawesome MMO that GW2 fanbois seem to have found. Guess I "cannot play GW2 properly" image

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    LOL @ OP just no..
  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Member UncommonPosts: 1,636
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

you can set and unset any abilty to be your auto attack (or have none at all) by ctrl, right click - it says it in big letters on the hint "CTRL right click to disable autoattack"  you can even do this with things you pick up and use.

Im not sure the lower zone ghost town thing will happen, not like in wow clone mmos anyway, because;

1 the downscaling

Even with downscaling, people simply "finish" an area eventually and move on.

2 theres good rewards for exploring an entire map, level 80 players will want to go exploring to complete the map

They'll "explore" as far as they need to to unlock the achievement and then move on. "Achievement based exploration" is not "exploration". It's Achievement-chasing.

3 DEs scale, most of them are doable with 1 or 2 players.  Some arent though and will always require a group - mainly the ones with boss mobs.

And people will still complete them and move on.

4 people will buy the box in the future, much like gw1.  gw2 is the ideal game for people to buy when they are bored of their sub based mmo and waiting on expansion as its not such a risky financial outlay

It's not that people will still buy the game in the future. It's how many will buy the game in the future. You're not going to have "millions" buying this game forever (might come as a shock to some around here who assume everyone will automatically want the game).  The future new players are going to see fewer and fewer other people around.

As for "waiting on an expansion being a risky financial outlay". Buying any game - MMO or otherwise - is a "risky financial outlay" because you are not guaranteed to enjoy it - even with a free demo available. Of course unless people just pirate all their games. If someone's used to getting all their games for free, I suppose buying an expansion for a MMO (something they couldn't pirate) could seem like a prohibitively "risky financial outlay".  If that's the case, it's a case of twisted perspective, not a compelling argument.

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Johnie-Marz

What GW2 does is, try something different. People who are tired of the "trinity" now have an option. Guild Wars 2 takes away the Tank from the game, It takes away the Healer from the game, it takes away gear progression after you reach max level  through dungeons and raids. This is exactly what the gaming industry needs, games trying to be different.

Except it isn't different. Fallen Earth has no trinity. It has no meaningful gear grind. It has only a few dungeons and no raids. It also had a playerbase that endlessly repeated the "It's the journey not the destination" and "You're playing it wrong" mantra, right up until the point where most of them got bored and left the game,

Mind you FE had, and has, many, many problems, more than a few of which I'm sure are not shared by GW2, but it had most of GW2's "innovations" long before GW2 was anything more than vaporware, and I'm sure it wasn't even remotely close to being the first.

GW2 isn't doing anything a fraction as new nor unique as its fanbase seems to think.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I am just curious how you went from making this topic to about 15 minutes later making the following topic: Why GW2 will ultimately fail  ??

• JyiigaJyiiga Member UncommonPosts: 1,187
    While the OP has some incorrect information in it... I personally have zero urge to play any other (existing) themepark MMO at this time. The last several years worth are all crap, this one is not crap. 
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by Myria

Except it isn't different. Fallen Earth has no trinity. It has no meaningful gear grind. It has only a few dungeons and no raids. It also had a playerbase that endlessly repeated the "It's the journey not the destination" and "You're playing it wrong" mantra, right up until the point where most of them got bored and left the game,

Mind you FE had, and has, many, many problems, more than a few of which I'm sure are not shared by GW2, but it had most of GW2's "innovations" long before GW2 was anything more than vaporware, and I'm sure it wasn't even remotely close to being the first.

GW2 isn't doing anything a fraction as new nor unique as its fanbase seems to think.

Thanks for bringing this up.  I knew there was another recent MMO I played that didn't have the trinity; for the life of me, I couldn't remember which one.