Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why GW2 will ultimately fail

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

GW2 will suffer the same fate as other forced grouping MMOs. Remember Vanguard? A heavy group forced game? Once the population either leaves or reaches endgame...a newbie can't do ANY quest (barely), because either the game is not populated enough or/and reaches high levels. And it isn't only Vanguard. Every forced grouping game suffers the same fate. Ryzom does as well, the only thing you can do is be powerleveled by higher skilled players...no fun at all

The dynamic events are really going to suffer when everyone leaves the starter/lower level zones. Newbies won't be able to do any event, because there won't be enough people. This may not hapen right away, but a year down the line? You bet it will. Dynamic events are really group focused, and with no one in the lower zones...it just won't work. Now, the level scaling...high levels may come down...but I did this and still roflstomped everything. I had more fun in the higher level zones, personally...a lot more challenging.

Can't have forced grouping work forever, especially when the population drops or/and moves on. This is why GW2 will ultimately fail.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• yaoming36yaoming36 Member UncommonPosts: 189

HAHAHA I just read your other post.

Bi-polar disorder? XDXD I kid I kid

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Uh...

Do you have bipolar disorder or something? You said something that was almost the opposite only a few minutes ago.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

You group but you don't really group... but... well yeah I'm not quite sure what to say about this. It does scale (at least mildly) based off people around and you can do events without a large group though it can be a bit rougher depending on the event. Either way it won't be impossible to do it alone, but it likely will be much longer.

The game won't fail no matter how much you like to claim it will. Is it a glorious beacon and the sign of changes in the MMO world? Hell no, but its not a failure at all. 

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

GW2 cannot fail.

Its already a success thanks to some fantasic marketing. If it were a SUB game- It would fail. It isnt, the boxes have already sold and the results are in- Its been an unmitigated success.

Even if everyone quite tommorow- They made alot of $$$.

Player retention means nothing to this game. They willl crank out an Xpac every year or so and most will buy it, p-lay a few months and go back to their regular MMO logging in occasionally.

• Mad+DogMad+Dog Member UncommonPosts: 780
    All content scales......................... you can do an event with 1 person... LOL fail troll

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Purutzil

You group but you don't really group... but... well yeah I'm not quite sure what to say about this. It does scale (at least mildly) based off people around and you can do events without a large group though it can be a bit rougher depending on the event. Either way it won't be impossible to do it alone, but it likely will be much longer.

The game won't fail no matter how much you like to claim it will. Is it a glorious beacon and the sign of changes in the MMO world? Hell no, but its not a failure at all. 

I would play it if it had a sub

Its way more fun for me personally than a bunch of games with subs

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Originally posted by Mad+Dog
    All content scales......................... you can do an event with 1 person... LOL fail troll

some things require a group - champion mob DEs some skill points etc..

• rodingorodingo Member RarePosts: 2,870

Haha,...it's a solo game, it sucks!  It has map chat, it sucks!  It has dynamic events, it sucks!  It has WvW, it sucks!  It has level scaling, it sucks!  .... now freshly added  ....it has forced grouping, it sucks!

All the haters can't seem to agree. No surprise I guess.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by ShakyMo

And so they should.

Group required content in a MMO is perfectly acceptable. Non forced grouping actually equals forced soloing after all.

If there really is not a single person on your map that needs what you need the that's what guilds are for, right..?

If I had to choose a side, I would actually say there easn't nearly enough group PvE content in GW2. At least not for my tastes.

Originally posted by Purutzil

I would play it if it had a sub

Its way more fun for me personally than a bunch of games with subs

Game has been out less than a Month-

I am not knocking GW2. I like the game... Deciding if its sub worthy after such a short time means very little. I am fairly certain I would not (not sure yet though) but as a B2P it was fantastic and I am happy.

Most people love a game and sing its praises for about 90 days until the "newness" wears off. I personally think GW2 will take less time.

Easy to say you would sub NOW- But that questuion is better sereved in a Month or Three...

Again, I am not sure- But thats far too early to say if it would have the staying power to have a sub- I lean towareds NO after about 2 weeks of playing.

Originally posted by Vesavius

And so they should.

Group required content in a MMO is perfectly acceptable. Non forced grouping actually equals forced soloing after all.

If there really is not a single person on your map that needs what you need the that's what guilds are for, right..?

If I had to choose a side, I would actually say there easn't nearly enough group PvE content in GW2. At least not for my tastes.

Fully agree-

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Member UncommonPosts: 2,047
    While I think your premise of issues with level based games and a top heavy population is something worth discussing,  Anytimes you use terms such as "fail" or on the other end of the spectrum, "greatest," it will drag out the worst of the trolls, haters, fanboys, whatever label you want to attach to the forum pvp warriors of the site.
  • eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Popcorn anyone? I love these predictions, because there is never any flaw in a single one of these. Its like watching forecasters, only these people are far more accurate.
  • OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Soooo, this is another one of them people that have not played the game and do not know what they are talking about? The events scale with the size participating.....that means from 10 to 100 people the event gets harder to accomidate a challenge for all 100 people... the same goes for 10 to 1 the event gets easier so 1 person can do it. Please do your research before you assum you know something.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Player retention means nothing to this game. They willl crank out an Xpac every year or so and most will buy it, p-lay a few months and go back to their regular MMO logging in occasionally.

why anyone would ever go back to a quest hub linear progression MMO which is boring abnd deserted for xx levels just to do a so called end game which is just  mindless military style raiding for a random chance  of getting soem gear that wil be worthless next game update isbeyond me. For years now everyone has wanted a game that was not a WoW/EQ clone, well here you are

I miss DAoC

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

All you folks that disagree always say the DEs are no different than a quest hub. So why is this part any different? The DE's are scalable, so if you are alone they will adjust to just you. It is no different than questing in Rift by yourself. And like WoW or Rift if you can't do a quest you will ask for help, it's pretty simple. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• IsaneIsane Member UncommonPosts: 2,630

to OP:

Look any Developer who allows , little to no longevity. End Game in a week , two weeks ...... Is going to have problems. Endgame in anything less than a year elapsed realtime from registration for an MMO is just lazy Design and in reality means you do not need a persistent world to play the game in .  Or any community because it will never form.

Worlds also exist because they have something to offer, if all they offer is combat and guild play again a fail and a large MMO world is not needed an Arena will do.

Your post just does not add up seems contradictory and does not really make any solid points , qualify anything it seems someone has upset you.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Problem with the OP's breakdown is that they compared GW2 with Vanguard.  Both are opposite ends of the spectrum.

Vanguard was unplayable for me because you needed a set group with holy trinity setup and if you didn't have the exact balance right you failed.  So you are right on that front.  I quit after I spent most of my time standing around the front of dungeons yelling for tanks/healers.

GW2 the DE's are scaleable and I have completed a ton on my own. Even the tougher ones you can work them out.  There is no holy trinity so you don't rely on a healer. There is no hard grouping so you have to wait for an invite. If the DE dissapears over time you can still access that area.

When population dropped in Vanguard you couldn't play it. Even at odd hours when GW2 server is quiet, I can still play 90% of the game.

Your argument is really flawed.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Has no one except me noticed that he posted a completely different topic that says the exact opposite of what he is saying here? I'll post a link.

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/365121/page/1

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Vesavius

And so they should.

Agreed. 

It's not like you can't progress further because there aren't other players around.

In my opinion, in an MMO there must be:

- Content you can't ever hope to beat when you're on your own

- Content you have a really hard time beating when you're on your own, but not impossible if you're really good

- Content you can do on your own without too much hassle

And GW2 has all of this.

My main problem with this game is that the group content doesn't really feel that much like group content to me, but that's another discussion. :)

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

why anyone would ever go back to a quest hub linear progression MMO which is boring abnd deserted for xx levels just to do a so called end game which is just  mindless military style raiding for a random chance  of getting soem gear that wil be worthless next game update isbeyond me. For years now everyone has wanted a game that was not a WoW/EQ clone, well here you are

This is why most of you people dont get teh whole point of Raiding. You see gear as the end all be all of the game and that is not it. You play to have fun not to get gear that is why your logic is false by default. When a Raider kills a boss, its not about the loot, its all about teh experience and the feeling you get of killing something hard with a group of other 9 - 24 people. That feeling of satisfaction and camaradery you get at the end of a super hard encounter when everyone screams "YEAH!!!! WE DID IT!!!" that is why I raid, and that is why the people that have stuck to raiding for the past 7+ years do it. The gear is just a bonus that you will get just by doing the aforementioned, and will Aid in in the new encouters on next tiers. That is something that Gw2 is lacking and which is why a lot of people are jumping ship already. There are no "F**K YEAH!!!" moments since the experiences are all meh. DE's are nothing to write home about since there is no large scale epiness.

The PvP is the only thing holding GW2 endgame atm but even that is becoming stale pretty fast. The fact that you ge tno rewards, and I dont mean like you need the gear but like I said it is something to fall back to.  Like I said before, people play the game to have fun, however if you lose in a vertical scaling game you always have the possibility to get gear as a reward, albeit at a slower pace. This is always in the back of your mind so even if you lose you wont feel incredibly dishearted. Not to mention that getting gear is really not a problem in compteitivi pvp since there are brackets for that. Your rating determines with who you are going to get pitted agasint and usually they all have equal gear to begin with. The people that complain about gear in pvp have either not really played pvp, or they just too lazy to do anything. 

That is the real problem with Gw2, no progression whatsoever. If you only sPvP no point in even leveling since you get bolstered anyway. If you WvW, at least for now, good luck getting in a queue in a reasonable ammount of time and hope to join the zergfest. If you PvE well LOL! The game is solid 1-79 after that it just falls apart. Even in games like CoD there is some sort of progresssion base system, mind you that people keep playing it over and over. Same for LoL, there is alwasy progressions either in the form of XP or IP which you can use to purchase new champions and runes. 

TLDR; GW2 is an ok game until max level then it just falls falt on its face. Tee Hee

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• Entropy14Entropy14 Member UncommonPosts: 675

Ya I am failing to see the point of this post, I dont want my MMO to be a solo game, I play mmos to actually group, maybe if more MMOs started making a dangerous world , with great risk/reward, more of then would actually succeed,  and we could filter out some of these people who only wish to solo.

Its ruining my mmo experience.  plenty of games i can play alone.

• logicwarlogicwar Member UncommonPosts: 69

did anyone read his sig ?

"Trolling haters and trolls and fanboys since 2011"

• sr7olsnipersr7olsniper Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by logicwar

did anyone read his sig ?

"Trolling haters and trolls and fanboys since 2011"

By this point it was obvious this was a baiting thread, just looking at the OPs post history. However, it was still good as a conversation starter and hope actual debate can flow from ehre on out. 

At least with a sub game they know that people won't tolerate bullshit and leave. With anet we have no recourse but to buy our own lube so our assholes don't get too stretched out from getting bent over a table at Anets will. - Hrimnir

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    Funny though since many mmorpg's that force grouping have been a massive hit. To mention one FFXI.