Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This MMO (GW2) kills all other themepark MMOs

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

Not including sandbox MMOs (completely different)

But GW2 kills all other MMOs that are themepark. It has story (so don't need SWTOR), it doesn't have boring fall asleep on the keyboard autoattack (so don't need WoW), it has unique races...no quest hubs...no double tracking to return a quest that is a continent away. No grinding military style raids that have leaders that scream at you (WoW)...and the most amazing cities in any MMO (RIFT cities are like camps, they are freakin tiny)

What is the point in playing any other themepark MMO? GW2 does all of it, and does it way better. The only reason one wouldn't like GW2, is because they are sandbox fans and are jaded they aren't getting any quality sandbox MMOs.

GW2 is a HUGE leap forward in themepark MMOs. Anyone still playing the old are like those who used bows and arrows, because they didn't want to advance to the gun age. They are trying to old back advancements to the technology, trying to ruin future MMOs that are themeparks.

Only MMO that can be better, is a very high quality sandbox MMO. And its only "better" if that style of MMO is your thing and not themeparks. Right now though, all sandbox MMOs (except EVE and even that sucks, but its best one out) are too low quality.

Future of MMOs goes to GW2 and a high quality sandbox MMO.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

I get the feeling you just set off another powder keg, TO THE BUNKERS!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

But GW2 kills all other MMOs that are themepark. It has story (so don't need SWTOR), it doesn't have boring fall asleep on the keyboard autoattack (so don't need WoW), it has unique races...no quest hubs...no double tracking to return a quest that is a continent away. No grinding military style raids that have leaders that scream at you (WoW)...and the most amazing cities in any MMO (RIFT cities are like camps, they are freakin tiny)

What is the point in playing any other themepark MMO? GW2 does all of it, and does it way better. The only reason one wouldn't like GW2, is because they are sandbox fans and are jaded they aren't getting any quality sandbox MMOs.

GW2 is a HUGE leap forward in themepark MMOs. Anyone still playing the old are like those who used bows and arrows, because they didn't want to advance to the gun age. They are trying to old back advancements to the technology, trying to ruin future MMOs that are themeparks.

Only MMO that can be better, is a very high quality sandbox MMO. And its only "better" if that style of MMO is your thing and not themeparks. Right now though, all sandbox MMOs (except EVE and even that sucks, but its best one out) are too low quality.

Just no. Wait a few more weeks, people is already quitting.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    All my characters have auto-attack.
  • VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Glad you're enjoying the game and you're definitely welcome to your opinion.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by Psychow

you have to dodge...arrows and missiles don't somehow travel to the moon to reach you and then into deep space. That is just stupid game design.

If you just stand still, you are dead. In other themepark MMOs, you stand there like a piniata

Combat in GW2 is WAY better. Granted, TERA has better combat...but so grindy, but the combat is great.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

judging by your signature, you like sandbox MMOs. This is about themepark MMOs. I already said at the end that the only step forward is a good sandbox MMO. GW2 already nails the themepark genre.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by VirusDancer

judging by your signature, you like sandbox MMOs. This is about themepark MMOs. I already said at the end that the only step forward is a good sandbox MMO. GW2 already nails the themepark genre.

In your opinion.  Why don't folks get that?  It's your opinion.  It's not a fact.  It's just an opinion.

Again, I think it's awesome that you're enjoying the game.  Everybody should have a game (or more) that they enjoy.

But your opinons on that game are just that - your opinions on it....

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by hikaru77

Just no. Wait a few more weeks, people is already quitting.

Of course others are quitting, it happens in every new release. There are also folks remaining, new starting, and the cycle will keep going as in most other good titles. 

I love all mmorpgs, play them every day. WoW, Rift, Aion, War, blah blah. I can tell when something is decent and going to stick around for a while. This game will. The number of players in the world playing PVE is amazing. Folks are in every little nook and cranny. They are in caves, underwater, and on mountain tops. Random video taken yesterday. The world is huge and I was just running through this valley and caught at least 5 people battling in this one area.

I'm not dumb enough to think it will stay this populated, but I know from experience when people are having fun. This game is not your common themepark, it has "it".

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618

If you are setting a skill for auto atack at any point after 60 then you seriously suck at games.

Anyone with half a brain can notice that there is an ability que and that your 1st ability is exactly that, another ability. The people that complain about responsivenes in the game are actually people that dont understand that sometimes their skills dont work because they are in a que after their 1st ability.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well... quite... um... exuborant in your view though I completely disagree. The story for the world isn't bad but the personal story fluxates from being cool to just super cheesy and stupid. Choices you make in the end don't matter at all and simply become phased out as you get further in. Its a story but the second it tries to flaunt the story, it tends to make me cringe... which isn't helped by the fact they decided to make the characters as unlikeable as possible... primarily YOUR character. Come on, the silent protagonist would of done wonders here! Sorry rant there but it bothers me.

I'm not quite sure about your comment about others not using guns and the likes because a large majority DO use guns adn the likes being involved and have for some time.

I mean if you want to say it kills it, go ahead, but to me its identicle to those other themeparks you claim it to be, the only difference is it takes aspects from other games and refines them in its own way to make the game more 'actiony' in feel... which sadly ends up making the game feel far more anti-social. You play with people in events... but your not really 'playing' with them... if that makes sense. 

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by austriacus

If you are setting a skill for auto atack at any point after 60 then you seriously suck at games.

Anyone with half a brain can notice that there is an ability que and that your 1st ability is exactly that, another ability. The people that complain about responsivenes in the game are actually people that dont understand that sometimes their skills dont work because they are in a que after their 1st ability.

My highest character is level 37. The others are level 11 or less.

'll keep that in mind thos as I reach higher levels. Thanks for the tip, even tho you weren't trying to be helpfull.

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by DMKano

Another one of these GW2 = the next coming of messiah posts

Lol

The auto-attack bit made me chuckle

In 3 months the game will be interesting when the lower zones are ghost towns - DEs will be interesting with nobody around

The auto-attack can be turned off and it is equal to a macro in Rift or WoW in my opinion. It could also be in the same league as an addon that helps tell you when to push a button.

I agree, population and DEs will be interesting since they are equal to a quest in any other mmorpg. They are scalable, and therefore, they will of course adjust to you if you are alone, and if you can't beat the quest then you will have to group like other games. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• KopogeroKopogero Member UncommonPosts: 1,685

This "GW2" MMORPG would kill all other themepark MMORPG's if it was free to play. The fact it will charge $40+ for expansions is another reason why it will fail badly.

2 mil sales worldwide says it all. Majority of players want open world, massive sandbox worlds that they can impact them with their actions while the majority of rest MMORPG players still remained milked by WOW, cuz at least that game was innovative in 2004 and deserves it.

I'm well beyond done with WOW and Aion, DCUO were the last 2 MMORPG's that took my $. In meantime I can play DCUO for free and it sure beats GW2 box price.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Kopogero

This "GW2" MMORPG would kill all other themepark MMORPG's if it was free to play. The fact it will charge $40+ for expansions is another reason why it will fail badly.

2 mil sales worldwide says it all. Majority of players want open world, massive sandbox worlds that they can impact them with their actions while the majority of rest MMORPG players still remained milked by WOW, cuz at least that game was innovative in 2004 and deserves it.

I'm well beyond done with WOW and Aion, DCUO were the last 2 MMORPG's that took my $. In meantime I can play DCUO for free and it sure beats GW2 box price.

The disconnection with reality that some people have in this forum is astonishing.

Most players are casuals. Casuals dont want a world, they want a game, you sandboxers need to realize you are a niche and that its not a bad thing to be a niche.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

you can set and unset any abilty to be your auto attack (or have none at all) by ctrl, right click - it says it in big letters on the hint "CTRL right click to disable autoattack"  you can even do this with things you pick up and use.

Im not sure the lower zone ghost town thing will happen, not like in wow clone mmos anyway, because;

1 the downscaling

2 theres good rewards for exploring an entire map, level 80 players will want to go exploring to complete the map

3 DEs scale, most of them are doable with 1 or 2 players.  Some arent though and will always require a group - mainly the ones with boss mobs.

4 people will buy the box in the future, much like gw1.  gw2 is the ideal game for people to buy when they are bored of their sub based mmo and waiting on expansion as its not such a risky financial outlay

Originally posted by austriacus

The disconnection with reality that some people have in this forum is astonishing.

Most players are casuals. Casuals dont want a world, they want a game, you sandboxers need to realize you are a niche and that its not a bad thing to be a niche.

thing is GW2 is no where near as themeparky as WOW, AIOn, DCUO etc..  Its way more open and way less linear.  Its only a linear game if you choose to play it that way.  you dont have to do the story quest chain, you dont have to follow all the static heart events, you can just wander about and do what you find interesting.

• KilmarKilmar Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Every aspect of the game bores me as hell. I really dont hope, this is the future.
  • JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    Originally posted by DMKano

Another one of these GW2 = the next coming of messiah posts

Lol

The auto-attack bit made me chuckle

In 3 months the game will be interesting when the lower zones are ghost towns - DEs will be interesting with nobody around

chcukle ., my mid 50's elementalist spent the better part of the day in level 10 - 20 zones that I had never seen. Game de- leveled me so the combat was still interesting and yet I still got decent rewards and exp. Now take any other standard sandbox  MMO and you would be correct.

oh and all I did was wander around gathering resources and jumping into the occasional DE, did some hearts and vistas. Nothing planned at all just random wandering. I rate the game half sandbox, half themepark myself

I miss DAoC

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453

Not sure if it will kill all other themeparks but for me its doen something interesting.  As a sandbox MMO lover, I personally hate themepark games and I have only tried a few and ended up leaving in 3 weeks.  GW2 is the first of its type that has really won me over. 

Some key reasons:

- combat is actually meaningful and you can really influence based on your strategy. 

- Open world and doesn't feel linear. e.g. yesteray even at level 40 I went back to the starting zone and played out some events I really liked.  I get side tracked constantly because of things to do.

- Removed a lot of 'fun' barriers. e.g. being able to send craft items and sell anywhere in the world. Not having to wait for a healer. Once activated you can travel anywhere.  etc etc. 

I am really shocked at how much I like this game and a good sign is that I haven't touched my alts yet. 

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

Majority of players want open world, massive sandbox worlds

Uhhh.. no, not really.  Where did you get that from?

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701
    Originally posted by chryses

Not sure if it will kill all other themeparks but for me its doen something interesting.  As a sandbox MMO lover, I personally hate themepark games and I have only tried a few and ended up leaving in 3 weeks.  GW2 is the first of its type that has really won me over. 

Some key reasons:

- combat is actually meaningful and you can really influence based on your strategy. 

- Open world and doesn't feel linear. e.g. yesteray even at level 40 I went back to the starting zone and played out some events I really liked.  I get side tracked constantly because of things to do.

- Removed a lot of 'fun' barriers. e.g. being able to send craft items and sell anywhere in the world. Not having to wait for a healer. Once activated you can travel anywhere.  etc etc. 

I am really shocked at how much I like this game and a good sign is that I haven't touched my alts yet. 

^ same here. There's been a single other modern (post 2001) themepark that i was able to enjoy for more than a month, Rift. But GW2 slaughters that for me, I'm only 80 hours in but I am more hyped about it now than I was at launch, and I have so much left to see and do that it's even a bit overwhelming to think about it all.

I'm an explorer first and foremost, and until now the only mmorpgs I truly loved to explore were EQ1, AC1, VG, games like that... but GW2 is up there now amongst the best for me.

• eggy08eggy08 Member Posts: 525
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Majority of players want open world, massive sandbox worlds

Uhhh.. no, not really.  Where did you get that from?

Ya.. ask 2 sandbox players what they want and I bet you'll get 2 completely different answers. So I doubt that statement would honestly be the majority for even sandbox players in general...

The game definetly has sandbox elements, but I wouldn't call it a hybrid as such, its still a themepark.

But it has more in common with old themeparks, especially daoc (not just with WvW, also crafting and exploryness). Than all recent themeparks which basicly follow the wow formula, some more so - swtor, rift, some less so tsw, war, aion.
  • elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    If anything, I'm kind of hoping GW2 influences other MMOs as I do still enjoy them but that enjoyment has definitely dwindled due to the evolution of certain MMO elements that GW2 has brought to the table.  Namely questing, EXPLORATION, the loot and node being saved to the player, being able to tag mobs and get full credit/loot, etc. and the combat.  I would LOVE to see Lotro adopt this combat or something similar as well as the rewards for exploring.  So many awesome places they could throw secret jumping puzzles into Lotro's world.  Same with WoW.  Even Rift.  Also, VISTAS!!!! Every game, I would love these, I'm so addicted to them.  Map completion(just can't stop doing this, even on alts).  The list goes on. 
  • solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203

Well, no.

GW2 has a really bland (not to mention very spare) story experience. The PVE systems are varied and somewhat fresh, and that's good, but this game is either about: a) combat, or; b) exploring the map.

I almost have no feeling that there's actually this character I'm playing in GW2, no feeling of personality, history, story.

The game frankly feels like a well-oiled combat carousel.

Contrast this with The Secret World or SWTOR, the first of which provides solid atmosphere and story, and the second of which adds a lot of extensively written characters on top of the (again, extensively written) story.

You just can't find anything close to that in GW2 if you're a story-focused player.