Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is GW2 any good?

dealzerdealzer Member Posts: 5
Is it good? SWTOR was boring for me since it was way too much like wow. Any reviews?

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Well what are you looking for from an MMO?
  • Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Its mediocre
  • CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49
    It is pretty damn awesome (YMMV),  but you would be fair better off to research it on your own, than to ask a troll-infested lot such as this place.
  • dealzerdealzer Member Posts: 5
    Ah ok. Guess I'll wait for Torchlight 2.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

well i think gw2 is a good game, i dont know what kind of mmo u prefer. Fantasy sci-fi modern day?

i guess if like fantasy world u may like it or maybe not,

the game could be bad or good . its all depend of you,

look into it first before making a mistake .

and most important dont judge the game just by reading review or comment of other people,

its all a matter of opinion and liking, if someone hate it, those not mean that u will hate it too,

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• MMOwandererMMOwanderer Member Posts: 415
    This thread will end well. As others have said, it would help if you stated what you're looking for OP.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by dealzer

You'd honestly have a better chance of getting a straight answer from looking at Youtube videos of GW2 and making your own judgement, than coming to a place where this is the most common thing you will see on the forums:

Originally posted by smh_alot
    - if you hate a game that I hate, then you're a smart and intelligent critic

- if you love a game that I hate, then you're a blind, delusional fanboi or a shill

- if you love a game that I love, then you show good taste and are a true MMO gamer

- if you hate a game that I love, then you're a bitter, smallminded hater and not a true lover of MMO's.

Basically put, your own judgement is better in the long run, and if you don't like it...well it's a one time purchase, play forever deal, or you can just refund it.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Yes

It's not like Swtor. It's not a wow clone.

If you start I recommend you approach the pve like say skyrim, just go off and explore stuff.

The personal story is a bit average, I wouldn't bother with that.

WvW is fun IF you can roll on a medium server and join a dedicated WvW guild or a pvx guild with a strong WvW presence. If you just go on your own it will be a "follow that zerg" experience.
  • sk8chalifsk8chalif Member UncommonPosts: 666

so u had already made ur mind just because someone else said its mediocre

right. well wait for torchlight 2 then lol

~The only opinion that matters is your own.Everything else is just advice,~

• VolenibbletsVolenibblets Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Funny how he ignored the positive recommendation in favour of the negative one, speaks volumes that.  
  • KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Is it good? SWTOR was boring for me since it was way too much like wow. Any reviews?

... You got two serious answers, neither of them statig real facts (which of course you didn't either) and immediately decide on torchlight? I smell something fishy over here...

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Good game. There are questions about staying power though.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • WrenderWrender Member Posts: 1,386
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yes

It's not like Swtor. It's not a wow clone.

If you start I recommend you approach the pve like say skyrim, just go off and explore stuff.

The personal story is a bit average, I wouldn't bother with that.

WvW is fun IF you can roll on a medium server and join a dedicated WvW guild or a pvx guild with a strong WvW presence. If you just go on your own it will be a "follow that zerg" experience.

How can you play GW2 and NOT do the personal story? Isn't that like the main quest line or something?

Originally posted by bcbully
    There are questions about staying power though.

Aren't there with every new game?

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Volenibblets

Yes, some more than others due to fundamental design. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Volenibblets

Yes, some more than others due to fundamental design. 

I'd love to hear more about this mythical "some".  GW2 has less staying power, for example, than what other new MMO?  Let's face it, all new MMOs suffer the same problem... over-saturation in the market, it has nothing to do with their design.  It's hard for an MMO to have staying power when there's something "better" around the corner that people are going to jump ship for.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182

Well for me it's awesome game but I learned that some people just have their needs in MMO that this MMO not satisfy.

For example one guy complain about level scaling - he whine that he can't one-shot mobs at lower level areas while we see it as tools that allow us to return to that areas, play with low lvl friends/wife/girlfriend or someone and still have a blast.

Some people complain that this game is skill based, not gear based and that GW2 lack of grind. Because of that they spend their whole life in game and still some poor bastard who play 4 hours a week can kick their ass in PVP because he is just better.

Some people complain that game never require you to pick up quest. You just need to be in area. I don't know why the complains since this game 100% removed backtracking and few other issues.

Some people complain that dungeons are too hard while he complain that game is too easy. Or something like that. Anyway - one guy whined so much because his ass was kicked so hard that his armor was destroyed. He died so many times in dungeon :-D

Some people complain that people almost never form a party while in this game, you are ALWAYS in a party. Your party are people next to you (everyone can kill, gain exp and loot mobs).

Anyway - just try for yourself. No monthly fee, just need to buy a box. That's it. Game is awesome. You won't be lost since it's something like WoW, TERA and other themeparks while many things that didn't work in that MMO games was redesigned by ANet.

Check this review, that sum almost everything. BTW, most issues he was talking about in the end are already gone:

http://angryjoeshow.com/2012/09/guild-wars-2-angry-review/

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
     Any reviews?

player reviews at this site

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/forum/1398/Reviews-Impressions.html

• OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    OP asks question, reads first response, takes it as gospel and leaves... good investigation skills. We are really evolving as a race, I can see it now.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Killsmallchi
    OP asks question, reads first response, takes it as gospel and leaves... good investigation skills. We are really evolving as a race, I can see it now.

Yeah, we've got more in common with the little guy in your avatar than many would like to admit... except it should be replaced by a sheep, then it'd be more accurate.

Originally posted by Eir_S
     Let's face it, all new MMOs suffer the same problem... over-saturation in the market, it has nothing to do with their design.  It's hard for an MMO to have staying power when there's something "better" around the corner that people are going to jump ship for.

That and the fact that everyone compares their impression of new releases to the feeling they had when they played x MMORPG ten years ago. And, unsurprisingly, every new release now looks dubiously durable by comparison. Well since these early groundbreaking games came out, we as a gaming community have become viciously hard to please. But that's to be expected I guess. GW2 is a great game imo but it's never gonna feel as great as the ones that ploughed the field. 

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Gw2 has less staying power if you are a hardcore raider. It's the first aaa mmo in a long while not pandering to that minority
  • BoneserinoBoneserino Member UncommonPosts: 1,768
    Originally posted by sk8chalif

so u had already made ur mind just because someone else said its mediocre

right. well wait for torchlight 2 then lol

OMG!  How sad is this! 

LOL!!

FFA Nonconsentual Full Loot PvP ...You know you want it!!

• bobbymobobbymo Member UncommonPosts: 48

Is it good?

I guarantee I am enjoying it. I also guarantee we differ on what is good food or music.

It seems that most people view this game as "good",  maybe great.  

I read the reviews before i bought it.  It looks solid on Metacritic compared to all other mainstream games.

All in all I am enjoying the game and I don't regret spending $60 for it. I don't regret the monthly fee(because there is none). 

Is it a the ground breaking, genre changing savior of online gaming???  I  don't know and I  don't care.

I like it.

• Schoeneck93Schoeneck93 Member Posts: 70

This game is amazing.

Definitely worth buying.

People saying its bad, are simply burnt out and cannot be pleased. Even if you don't like the game, you'd have to have a serious lack of intelligence to not see the high quality of the game and the quality of the devs.