Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: For the Veteran MMO players only

Comments

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

I was torn since I could only vote for one. I voted everquest, altho several on (and off) the list were worthy.

I agree with others who say they're best left in the past, though. I think today a game with heavy penalty for repeated death, open (non-instanced) dungeons, saleable/tradeable "uber drops" and required raid mentality would be exploited heavily and/or rejected en masse by the have-nots.

I really want a player-driven economy like swg but the necessary controls on such would have to be regulated something akin to real-life wall-street, especially when the question of game currency for real money would inevitably rise. You know at some point or another, a few "name" games had in-game to real life gdp greater than some small nations?

edit: this from wikipedia. I know it's not a great source, but I can't find the original convos...

"Because items can be traded within the game and also because of illegal online trading on websites, virtual currency to real currency exchange rates have been calculated. The BBC reported that in 2002 work done by Edward Castronova showed that Everquest was the 77th richest country in the world, sandwiched between Russia and Bulgaria and its GDP per capita was higher than that of the People's Republic of China and India.[19] In 2004, a follow-up analysis of the entire online gaming industry indicated that the combined GDP of the online "worlds" populated by the two million players was approximately the same as that of Namibia.[20]"

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    Didnt vote since "None" point missing
  • ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Aethaeryn
    Yeah. . odd that the poll would have pre T2A UO. . I didn't mind T2A it was the rest  that was the problem.  Then there is no mention of pre CU or pre NGE for SWG. . also AC is missing.

I didnt like t2A because it removed players from the mainland where housing and some of the best pvp exerpiences were. It was kind of like trammel to me...even though you could pvp.

I didnt play AC and there's only 10 choices so it was left out.

SWG assumes pre NGE.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• LukainLukain Member UncommonPosts: 591

Asherons Call...

• KonfessKonfess Member RarePosts: 1,667
    I played most every game on this list. And looking at the graphics of Planetside 2, I must vote for SWG with the same game playas Pre-CU/NGE and graphics of PS2. I think that would be an awesome game.

Pardon any spelling errors
    Konfess your cyns and some maybe forgiven
    Boy: Why can't I talk to Him?
    Mom: We don't talk to Priests.
    As if it could exist, without being payed for.
    F2P means you get what you paid for. Pay nothing, get nothing.
    Even telemarketers wouldn't think that.
    It costs money to play.  Therefore P2W.

• ZigZagsZigZags Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by Konfess
    I played most every game on this list. And looking at the graphics of Planetside 2, I must vote for SWG with the same game playas Pre-CU/NGE and graphics of PS2. I think that would be an awesome game.

You like PS2? Im in the beta and not very impressed. Graphics are nice but doesnt the game feel bland with no character story/developement? feels just like BF3 but with less going on.

Dragnon - Guildmaster - Albion Central Bank in Albion Online

www.albioncentralbank.enjin.com

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by ZigZags
    Originally posted by Konfess

You like PS2? Im in the beta and not very impressed. Graphics are nice but doesnt the game feel bland with no character story/developement? feels just like BF3 but with less going on.

Still beta, you're there to test.

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177

Pretty much the same as other AC fans- no Asheron's Call, no vote.

2nd choice would be a tie between UO and SWG, but I feel strongly enough not to skew the results that way with a vote for 2nd place.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• NeherunNeherun Member UncommonPosts: 280

Everquest Next will be made on Forge Light, and as a beta tester of Planetside 2, I must say that engine is extremely impressive, we may see a first person sworder, as the engine supports it, with hundreds versus hundreds supported as an FPS game. Not to mention SOE president Smedley has announced that EQ Next will be "PVP Focused".

Still, I voted for Shadowbane.

Originally posted by Neherun

Everquest Next will be made on Forge Light, and as a beta tester of Planetside 2, I must say that engine is extremely impressive, we may see a first person sworder, as the engine supports it, with hundreds versus hundreds supported as an FPS game. Not to mention SOE president Smedley has announced that EQ Next will be "PVP Focused".

Still, I voted for Shadowbane.

Well we already have Darkfall, which can accomplish the same feat.

Smed did say on Reddit that EQNext would return to player driven content/socializing and communities. Let's hope.

• hyllstarterhyllstarter Member UncommonPosts: 203
    I would say SWG. I played for 8 years. I loved Pre-Cu but after playing the Emu the NGE that was around at the end was a better game.

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Precu SWG.  There's a lot of crappy games out there that don't even deserve to be taking up bandwidth and this game is shut down.  It's sad.  It deserved to be rolled back to precu, not killed off completely forever.

I had a lot of good memories in SWG.  I'll never be able to get them back, but nostalgia demands I cast my vote.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    was really torn between SWG and DAoC, chose SWG in the end, because pre-cu the game had so much potential, if only they had spent the time fixing the game instead of trying to reinvent it image
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

UO should stay legendary the way it was.

Voted for Anarchy Online. We need more Sci-Fi that isn't riding the two big franchises to death.

• SiugSiug Member UncommonPosts: 1,257
    I'd play newly and better made Everquest. Even mob pulling needed skills there and the world itself was huge. Traveling through high level areas as a lowbie was a true adventure with high risk because death penalty was harsh. Didn't like EQ2 much and after that every next MMO had a smaller world with more hand holding. 
  • gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757

I doubt any of those games would make a good comeback.

It's no longer the days of big worlds, inmersion, group playing and challenge. No, it's the days of minigames, soloing all the way to cap, epics with your box of cheerios, tiny worlds and cash shops.

Originally posted by gordiflu

I doubt any of those games would make a good comeback.

It's no longer the days of big worlds, inmersion, group playing and challenge. No, it's the days of minigames, soloing all the way to cap, epics with your box of cheerios, tiny worlds and cash shops.

You say that, but has there been a single successful WoW clone? No. They've all been merging servers within months of launch. That never happened to these golden age MMOs.

• elockeelocke Member UncommonPosts: 4,335
    Chose FFXI, because FFXIV was supposed to be just that, a newer version and it wasn't even close.  Still my best nostalgic old MMO hands down.  
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Badaboom

You do not want to go there.  The bastardization of a remake of your favorite game would make you cry.

Sadly this ^

A game of yesterday released today would not be what you would hope for it to be. I mean just look at The Elder Scrolls Online, see what they did to that? The Suits are in charge now days. 

• pierthpierth Member UncommonPosts: 1,494

Originally posted by TobiasGrey
    Originally posted by gordiflu I doubt any of those games would make a good comeback. It's no longer the days of big worlds, immersion, group playing and challenge. No, it's the days of minigames, soloing all the way to cap, epics with your box of cheerios, tiny worlds and cash shops.  
    You say that, but has there been a single successful WoW clone? No. They've all been merging servers within months of launch. That never happened to these golden age MMOs.

The Golden Age of MMOs also had a much, much smaller playerbase than what's available today; on top of that even players that played those original games likely have different social circumstances than they did at that time keeping them from playing the more time-intensive games.

I still currently play one of the poll titles on an emulated server (as its live version has changed into something much poorer IMO) and while I think there is room in the genre for something like the more classic MMOs I don't think there'd ever be enough financial support to see any of them to fruition.

Only a small number of MMO players read the forums and even fewer post on them so of those forum posters that desire a return to older mechanics are likely an infinitesimal portion of the overall MMO playerbase. They'd all need to contribute an inordinate amount of money to see anything like this actually occur; fun forum topic though.

• TirxTirx Member Posts: 6

SWG pre cu  were some of my best times {next to Ac1}  I ever had.

If SWG pre cu was out there, i would sub 19.99 easy.  

Dont make me go there with $OE ......Ive put that hate to rest...

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRG.....Im ok  im ok...SOE twitch ..Docs got me on good Drugs.

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    I'd like to see either Shadowbane or Asherons Call remade. Why isn't Asheron's Call on the list?.
  • SiderasSideras Member Posts: 231
    I would say DAoC but considering EA owns the right with Biowhore as the developers it would be shite.
  • bubalubabubaluba Member Posts: 434
    SWG with new graphic would be something epic
  • GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290
    Originally posted by Sideras
    I would say DAoC but considering EA owns the right with Biowhore as the developers it would be shite.

I'm staying far away from EA, I won't touch any of there games anymore. EA destroys every game they touch, buyout or get there hands on.