Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW stands the test of time with it being the only successful sub base game.

2»

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I think
    EQ, uo, daoc, eve, coh, aion and rift all made a profit. Probably more.

The question that should be asked is why is wow box + expansions + sub + cash shop when they've made so much money and how cone with such vast resources they don't pump out content at the rate of other games.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    I think

The question that should be asked is why is wow box + expansions + sub + cash shop when they've made so much money and how cone with such vast resources they don't pump out content at the rate of other games.

Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I think the developers just got too cozy in their position on the throne, and figured everyone wouldn't care.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Cause they basically allow all of activisions game development.
  • KnaveSkyeKnaveSkye Member UncommonPosts: 137

No one can argue the games success or how well it is still doing. If this is the standard you want to compare to, then there is just nothing else that’s close. EQ1 and EQ2 and EVE have all been around as long or longer...and while they may have F2P options, there is still the option to subscribe if you don’t want a neutered experience. 

The reasons for WoW still doing so well isn’t really about quality anymore unfortunately. A large number of people started playing MMO's because of this game, people that would have never likely touched them, because this is easy mode instant gratification. Other games can’t draw the same numbers because a challenging game that strongly encourages socializing cant appeal to the same number of people, which is what a lot of early MMO's did.

Couple this with all the time people have invested in their characters and people can’t bring themselves to just leave them...even if it’s not nearly as much fun as it used to be to play them. Add in the fact you can run the game on 6 year old hardware without a hitch...some people can’t afford a newer rig so they stick with it.

So yes, WoW is a class of its own...one I can only hope will be copied less and less as developers realize they can’t lure the WoW market away with more of the same and more than likely not at all. Hopefully they see they alienate potential subscribers when they make something attempting to ape WoW's success.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Isturi

So with all the great classic MMO's that have gone F2P and with all the new MMO's that come out F2P for B2P WoW seems be the only one left that is still standing tall that is successful at be a P2P game. I can not think of any other title out now or that will be coming out that is offering P2P?? If you know of any please mention. But in all honesty have they stood the test of time like WoW?

With a player base well in the millions still and holding steady can any sub base game claim the same success?

Lineage have also stood the test of time fine, it still is huge in Korea and it is 4 years older than Wow. Eve is still P2P even if you can pay the sub with ingame money nowadays and Eve is also older than Wow.

Wow is really not holding steady unless you calling losing a million sub every 3 months as "steady". Maybe it lose them because P2P is going away, maybe it is because Wow is 8 years old but it is happening to Wow too.

Many P2P games have made a large amount of money, but Wow is indeed the game that have done best. But after all these years the game is now in decline, and MOP is not enough to turn that around.

It will be interesting to see if Titan will be P2P or not though.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    I think

Good point. TY

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    I think

Good point. TY

Because WoW has always been about doing the bare minimum. WoW has never innovated, never brought in new ideas. I'm pretty sure they use most of the money for other games, because they don't need to add much to WoW to keep it going, its all momentum and pop culture pressence now. It was never about the quality of the game.

And no, there are dozens of MMOs that have been successful as a sub based game. AC, EQ, DAoC, UO, SWG, to name a few huge ones. Then there's CoH, Darkfall, Eve, AO, EnB...

• xDayxxDayx Member Posts: 712

Yeah EQ had 17 expansions out before it went F2P.

And in my opinion had 2 good expansions come out before I started to lose respect for it. I lost my respect for wow after BC came out.

• dorugudorugu Member UncommonPosts: 184

wow stands on top i think mainly to the high lvls tht dun rly wanna let go of theyr characters and move on since theyve spent so much time on em. thats 1of th reasons i play n also due to it still runs on my old reserve comp true it runs w max 10 fps at best but its better thn nothing :)

another reason is also tht i feel kinda duty bound to the guilds im member of (im sure many nother feels th same way).n bsides wow is rly the entry lvl of mmos many ppl move on after abit to tougher games as well.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

So with all the great classic MMO's that have gone F2P and with all the new MMO's that come out F2P for B2P WoW seems be the only one left that is still standing tall that is successful at be a P2P game. I can not think of any other title out now or that will be coming out that is offering P2P?? If you know of any please mention. But in all honesty have they stood the test of time like WoW?

With a player base well in the millions still and holding steady can any sub base game claim the same success?

RIFT, FF14 and EQ2 are releasing expansions.

RIFT and FF14 are P2P (FF14 did have a LOT of issues but the game is looking really good, for the upcoming re-release).

RIFT will x3 the land mass with the update.

Their you go 2 for you (EQ 2 is in here becouse it is getting another expansion, this means that the game is succeeding).

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207

wow launched at a very good time, when the masses started getting internet connections.  That helped, as did blizzards reputation as a maker of quality games.  Ive never bought into the "copied the best bits from the prior generation of mmos" line, as if it did it would have ripped PVP from dAOC and crafting from UO for a start.  Wow is more Diablo as a MMO with a WOW skin (or it was at launch), the UI was very AC though.

Whats unusual is why EQ2 and COH didnt take off the same way too, as they came out around same time. Especially COH as it was a fun game, and the first MMO (jest before WOW) to provide gameplay for casual players.

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    A game having a playerbase of 50 could be considered successful. If it cost $250 a year to run a server and 20 out of those 50 people donate volintarily $20 annually. $20 * $20 = $400. $400 - $250 = $150 profit a year.   Enough to keep the game up which would be considered successful. So, pretty much anygame you hear about except some of the hobbyist ones would be considered successful.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by emperorwings
    A game having a playerbase of 50 could be considered successful. If it cost $250 a year to run a server and 20 out of those 50 people donate volintarily $20 annually. $20 * $20 = $400. $400 - $250 = $150 profit a year.   Enough to keep the game up which would be considered successful. So, pretty much anygame you hear about except some of the hobbyist ones would be considered successful.

True it is just a matter of POV then. With your POV even TOR is a success and this is OK to reason it this way.