Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW stands the test of time with it being the only successful sub base game.

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

So with all the great classic MMO's that have gone F2P and with all the new MMO's that come out F2P for B2P WoW seems be the only one left that is still standing tall that is successful at be a P2P game. I can not think of any other title out now or that will be coming out that is offering P2P?? If you know of any please mention. But in all honesty have they stood the test of time like WoW?

With a player base well in the millions still and holding steady can any sub base game claim the same success?

Comments

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    Only? since you've been playing MMO's or what? So many other games had subs and could be considered succesful. You don't have to have over 10 billion sold to have a succesful burger joint.

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627

no not really

Only ones that kinda did were UO, DAoC, and Runescape imo...they lasted long as sub base before switching.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,373
    See EVE, the other white meat.......

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110
    Rift is still P2P, it will be released in china, korea and six other asian countries, made huge profits and releasing their first expansion shortly.
  • IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Only? since you've been playing MMO's or what? So many other games had subs and could be considered succesful. You don't have to have over 10 billion sold to have a succesful burger joint.

Pls give examples of other successful mmo's todate that are still F2P? Im sorry I just cant think of any right now.

So we have EVE and Rift. OK good examples but compared to WoW how do they stand?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kyleran
    See EVE, the other white meat.......

this :)

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Isturi
    So we have EVE and Rift. OK good examples but compared to WoW how do they stand?

I've kinda mentally disqualified WoW from comparisons. It's in a class of it's own, and thus should be treated as such.

Everquest...

Originally posted by Enigmatus

I've kinda mentally disqualified WoW from comparisons. It's in a class of it's own, and thus should be treated as such.

Exactly so would by WoW standing in a class of its's own then set the standards or have set the standards for all to follow? Also would this make WoW the best MMO of all time?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321
    At one time AOL was pay by the minute online and it had 27 million users but where is it now? It sort of died when flat rate internet became available and internet "portals" faded away

I miss DAoC

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

a mmo only needs to stand next to itself for being successful

is it more successful than years earler ?

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    Everquest...

Recently went free to play and I agree def stood the test of time as well.

"The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

Exactly so would by WoW standing in a class of its's own then set the standards or have set the standards for all to follow? Also would this make WoW the best MMO of all time?

Wait, are you asking me if WoW set the standards for others to follow, or something else? Your post is weirdly worded.

Wait, are you asking me if WoW set the standards for others to follow, or something else? Your post is weirdly worded.

Sorry did not mean to be confusing. All I am asking is your thought of how you or others may feel about WoW being a sub based game and still on top. Or also as mention is it a class by it's own right?

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

Ford Focus has the record for most models sold, is it the best car of all time ?

http://autos.yahoo.com/blogs/motoramic/ford-focus-becomes-world-best-selling-car-350-134057072.html

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by slowpoke68

Empirically, it cannot be denied that WoW is the most successful MMO of all time.   That fact is beyond rational dispute.

I played it on and off for a couple of years from release and would rank it as one of the best in its hey day.

What I have always said for the last serveral years is, best pve mmo ever is EQ, best pvp mmo is DAoC, and best mmo to combine the two into one is WoW.

That was before it turned into what it is now.  Now I wouldn't play it if you paid me.

Also, WoW's long term affect on the genre is questionable.  Its kind of like golf.  At one time, it was a gentlemen's game played by a few who knew the rules, showed proper etiquette, and the courses weren't so crowded.  Now courses are packed with people who aren't necessarily gentleman and who couldn't define the word etiquette if their life depended on it.  The game is a lot more popular and mainstream...but is that a good thing?

I agree WoW is obviously the most succesful of all time, but that doesn't make it good. It's like fast food. It's cheap and easy, and does the job, but I'd rather cook a burger on my grill. I tried it, and played  a couple of days. It wasn't bad it was just too simplified for my taste. I was coming fresh off of SWG, and EQ1 as my last two MMO's and it just felt too much like Kindergarten.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Yes WOW stood test of the time and success that is impossible to repeat. Haters gonna hate though.
  • ShadoedShadoed Member UncommonPosts: 1,459

Depends how you want to coin the word success because as has already been pointed out EvE is also a very succesful sub game in it's own right, i even had two accounts there myself at one time until my interest in it waned, but you cannot deny that CCP have built a solid game that a lot of people are extremely dedicated to.

I also played the Westwood game Earth & Beyond all those years ago and even that was profitable with only a 30,000 player base (as much as EA attempted to prove otherwise) and had a fiercly loyal player base in it's time.

As much as we harp about the whole 'sub' thing it just doesn't suit everyone for various reasons, hence the rise in B2P and F2P games with optional shops instead which is in all reality the dominant market and has been for a long time, especially in the huge eastern markets and is sweepng the western markets like a wildfire. 

It must be Thursday, i never could get the hang of Thursdays.

Sorry did not mean to be confusing. All I am asking is your thought of how you or others may feel about WoW being a sub based game and still on top. Or also as mention is it a class by it's own right?

Well, it's definitely in a class of it's own in terms of sheer player numbers, for a P2P MMO. My thoughts on WoW still being on top? Well, it's kinda to be expected, considering that it:

1. Took the whole MMO genre by storm, a perfect storm I might add that will probably never happen in another century or so.
    2. MMOs released between WoW's initial release and up to recently (and it's still happening apparently) either being shoddier versions of World of Warcraft, or if it was unique, apparently "too niche" or too poorly designed/not updated enough to get enough attention. Might also be partially due to unrealistic expectations of trying to gain WoW like player numbers over something more realistic.
    3. Big time brand loyalty. I'd say more, but I can't think of anything right now.
    What do I feel? I don't really care anymore; the game lost it's luster after 2 years of playing, and thus it's no longer that important to me. I don't mind watching videos about it, just don't care about playing it anymore.
  • YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51

Final Fantasy XI is still sub based and going strong for 10 years, has a new full expansion on the way with no signs of the game getting anywhere near shut down. Square Enix recently said that FFXI has made more money than any of the other FF games too. FFXIV is also a sub based game that will likely do just as well and last just as long, just look at all the people that stuck with the game at its worst.

FFXI is proof that if you make a good MMO and stick with it, it won't have to go F2P.

You are wrong OP, and you should feel bad about it.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• Darklotus79Darklotus79 Member Posts: 61
    WoW is without a doubt the most successful sub based mmorpg on the market. Although its not the only one thats successful. It has been stated already EvE and Rift are both doing well as sub based games.  WoW has been around since 2004 with a strong marketing strategy.  Even today you still see advertisments on T.V and the internet everywhere.  When South Park tried to make fun of the game , it just boosted the popularity. At that time WoW was boasting 7 million players.  A year later after that episode BC came out , The playerbase jumped up to 11 million. The game will stay on top not because other games suck. It will stay on top because so many people have already invested tons of time and money into the game. If WoW shut its doors today. Rift would probably #1 and at least 80% of WoWs playerbase would go to Rift.
  • YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Darklotus79
    WoW is without a doubt the most successful sub based mmorpg on the market. Although its not the only one thats successful. It has been stated already EvE and Rift are both doing well as sub based games.  WoW has been around since 2004 with a strong marketing strategy.  Even today you still see advertisments on T.V and the internet everywhere.  When South Park tried to make fun of the game , it just boosted the popularity. At that time WoW was boasting 7 million players.  A year later after that episode BC came out , The playerbase jumped up to 11 million. The game will stay on top not because other games suck. It will stay on top because so many people have already invested tons of time and money into the game. If WoW shut its doors today. Rift would probably #1 and at least 80% of WoWs playerbase would go to Rift.

No, WoW has a certain cham to it that brings in people that don't play MMO's. If WoW was gone most people would dabble in other MMO's then quit. Rift is nowhere near a replacement for WoW because it's a souless, copy of good ideas from other games but implemented in terrible ways. It feels like a bad knock off of a bunch of other games really.

Rift is fun to look at, but when most people play it they don't like it. Which is the reason so many people say how great it is but it has so few subs.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614
    at least 80% of WoWs playerbase would go to Rift.

They'd better be going back to school or they will never graduate.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

If WoW shut its doors today. Rift would probably #1 and at least 80% of WoWs playerbase would go to Rift.

Actually they would probably just leave the genre all together.