Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daniel Erickson is.....

2»

Comments

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460
    Originally posted by mikahr
    Originally posted by Rydeson

Those two things aren't related..  I'm not defending TOR, but it is common in the MMO industry to lay off many of the staff after a game launches and development size is no longer needed..  Even if TOR didn't lose most of their subscribers as quick as they did, those layoffs were going to happen, fail or success..  I'm just saying It's nice to see that sh**t rolls up hill...  MMO staffing is alot like pre-season football.. You have 3+ years to impress the boss, because after launch, many will get cut from the team and they know it..  It's just the nature of the beast..

Except BW intended to KEEP all those people and James Ohlen repeated it in almost every interview through launch time.

There are now 3 waves BECAUSE SWTOR failed and they are cutting down expenses, but it still loses money so they opted for freemiun conversion, and next step will be maintenance mode.

I'm not looking the quote up to provide proof but yes, BioEA stated they had full intention on keeping ALL the staff so they can keep the content coming. The old excuse that every game downsizes staff after launch thing does not apply here when BioEA made a loud point to say it will not happen to them. But it did didn't it?

They couldn't even live up to their content promise before the layoffs, and as a result the game tanked and layoffs were inevitable.

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by lotaparty

Those two things aren't related..  I'm not defending TOR, but it is common in the MMO industry to lay off many of the staff after a game launches and development size is no longer needed..  Even if TOR didn't lose most of their subscribers as quick as they did, those layoffs were going to happen, fail or success..  I'm just saying It's nice to see that sh**t rolls up hill...  MMO staffing is alot like pre-season football.. You have 3+ years to impress the boss, because after launch, many will get cut from the team and they know it..  It's just the nature of the beast..

Except BW intended to KEEP all those people and James Ohlen repeated it in almost every interview through launch time.

There are now 3 waves BECAUSE SWTOR failed and they are cutting down expenses, but it still loses money so they opted for freemiun conversion, and next step will be maintenance mode.

these layoffs are making me thing that we might not see f2p and this game might shutdown on or before december

That would indeed be a gigantic disaster but I doubt that EA could afford to take the hit in terms of what the publicity would do to its already catastrophic share price. My own opinion is that the game will putter along with an ever decreasing staff until it's just twelve players, one server, a janitor and his cat.

• Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    Originally posted by lotaparty

these layoffs are making me thing that we might not see f2p and this game might shutdown on or before december

I'm just not seeing that here tho altho the subscription bleed continues.  I cked the server status last night, 8:30pm central " US prime time", of TOR and there was only 3 "heavy" servers and the rest were now standard.

I can't see EA walking away from this investment without trying everything they possibly can to re-coup even a bit of it.  1st, will be F2P with cash shop, next will be P2W, but however, if that doesn't work for them, I have no doubt that EA will cut their losses and not think twice about it.  I doubt here that TOR will ever be put on maintenance mode for years like SWG after the repercussions of CU, NGE, and C6CD.  Nor do I believe that any closure date will hinge solely on any blue-sky contract with LA.  If and when a decision like that is made, I would think that EA will hand it over to their legal dept. and nego a final settlement package with LA and be done with it.

I believe we can safely say that EA is not looking to rebuild the game into something that will sell to the populus.  By their actions, they seem to be more into "get whatever we can out of it the way it is without putting any more money into it" while minimizing costs in the process.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Not really surprising considering he and the other guy were the ones who directly were quoted as giving the idea that SWTOR's gameplay and features were not only different but the most epic experience anyone's had in mmo's prelaunch.

Time to clean house because the real talent left long ago. Multiple talented artists writers musicians all left the dev team shortly after launch. if that wasn't a sign i dunno what is.

Just like at Blizzard when they lost their main team and Ghostcrawler took over tho blizz never did anything with GC.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Esquire1980
     I doubt here that TOR will ever be put on maintenance mode for years like SWG after the repercussions of CU, NGE, and C6CD. 

SWG was never in maintenance mode. What I call maintenance mode is like Vanguard, servers running, not being shut down and no updates happening. There was updates being done to it virtually every other week, and major updates done evry month or two. After the breach in May 2011, they put in the Bounty Hunter Space update, and was working on GCW 2 Space update which got put in just after the closure announcement. Chronicles 2 was in the works to, but got cancelled. None of this would have happened if it was in maintenance mode.

SWG had more updates done to it in 2011 than SWTOR has done since it launched!

Originally posted by superniceguy
     I doubt here that TOR will ever be put on maintenance mode for years like SWG after the repercussions of CU, NGE, and C6CD. 

SWG was never in maintenance mode. What I call maintenance mode is like Vanguard, servers running, not being shut down and no updates happening. There was updates being done to it virtually every other week, and major updates done evry month or two. After the breach in May 2011, they put in the Bounty Hunter Space update, and was working on GCW 2 Space update which got put in just after the closure announcement. Chronicles 2 was in the works to, but got cancelled. None of this would have happened if it was in maintenance mode.

Sorry, but /disagree.  SWG was a great game I personaly miss, 1 that the wife and I played everyday for 7 years and still mention in passing at least once per/week.  But after the failure that was C6CD maintenance mode came.  Devs were stripped 1 by 1 until we were left with just 2, T2 and Hjal.  (not all of that was bad as it finaly got rid of Blixtev)  While the downgrade was even happening, devs such as AdeptStrain coded some of the best features that players touted ALL on their off, unpaid, personal time.

Those 2 were the ones that made it feel it was not maintenance mode.  I seen T2 and Hjal both working, loged on to the forums many times, and talking, at 11:00pm central time (their time as well).  These devs were the cream of the crop and determined to keep the game going, listening to their playerbase, and developing accordingly.  But they were only 2 and they said that as well.  Most of the new content was re-vamps, such as Night Sisters, as they got the most bang for the buck re-doing something existing and reusing development rather than starting from scratch with new.

Your feeling of not maintenance mode came in spite of maintenance mode and SOE San Diego and due to just the commitment of the remaining devs.

What did any1 really expect with TOR?  This was the NGE devs (Dallas Dickerson et al) and we already knew their MO.  All you had to do was remember NGE and the aftermath there.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980

Sorry, but /disagree.  SWG was a great game I personaly miss, 1 that the wife and I played everyday for 7 years and still mention in passing at least once per/week.  But after the failure that was C6CD maintenance mode came.  Devs were stripped 1 by 1 until we were left with just 2, T2 and Hjal.  (not all of that was bad as it finaly got rid of Blixtev)  While the downgrade was even happening, devs such as AdeptStrain coded some of the best features that players touted ALL on their off, unpaid, personal time.

Those 2 were the ones that made it feel it was not maintenance mode.  I seen T2 and Hjal both working, loged on to the forums many times, and talking, at 11:00pm central time (their time as well).  These devs were the cream of the crop and determined to keep the game going, listening to their playerbase, and developing accordingly.  But they were only 2 and they said that as well.  Most of the new content was re-vamps, such as Night Sisters, as they got the most bang for the buck re-doing something existing and reusing development rather than starting from scratch with new.

Your feeling of not maintenance mode came in spite of maintenance mode and SOE San Diego and due to just the commitment of the remaining devs.

What did any1 really expect with TOR?  This was the NGE devs (Dallas Dickerson et al) and we already knew their MO.  All you had to do was remember NGE and the aftermath there.

Well glad to see there are other people seeing what TOR really is: the much desired LA NGE. 

Thing is they forgot a few thing in the equation

• If you sell it with a monthly fee it has to be a MMO
    • V.O. content, unless you deliver it faster when what the players burn through it you loose.
    • The game lacked many standard MMO features @ launch
    • They never listened to the player feedback
    • And the last and biggest issue was a really bad communication management.
    Originally posted by Deewe

Well glad to see there are other people seeing what TOR really is: the much desired LA NGE. 

Thing is they forgot a few thing in the equation

• If you sell it with a monthly fee it has to be a MMO
    • V.O. content, unless you deliver it faster when what the players burn through it you loose.
    • The game lacked many standard MMO features @ launch
    • They never listened to the player feedback
    • And the last and biggest issue was a really bad communication management.

Oh, I seen that after about 10 minutes in beta for TOR, no matter who wanted the NGE, these guys made TOR the "ultimate NGE".  That's what they knew, what the thought worked, and they were SOE trained and approved.

And the best part of this is, they can't blaim it all on "marketing" this time as Rubenfield did with the NGE.  EA marketing did a bang-up job.  This time they have nothing to blaim except the development itself.  "It was the CHANGES, Mr Rubenfield".

All you point out, except for the VO, was all there with the NGE as well.  It's just what these guys do.

Smed must be laughing his tail off right now.  I'm sure he's aware that after all with TOR is said and done, no1 will even remember the NGE, much less talk about it anymore.  He's almost off the hook.

A MMO having updates  = NO maintenance mode. Even if 1 dev was working on updates, it is still not miantenance mode.

Maintenance mode is no updates what so ever, and just them turning on double XP weekends or seasonal events etc. T2 and Hjal made maintenance mode void.

It made cut backs but was never in maintenance mode. "cut backs" is the more accurate term

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Just amazing he can site metacritic professional reviewer score to support his "vision" amongst other things. Just amazing. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"

Oh, I seen that after about 10 minutes in beta for TOR, no matter who wanted the NGE, these guys made TOR the "ultimate NGE".  That's what they knew, what the thought worked, and they were SOE trained and approved.

And the best part of this is, they can't blaim it all on "marketing" this time as Rubenfield did with the NGE.  EA marketing did a bang-up job.  This time they have nothing to blaim except the development itself.  "It was the CHANGES, Mr Rubenfield".

All you point out, except for the VO, was all there with the NGE as well.  It's just what these guys do.

Smed must be laughing his tail off right now.  I'm sure he's aware that after all with TOR is said and done, no1 will even remember the NGE, much less talk about it anymore.  He's almost off the hook.

I believe Smed will never be allowed a reprieve. If anything TOR adds to the "I told you so". It will not at all surprise me when Smed is gone and buried that some NGE fanatic ingraves LOL on his tumbstone.

People have gotten so use to the hate. It's been how many years since NGE and nobody has cut any slack yet. That's a case study on it's own and I must admit I'm in that crowd too.

• arctarusarctarus Member UncommonPosts: 2,581
    Personally I not think EA will shut down this game if f2p also fail to deliver the profit they hope for. As this will really cement their bad reputation.

they will leave it in maintenance mode for as long as possible till they are able to find another mmo that can deliver, or they just blame star wars not a good idea afterall for mmo .... :D

RIP Orc Choppa

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079

lol this game will not get shut down unless if in several years from now it has almost no income coming.

I like this guy, he seems really cool and had a passion for the game. Regardless of how SW:TOR performed post-launch, someones going to pick him up for his experience. But as of right now he's still working at BioWare, on SW:TOR.

Originally posted by Bardus

I believe Smed will never be allowed a reprieve. If anything TOR adds to the "I told you so". It will not at all surprise me when Smed is gone and buried that some NGE fanatic ingraves LOL on his tumbstone.

People have gotten so use to the hate. It's been how many years since NGE and nobody has cut any slack yet. That's a case study on it's own and I must admit I'm in that crowd too.

Smed is off the hook for the NGE, as that was down to LA. Julio Torres (of LA) was the one who was headlining the NGE and talking in delight how it was going to be absolutely great and awesome, I can not find any thing from Smedley talking about it with the same delight

But he is back on the hook with this ProSieben deal.

He knows the best thing to do is allow existing customers the choice for SOE or go to ProSieben, but he can not do it, because he is gutless to approach Sony or PSS1 bosses with that request.. It is the same reason how he allowed the NGE to happen, he was too gutless to stand up to LA and say the NGE was a bad move.

SOE / Smedley does listen to the players, only when they are in full control, and do not have to do any negotiating with people who pull the strings. He did save EQmac and made it completely free,  and does their best not to shut down MMOs.

• anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    Good news, but too late.  He was one of the main culprits running this thing into the ground.

How so? AFAIK he was the head/lead/something of lore & story behind SWTor. I have only played the Bountyhunter (complete) & got a peek into the Jedi but IMO he did a very good job with the story part.

Originally posted by anothername
    Good news, but too late.  He was one of the main culprits running this thing into the ground.

How so? AFAIK he was the head/lead/something of lore & story behind SWTor. I have only played the Bountyhunter (complete) & got a peek into the Jedi but IMO he did a very good job with the story part.

So he is why the story is so dry? It really is and I hope it's not just my opinion that thinks so. In both original KOTOR the characters had, well character. They would get mad, happy, worried, insulted and pissed enough to tell you why and make you like it. In TOR none of that happens. Taking different companions along changed the story sometimes in KOTOR's but in TOR all it does is effect a minus or plus affection which changes nothing that matters. Most of the companions in TOR join you way too late to allow us to connect and try building affection unless doing the same damn daily missions day after day after level cap counts.

It's just about pointless having 5 companions. Why 5, Why not just 2 or 3 to cover holy trinity (DPS, tank, healer)? How much of that $100s of millions went into so many pointless companions? Was Erickson responsible for that? Talk about a galactic class extortionist.

How much influence did he play in making TOR all about dry unimpacting story not worthy of kissing the feet of the original KOTOR's and non about an MMO experience?

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    hey heres an idea, maybe they all can share the same bed with Smedley from $OE since they are all perfected the art of screwing up Star Wars games.  LMFAO.  Oh and Bardus love the sig, cant wait till the Repopulation comes out then the reincarnation of SWG will begin.
  • anothernameanothername Member UncommonPosts: 200
    Originally posted by Bardus
    Originally posted by anothername

So he is why the story is so dry? It really is and I hope it's not just my opinion that thinks so. In both original KOTOR the characters had, well character. They would get mad, happy, worried, insulted and pissed enough to tell you why and make you like it. In TOR none of that happens. Taking different companions along changed the story sometimes in KOTOR's but in TOR all it does is effect a minus or plus affection which changes nothing that matters. Most of the companions in TOR join you way too late to allow us to connect and try building affection unless doing the same damn daily missions day after day after level cap counts.

It's just about pointless having 5 companions. Why 5, Why not just 2 or 3 to cover holy trinity (DPS, tank, healer)? How much of that $100s of millions went into so many pointless companions? Was Erickson responsible for that? Talk about a galactic class extortionist.

How much influence did he play in making TOR all about dry unimpacting story not worthy of kissing the feet of the original KOTOR's and non about an MMO experience?

All I can tell ist that the BH story felt great & fitting (at least for the macho style char I choose). The companions, yeah, well... grind Influence rising gifts! Its a mmo damn it :D [Edit: There are companions I like and some I don't like or are unsure off. Thats not that much different like it was in Kotor 1&2; but I agree about the interaction with and between them and also the consequences which, AFAIK, has been patched out after too many ppl complained in Beta that they might miss out on a companion]

The Jedi so far is ok. But I'm just at the starting 20ths with lots of boosts from the legarcy XP bonus system.

[Edit: Lots of spelling. Sorry, I try not to post again when completly drunk]