Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

are you a tired but loyal cash cows?

thefounderthefounder Member Posts: 19

just a bad game.. let it die. so many fantastic alternatives to EQ2, its hard to understand why the existing subscribers allow SOE to milk them for cash so they can develop Planetside2. i played for a year so i guess i'm no better than them... i dont even know why i played.. just some vague wish to recapture that special EQ feeling i had in 1999 but it never delivered. great community though and i wish SOE would treat them better. the cramming of expansions is just characteristic, SOE, its pathetic and this company will never, ever get another cent of mine.

a friend recently quit EQ2 after 2 years... he put it perfectly "EQ2 is the fat ugly girlfriend you dont care for or respect, but its still hard to break up her. and once i did, it felt sooo right."

Comments

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by thefounder

just a bad game.. let it die. so many fantastic alternatives to EQ2, its hard to understand why the existing subscribers allow SOE to milk them for cash so they can develop Planetside2. i played for a year so i guess i'm no better than them... i dont even know why i played.. just some vague wish to recapture that special EQ feeling i had in 1999 but it never delivered. great community though and i wish SOE would treat them better. the cramming of expansions is just characteristic, SOE, its pathetic and this company will never, ever get another cent of mine.

a friend recently quit EQ2 after 2 years... he put it perfectly "EQ2 is the fat ugly girlfriend you dont care for or respect, but its still hard to break up her. and once i did, it felt sooo right."

Hmmmm- I KIND of agree but kinda do not. =/

Personally EQ2 was (for me) the best "Theme park" I have ever played in overall content. The Raids could be extreme, exploration was good, crafting well fleshed out and Housing was alot of fun- 

In fact, I often think about going back since I miss the game and the community. Then I remember the clusterfuck that is SOE and how I cannot bear to give them another cent. I played EQ2 YEARS ago (waaaaay before "f2P") and they were horrible back then. I imagine its worse since F2p.

I STILL keep tabs with people I have met on EQ2 Flames and regularly read the RAR thread . Its hilarious but sadly has been lacking of late.

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

just a bad game.. let it die. so many fantastic alternatives to EQ2, its hard to understand why the existing subscribers allow SOE to milk them for cash so they can develop Planetside2. i played for a year so i guess i'm no better than them... i dont even know why i played.. just some vague wish to recapture that special EQ feeling i had in 1999 but it never delivered. great community though and i wish SOE would treat them better. the cramming of expansions is just characteristic, SOE, its pathetic and this company will never, ever get another cent of mine. a friend recently quit EQ2 after 2 years... he put it perfectly "EQ2 is the fat ugly girlfriend you dont care for or respect, but its still hard to break up her. and once i did, it felt sooo right."    

EQ2 may be fat, ugly and dull - but she's smart, can cook, keeps a clean house and can suck start a Gnomish Hoverpad.

WOW is the gloriously hot Prom Queen that got knocked up at 17, now she weighs 347lb, doesn't have time to shave her legs and her idea of cooking is microwaving three-day old McNuggets.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

just a bad game.. let it die. so many fantastic alternatives to EQ2, its hard to understand why the existing subscribers allow SOE to milk them for cash so they can develop Planetside2

why wish the death for any mmo?

every mmo has its fans

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Yeah EQ2 is definately not the best MMO there is but it beats a lot of the crap that has been coming out. I just recently went back to it and since Ive been gone about 6 or 7 yrs its like a new game to me. It has its faults without doubt and the F2P model is BS (its SOE) but its got some fun parts too. So right now I am having fun with it and even went Gold. In a month or three whenever when it is not fun or something else comes out that I want to play I will quit or maybe do the F2P by then I should be max lvl with gear and will buy me gear unlocks to equip it.
  • SunscourSunscour Member UncommonPosts: 186

I am a full of energy and ready to play cash cow....

I subscribe to multiple MMO's and I enjoy each and everyone.

No fun = No money

Life is Short, Read a Book.

• truthhurtstruthhurts Member Posts: 74
    EQ2 does many things better than any other MMORPG on the market (housing, things to do if you are a crafter, dungeon variety while leveling, multi part heroic quests, race selection) and can rival the top in several others (lore, fluff, class selection, raiding, community)
  • Free2012Free2012 Member Posts: 28

so many fantastic alternatives to EQ2,

No, there really isn't. If you're looking for a single player online RPG,  there's plenty of them out at the moment. Other than WoW there's no acceptable true MMO out at the moment and the only reason I put WoW in the conversation is because of it's actual hard endgame content(raids).

MMORPG's are a dying breed, WoW brought online gaming into the mainstream the money followed and ALL the gaming companies have followed suit with making everything easier( read: not better) to appease the masses. I don't blame them since money obviously makes the world go round but it hasn't made gaming 'better'.

EQ2 is an enjoyable old school MMORPG that actually requires player interaction, it doesn't have the population of it's competitors but it is a very solid game even to this day. Yes, the combat sucks(imo)...

• ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172
    Originally posted by Free2012

so many fantastic alternatives to EQ2,

No, there really isn't. If you're looking for a single player online RPG,  there's plenty of them out at the moment. Other than WoW there's no acceptable true MMO out at the moment and the only reason I put WoW in the conversation is because of it's actual hard endgame content(raids).

MMORPG's are a dying breed, WoW brought online gaming into the mainstream the money followed and ALL the gaming companies have followed suit with making everything easier( read: not better) to appease the masses. I don't blame them since money obviously makes the world go round but it hasn't made gaming 'better'.

EQ2 is an enjoyable old school MMORPG that actually requires player interaction, it doesn't have the population of it's competitors but it is a very solid game even to this day. Yes, the combat sucks(imo)..

EQ2 requires interaction? seems like most of the players are soloers doing dailies. i played for the past year and it had less "interaction" than Warcraft or GW2 or DCUO or about 10 other MMOs i can think of.  i actually tried the FTP because it was advertised by seveal people as "solo friendly". i joined a veterna guild that basically told me it was more efficient to solo to max level and then duo grind lesser dungeons for AA's. lol you're still thinking EQ2 is the successor of EQ1... in name only maybe. EQ2 is far closer to Warcraft in design than it is to EQ1. people come together rarely for dungeons and raids which both have maybe the worst combat mechanics i've ever played.. even by 2004 standards. i seriously think most people play for the mildly amusing player housing and crafting minigame.

the combat is horrendous, the economy is completely borked. the performance of the game engine will cripple even modern computers trying to run it on medium/high settings. and SOE is cramming half baked expansions down the playerbase.. so sad. because its one of the best communities ive witnessed. and sadly ya.. the poor, loyal suckers are getting milked

• KeyloggerKeylogger Member Posts: 250

EQ2 is one of the few "real" games out there. (I fucking hate themeparks. WoW, Rift, Tera, etc I'm looking at you.)

$0E are total douchebags, but EQ2 has a huge world filled with unholy shittons of content, dungeons and things to do.

It took me five years mucking around to hit 80 + 200 AA + Full fabled gear.

I spent two months+ doing nothing but collections, and have barely half (Several hours per day).

No other game out there could provide that much amusement/content with one simple feature.

One major "game" (Not parent company or engine related) issue was dungeon finder, and the low population/lack of real players to group with over the massive amount of content.

You need a real good group to get through some of the dungeons, that you MIGHT be able to pull together at 80 once a month on even Freeport. (Short version: It's top heavy and lightly populated overall.)

The engine is laughibly bad though and pretty much ruins every other positive aspect.