Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fanboism of Guild Wars 2

Comments

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by thunderC
    GW2=Best mmo released in the past 10 years. I almost feel like I am screwing A-net over by not paying a sub fee for this game.  So much much detail in the world it blows my mind, Absolutley having a blast playing this game.

You paid 60 bucks and got a decent console game in return.........Meh, whatever.

EDIT:

I mean if any console game is worth 60 bucks why would you feel GW2 is worth more?

• chrisatronchrisatron Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by Halandir

Hmm OP... Bet you wake up tomorrow and think: Crap - Posting while under the influence and all that...

Dont worry though - 24 hour ban at most and GW2 is still an amazing game that many of us dropped our subscription in another game for...

Thank you. 

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Quirhid

The biggest concentration of fanboys and trolls on these forums still belong to the combined mass of old-school MMOs.

You just love tippytoeing around Blasphemy, don't you?

Unfortunately, we know by know that 'fanboy' and 'hater' and 'troll' are all semantically equivalent terms.  All the same guy; just sometimes wearing a different company's t-shirt.

So yeah, pretty much every writer on this forum.  And every import too (the bevy of cruise-through trolling alts).

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• pmilespmiles Member Posts: 383

Why should you even care?  If you don't play the game, why do you even care? 

But you see... you do care... you feel like some inadequate child that got a smaller piece of cake at the party and are having a tantrum because someone else's cake is bigger.  

You want to stop all these threads?  Stop making flamebait threads to incite them.  But alas, that is your true goal, to remind everyone that your game is so much better and the fact that someone else is having fun in another game is a crime against humanity.

Grow up. 

• dontadowdontadow Member UncommonPosts: 1,005

So you are cool to critisize but others aren't?  

I get why you got lambasted and fanboism has nothing to di with.  Comparing a forest area in a game to another game is kinda silly. Forests have trees, swamps etc. So yeah they are going to look the same.  Heck, screw perfect world, we can talk ultima 4 and 5 or final fantasy 2.  Forests and swamps are forests and swamps.  

The annoying part is making threads for the siliiest of reasons.  Forests look the same.   Okay, did you want blue trees and pink grass? 

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Originally posted by itgrowls

Snip!

Exactly. That's what's really happening, the game is that good it's sad that some feel the need to be part of what they percieve as the in crowd by being descenters and just can't let go of their old notions.

Originally posted by Slampig
    Wow, an entire thread filled with posters making the OPs argument for him. Imagine that.

Exhibit A, OH! the irony.

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    OP didn't even say GW2 sucks he is just sharing his experince and he is getting flamed again. This pack mentality on forums is just wow.
  • dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by chrisatron

I don't think I can take It anymore, the total and complete obsession with Guild Wars 2 being the best thing to happen since gravity was explained. I, like many other people won't just fall into a game without looking at all It's points; both good and bad. However It Is absolutely impossible to talk to any of these hundreds of fanboys without them completely freaking out at you.

I understand some people really like this game but It's like they are all blind or In denial and It's gotten to the point where I daren't critisize GW2 in fear of hundreds of condescending, hateful and ridiculous comments. I know this isn't the same for other games, people seemed more open to critisize and compare. However I do know there's some sort of patriotic duty to defend your current game. But this has to be the biggest concentration of fanboism I've ever encountered. 

It's funny, I commented on how the Sylvari zone was artistically similar to perfect worlds elf area and mentioned I was slightly dissapointed In the lack of originality. What followed was about 45 minutes of pure hate and blind defending... 

Gah, I don 't usually post but I just had to get this of my chest. Anyone else have any experiences on this topic? I'd love to hear them. 

1. Game is THAT good. Trust me, I played most MMO worth playing past few years and it's fist one I truly love. Well maybe except EVE.

2. If you don't like something, that's just your opinion and others can have different point of view.

3. You don't like something =/= bad. Just like that. Same when you like something =/= good all the time.

3. When you are trying to bash something, people will defend it. Especially if you bash something they like.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Calerxes

Snip!

Exactly. That's what's really happening, the game is that good it's sad that some feel the need to be part of what they percieve as the in crowd by being descenters and just can't let go of their old notions.

Wow, an entire thread filled with posters making the OPs argument for him. Imagine that.

The only way the OP's opinion will be validated is if his original post has been "reported" already. Oh wait...it has. Who would have guessed!

Gee,  guess trying to have a discussion, either positive or negative, is worthy of being reported now. Way to go. Discussion suppressed. Next up: Book burning!!

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by Psychow

Snip!

The only way the OP's opinion will be validated is if his original post has been "reported" already. Oh wait...it has. Who would have guessed!

Gee,  guess trying to have a discussion, either positive or negative, is worthy of being reported now. Way to go. Discussion suppressed. Next up: Book burning!!

I get most of my warnings a day or two later anymore. I'm pretty sure people just go through my post history looking for things to report because they don't like some of my opinions. Also, I hope it really bites their collective ass I still post here.

Snip!

How much you want to bet it was reported by the first guy in your quote? i haven't seen more rabid GW2 fanatic on these forums.

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030

I don't see any more but certainly no less fanboism for GW2 thna I've sene on these boards for any newly released game.The perception of their being more or less  is mostly to do with the bias of the reader.

These forums inparticular are a haven for extreme and unbending views on every MMO in existence.

If you aren't enjotying reading something...don't read it.

• winterwinter Member UncommonPosts: 2,281
    Originally posted by Ausare
    It is kind of like being a wow player. You just ignore the wow haters like you have to ignore the gw2 fanbois. Most are beyond the realm of sanity in their love/hate.

This ^^

Because heaven knows the GW2 fans can''t stand anything less then glowing praise of GW2.

Have a negative on any point or detail, small or large and you'll be told "Good luck in your next game, now shut up and stop posting because we love GW2 and we don't want to hear it." (the GW2 fan will then cover ears while say NahnANAhnAh, and close eyes. ie hear no evil, see no evil, speak no evil.)

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Drakynn

I don't see any more but certainly no less fanboism for GW2 thna I've sene on these boards for any newly released game.The perception of their being more or less  is mostly to do with the bias of the reader.

These forums inparticular are a haven for extreme and unbending views on every MMO in existence.

I don't know. It's pretty bad and for me, thus far my ONLY real criticism of my GW2 experiece.

Isn't that weird? I dont' have a real criticicm of the actual game, but some of the people surrounding it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and detracts from my enjoyment. 

I haven't seen this type of frenzy ever. On any product, let alone a MMO. (Wait, maybe a sports team has the same crazy fanatical fans)

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

You know what's the funniest thing about these posts. As soon as the date for GW2 launch became clear, suddenly ALL MEMORY of EVERY fanboi post for SWTOR, TSW, TERA etc etc all disappeared. It's like people think that the fanboism of GW2 outclasses every single one of those. 

How quickly people forget.

Notably SWTOR, they even had people who were supposed to act professionally being biased about SWTOR simply because of the SW part.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Snip!

Yep.

Look! Someone who holds a contrary opinion to ours. They must DIE!

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641

Snip!

I've always seen it more like this..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UTdDN_MRe64

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Reading these forums is like reading a book but not being able to turn the page........ ever.
  • PurgatusPurgatus Member Posts: 342

Interestingly enough, the ratio of threads bashing GW2 and its community compared to the frothing fanboi threads are about 7 to 1  (60% of this value was made up on the spot)

I'm pretty sick of it myself, but, to each thier own...

You know what's the funniest thing about these posts. As soon as the date for GW2 launch became clear, suddenly ALL MEMORY of EVERY fanboi post for SWTOR, TSW, TERA etc etc all disappeared. It's like people think that the fanboism of GW2 outclasses every single one of those. 

Notably SWTOR, they even had people who were supposed to act professionally being biased about SWTOR simply because of the SW part.

In my humble opinion, whenever i read your posts  i truly believe that fanboism of GW2 has outclassed every other MMO in past.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Must respectfully disagree with you on this. I think the reason so many people are so passionate about discussing preceived flaws with this game is EXACTLY due to remembering how fan hysteria (and developer arrogance in some cases) turned a blind eye to the flaws, and spawned incredible false hopes, in ALL those earlier games. Which in the end had a terrible impact on those games.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Drakynn

I don't know. It's pretty bad and for me, thus far my ONLY real criticism of my GW2 experiece.

Isn't that weird? I dont' have a real criticicm of the actual game, but some of the people surrounding it leaves a bad taste in my mouth and detracts from my enjoyment. 

I haven't seen this type of frenzy ever. On any product, let alone a MMO. (Wait, maybe a sports team has the same crazy fanatical fans)

Well you and the OP are welcome to your opinion of course but my perception is a little different.

I will qualify my original post by saying whislt there aren't anymore fanbois for GW2 than other games ont hese forums....they are more easily baited and thin skinned.Because of this there are more people willing to troll these easy targets and bring them out.Which to be totally honest amuses me and they kind of deserve.

Originally posted by Tardcore

Must respectfully disagree with you on this. I think the reason so many people are so passionate about discussing preceived flaws with this game is EXACTLY due to remembering how fan hysteria (and developer arrogance in some cases) turned a blind eye to the flaws, and spawned incredible false hopes, in ALL those earlier games. Which in the end had a terrible impact on those games.

You just proved my point. I do hope you see that. It was also my point that GW2's fanboism isn't anywhere near as epic as SWTOR's and that's what people with these threads are implying that GW2's exceeds SWTOR's somehow. False claims are false claims.

Originally posted by halflife25

In my humble opinion, whenever i read your posts  i truly believe that fanboism of GW2 has outclassed every other MMO in past.

you have a very short memory.

• CavodCavod Member Posts: 295
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Reading these forums is like reading a book but not being able to turn the page........ ever.

Spot on good sir.

Example:

I don't think I can take It anymore, the total and complete obsession with MMO being the best thing to happen since gravity was explained. I, like many other people won't just fall into a game without looking at all It's points; both good and bad. However It Is absolutely impossible to talk to any of these hundreds of fanboys without them completely freaking out at you.

I understand some people really like this game but It's like they are all blind or In denial and It's gotten to the point where I daren't critisize MMO in fear of hundreds of condescending, hateful and ridiculous comments. I know this isn't the same for other games, people seemed more open to critisize and compare. However I do know there's some sort of patriotic duty to defend your current game. But this has to be the biggest concentration of fanboism I've ever encountered. 

It's funny, I commented on how the RACE zone was artistically similar to MMO RACE area and mentioned I was slightly dissapointed In the lack of originality. What followed was about 45 minutes of pure hate and blind defending... 

Gah, I don 't usually post but I just had to get this of my chest. Anyone else have any experiences on this topic? I'd love to hear them.

Oh Em Gee, I've read this post before!  Yeah, it was that one person ripping into TERA, wait no it was SWTOR... doh! wrong again because I'm pretty sure it was Rift, wait no I mean STO.  Geh, I'm getting sick of being wrong. 

Oh yeah, the original I read was clearly talking about WoW.  Duh... how stupid of me.  Of course! it was WoW... being the first MMO ever made and all.  ... but wait, where did that post say WoW was inferior to? BAH! F if I know anyome.

We really need separate forums for every newly launched game. There can be the anti-<MMO> one and there can be the 'what general discussion should be' one. All the lamenting can happen together where each can find solace in like minded can't-move-on-ers leaving the rest of us to actually move forward and discuss meaningful and relevant topics.

This discussion has been closed.