Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fanboism of Guild Wars 2

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

This game has been over-hyped for years now.  It's going to take a while for that stuff to die down.

Believe me, it will though.  All that pre-hype will turn into bitter hate. 

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230

Nah.

The biggest concentration of fanboys and trolls on these forums still belong to the combined mass of old-school MMOs.

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Well, Anet is sorta marketing this game to haters so what did you expect? People that hate looking for a tank or healer. People that hate world pvp. People that hate raid progression, hate tiered gear, hate travel times, hate sub fees, hate quest hubs. Now they have a haven in GW2 and it is overwhelming. Yeah its annoying when you get threads where they try to "save you too".

Theres probably a lot of folks that are loving this game and cant be bothered to watchdog these forums and defend its honor. But the ones that come here looking for criticism are just as bad as the ones who come here looking for praise. Both for the sole purpose of countering each other.

Honestly, if it gets to the point where you cant take it anymore, just walk away for a bit. Nobody wins an argument around here anyway. Hell this post will get blown up or thrown back in my face too. Its just the way it goes.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by chrisatron

I don't think I can take It anymore, the total and complete obsession with Guild Wars 2 being the best thing to happen since gravity was explained. I, like many other people won't just fall into a game without looking at all It's points; both good and bad. However It Is absolutely impossible to talk to any of these hundreds of fanboys without them completely freaking out at you.

I understand some people really like this game but It's like they are all blind or In denial and It's gotten to the point where I daren't critisize GW2 in fear of hundreds of condescending, hateful and ridiculous comments. I know this isn't the same for other games, people seemed more open to critisize and compare. However I do know there's some sort of patriotic duty to defend your current game. But this has to be the biggest concentration of fanboism I've ever encountered. 

It's funny, I commented on how the Sylvari zone was artistically similar to perfect worlds elf area and mentioned I was slightly dissapointed In the lack of originality. What followed was about 45 minutes of pure hate and blind defending... 

Gah, I don 't usually post but I just had to get this of my chest. Anyone else have any experiences on this topic? I'd love to hear them. 

In before White Lantern.

Sorry mate, but you're playing it wrong.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

May: Man the TERA community is awful they have so many fanboys no one ever defends the game as violently as they do.

June: Man the Secret World community is awful they have so many fanboys no one ever defends the game as violently as they do.

August: Man the Guild Wars community is awful they have so many fanboys no one ever defends the game as violently as they do.

September: Man the World of Warcraft community is awful they have so many fanboys no one ever defends the game as violently as they do.

"I know this isn't the same for other games, people seemed more open to critisize and compare. "

Every game has its rabid fans, and every game has people like the OP who claim that no one has ever defended the game as much as the community they are currently trying to bait into an argument.

• Mari2kMari2k Member UncommonPosts: 367

People need to accept that gw2 is just mediocre, not more.

It has it good point, like solo play. And bad like pvp. And in the end its one of many themepark games, with the difference that its  without monthly payment.

So if you want some themepark entertainment for cheep, its a good choice.

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

For the most part I shurg them off. They wont let the game grow though. That's sad.

I'm seeing people who like the game say stuff like "I like the game. I think they should look at adding  X  because of  Y." gettiing flamed just as the people who say GW2 sucks would. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • strangepowersstrangepowers Member UncommonPosts: 630

Thanks for sharing that opinion piece.

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107

My main critisism of GW2 fanboys is that they keep pushing that it is different. IT REALLY IS NOT THAT DIFFERENT FROM ALL THE OTHER GAMES!!!!!

You will hop in and spend most of your time pressing buttons 1-8 like other MMO's. You will choose traits/skills like other MMO's. You will run around moderatly sized (read: not large) sized zones collecting quests. Instead of the excalamation points we are a kin to seeing, you will see a Heart instead. WHOOPEEE!!!!

Also, I wouldn't call the exploring in GW2 very good either. You explore to level/gain, not to actually find unique things. Everything you find EVERYONE else will find just as easily. 

Guildwars 2 is a good game, but it isn't better than most of the others out there except for one thing. No sub. Otherwise, its a generic MMO that is dumbed down some.

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    I call B.S. There is another thread with plenty of fans of the game talking about how bad the bugs are.
  • Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    Best game of the last few years, despite its many flaws its fun.....

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325
    Originally posted by Xzen
    I call B.S. There is another thread with plenty of fans of the game talking about how bad the bugs are.

Yeah and pretty much every one of them were brought up at least three weeks ago, but the responses then were, "its not game breaking", "The games new", "shut up you dirty hater".

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• Marcus-Marcus- Member UncommonPosts: 1,010

These days, it seems that anyone who likes a game more than you is a fanboy, anyone who dislikes a game more than you is a troll..

those words have lost any meaning to me over the last few years, as they are tossed around in just about every other posting on this forum.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464

I had never played Guild Wars. Bought this and started playing. I have to say that it has been a great gaming experience so far. I'm not a fan of respawn times in some areas. I'm trying to fight through an area, and the thing you just killed has already  respawned and it kills you along with the 2 you are fighting. Some glitches in the game that need ironed out.  

However, it has still been extremely fun to play. i had to re-adjust to the questing. I'm used to quest hubs.  

As for "fanboyism", I have only encountered one group of die-hard fans that will actually buy a new game just to talk about how bad it is (in the starting zones of course), and how they're going back to their game and people should do the same.  They're not from GW2. 

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Tardcore
    Originally posted by Xzen

Yeah and pretty much every one of them were brought up at least three weeks ago, but the responses then were, "its not game breaking", "The games new", "shut up you dirty hater".

I call B.S. again. The only bug that was "game breaking" was not being able to do the last dungeon and the story mode but those have been fixed.

Edit: The AH being down was pretty bad too.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072

I don't think I can take It anymore, the total and complete obsession with Guild Wars 2 being the best thing to happen since gravity was explained. I, like many other people won't just fall into a game without looking at all It's points; both good and bad. However It Is absolutely impossible to talk to any of these hundreds of fanboys without them completely freaking out at you.

I understand some people really like this game but It's like they are all blind or In denial and It's gotten to the point where I daren't critisize GW2 in fear of hundreds of condescending, hateful and ridiculous comments. I know this isn't the same for other games, people seemed more open to critisize and compare. However I do know there's some sort of patriotic duty to defend your current game. But this has to be the biggest concentration of fanboism I've ever encountered. 

It's funny, I commented on how the Sylvari zone was artistically similar to perfect worlds elf area and mentioned I was slightly dissapointed In the lack of originality. What followed was about 45 minutes of pure hate and blind defending... 

Gah, I don 't usually post but I just had to get this of my chest. Anyone else have any experiences on this topic? I'd love to hear them. 

No, the game is not the best thing since whatever.

But this shit goes both ways. Sometimes trying to discuss anything positive about the game it gets smacked down by people "who just want to talk constructively" about the game completely and unconditionally. Bring up ANY good feature or innovation in the game, and you'll get people "who just want to talk constructively" and stomp the features into hell instantly and wont take any word the other way. Dont make it sound like it's just fans, you cant discuss anything here, good or bad.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Threads like this are hilarious. OP states he wants the right to point out the negative aspects of a game in an opinion forum where only positive opinions are tolerated, and what follows only proves his point.

GJ!

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123

Yes, you are not the only one. At the end i guess only them will be playing the game, they are killing the game, talking only about ¨the best MMO of all times¨  and ignoring all the real problems, wont help. 

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    GW2=Best mmo released in the past 10 years. I almost feel like I am screwing A-net over by not paying a sub fee for this game.  So much much detail in the world it blows my mind, Absolutley having a blast playing this game.
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

What do you care about what other pepole think or do?

So don't talk with them. Stay out of the GW2 forums and consider it old news, water under the bridge, etc?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • FangrimFangrim Member UncommonPosts: 616
    Originally posted by Marcus-

These days, it seems that anyone who likes a game more than you is a fanboy, anyone who dislikes a game more than you is a troll..

those words have lost any meaning to me over the last few years, as they are tossed around in just about every other posting on this forum.

You're just a Trolboy! :) or is it Fantrol?.....

• StanlyStankoStanlyStanko Member UncommonPosts: 270
    The Guild Wars Defense Force is indeed fervent and well trained but your thread will only make them mob you
  • madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,107
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    Best game of the last few years, despite its many flaws its fun.....

LOL. It is fun. But it is NOT the best. Maybe the best for you. But thats an awfully bold statement for a generic dumbed down MMO (again, I admit I like it, but it is what it is).

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Hmm OP... Bet you wake up tomorrow and think: Crap - Posting while under the influence and all that...

Dont worry though - 24 hour ban at most and GW2 is still an amazing game that many of us dropped our subscription in another game for...

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I can't really give much opinion on it, I have only played like 20-30 minutes....So I can't say that I have given it enough of a chance to say I dislike it....  It sure hasn't grabbed me, could be the class (necro, which is one of the classes I always play).  It may also have been that I played on launch weekend and the zerg of new people made the game seem dull for pve...  Also had a lot of other stuff going on, so it's been a little of disinterest and me being busy...

I will probably give it another shot this week and see.

This discussion has been closed.