Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fanboism of Guild Wars 2

I don't think I can take It anymore, the total and complete obsession with Guild Wars 2 being the best thing to happen since gravity was explained. I, like many other people won't just fall into a game without looking at all It's points; both good and bad. However It Is absolutely impossible to talk to any of these hundreds of fanboys without them completely freaking out at you.

I understand some people really like this game but It's like they are all blind or In denial and It's gotten to the point where I daren't critisize GW2 in fear of hundreds of condescending, hateful and ridiculous comments. I know this isn't the same for other games, people seemed more open to critisize and compare. However I do know there's some sort of patriotic duty to defend your current game. But this has to be the biggest concentration of fanboism I've ever encountered. 

It's funny, I commented on how the Sylvari zone was artistically similar to perfect worlds elf area and mentioned I was slightly dissapointed In the lack of originality. What followed was about 45 minutes of pure hate and blind defending... 

Gah, I don 't usually post but I just had to get this of my chest. Anyone else have any experiences on this topic? I'd love to hear them. 

Comments

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Or maybe the game is just that good...

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Thread will be locked. In like flynn.
  • IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Yupp, blind generalizing accusations and branding are WAY better. :D

It's gotten better, though. Many GW2 players just wish good luck in any other game and ask for you to mail them your stuff. °O

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Sadly, OP is spot on. There has been many legitimate criticism of GW2 made on the GW2 forum and their respective OP have, for the most part, been met with stupid comments along the lines of "you're playing it wrong", "you don't know what you're talking about", "another troll post", etc. It's getting ridiculous.
  • OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Since it appears you like to make baiting thread, I do not understand why you think this would not happen to you. There is no game out that you can call bad and then not have some one defend. The SWTOR crowd was amazingly defensive up until the news of F2P and there are still a few lingering. This happens with any game, get used to it.

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Deathenger

To some of us, it is.  To those like the OP that don't care for it, well....so what?  It's not going to change the opinion of those that love it and you always get the feeling they're trying to drag you down with their negativity in the face of your own enjoyment of the game, so....why is it surprising that people defend something they're really enjoying when it's being harshly (and sometimes unfairly) criticized by someone?  I think that's pretty much human nature to defend things we enjoy or love (for lack of a better word).

OP just needs to deal with it.  After all....GW2 "fanbois" have to deal with his threads.  Same same.  Even if this is his first thread (which I doubt....I'm not taking the time to check his posts).

Go enjoy a game of YOUR choosing and stop worrying about GW2, would be my advice.

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    It is kind of like being a wow player. You just ignore the wow haters like you have to ignore the gw2 fanbois. Most are beyond the realm of sanity in their love/hate.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    OP should be forthright and state up front what game he's fanboying for.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• demonic87demonic87 Member UncommonPosts: 438
    There's one thing worse than the fanboy's defending their game on their own sub forum, and that's people who take the time to sit on it all day saying it sucks. You aren't any better.
  • kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87

I just find it hysterical at this point... I'm not even remotely interested in GW2 but I visit that forum daily just to look at posts critcal of GW2 to watch them wig-out as if you offended their dear grandmother, it's comedy gold. 

• DeathengerDeathenger Member UncommonPosts: 880
    Originally posted by just1opinion

To some of us, it is.  To those like the OP that don't care for it, well....so what?  It's not going to change the opinion of those that love it and you always get the feeling they're trying to drag you down with their negativity in the face of your own enjoyment of the game, so....why is it surprising that people defend something they're really enjoying when it's being harshly (and sometimes unfairly) criticized by someone?  I think that's pretty much human nature to defend things we enjoy or love (for lack of a better word).

OP just needs to deal with it.  After all....GW2 "fanbois" have to deal with his threads.  Same same.  Even if this is his first thread (which I doubt....I'm not taking the time to check his posts).

Go enjoy a game of YOUR choosing and stop worrying about GW2, would be my advice.

His comments weren't about the game, but about so called fanboys. My comment was in regards to maybe the game is just so damn good that all the positive comments and such are taken as being a fanboy by all the haters.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    send me a link of the legitimate claims and I'll let you know. So far there haven't been any. ahem.
  • just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    OP should be forthright and state up front what game he's fanboying for.

Ain't it the truth?

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245
    Originally posted by demonic87
    There's one thing worse than the fanboy's defending their game on their own sub forum, and that's people who take the time to sit on it all day saying it sucks. You aren't any better.

You just proved his point, he didn't even say it sucks.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

His comments weren't about the game, but about so called fanboys. My comment was in regards to maybe the game is just so damn good that all the positive comments and such are taken as being a fanboy by all the haters.

Exactly. That's what's really happening, the game is that good it's sad that some feel the need to be part of what they percieve as the in crowd by being descenters and just can't let go of their old notions.

My guild last night was voting on whether to force people in their guild to represent only their one guild on all alts at all times. Talk about old notions.

• IkonisIkonis Member UncommonPosts: 245

So delusional.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by chrisatron

. I, like many other people won't just fall into a game without looking at all It's points; both good and bad. However It Is absolutely impossible to talk to any of these hundreds of fanboys without them completely freaking out at you.

you sound as bad as the problem you are describing - generalizing and exaggerating

there probably less than 10 mmorpg.com GW2 "fanboy posters" that give knee jerk remarks to criticisms

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

No game is really that perfect

GW2 is an excellent game but it have its up and downs just like anything else in the world. But frankly are most of the fans not so bad as OP say, most of them dont get rabid on well based critique written without whining, cursing or being rude.

A bunch of trolls are whipping up everyone as usual, some for and some against the game. It woulnt surprise if some of those trolls in fact have 2 accounts with one on each side.

Post saying "this game suxs" without much of sense or reason do got shot down quick but that is not really so strange.

A long and well written post about why dungeons in GW2 arent good enough and how to improve them on the other hand would get very little flaming from the GW2 fans.

It is not so much what you say but how you say it.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by chrisatron

I don't think I can take It anymore, the total and complete obsession with Guild Wars 2 being the best thing to happen since gravity was explained. I, like many other people won't just fall into a game without looking at all It's points; both good and bad. However It Is absolutely impossible to talk to any of these hundreds of fanboys without them completely freaking out at you.

I understand some people really like this game but It's like they are all blind or In denial and It's gotten to the point where I daren't critisize GW2 in fear of hundreds of condescending, hateful and ridiculous comments. I know this isn't the same for other games, people seemed more open to critisize and compare. However I do know there's some sort of patriotic duty to defend your current game. But this has to be the biggest concentration of fanboism I've ever encountered. 

It's funny, I commented on how the Sylvari zone was artistically similar to perfect worlds elf area and mentioned I was slightly dissapointed In the lack of originality. What followed was about 45 minutes of pure hate and blind defending... 

Gah, I don 't usually post but I just had to get this of my chest. Anyone else have any experiences on this topic? I'd love to hear them. 

Because the Sylvari area is similar to Perfect World´s in one and only aspect: There are many huge trees and other plant-like '' thingys everywhere. Otherwise, the art is not the same, the graphic is not the same and the depth of these two areas is absolutly different. You can´t talk about '' originality '' and blame North America because their forests are kinda newer than EU´s, which means that they are not original.

When haters hate the game to the point, that they begin to '' SEARCH '' for something, just something, anywhere to blame the game for,  you have no right to blame the fanbois for defending.

• chrisatronchrisatron Member Posts: 139
    Originally posted by demonic87

You see, I never once said I hated the game, I simply said It's hard for people to even consider critisizing the game; however small It may be. And when people do It's like they are being thrown Into the fiery pits of hell. Like I said, I understand how certain games in-fuse a strong sense of patriotism however I'd prefer If people would take a more devils advocate approach. Rather then shooting down valid points completely because they can't take anyone critisizing their holy grail. 

• lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129
    If you call this being blind and being in denyal, than I never want to see or be out of denyal again!  I'm having the most fun in a MMORPG in YEARS.   I've been doing the new mmorpg, OMG it sucks, new mmorpg, OMG it sucks cycle for years now.  It's refreshing to finally play a mmorpg that not only do I genually enjoy playing, but one that I want to play more of and log in every chance I get.   Is the game perfect? no.  But there's nothing on the horizon for at least two years that looks worth playing.  Until ArchAge gets a US or at least a global english release, I can't imagine playing any other game until then.
  • grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935
    Originally posted by itgrowls
    send me a link of the legitimate claims and I'll let you know. So far there haven't been any. ahem.

Here's one:

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/364826/Love-the-game-but-ability-progression-is-the-weakest-part.html

Ahem.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Wow, an entire thread filled with posters making the OPs argument for him. Imagine that.

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217

i forgive you OP.

Not every player is mature and enlightened enough to  "get it"

I'm sure there is a little niche game out there just waiting for you.

have fun.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• KaspanovaKaspanova Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by itgrowls

Exactly. That's what's really happening, the game is that good it's sad that some feel the need to be part of what they percieve as the in crowd by being descenters and just can't let go of their old notions.

Ehhh,you're being serious aren't you? Sounds like you're talking about a religion... one word off lol

Exactly. That's what's really happening, the game religion is that good it's sad that some feel the need to be part of what they percieve as the in crowd by being descenters and just can't let go of their old notions.

This discussion has been closed.