Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So the next big MMO is?

Comments

• JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Otherland

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    TESO isn't trying to be wow2 like your rifts and swtors.

Everything they say about it screams daoc2.

Tough on people who wanted a mmo just like tes single player, but for instance
    Rvr focused end game
    3 separated pve areas
    1/4 world pvp flagged
    Open dungeons
    Emphasis on crafting for gear progression

Non of them things are wow in any way, but they are very daoc.
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    TESO main problem will be distinguishing itself from gw2, as it sounds like they have much in common, but gw2 has no sub.
  • VrdictVrdict Member Posts: 10
    Depends what you like. A lot of niche mmos coming especially from korea, but I like raiding so the only mmo I have to look forward to is EQNext.
  • OmiragOmirag Member UncommonPosts: 276
    FOrge looks cool for PvP players.

• KhayotixKhayotix Member UncommonPosts: 231
    I want to say Everquest Next, but the direction it is going in, will either be a wow grade success, or a very stable niche game with a solid base of around 500k. So I cant be sure it will be the NEXT BIG MMO. But I am putting my faith in it regardless.

• KaspanovaKaspanova Member UncommonPosts: 61
    Originally posted by Jemcrystal
    Otherland

This.

otherland

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jT40EhYgy-g

Otherland Trailer ^

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Here's hoping for TESO. 

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310

Originally posted by tixylix SWTOR and GW2 felt too much like more of the same to me, still grinding on mobs and doing battlegrounds. I don't like Planetside 2, just feels really poor as a shooter and nothing like Planetside, no surprise really as it is SOE. Just can't see anything else right now.... just want that innovative genre defining title that we haven't had for 7 years, bored of the same old crap.
    ArchAage and Wildstar look good. Wildstar for a Themepark game and ArchAge for a remisisent DAoC FFA sandbox game. GW2, IMO, is the start of hybridizing sandbox and themepark games (personal story choice system, DEs that alter the physical game world, etc). Wildstar seems to continue this trend with player housing, class system, etc. 

Originally posted by Saryhl I want to say Everquest Next, but the direction it is going in, will either be a wow grade success, or a very stable niche game with a solid base of around 500k. So I cant be sure it will be the NEXT BIG MMO. But I am putting my faith in it regardless.
    500k subs/players isn't niche. Thats the standard fan base of every mmo execpt WoW.

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by bcbully

Here's hoping for TESO. 

I lost that hope the same moment the lead designer said that all MMO features have already been invented.

TESO will probably do acceptable but it seems to be a remake of DaoC with some Wow features and the Elder scrolls IP.

I just cant see it as the next big thing. My guess is still Class 4 from Undead labs.

• SicaeSicae Member Posts: 110

Do you mean next big MMO as in huge hype, or next game to become a longterm success in the west?

The game with the biggest potential for hype is elder scrolls online, but right now people hate on it because of swtor. Wildstar has potential to gather lots of hype, all because of well made promo videos, but there is not really much info on the game. The problem with judging those two games is the total lack of game footage.

Neverwinter can become a small hit, and since its f2p its very cheap to start. I don't think it will be big enough to be the next big MMO.

Blade&soul and Archeage is gathering same attention as Aion and Tera did, but they will be niche in the west.

My vote for next big MMO goes to Planetside 2 because it will gather the players that are tired of mmorpg combat and progression, and would rather play a MMOFPS instead.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

i just get this strange feeling eq3 will be the one. My gut tells me it will be alot different than what were used to, but of course its only a guess.

• slickbizzleslickbizzle Member Posts: 464
    If I had to guess, I'd say Everquest.
  • JemcrystalJemcrystal Member UncommonPosts: 1,984
    Originally posted by tixylix

I have no interest in The Elder Scrolls Online and I love that series and want to love MMOs again. 

I've always said The Elder Scrolls would make the best MMO ever because it just lends itself so well to that style of game. I'm so tired of the WoW formula that having that questing system, first person view and combat would be so amazing.

So what do they go and do? Copy every other MMO out there and ditch what makes the Elder Scrolls good.

So no thanx.

That is just such a big shame.  I was so hoping that would not be the case.

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    There's nothing that radically different on the horizon, unfortunately.

Uh..... Planetside 2.

Thats pretty much the biggest, most technically impressive MMO of the last handful of years, coming out this year.

There's also Darkfall 2.0 which is big for sandbox/PvP fans.

Then in the far future there's the Repopulation and EQNext and the new CCP MMO. Maybe ArchAge.

And TESO is hanging around there somewhere, but there's almost no one excited for it. They've managed to offend both the people sick of WoW clones and people who like DAoC. Stupid instances.

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Here's hoping it's WorldAlpha! :)

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• TirxTirx Member Posts: 6

AC3  Woot!...... no ac3.......Drat and double Drat... 

Elder Scrolls Online   all the way

• LoLifeLoLife Member CommonPosts: 174
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    There's nothing that radically different on the horizon, unfortunately.

There are some MMO's I am looking forward to, but really I'm just clutching straws here, because the outlook is quite frigging bleak.

• busdriverbusdriver Member Posts: 859

TESO for sure!

oh wait... I thought you said 'the next big fail MMO'.  My bad.

TESO offers nothing new, same shit since 2004.

• expressoexpresso Member UncommonPosts: 2,218
    Titan..... in 2016
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

ArchAge is just another asian mmo. It'll come and go, disappear into the sunset.

Once the hype train starts for Elder Scrolls Online you'll see the herd of sheep start to follow it pretty heavily.

Beyond that, there isn't anything. WoW's negative influence on the gaming genre has finally killed companies interest in making new copies of WoW.

I've never understood these comments.  No one is forcing companies to make crappy wow clones.  They are more than welcome to actually innovate the genre more.  Unfortunetly, they just chase a gravy train and act surprised people aren't interested.

You make me like charity

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by tixylix

SWTOR and GW2 felt too much like more of the same to me, still grinding on mobs and doing battlegrounds. I don't like Planetside 2, just feels really poor as a shooter and nothing like Planetside, no surprise really as it is SOE.

Just can't see anything else right now....

just want that innovative genre defining title that we haven't had for 7 years, bored of the same old crap.

You have to mean since 15 years, right? And no you want see anything the next few years.. better stop playing mmos right now.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by coretex666
    Originally posted by Nitth

Originally posted by coretex666
    The only "BIG MMO" that I see coming in the next a few years is definitely Blizzard's Titan.

I think that we will see something that has not been seen before in the MMO industry. I expect a revolutionary product that will dictate the trends in the industry for next decade just like WoW did. They say they expect its lifecycle to be like two decades. I doubt they would say something like this if they had a product similar to MMOs that have been released in the last several years in their hands. They have to have something special.

Lol how can you make that assumption about a product that has released 0 information about itself?

You have no idea?

Maybe I could base my assumption on the history of their products? They are the company that created WoW, Diablo, Starcraft, and Warcraft. Dont you believe that they are capable of delivering a revolutionary product?

Imagine that BMW stated that they are working on a next gen car that will be something completely different from what we have seen until now. Would you expect the car to suck or to be really good. (I picked BMW since I believe that they also delivered some outstanding products in the past, you may change it to Audi or whatever works for you).

EDIT: Btw I really like when people start their response with "lol"

Blizzard and revolution, you are joking, right?

Diabo -actually not from blizzard

Warcraft, Starcraft - Dune 2 clones

WoW - EQ clone.

Blizzard is not good in doing new ideas. They are very good in collect good, well doing features, bring them together and make a well made game out of it. But revolution? No, they never revoluted anything at all.

Titan may be big, because blizzard do know how to make a well polished game. But they are not got to bring new ideas to the table. That is not their business.

• EdelbertEdelbert Member Posts: 67

I put all my hope in Archeage. I trust in XLGames and I trust in Jake Song, but it is to be feared they choose the wrong publisher and also westernization could ruin it for me.

Until then maybe Darkfall: UW is a neat time sink and basically anything halfway hardcore with a large and seamless open world and FFA-PvP will do.

• NitreNitre Member Posts: 37

f2p mmos can never be the next big thing, so its Titan . is wildstar p2p or b2p..anyone knows?

neverwinter will be good btu its f2p so no

teso is what p2p?