Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The Mists Are Ugly

WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165
They made such a prettyful and diverse world, but all of the PvP areas and maps are the same depressing and ugly environment. Anyone else have this feel?

Comments

• jondifooljondifool Member UncommonPosts: 1,143
    ?? hu ?? whats wrong with WvW maps? besides 3 of them are the same. And sPvP maps are serving their purpose nicely. I simply don't get it.
  • WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by jondifool
    ?? hu ?? whats wrong with WvW maps? besides 3 of them are the same. And sPvP maps are serving their purpose nicely. I simply don't get it.

Aesthetics.

• Lord.BachusLord.Bachus Member RarePosts: 9,686
    No woods, just empty grasslands and snowscapes, much less attention to landscape detail (wvwvw) to get just that little bit of extra performance

Best MMO experiences : EQ(PvE), DAoC(PvP), WoW(total package) LOTRO (worldfeel) GW2 (Artstyle and animations and worlddesign) SWTOR (Story immersion) TSW (story) ESO (character advancement)

Originally posted by Lord.Bachus
    No woods, just empty grasslands and snowscapes, much less attention to landscape detail (wvwvw) to get just that little bit of extra performance

I'll take a cooler landscape over more performance.

• Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by Wootloops

I'll take a cooler landscape over less performance.

The majority of PvP'ers think the opposite and a lot tend to end lower their settings in PvP, just to squeeze out those extra frames.

• bleyzwunbleyzwun Member UncommonPosts: 1,087
    I wouldn't call it ugly.  I was pretty disappointed to find out that 3 of the maps look exactly the same.  I was hoping it was only the layout.  They could have at least gave the environments a different feel.  It is pretty lame imo.  Other than that WvW is pretty great when compared to WAR.  
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

Try saying that when you get 2 x 100 people zergs fighting each other in a forest and your performance goes down to 3fps, and everyone is getting stuck in the trees

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

• xm522xm522 Member UncommonPosts: 117
    a dark and gloomy landscape is fittin for a war. just adds to my immersion to have a war in such an area.
  • Master10KMaster10K Member Posts: 3,065
    Originally posted by stragen001

Try saying that when you get 2 x 100 people zergs fighting each other in a forest and your performance goes down to 3fps, and everyone is getting stuck in the trees

Oh god. I remember those hellish days back in BWE1 & 2. At least now my crappy PC can churn out 10-15fps during those huge open battles in WvW. image

Originally posted by DMKano

Performance is not the only reason - its more to do with having open areas so players can fight without objects being in the way like trees etc...

large fights need lots of space.

Open space doesn't mean it has to be ugly. Queensdale isn't ugly and has more open space than WvW maps.

Originally posted by Master10K

The majority of PvP'ers think the opposite and a lot tend to end lower their settings in PvP, just to squeeze out those extra frames.

It's actually the minority of PvPers who do that, and even they don't want uglyness. And uglyness isn't even necessary for good performance; they just designed it ugly.

• solarinesolarine Member Posts: 1,203
    Originally posted by Master10K

It's actually the minority of PvPers who do that, and even they don't want uglyness. And uglyness isn't even necessary for good performance; they just designed it ugly.

I don't know... Back in the days of Quake 1, people used to turn off lighting/shadows to gain a few more frames.

Of course, that also meant cheating a bit, because then other players couldn't hide in the dark.

Ah, the perils of client-side multiplayer gaming. :)

• FreezzoFreezzo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    So... a forest fight or tactical retreat into a forest isn't an option? Ok...

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...