Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Returning After 1 Year - Abuse ALREADY!

RokzRokz Member UncommonPosts: 7

I hadn't played for almost 1 year... Tonight I thought I would try out my Paladin and heal a Heroic Dungeon. The dungeon was Deadmines Heroic. 

The healing was fine, we wiped once early due to the tank chain pulling and myself typing but that was no drama, the tank just made a small joke about having great healers at this time of night. But nothing abusive.

Once we got to the door that can be blown by cannon or lockpicked. He asked the Rogue (a friend of mine) to pick the lock, he (the Rogue) never read this and proceeded to use the cannon. The tank then told him that he was stupid but with a bit more foul language inserted and followed that by telling him to delete his account.

I whispered him to ask him to tone it down. Which he replied with more bad language. I then said I was submitting the conversation to Blizzard. Which he made a joke about myself having kids and killing myself. Pretty bold considering there is a massive focus on internet bullying and harassment lately. I then made a screenshot left the group, left the game and uninstalled World of Warcraft. 

I have not purchased Mists of Pandaria, and due to experiences like these I never will. This is absolutely the reason I had quit previously. This environment is no longer enjoyable or exciting.

Is this NORMAL for any other players out there? Can this player be dealt with? The ability to submit tickets has changed since I last used it and I couldn't report abuse at all. I will be posting this in a variety of MMORPG forums, I don't imagine it will last long on these forums.

PLAYER - http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/frostmourne/Boombenefits/simple

CHAT LOG - http://tinypic.com/r/35hqlw5/6

Comments

• WicoaWicoa Member UncommonPosts: 1,637

Your not gonna like this:

The way people are has changed forever this is not wows fault you will see more smack talk than this in fps titles from public matches.  The key for people like you who do not have thick skins is to simply join a guild in any game you play and run dungeons with them exclusively.

The game isn't the environment you play in anymore its your guild.  This is the most important factor to remember when playing mmorpgs it applys to all of them and this is not a complete list EVE, WOW, GW2, it will apply to Planetside 2.

Infact Id like to carve EvE out as your corp/guild is in fact your entire gaming experience without it the game is humdrum.

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

You people make it sound as if this problem is limited to WOW only.

I have never seen the amount of abuse and smack talk in any MMO that i have seen in EVE ONLINE and that is suppossed to be a MMO for the 'grown ups'. The runner up title would be AOC. God awful community.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

every mmo has its share of idiots

i dislike cross server random grouping because character reputation doesnt matter at all

- players can be asshats without social gameplay ramifications

that said,

run dungeons w friends or a guild and you can avoid all or most of the troublesome players

• RokzRokz Member UncommonPosts: 7
    Originally posted by halflife25

You people make it sound as if this problem is limited to WOW only.

I have never seen the amount of abuse and smack talk in any MMO that i have seen in EVE ONLINE and that is suppossed to be a MMO for the 'grown ups'. The runner up title would be AOC. God awful community.

Yeah it sort of comes across as anti-wow. It was just a single experience that happened tonight, just needed to rant about it. :P

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

There are people like this everywhere, man.

There are people like this when you walk down the street.

I'm an avid pug'er in games and I ask people just to shut up or leave when these kinds of arguments start. I see the problem from both perspectives, but the guy didn't need to get mouthy.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I think you overreacted. It's an multiplayer game after all. There are such people in multiplayer games. Unless you only play with your buddies, you can basically uninstall all your multiplayer games, and never play any of them anymore in the future.

Though the maturity of the community depends of course on:

- the average age of the players (the younger, the more bad language, because it's so cool)

- how pvp focused it is (the more pvp, the more something is anothers fault, the more bad language)

- the country most people are from (different countries, different cultures, different ways of bringing up youths, and so the community is different too)

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Originally posted by maji

I think you overreacted. It's an multiplayer game after all. There are such people in multiplayer games. Unless you only play with your buddies, you can basically uninstall all your multiplayer games, and never play any of them anymore in the future.

Though the maturity of the community depends of course on:

- the average age of the players (the younger, the more bad language, because it's so cool)

I disagree. Most of the trash talkers are college-age and older. The younger teens are less apt to act-out because they primarily want acceptance. I know this from experience in online games 2 decades, meeting and listening to people in various voice chats. The biggest trash-talking babies are middle aged guys, surprisingly enough. They think they know everything and don't know when to shut up.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I agree. People wonder why games such as WoW suffer from a dearth of tanks / healers, it's because the second things go wrong, said classes are immediately blamed. Nevermind the fact that the idiot DPS is standing in the fire, watching the DPS meters instead of the situation at hand...

So sad that people can't wipe and have fun anymore. Some of my best memories of WoW were during TBC years, where my guildies and I would wipe night after night on the heroics in Auchindoun, yet loved every minute of it.

Even more sad is that most companies won't do shit about it because they don't want to lose the subscription revenue. Whether you hate the game or love it, you can't deny that Arenanet is dong the right thing by suspending / banning the accounts of rude asshats. That alone gives them major props in my book.

People bitch about WoW's community... but let us not forget that Blizzard has fostered it, if from only lack of action against it.

Why should the company do something about it.. it's a personality clash. Person A thinks person B is completely wasting person A's time, person B doesn't like to be told that or flashes out subjected to colorful metaphors. Separate and go group with other people. Person A can get his ass handed to him by me, and person B can frolic with my little pony.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by Kaelano1

Most of the trash talkers are college-age and older.

The younger teens are less apt to act-out because they primarily want acceptance. I know this from experience in online games 2 decades, meeting and listening to people in various voice chats.

The biggest trash-talking babies are middle aged guys, surprisingly enough. They think they know everything and don't know when to shut up.

from my own experiences i agree :)

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Nadia

The younger teens are less apt to act-out because they primarily want acceptance. I know this from experience in online games 2 decades, meeting and listening to people in various voice chats.

The biggest trash-talking babies are middle aged guys, surprisingly enough. They think they know everything and don't know when to shut up.

I agree too that is why i gave example of Eve Online. It is full of middle aged trash talkers.

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

I agree too that is why i gave example of Eve Online. It is full of middle aged trash talkers.

EVE Online has one of the worst communities I've ever experienced.

Want proof? Just mention during casual banter in corp / system chat that you're a believer in one of the Abrahamic religions (other than Islam) and watch the flames fly.

Fuck that game, that company, and the majority of that community.

• neorandomneorandom Member Posts: 1,681
    pre wow people didnt act like shit in mmorpgs.  then wow came along, and attracted the shitheads, and then didnt punish them for acting shitty.  now every game on the internet smacks of shit.  even if the game is good most of the people playing it make you wish it was an offline solo game.
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Internet sadly brings out the worst in some people. I dont think it really is Wows or the genres fault but most MMOs tend to reward selfish behavior like ninjalooting.

You should of course report him, but I doubt that helps.

My recommendation is that you join a large friendly guild and do your dungeons with them instead, if that incident happened there you would report the moron to an officer who would deal with it (hopefully, or you joined a bad guild).

When you are member of a large guild you can also disable the general chat, keeps away Chuck Norris jokes and similar things.

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433

Sometimes I wish the internet wasn't anonynous, I know these socially inept fools would never curse you like that if you knew them or if they knew you in real life, let alone say it to your face.

There's no physical or social ramifications for being an asshole on the internet.  

• girdisordergirdisorder Member UncommonPosts: 45

never pug. if you do, you're asking for trouble. just be glad all the other times you pugged and everything didn't go wrong. meantime get some friends that play the mmo's you do, sametime you do and you'll run into a lot less of these types of situations.

2 cents

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by neorandom
    pre wow people didnt act like shit in mmorpgs.  then wow came along, and attracted the shitheads, and then didnt punish them for acting shitty.  now every game on the internet smacks of shit.  even if the game is good most of the people playing it make you wish it was an offline solo game.

I dont actually think that is just the problem, because it is happening everywhere on the net. Just look on this forum, trolling have been worse and worse the last 4 years and the mods work hard to get the worst offenders banned.

People are acting worse and worse on the net, and it is not only mainstream teenagers anymore either.

Online games aren't the place for that kind of discussion I think, especially an general-type chat. Is that really a prejudice you have against certain games?

edit: that was to the religion thing.

Originally posted by Rednecksith

EVE Online has one of the worst communities I've ever experienced.

Want proof? Just mention during casual banter in corp / system chat that you're a believer in one of the Abrahamic religions (other than Islam) and watch the flames fly.

Fuck that game, that company, and the majority of that community.

Here. Maybe you'll enjoy this.

http://www.visionsgame.com/

• QuicklyScottQuicklyScott Member Posts: 433
    Originally posted by Loke666

I dont actually think that is just the problem, because it is happening everywhere on the net. Just look on this forum, trolling have been worse and worse the last 4 years and the mods work hard to get the worst offenders banned.

People are acting worse and worse on the net, and it is not only mainstream teenagers anymore either.

Perhaps it's indicative of how our society has changed because... the internet is a big place...and like you said; it's everywhere.  It can't just be a niche change made by a single game.

I remember 10 years ago playing Runescape, I was 11, playing with millions my own age, the worst insult you would hear was the word "newb" and that was in amongst a lot of preteens.  Now, even in the streets I've heard ludicrous things from kids and young people, let alone on the internet.   

Originally posted by QuicklyScott
    Originally posted by Loke666

Perhaps it's indicative of how our society has changed because... the internet is a big place...and like you said; it's everywhere.  It can't just be a niche change made by a single game.

I remember 10 years ago playing Runescape, I was 11, playing with millions my own age, the worst insult you would hear was the word "newb" and that was in amongst a lot of preteens.  Now, even in the streets I've heard ludicrous things from kids and young people, let alone on the internet.   

I'm getting kinda tired of the term "troll". It's just an easy way to de-legitimize another person's opinion or point of view, especially if it contains humor "some people" don't "get". The polar opposite are the rising number of joyless tattle-talers that win personal victories crying to authorities when nothing really was damaged in the first place, just to get their way, or just to exercise their will over others.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    Originally posted by Rokz

Is this NORMAL for any other players out there? Can this player be dealt with? The ability to submit tickets has changed since I last used it and I couldn't report abuse at all. I will be posting this in a variety of MMORPG forums, I don't imagine it will last long on these forums.

Yes, sorry, but yes.  I hate it with a passion.  This type of behavior has been tolerated so long that it's now considered somewhat of a normal experince.  It's one of the main reasons I don't do PUGs and why I almost left online gaming altogether a couple years ago.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263

disable chat when you group with players other than your friends/guild; you can do so in WoW; I have my fair share of WoW gaming and one time had a player whispering stuff and bullying; like some said here, join a guild, chat with them or friends only; don't let the garbage of society interfere with your gaming

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Rokz

I hadn't played for almost 1 year... Tonight I thought I would try out my Paladin and heal a Heroic Dungeon. The dungeon was Deadmines Heroic. 

The healing was fine, we wiped once early due to the tank chain pulling and myself typing but that was no drama, the tank just made a small joke about having great healers at this time of night. But nothing abusive.

Once we got to the door that can be blown by cannon or lockpicked. He asked the Rogue (a friend of mine) to pick the lock, he (the Rogue) never read this and proceeded to use the cannon. The tank then told him that he was stupid but with a bit more foul language inserted and followed that by telling him to delete his account.

I whispered him to ask him to tone it down. Which he replied with more bad language. I then said I was submitting the conversation to Blizzard. Which he made a joke about myself having kids and killing myself. Pretty bold considering there is a massive focus on internet bullying and harassment lately. I then made a screenshot left the group, left the game and uninstalled World of Warcraft. 

I have not purchased Mists of Pandaria, and due to experiences like these I never will. This is absolutely the reason I had quit previously. This environment is no longer enjoyable or exciting.

Rokz , I agree with you.

As others on this site already know I have played every single mmorpg , and WoW is by far the worst , and in my opinion this type of attitude came out with WoW.

Back in the days of UO/EQ/DAoC ect those attitudes were dealt with quickly and were not tolerated at all, but when World of warcrap came out , moronic people with terrible attitudes came with it , and Blizzard did NOTHING to suspend or ban these people for making threats like that.

I have reported hundreds and hundreds of people in WoW and kept a tab on them well for two weeks straight those people were still playing and being abusive and nothing happened to them , you pull that stunt in GW2 now your doomed, they WILL suspend or even ban you for stuff like that guy said to you , and honestly people who make those comments should be reported to the police for threatening another person ect , because hey if you can say stuff like that in the real world and get in shit why can't it happen online? B ecause people feel safe behind their computer screens and believe they are untouchable , and when companies like Blizzard do not police their servers properly, I can see how some of these idiots believe that.

Smart move on uninstalling that acient peice of crap, you don't need to pay $15.00 a month to be threatened,  come play GW2 and you'll like it even more, the community is rather good , still some idiots but just report them because Arena net actualy does something about it!

Cheers

I agree the language and tone are "abusive". I don't feel you should throw around the term you are the "subject of abuse" which carries deeper meaning, generally has permanent implications, and it a "red-flag" word for a reason.

Next you'll be doing what people do on these forums : If someone calls you on some kind of bullshit, just report harrassment.

"Help. I'm being oppressed."

No, you're not. You're upset from a personality conflict and you're bringing everyone else in to fight your losing battle.

/rage