Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Daniel Erickson is.....

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Now James Ohlen needs to go with him. He and James Ohlen, I believe both have attributed in the failure of SWTOR.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

Oh my.

Is he under contract and is that a breach of said contract?

Anyway, only a few original team leaders left to purge.

I also thought it was interesting that Gabe isn't the one announcing the new PVP class balance changes, but Austin Peckenpaugh.

I thought it was an alias at first. BW is in Ausin, and  Peckenpaugh was a great Cowboy director.

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Good news, but too late.  He was one of the main culprits running this thing into the ground.

• BardusBardus Member Posts: 460

Look at the official forum. It's the Myan apocalyps.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=529799

• Whiskey_SamWhiskey_Sam Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Those people are living in a fool's paradise.  The reward for success is not a complete housecleaning.  Ship be sunk.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Poor SWTOR... I remember trying the game out and having fun with my sith warrior and getting pretty invested in the story. Idk what happened though I just never felt like logging back on. Oh well, life goes on. 
  • TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

Well on one hand I think its actually a shame as he seems a decent person and at least had passion about the game.

On the other hand though when things don't pan out as expected, heads do roll.

All I can say is better luck in your next assignment.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

....."So what you're saying. Mr. Erickson, is that you played a major role in the development of SWTOR and now you want to come work for us?!?!?!"

Abs-olutely.
  • Esquire1980Esquire1980 Member UncommonPosts: 568
    I believe I hold Rubenfield in higher regard.   Dallas Dickerson next?
  • ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912
    I regard Erickson as the DEVIL of Bioware/SWTOR. His answers on any critique were always arrogant and "we know all better". I hope his new job will be something useful, like filling the shelves in a supermarket, or delivering snail mail.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• noncleynoncley Member UncommonPosts: 718
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam
    Good news, but too late.  He was one of the main culprits running this thing into the ground.

Absolutely. I remember how arrogant and quite obviously incompetent he was in his presentations in the lead-up to the launch of the game - 'I never saw Han and Chewie flying about, did you?' - and pointed out that there was no way in heaven or hell that a game in which he had executive input would come out healthy and was im mediately attacked by a swarm of fanbois who regarded him as a living saint. Well, at last Erickson has got what he deserves.

In the end, the oldest and the wisest of all the developers was Gordon Walton who got out six months before the game was even launched. I guessed he must have seen what Zoeller and Erickson were doing to the game he had steered so lovongly from inception and didn't want to be anywhere near the birth when the game finally emerged.

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066
    Originally posted by noncley
    Originally posted by Whiskey_Sam

Absolutely. I remember how arrogant and quite obviously incompetent he was in his presentations in the lead-up to the launch of the game - 'I never saw Han and Chewie flying about, did you?' - and pointed out that there was no way in heaven or hell that a game in which he had executive input would come out healthy and was im mediately attacked by a swarm of fanbois who regarded him as a living saint. Well, at last Erickson has got what he deserves.

In the end, the oldest and the wisest of all the developers was Gordon Walton who got out six months before the game was even launched. I guessed he must have seen what Zoeller and Erickson were doing to the game he had steered so lovongly from inception and didn't want to be anywhere near the birth when the game finally emerged.

That was my guess back then about Gordon Walton, he bailed when he saw what SWTOR was turning in - generic WoW clone that pretty much has a chance like snowball in hell :)

*i based that on that presentation he gave some years ago now, about how to make a MMO, maybe someone still has a link.

• Bior337Bior337 Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Now James Ohlen needs to go with him. He and James Ohlen, I believe both have attributed in the failure of SWTOR.

The whole of Bioware is the reason SWTOR failed. They tried to make a singleplayer game and stick a monthly fee on it. EA too.

• Originally posted by prpshrt
    Poor SWTOR... I remember trying the game out and having fun with my sith warrior and getting pretty invested in the story. Idk what happened though I just never felt like logging back on. Oh well, life goes on. 

Exactly my experience. The gameplay was actually quite fun and the skill structure/build seemed well thought out. It was pretty fantastic to have dialogues and I found it very difficult to get into regular quest monologues or simple cutscenes after having played SWTOR. It was especially cool that your friends could participate in the dialogues. But after a while I just got bored and didn't feel like logging in.

I think SWTOR just was missing that MMO feel. It didn't feel like a world, but very much like a fragmented experience. It's a shame, because it had a lot of things going for it. But at its core its design was just flawed for the type of game it was.

• Cerebus31Cerebus31 Member Posts: 2

The Biodrones over on the official site claim that DE wasn't responsible for the catastrophe of the game. They adamantly point the finger at EA, as usual.

Hilarious.

Erickson, Dallas Dickinson and James Ohlen are MAJOR CATALYSTS IN THE FAILURE OF SWTOR. PERIOD.

And all 3 of them, as far as I'm concerned, should be fired and strung up by their thumbs. DE being fired is a great start.

This should of happened years ago. Ohlen and Dickinson are next.......

• MeGaTronPowerMeGaTronPower Member Posts: 80
    the man behind all the stories in swtor daniel erickson is fired? wow i think its really bad news for swtor no more stories and vo.
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Does this guy have a fake hair and beard stored away or something? Because I swear the last time I saw him on any videos, he had hair on his head, and other times a beard too.
  • RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238
    Originally posted by Enigmatus
    Does this guy have a fake hair and beard stored away or something? Because I swear the last time I saw him on any videos, he had hair on his head, and other times a beard too.

No, but they do make things called 'electric razors' these days which can remove unwanted hair. Pretty amazing, eh? (JK)

Overall I think this is great news. Hopefully Ohlen is next.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Rednecksith
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

No, but they do make things called 'electric razors' these days which can remove unwanted hair. Pretty amazing, eh? (JK)

Overall I think this is great news. Hopefully Ohlen is next.

Okay, but he better not pull a Superman on me and slap on a fake beard and wig to prove otherwise.

*squints beadily at Daniel Erickson*

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
         About time Bioware cleans house on TOR......... and I"m glad they started top down.. The problems with TOR have nothing to do with the peon's at Bioware, it was the  executive decisions that FAILED in my opinion..  Daniel, this month you are the weakest link.. goodbye.. lol  SWTOR could actually make money with turning it into a reality TV survior show.. Who gets voted off the island next? 
    Originally posted by Rydeson
         About time Bioware cleans house on TOR......... and I"m glad they started top down.. The problems with TOR have nothing to do with the peon's at Bioware, it was the  executive decisions that FAILED in my opinion..  Daniel, this month you are the weakest link.. goodbye.. lol  SWTOR could actually make money with turning it into a reality TV survior show.. Who gets voted off the island next? 

I'm guessing that the 200+ staff laid off in the first round of layoffs would disagree with your top-down categorizaton. The staff laid off in the second round of layoffs would probably agree with those laid off in the first round. The staff laid off in the third round...

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852
    Originally posted by tiefighter25

I'm guessing that the 200+ staff laid off in the first round of layoffs would disagree with your top-down categorizaton. The staff laid off in the second round of layoffs would probably agree with those laid off in the first round. The staff laid off in the third round...

Those two things aren't related..  I'm not defending TOR, but it is common in the MMO industry to lay off many of the staff after a game launches and development size is no longer needed..  Even if TOR didn't lose most of their subscribers as quick as they did, those layoffs were going to happen, fail or success..  I'm just saying It's nice to see that sh**t rolls up hill...  MMO staffing is alot like pre-season football.. You have 3+ years to impress the boss, because after launch, many will get cut from the team and they know it..  It's just the nature of the beast..

• mikahrmikahr Member Posts: 1,066

Those two things aren't related..  I'm not defending TOR, but it is common in the MMO industry to lay off many of the staff after a game launches and development size is no longer needed..  Even if TOR didn't lose most of their subscribers as quick as they did, those layoffs were going to happen, fail or success..  I'm just saying It's nice to see that sh**t rolls up hill...  MMO staffing is alot like pre-season football.. You have 3+ years to impress the boss, because after launch, many will get cut from the team and they know it..  It's just the nature of the beast..

Except BW intended to KEEP all those people and James Ohlen repeated it in almost every interview through launch time.

There are now 3 waves BECAUSE SWTOR failed and they are cutting down expenses, but it still loses money so they opted for freemiun conversion, and next step will be maintenance mode.

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by mikahr

Except BW intended to KEEP all those people and James Ohlen repeated it in almost every interview through launch time.

There are now 3 waves BECAUSE SWTOR failed and they are cutting down expenses, but it still loses money so they opted for freemiun conversion, and next step will be maintenance mode.

these layoffs are making me thing that we might not see f2p and this game might shutdown on or before december