Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost nobody is talking in chat

12345679»

Comments

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey

If you don't like having other people around you that influence your gameplay, then you really shouldn't be playing an MMO. You especially shouldn't be playing an MMO and then yelling at all the people who are fans of MMO when the game has a flaw.

I never said I don't like other people around me that influence. However, I would not stop every single step when someone run pass me to say hello and chat up a storm. I said in my chat, I joined a guild with people I previously do not know. I socialize with them in the guild chat also voip for the guild. I am chatting on voip, reading guild/party/say/whisper chat while  gaming. I think I am social enough in a MMO.

• UkiahUkiah Member Posts: 273
    Originally posted by spizz
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

Not at all. /M is quite active and /T is in WvWvW.

• HyperwolfHyperwolf Member UncommonPosts: 120

There is not a lot of map channel chat on our server although I am Australian and so play in a time zone that's going to be quieter anyway. GW2 is a pretty action intensive game and VoIP is so much better that I logon to that everytime I get online and chat with guildmates. I type too fast for most people anyway and so type chat is frustrating. 

You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks
    ~ WC

• chefdiablochefdiablo Member Posts: 202

If I join a guild I will participate in many forms of conversation.

When I pvp I prefer the use of Vent or Teamspeak as a means of communication.

When I am soloing or just playing at a leisurely pace I have no use for chat and rarely even pay attention to anything in the chat box unless I am struggling to find a Vista or POI that is not obvious. At that point I usually will watch the chat to see a dozen people beg the rest of the map for solution.

I always thank someone that rezzes my corpse if I die, which is thankfully not too often now that I understand the synergy of the traits and such much better.

I am noticing that the large group Zerg that plagued the early days has now moved on and I am now seeing something closer to a f2p atmosphere. Individual players are racing into caves for a POI training mobs rather than kill them. Recently while after I started a quest chain another player and I downed a Champion mob and once he was dead that person quickly made an escape while aggroing a pile onto me as he bolted out of there. I see plenty of bots on my travels as well.

These little things are certainly the downside to a B2P model. The botters will likely get banned at some point but the mindless indifference towards dragging a train of mobs onto people is probably going to increase as the population of the servers spreads out further and as more and more players move on to other games or back to their main MMO.

When the community settles down and player base that is going to play GW2 as an everyday game begins to emerge I expect the chat to become more lively. I imagine that there are plenty of players crashing alts through some maps as quickly as they can as well. The time for chat is limited when many players are in a mad dash through already familiar content.

Last but not least. I talk to my wife while I am playing as she sits just a few feet away. I do not ignore her because that would be dangerous.

• ZebladeZeblade Member UncommonPosts: 931

Well not chatting has nothing to do with grouping. Been in so many other mmos and never group and chat going none stop. I was looking for the "on my server they talk all the time" and lol I found some. Then they have to add.. might be the zone. Pffft 

Have them post the server and transfer its still free I think and watch no chat lol.  My son plays on dragron* and I guess he must still be in the wrong zone. They do talk sometimes in overflow. Only chat I have ever seen and I have been on so many servers since it takes seconds to change they went on and about how fish cant drown and 5-7 people in overflow happy to be trolls. 

And saying anything about "Bring up politics or religion for a quick fix on that".. so far they get really upset. They started talking about Obama and 2 min later got mad and then went on for 1/2 about fish. WOOT USA!

• JustsomenoobJustsomenoob Member UncommonPosts: 880

I play on Tarnished Coast the RP server.

Lots of talking in map chat!

and no people aren't RPing in map chat heh.

• evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270

Not having that problem on Sea of Sorrows, maybe Aussies are just more chatty.

I noticed on many previous MMOs that the Aussie and Euro servers were far more chatty.

• AsboAsbo Member UncommonPosts: 812
    Originally posted by spizz
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

We are all using TS in our guild all the chatting is done in there and guild chat is used lots too for folks not wanting to use TS. However map chat is used very little.

Bandit

Asbo

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Justsomenoob

I play on Tarnished Coast the RP server.

Lots of talking in map chat!

and no people aren't RPing in map chat heh.

Good freaking lord, THIS ISN"T ABOUT MAP CHAT.

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

The main chat in MMORPG's is generally 90% utter GARBAGE, 6% spam and 4% actual quality chat.  I don't exactly mind if people are too busy having fun to troll each other in chat.

That being said, the chat on Tarnished Coast isn't bad at all -- however I do see more people speaking in /say, sometimes in RP most times not, than in the general chat.  Again, not a bad thing in my opinion.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• Zeref.DyverZeref.Dyver Member Posts: 270

I'm not sure what game or server you are playing on... I play on Darkhaven, currently level 58, and throught the entire game map chat has been full of people talking, and my guild has been full of people talking. Heck, it flys by so fast that I miss a lot of it, and I even have guildies asking how to turn map chat off so they can see all the guild chat better. I even get a lot of people talking to me in regular /say.

Not sure what you mean.