Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

PS2 is a Disappointment

2

Comments

  • Goll25Goll25 bath, PAPosts: 187Member
    To this forum, I am not sure what isn't a disappointment anymore.
  • WicoaWicoa LondonPosts: 1,602Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Goll25
    To this forum, I am not sure what isn't a disappointment anymore.

    This forum does seem to follow the wave of what is general gamer opinion by way of migration and mass dumping and theres one exception,WoW, its still the most popular mmorpg.

    I will say it doesnt seem like the off spring of planetside except for the factions. Though I am willing to wait it out to see.  Got my eye on Hawken now thanks to bill.

  • UsualSuspectUsualSuspect CardiffPosts: 1,243Member
    Originally posted by Sovrath

    Can I assume that you guys are saying this stuff to the developers? Perhaps bringing up why Planet Side 1 was great?

    I make posts on the beta forums, yes. There are actually a lot of posts on the forums about lack of motivation, how it seems pointless fighting back and fore if it stays a stalemate forever. People are becoming very disenchanted with the game the longer they play it, which isn't good considering it isn't even released yet. If they don't make some changes to the core gameplay the game is going to bomb very quickly and I doubt they'd even get their investment back, considering it's completely free to play.

  • morbuskabismorbuskabis RodonPosts: 290Member

    I played PS2 for a bit and I'm not impressed. Would love to see PS1 with new shiny skin (better engine)but the same would go for DAoC... so not sure if I just start to think that in the past every thing was better, and/or I'm just getting old.

    image -Massive-Industries- Heavy Duty

  • SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon

    I don't know when beta tests stopped being actual tests and turned into free trials. To see companies like Blizzard and SOE actually TEST the games is refreshing. Too bad the general gaming public expects these free trials, maybe a lot of these people should look up what it means to beta TEST...

     

    Just saying.

    That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

  • IAmMMOIAmMMO LondonPosts: 1,333Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by UsualSuspect
    Originally posted by Thane

    maybe that's why they call it beta and not release?

    jesus... some people will never get it...

    The beta argument would have been a good one, and one I would have agreed with and been content to just wait out the problems, but as I said before, the moment they lifted the NDA they're happy for people to judge the game as it is. Why would you risk that on an inferior product? It just says to me that this is what we can expect, they'll tweak a few things, bring the locked certifications online, then call it done.

     

    It's not an inferior product. You're mistaking reality with your opinion.

  • ArclanArclan Chicago, ILPosts: 1,494Member Uncommon


    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    I liked PS1 for the first couple of months it was out. There were some balance issues with the different sides but otherwise it was fun. Even with PS1 though it was fairly pointless overall. We would run a group who would purposely sneak in and capture all the bases the enemy wasn't at and when enough of their forces came over we'd go back and recapture the original one we were attacking. That was what PS was. I was excited when they initially announced PS2 but then they said cash shop shortly thereafter and I stopped following it all together. I'm not surprised there isn't a lot of enjoyment there and that they managed to make it worse than the first. Back then there weren't a lot of good 32x32 or 64x64 player team FPS games that had infantry, air and mechanized units all in one which is what part of the draw to PS was. But now there are games like BF and a couple other franchises that do this and do it better than PS ever did (although the newest BF is pretty awful). So why play one that has a chash shop that is worse??

    Well said, and I agree with some of your post. I disagree that BF and PS are in the same genre. The former is a FPS frag fest where 15 versus 15 is the norm. The latter is more like a war where 100 versus 100 is the norm. 15 minute base captures feel epic wherease 30 second flag captures seem tedious. Getting certifications and awards for various professions is more immersive than clicking on medic/engineer/soldier in BF. They are entirely different games.

    Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

  • D_TOXD_TOX Brighton.Posts: 269Member Uncommon
    It sounds to me like PS2 is a game that requires team-work and group play to get the most out of it. I can imagine it seems like a big zerg borefest when you log on casually to 'play for a few hours'. Of course it does. You have no connection with any other players. I imagine joining an outfit and/or playing with friends however, making use of the variety of classes/vehicles/weaponry in conjunction with another, i imagine this is what brings the most enjoyment out of PS2. Just my 2 cents. 
  • SnarlingWolfSnarlingWolf Thereiam, ARPosts: 2,697Member
    Originally posted by Arclan

     


    Originally posted by SnarlingWolf
    I liked PS1 for the first couple of months it was out. There were some balance issues with the different sides but otherwise it was fun. Even with PS1 though it was fairly pointless overall. We would run a group who would purposely sneak in and capture all the bases the enemy wasn't at and when enough of their forces came over we'd go back and recapture the original one we were attacking. That was what PS was.

     

     

    I was excited when they initially announced PS2 but then they said cash shop shortly thereafter and I stopped following it all together. I'm not surprised there isn't a lot of enjoyment there and that they managed to make it worse than the first.

     

    Back then there weren't a lot of good 32x32 or 64x64 player team FPS games that had infantry, air and mechanized units all in one which is what part of the draw to PS was. But now there are games like BF and a couple other franchises that do this and do it better than PS ever did (although the newest BF is pretty awful). So why play one that has a chash shop that is worse??


     

    Well said, and I agree with some of your post. I disagree that BF and PS are in the same genre. The former is a FPS frag fest where 15 versus 15 is the norm. The latter is more like a war where 100 versus 100 is the norm. 15 minute base captures feel epic wherease 30 second flag captures seem tedious. Getting certifications and awards for various professions is more immersive than clicking on medic/engineer/soldier in BF. They are entirely different games.

     Getting certifications is 1) nothing new and 2) only interesting the first time. After you're certified it is just the same old same old shooting game. America's Army did certifications for classes and it actually made some of the certifications hard enough that some people never achieved them.

     

    Like I said, the newest BF was a failure. I was in the beta and I (and many many others) let them know everywhere they were going wrong but they released that steaming pile just like all companies do after beta. Betas don't mean anything anymore.

     

    Also almost all of the different war games that have mechanized, air, and infantry can be made to host servers that are 128v128 so it is no different that planetside can do 100v100. Unless PS2 was going to make it hundreds and hundreds, even possibly a thousand or more, people in close proximity with real time battles, there is no point to playing an "MMO" version over a regular version of the same thing. Especially when the regualar version has a box price and then no other costs.

  • ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member
    Planetside is a persistent world

    All those other games you mention are timed matches

    That is the big difference, the war goes on whether you are there or not.
  • UsualSuspectUsualSuspect CardiffPosts: 1,243Member
    Originally posted by D_TOX
    It sounds to me like PS2 is a game that requires team-work and group play to get the most out of it. I can imagine it seems like a big zerg borefest when you log on casually to 'play for a few hours'. Of course it does. You have no connection with any other players. I imagine joining an outfit and/or playing with friends however, making use of the variety of classes/vehicles/weaponry in conjunction with another, i imagine this is what brings the most enjoyment out of PS2. Just my 2 cents. 

    You'd think so, but it doesn't seem to be so. I was on NC and every night a guy called Tactus would organise a platoon with all talking over voice chat, picking targets and working out plans of attack. But I still came away from it feeling like it was all pointless. The problem is that taking bases and outposts happens so fast that all the work the platoon had done was gone ten minutes after we'd moved on to another target. It only takes one person to go back and capture those outposts, thus creating a link to a base, where he either takes it himself or a small platoon come in and take over.

    And there's no warning of this happening, nothing shows up on the map until the territory is no longer yours - and even if it did, by the time you'd organized a defence the base will have been captured anyway because the capture time is so short. This is one thing I hope they fix before release as at the moment the whole game is, as has been quoted in other forum posts, 'whack-a-mole' with bases.

  • Superman0XSuperman0X San Jose, CAPosts: 1,603Member Uncommon

    A quick update.

     

    They added more servers, and then lowered the max number of players per contintent (~500) for Pax. This greatly improved performance, but lowered the numbers in fights. Because of this the fights have been much more dynamic, with low pop sides losing territory (down to just warpgate). When there are larger numbers, the fighting is more static, as it is harder to push anyone back.

     

    I would suggest that they look at higher resource costs for things, as it seems like you are pretty much unlimited at this time (for all practical puposes). That would also make it more important to retain resources.

     

     

  • kiltakkiltak Austin, TXPosts: 103Member

    I sat down to day and to give Planetside 2 a whirl and by time I logged off I wanted to rip my eye balls out of there socket. I spent more time walking and trying to get to locations then I actually did I playing. I mean they give you an instant action button but it has a cool down.  

    I'm not saying that I won't play the game when it launches however right now I have to agree the game is all over the placey. Also this game is in a serious need of a tutorial.

  • raykorraykor Seattle, WAPosts: 326Member

    Planetside is my favorite video game…ever…period.  I played the original on-and-off over eight years.  I cannot emphasize how badly I want PS2 to be my new game for the next decade.

    But I’ve been in the beta since the tech test and I too am not enjoying it.  I haven’t logged in for ten days.  Even for free, I just have no desire to keep playing.

    BUT…this is a true beta!  I am not at all giving up.  I keep an eye on the beta forums and the patch notes.  I sincerely hope the final product is something I will enjoy but they have made it clear that this is not as much a sequel as a reinterpretation of the original.  I am fully preparing myself for the fact that this reinterpretation is simply not for me.

  • Superman0XSuperman0X San Jose, CAPosts: 1,603Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by kiltak

    I sat down to day and to give Planetside 2 a whirl and by time I logged off I wanted to rip my eye balls out of there socket. I spent more time walking and trying to get to locations then I actually did I playing. I mean they give you an instant action button but it has a cool down.  

    I'm not saying that I won't play the game when it launches however right now I have to agree the game is all over the placey. Also this game is in a serious need of a tutorial.

     

    Your assement is spot on for a new player. The travel times/methods are really not very clear. They do have some single player travel options via a ground bike, but dont have a flying equivelant. There is also not an option for faster running for ground units. Combining this with the difficulty that new players will have on orientation will result in a huge dropoff of new players.

     

    The game needs to provide a simple (and clear) path for players to get into the action quickly, else they will quickly move on to another game. There are also problems with spawn locations... as you  can not spawn hop to the front, and sometimes randomly get kicked to an out of the way station.

  • fadisfadis funkg, GAPosts: 469Member

    Had to drop in...

     

    Just left a rather "epic" night raid over Zuvran.  It was pure... unadulterated... gaming... SEX. 

     

    Armor rolling in from the north.  5 different galaxies, tracked by AA fire, dropping troops across the basin... the sky a dark neon buzz of reavers and scythes.

     

    If you were there and weren't entertained - I don't think you ever will be.

  • Superman0XSuperman0X San Jose, CAPosts: 1,603Member Uncommon

    I have to say that Planetside 2 is extremely pretty. Once you get past the timing/pacing of the game (things take longer, because the world is larger) you learn to appreciate the large open world. Several times I have had to plug my laptop into my television just to show others what gameplay truly feels like.  There are times (especially during the changes in day/night cycle) where you can truly appreciate the landscape and terrain features.

     

    Large Battles are truly an interactive event. There is an ebb and flow to battles, as each side looks to get the better position on the other. I can not stress how important the use of terrain, teamwork, and combined arms are for this game. I have personally turned the tide on many battles simply by getting myself into a key location, where I can then move the battle forward. I have seen others do the same... and have given them the nod of recognition, because a single soldier can turn the battle... where the masses will stand paralyzed without this leadership.

     

    To some (perhaps many) this may seem like a boring grind over the same ground, day in, day out. However, to those that learn to appreciate it, this is a fine dance, as delicate as it is deadly. There is a sense of accomplishment you get when you work with others to win a hard fought battle, knowing that tomorrow you may lose, but that today you won.

     

     

  • ZigZagsZigZags Modesto, CAPosts: 328Member

    Im hoping that its just because its closed beta....but for now there is no grab at all. Why do I care that I am fighting? If this is supposed to be a persistent MMO, I need more story and character development to help me understand WTF I care to shoot anyone, spend resources on anything....or to even log in.

     

    The combat is OK, I hope they sharpen it up a bit. It feels a little too much like an early 2000s Halo. (I didnt like Halo very much)

    Now: Skyrim
    Later: ?
    Played: M59, UO, EQ, Runescape, DAOC, SB, EQ2, WoW, EVE, Darkfall, AoC, FFXI, FFXIV, WAR, SWTOR
    BOYCOTTING: EA/BioWare/Origin/SOE

  • bcbullybcbully Westland, MIPosts: 8,281Member Uncommon
    Never played PS1. Never even played a "real" fps on the computer. As of right now I'm very impressed. Isn't there supposed to be two more contenents?  If so the game is a long way off in terms of testing everthing. What the do have imo is pretty damn awesome.
  • BeanpuieBeanpuie Norfolk, VAPosts: 812Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Never played PS1. Never even played a "real" fps on the computer. As of right now I'm very impressed. Isn't there supposed to be two more contenents?  If so the game is a long way off in terms of testing everthing. What the do have imo is pretty damn awesome.

    Yep

     

    we will be ground pounded Esamir soon, couple months at the latest (esamir is the snow and ice continent)

     

    and then Amerish, but that one may take a while to get ready, and possibly may have that continent released after the games launch/release

     

  • NasherUKNasherUK Secret cavePosts: 476Member Common
    It does still have a few of the problems that made planetside 1 so frustrating, but it's easily the best FPS there is at the moment.  But it's still quite early beta, a lot has already changed since the tech test.
  • LexinLexin Ellenville, NYPosts: 702Member Uncommon

    I don't see myself playing this much longer. I play on East 3 and holy crap the imbalance of players. instead of exp give bonus damage to the least populated factions. They also need to balance weapons or increase the damage of the bolt action sniper cause I can't go 1v1 with another niper using a auto sniper and last 5 seconds.

     

    Pretty much weapon and faction imbalance is whats going to make me not want to play. Oh and no I wont go over to the team that has a clear advantage in the game either.

    image

  • Superman0XSuperman0X San Jose, CAPosts: 1,603Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Lexin

    I don't see myself playing this much longer. I play on East 3 and holy crap the imbalance of players. instead of exp give bonus damage to the least populated factions. They also need to balance weapons or increase the damage of the bolt action sniper cause I can't go 1v1 with another niper using a auto sniper and last 5 seconds.

     

    Pretty much weapon and faction imbalance is whats going to make me not want to play. Oh and no I wont go over to the team that has a clear advantage in the game either.

     

    This points out a common problem.

     

    Those with a bolt action sniper rifle complain that they dont have acess to the semi auto version.

    Those with a semi auto sniper rifle complain that they dont have acess to the bolt action version.

     

    The grass is always greener...

     

     

  • VahraneVahrane Alpharetta, GAPosts: 375Member
    Originally posted by fadis

    Had to drop in...

     

    Just left a rather "epic" night raid over Zuvran.  It was pure... unadulterated... gaming... SEX. 

     

    Armor rolling in from the north.  5 different galaxies, tracked by AA fire, dropping troops across the basin... the sky a dark neon buzz of reavers and scythes.

     

    If you were there and weren't entertained - I don't think you ever will be.

           I have to agree with the sentiments expressed above. Been enjoying my time in beta so far immensely!

  • AsheramAsheram Posts: 1,971Member Uncommon
    The only disappointment I have is my inability to log into the game atm.=p

    image
2
Sign In or Register to comment.