Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

[mod edit - Why don't you like TSW?]

24

Comments

  • OldTimeGamerOldTimeGamer ReadingPosts: 87Member

    I have to admit that after the Beta, and the subsequent re-invite, I felt a bit like Cassandra when I predicted that the game would not flourish but at the moment this does indeed seem to be the case.

    I'm confident that TSW could be view by people as a competent MMO - it is just a game that failed to impress me as being either coherent or enjoyable. The game appeared even less enjoyable playing through the same intitial content a second time.

    However the key issue is probably that there is no real reason for MMO players to transfer to TSW en masse.

    Unless word of mouth really starts to set TSW on fire as "must play" game it probably won't pick up either.

  • TerrorizorTerrorizor Red Beer, ABPosts: 326Member
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Such a negative poll, I don't understand the hatred some people have for this game.

    You'll have to forgive me, but I do not know how to poll for what people consider problems without listing problems.

  • BeilochBeiloch Sun City, CAPosts: 74Member

    I didn't like the combat.

    I've been playing with "hotbar combat" in MMO's for over a decade and I'm just done with new games that have that system. If a MMO doesn't have basic attacks tied to mouse clicks by default instead of being used to click and right click on the UI and world it usually ends up having 2 strikes against for me. Yes I'm sure I could rebind keys to do that or even make it so i can use a controller, but surely you can see how that just isn't the same as having combat designed to be played that way.

    I'm not making a concious decision to hate it or refuse to play a game that has it, I just don't like it anymore and no other features can compensate for it. I'm sure its partly due to playing MMO's that DO have more action oriented combat. Unfortunately those same games have no real living world to speak of mostly, if not solely, utilizing DF's and instances.

    Where's the vanilla SWG with TERA combat?

    Where's the Vindictus with SWTOR story telling?

    Where's the DCUO with GW2 DE's?

    Sorry if this is a bit 'ranty'

  • gigatgigat Minneapolis, MNPosts: 604Member Uncommon

    I didn't vote in the poll, because I purchased the game, and enjoyed most of the content up until Savage Coast.  If the option was available in the poll, I would have voted "I don't play the game because it has technical issues."

    I was trying to do some missions in Savage Coast, and had 3 missions in a row that were bugged.  When I realized the first one was bugged, I said "That's ok, I'll just move on to another one."  So I tried another one, which was also bugged... so I moved on to the next one, which was also bugged.

    At this point, I didn't really feel inclined to try another mission.  I submitted bug reports per the suggestions of other players.  They implied that a GM would assist me with the completion of the bugged missions.  I never heard from a GM or any Funcom support regarding the bugged missions, so I never completed the missions, and never logged back in.

    The fact that you can only have so many missions active at once, made this experience substantially worse.

     

    TSW is great and it has a lot of cool ideas, but it needs work.  I realize that all video games, especially MMOs, have bugs.  And I am generally a very forgiving person in regards to technical issues in software (having developed software myself for many years).  But those 3 bugged missions in a row just really ruined it for me.

    "Lose the helmet sis, we can't prove that you're retarded." - Dennis Reynolds

  • tawesstawess LkpgPosts: 2,537Member Uncommon

    crap animations and the fact that i can not afford another subscription game at this point.

     

    apart form that it si a nice game.

  • TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Worcester, MAPosts: 166Member

    Where's the option for "I feel its a cheap scam"?

    Its a singleplayer game with optional coop. Its main developer only ever made singleplayer games.

    Yet they charge a monthly fee and call it an MMO.

     

    No. If they had marketed it honestly I may have tried it. But it is NOT an MMO. Its like SWTOR, worst of both worlds.

  • wolfmannwolfmann TerraakPosts: 1,159Member

    Sub and cash shop..

    And as a Roleplayer, seeing most of my content in the cash shop, while I pay just as much as the rest of the players in subscription? *******************!!!!!!!!!!!

    imageThe last of the Trackers

  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer LisbonPosts: 415Member
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey

    Where's the option for "I feel its a cheap scam"?

    Its a singleplayer game with optional coop. Its main developer only ever made singleplayer games.

    Yet they charge a monthly fee and call it an MMO.

     

    No. If they had marketed it honestly I may have tried it. But it is NOT an MMO. Its like SWTOR, worst of both worlds.

    How is it a single player? Played like a standart themepark mmorpg from my beta experience.

    And on topic, that's the main reason i don't like it. I don't hate TP's at all, but TSW's IP and story are amazing and full of great potential for future additions.

    Unfortunatly, they decided to use the traditional structure to make it. Tons of quests until max QL (level), isntanced dungeons, "instanced" (Fusang isn't instanced, i know), pointless PVP, crafting being a side activity and endgame focused on same things we've seen before.

    This lore and world deserved to be something different from the standart mmorpg, IMHO. NO offense to the fans who like the game, but this is the main reason i'm not happy. Not saying it needs to be a normal sandbox or anything, but a different formula would be much better.

    It's a good mmo with it's fair share of flaws, it's not horrible, but it's just not what i wished it was.

  • TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Worcester, MAPosts: 166Member
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey

    Where's the option for "I feel its a cheap scam"?

    Its a singleplayer game with optional coop. Its main developer only ever made singleplayer games.

    Yet they charge a monthly fee and call it an MMO.

     

    No. If they had marketed it honestly I may have tried it. But it is NOT an MMO. Its like SWTOR, worst of both worlds.

    How is it a single player? Played like a standart themepark mmorpg from my beta experience.

    And themeparks have been getting more and more singleplayer oriented each year. How is it singleplayer? Well you have the small instanced zones and the linear progression and no mechanics to encourage socializing or community. Its essentially playing a scripted singleplayer game that you pull in people for small scale coop now and then.

    Nothing you do has any impact on the world because its all instanced, so there's no real point to the quests. If I wanted a scripted horror game I'd play a singleplayer game.

  • paroxysmparoxysm Nowhere, INPosts: 437Member
    Originally posted by Terrorizor
    Originally posted by paroxysm
    Originally posted by Terrorizor

     but your opinion isn't going to tell US why people aren't buying the game. (unless you know a large number of people that refuse to buy it and are speaking for them)

    Who is the "us" in that sentence?

    The people that are reading it and looking at the results of the poll.  I would say everybody, but not everybody is reading this thread. 

    Do I need to elaborate on that?

    It was the way you said it.  It made me wonder if there was someone other than yourself behind the question.  It was a question of who you were representing in asking such a question.

    You answered it sufficiently.

  • quasar941quasar941 Binghamton, NYPosts: 159Member

    When you first try a new game, everything is new and exciting because you're still trying to figure everything out. After playing for a while, you finally start to "get it" and you settle into the process of enjoying the game.

     

    Sometimes after playing for a while you discover that the game just isn't as much fun as you thought it was going to be. It took me 5 years to reach that point with WoW, four months with Vanguard, two to three weeks with AoC, a month with Rift, and two hours with TSW. I played through 3 beta weekends and one free play weekend and I still hadn't found the first thing about the game that made me want to run out and buy it. The last free weekend I didn't even bother because I knew I would be wasting my time on a game that I genuinely didn't like.

     

    There's no single thing that sticks out as the feature that I liked the least, but there are a bunch of little ones. I didn't like the animations. I didn't like the combat. I didn't like the character customization options. I didn't like how difficult it was to move around without fighting your way through swarms of 3+ mobs. I hated the insanely wide aggro ranges. Some of the investigation quests were fun but none of them could hold a candle to the type of puzzle solving I am used to from single player RPGs. I didn't like the "class-less system", I would much rather play specialized characters than one that tries to be everything. I didn't like the ridiculously over-the-top, non-interactive voice overs, I found them highly annoying and completely immersion-breaking because the dialog was not natural or believable as something that ordinary people placed in an extraordinary situation would say. I didn't like the quest restrictions because they had me running over the same areas again and again fighting through the same packs of mobs that I had already killed a dozen times.

     

    In general, I found it tedious, linear and not very interesting (or fun), which is really sad when you consider that I still play and enjoy FC's older game, Anarchy Online, which is 12 years old with 20 people left playing.

  • MMOwandererMMOwanderer LisbonPosts: 415Member
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey
    Originally posted by MMOwanderer
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey

    And themeparks have been getting more and more singleplayer oriented each year. How is it singleplayer? Well you have the small instanced zones and the linear progression and no mechanics to encourage socializing or community. Its essentially playing a scripted singleplayer game that you pull in people for small scale coop now and then.

    Nothing you do has any impact on the world because its all instanced, so there's no real point to the quests. If I wanted a scripted horror game I'd play a singleplayer game.

    Fair enough. I was just pointing out that it didn't feel any more single player to me compared to standart themeparks. I went to the "mini" quest hub, got my mission and went on my way like other players around me. The only difference is that i got a cutscene instead of a boring quest text.

    But i do agree with you on your points. Like i said, i really wish this awesome IP wasn't used for another TP.

  • Eir_SEir_S Argyle, NYPosts: 4,623Member

    I didn't vote, because there was no poll option that said "Because regardless of technical aspects, the game looked and played "ugly"

    Besides, I'm done with sub games unless something really blows me away.

  • saxifrsaxifr East Hartford, CTPosts: 381Member Common

    1. Funcom is a greedy unethcial company

    2. They've had years to perfect their model and products and the best they can produce is trash like TSW

    3. They are utterly constitutionally incapable of keeping a promise or doing what they say they are going to do

    When this company goes bankrupt and goes out of business, and some of its prinicpals are in jail for insider training or find another line of work, it will only be a good thing for the MMO genre

     

    RELAX!@!! BREATHE!!!

  • KeyloggerKeylogger Bumblefuck, TNPosts: 250Member

    What I liked:

    Combat
    Skill System
    Missions (WONDERFUL!)
    World detail
    Atmosphere
    Graphics

    What I didn't like:
    Quantity of content
    No way to reset skill points
    No point in alternate characters
    Little to no social interaction
    Poor chat and guild UI
    Poor AH UI
    Poor UI in general
    Nvidia lining pockets so developers neglect ATI cards specifically on an engine (AOC's) that is already tried and tested. I shouldn't have to "fix" things at a driver level myself.


    I know the game is dead from their pushing back the content updates, nomatter what happens otherwise - that's it. It's done, over, zip, zero, nada. I could deal with a low population niche game otherwise. But not one that you can EQ1 your way through in a week and do nothing but repeat missions you did three days ago. I played AoC for six months, and Anarchy Online for five years. I would've thought by now they learned a thing or to.

  • paroxysmparoxysm Nowhere, INPosts: 437Member
    Originally posted by Keylogger

    No way to reset skill points
    No point in alternate characters

    Just wanted to touch on this a little.

    That is one of the sell points of the skill wheel.  You can/will eventually get all skills unlocked.  The system also allowed you to pick and choose combinations you wanted.

    The caveat to that is, if you chose a path and really didn't like it, you had to keep using it to unlock new things to try.  You either kept going or made a new character.  A new character that would eventually unlock everything.

     

    The same problem could be said of the issue with chosing your skills.  You are allowed to pick and choose what you like.  But, someone in the group has to pick certain skills for certain encounters.  So, that freedom to pick and swap is also not quite true freedom.

  • KeyloggerKeylogger Bumblefuck, TNPosts: 250Member


    Originally posted by paroxysm
    Originally posted by Keylogger No way to reset skill points No point in alternate characters
    Just wanted to touch on this a little.

    That is one of the sell points of the skill wheel.  You can/will eventually get all skills unlocked.  The system also allowed you to pick and choose combinations you wanted.

    The caveat to that is, if you chose a path and really didn't like it, you had to keep using it to unlock new things to try.  You either kept going or made a new character.  A new character that would eventually unlock everything.

     

    The same problem could be said of the issue with chosing your skills.  You are allowed to pick and choose what you like.  But, someone in the group has to pick certain skills for certain encounters.  So, that freedom to pick and swap is also not quite true freedom.



    True, the skill wheel in theory did solve that issue - but given the way I play I would've maxed everything out regardless, letting me reset glaring mistakes on my primary (or only as the case may be) isn't going to change anything other than how much I enjoy playing what I am at that given moment.


    Anarchy Online had a similar, though in my opinion better implemented skill system with a certain amount of resets. Leveling took alot longer, and character development more detailed - in the end the limitation on resets only served to hurt the system itself.


    These huge skill trees that allow for freeform experimentation, stat allocation and play styles are a great idea. Until you gimp them purposefully in a misguided attempt to stagnate said experimentation.

  • Pratt2112Pratt2112 Posts: 1,538Member Uncommon

    I didn't stop for any specific reason. I actually like everything about the game itself. The setting, etc. I guess if I had to narrow it down, I'd say it just didn't have that "keeping" power for me.  I just sorta lost the desire to log in after a while and realized it wasn't worth continuing my sub for a game I wasn't playing.

    It's not even a matter of "if they went F2P", because the subscription has absolutely nothing to do with it. If I'm willing to play the game, I'm willing to pay for it. No problem there.

    I have nothing specific against the game, though.

  • BrotherDBrotherD AlbertslundPosts: 52Member
    Originally posted by paroxysm

    2.  Combat was not good.

    3.  PvP was horrible and boring very quickly.

    4.  Crafting was quite possibly the worst I've ever seen.

    6.  Character creation was not good enough for a game made to let you look how you wanted to look.

    7.  Lack of depth in equipment.

     

    1.  I liked the setting. 

    2.  I liked the skill wheel even though I knew it was just a new look and would lose it's flair. 

    3. I liked the missions.

    The bad out weighed the good.  I knew the game would not keep my interest very long at all and was not worth the investment to me.

     

    Can second these. Greatest atmosphere I ever seen in a MMO but bacically a very poor Themepark MMO.

    Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

  • SirmakiSirmaki Nashville, TNPosts: 117Member Common

    I was a huge fan all through out development. But in the end it was just another MMO. I still think it has huge potential, but I burned out in beta. The setting was awesome, I wanted to learn all the story, but it was just another MMO.

     

    I guess in the end I am just going to have to take a break from MMOs. I may yet come back to it, as I hate to see non-fantasy mmos not get attention.

  • paroxysmparoxysm Nowhere, INPosts: 437Member
    Originally posted by Keylogger

     


    Originally posted by paroxysm

    Originally posted by Keylogger No way to reset skill points No point in alternate characters
    Just wanted to touch on this a little.

     

    That is one of the sell points of the skill wheel.  You can/will eventually get all skills unlocked.  The system also allowed you to pick and choose combinations you wanted.

    The caveat to that is, if you chose a path and really didn't like it, you had to keep using it to unlock new things to try.  You either kept going or made a new character.  A new character that would eventually unlock everything.

     

    The same problem could be said of the issue with chosing your skills.  You are allowed to pick and choose what you like.  But, someone in the group has to pick certain skills for certain encounters.  So, that freedom to pick and swap is also not quite true freedom.


     


    True, the skill wheel in theory did solve that issue - but given the way I play I would've maxed everything out regardless, letting me reset glaring mistakes on my primary (or only as the case may be) isn't going to change anything other than how much I enjoy playing what I am at that given moment.


    Anarchy Online had a similar, though in my opinion better implemented skill system with a certain amount of resets. Leveling took alot longer, and character development more detailed - in the end the limitation on resets only served to hurt the system itself.


    These huge skill trees that allow for freeform experimentation, stat allocation and play styles are a great idea. Until you gimp them purposefully in a misguided attempt to stagnate said experimentation.

     

    You hit on it a little.  It's why I said the skill wheel is just a new look.  It's not truly a new system.  You can unlock them all, but not use them all at once.  You are still limited in what you can have at any one time.  Sort of like using a reset.  You just aren't limited to a single tree/class/spec or a number of resets.

    AO had a lot of good ideas and a lot of poor implementation that not many have really even tried to copy.  Even FUncom themselves in their other games.  Though, I did have a laugh when I saw TSW was adding rocket launchers.  What next? Mechs?  Worse move than shadowlands.  Mechs were horrible.

    AO had stat issues because some of them didn't work correctly, some of them were not well understood by even FUncom staff(add all def/off), and some were never replaced/updated(parry & riposte).  Map nav was also a fiasco.  Throw in horribly thought out class templates based on outdated and never updated ideas, poor understanding by devs of game mechanics(what do you mean mobs don't have stats?), and perk imbalance(mongo rage for example) and you have a huge mess.

    WoW also stagnated experimentation in spec trees.  Look at old skill trees and compare them to MoP ones.  Look at what they did to Death Knights trees when people first tried dual wield.  GC and company are hell bent on removing choice in order to make balance easier.  But, because how they go about it, how encounters are designed, and lack of anything other than tunnel vision, they are no closer to balance now than they were in vanilla.

  • TheocritusTheocritus Gary, INPosts: 3,763Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by quasar941

    When you first try a new game, everything is new and exciting because you're still trying to figure everything out. After playing for a while, you finally start to "get it" and you settle into the process of enjoying the game.

     

    Sometimes after playing for a while you discover that the game just isn't as much fun as you thought it was going to be. It took me 5 years to reach that point with WoW, four months with Vanguard, two to three weeks with AoC, a month with Rift, and two hours with TSW. I played through 3 beta weekends and one free play weekend and I still hadn't found the first thing about the game that made me want to run out and buy it. The last free weekend I didn't even bother because I knew I would be wasting my time on a game that I genuinely didn't like.

     

    There's no single thing that sticks out as the feature that I liked the least, but there are a bunch of little ones. I didn't like the animations. I didn't like the combat. I didn't like the character customization options. I didn't like how difficult it was to move around without fighting your way through swarms of 3+ mobs. I hated the insanely wide aggro ranges. Some of the investigation quests were fun but none of them could hold a candle to the type of puzzle solving I am used to from single player RPGs. I didn't like the "class-less system", I would much rather play specialized characters than one that tries to be everything. I didn't like the ridiculously over-the-top, non-interactive voice overs, I found them highly annoying and completely immersion-breaking because the dialog was not natural or believable as something that ordinary people placed in an extraordinary situation would say. I didn't like the quest restrictions because they had me running over the same areas again and again fighting through the same packs of mobs that I had already killed a dozen times.

     

    In general, I found it tedious, linear and not very interesting (or fun), which is really sad when you consider that I still play and enjoy FC's older game, Anarchy Online, which is 12 years old with 20 people left playing.

         Excellent post...Pretty much exactly how I felt when I played....Whats funny is I am still one of those 20 in AO lol (froob tho)

  • fallenlordsfallenlords NottinghamPosts: 680Member

    People who knew anything about MMO's knew about Funcom as a company.   A lot of people I think were hoping and willing to see if the company had changed.   You have an odd scenario here, a company that produces good games but then almost goes into self sabotage mode once the games are released.

  • ZylaxxZylaxx Erlanger, KYPosts: 2,574Member
    I loved TSW leveling up but it just cant justify its subscription model with such an asanine, boring and bland endgame model that is 100% identical to WoW/Rift/SWTOR but without the raids and without the dungeon finder.

    Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

    Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

    image

  • WizardryWizardry Ontario, CanadaPosts: 8,467Member Uncommon

    I already mentioned why the game did not appeal to me before ,however i will chime in on something i notice in gaming.

    What i notice is a LOT of people seem to use Characters models as an excuse when in reality EVERY single game uses pretty much the exact same quality models.The rest is just tattoos,decals ,hair color/styles really not a lot that is worth not playing a game over.

    The other FACT is that other than JUST the face,your entire MODEL is covered in gear ,so why would something you can't even see be a problem?

    It baffles to me look at ONLY one possible answer,they really are not interested in a new game and just stretching for any reason to not play.

    Combat i find is a very good reason and to be honest i don't even remember combat,so i can't even comment on it,as i was not in the game long enough.

    Just to rehash VERY quickly ,without a long post,i find Funcom is stuck creating games that feel like single player games.They NEED to get a grasp for what a MMO SHOUDL be about,and no that does not mean copy other games just becuase those other games have success.Success is imo never a simple theory,i find marketing and hype and misleading PR goes a LONG way above the actual quality of a game.


    Samoan Diamond

Sign In or Register to comment.