Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[mod edit - Why don't you like TSW?]

Why is it that TSW has at least eleven (I'm sure there is more but we mainly hear from those particular ones   ;P ) really satisfied players while the majority of mmo players won't even bother to try it.  What is the repelling factor with this game?  There is apparantly a fairly high retention rate (as Funcom stated in their reports) but people aren't bothering to pick it up. They've stated that they are determined to "stick with the subscription model" and I think that is a smart move because I'm actually wondering if this game would be able to make it as F2P.

So why are people not buying TSW?  And please remember that this thread is here to give insight into what is stopping people from purchasing, lets not turn it into a flame war just because someone has a point of view about TSW that you disagree with.

Comments

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    I changed the title to be less inflammatory. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278

EU sub price is about £12.99 per month, when most are £8.99/£9.99

Too busy playing existing MMOs to get stuck into something else. You start playing other MMOs, like SWTOR, then when get bored one of your other favourite MMOs close down. So now not got neither MMO to play. I should have just kept playing City of Herioes, and ignored SWTOR until Nov or Dec 2012

I am only going to start playing NEW MMOs when I really am 100% totally bored of the old ones, or if a NEW one really is better than the current ones playing, like a MMO that is like SWG and/or even better.

Also ater SWTOR, being cautious with how well it does. If there is a free trial will at least try it - only way to find out if it is going to be any good. I am definately not jumping in and buying MMOs from launch any more, except if it is called SWG 2!

MMOs shut down, and the latest trend seems to be shutting down MMOs when in full swing, with updates being worked and game relatively thriving. Could go buy it, then by the time it downloads or arrives in post, it gets announced to shut down.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    many just never heard about to tbh.. out of all the people I know that are gamers which is about 30 people only a single person even heard about the game before I started talking about it. After that the couple I got to play beta all had the same complaints.. character models were ugly and combat just didn't "feel" right.

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• tort0429tort0429 Member UncommonPosts: 297

I like the game and am playing both GW2 and TSW.   But the two biggest reason I've heard for not trying it is the monthly fee and  the combat.  

With gw2 being a quality product and no montly fee, I think people are questioning the monthly fee model more now.

Should be interesting to see how this all pans out down the road.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751

DIdnt like TSW because:

1. Too story driven...There were way too many cutscenes...IT felt like I was playing a single player game and I had no interaction in that game

2. The combat/animations were awful......It just never felt right....FElt like mobs were fainting instead of dying....Too many of the skills were totally worthless

3. While the environment was nice in some places, it was terrible in others.....NY/Tokyo/London should have ben much more epic and more involved....

4. Intangibles - Right from the start the game had a very short term feel to it....I dont know if it was simply because it was so story driven or what, but it felt like the game would be over in less than a month.....Also I felt zero immersion in this game...I think its because I felt like I was watching a movie

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I do like it
    I just like gw2 more
  • TerrorizorTerrorizor Member Posts: 326
    Originally posted by Amana
    I changed the title to be less inflammatory. 

Sorry. I wanted the title to grab attention (of course) and TSW is definately hurting/failing so I didn't think it would be inaccurate, but I did not intend it to be inflammatory.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437

1.  I do not like or trust FUncom. (former AO player)

2.  Combat was not good.

3.  PvP was horrible and boring very quickly.

4.  Crafting was quite possibly the worst I've ever seen.

5.  Box sale + Sub + Cash shop == greedy

6.  Character creation was not good enough for a game made to let you look how you wanted to look.

7.  Lack of depth in equipment.

8.  Poor guild tools. 

9.  Not much at all to promote community.

1.  I liked the setting. 

2.  I liked the skill wheel even though I knew it was just a new look and would lose it's flair. 

3. I liked the missions.

The bad out weighed the good.  I knew the game would not keep my interest very long at all and was not worth the investment to me.

• RenoakuRenoaku Member EpicPosts: 3,157

Because FunCom is no better than Enmasse Entertainment, even worse than TERA.

1. The loading time for the game takes slightly long anything greater than 3-5 seconds is too long for me.

2. Lack of Character Customization on release, and then wanting me to pay subscription and even have to pay to change my characters appearance on default items I already paid for in the box subscription.

3. Because of the release of this game and no Fix's to the loading time when I last played plus the lack of customer support having to create a new account name to login to the game because they wouldnt give support to fix the issue, and then releasing a game which was not even completed it was pretty sad.

I quit within the 30 days of playing I didn't even play much at all because of these issues.

Fun Com needed to decide months ago if they were going to be Pay 2 Play, or Free 2 Play with a cash shop, not both.

They also needed to make the announcement if character recustomizations would be FREE as well if I was going to continue playing.

I do not mind paying for additional content, but the first release of all their content I was not even impressed by it, i was expectinf for a better selection at the release of the game.

• MithrandolirMithrandolir Member UncommonPosts: 1,701

I loved the setting and theme... on paper. I love HP LOvecraft and Poe, King, etc... so it seemed like a dream come true when they announced the game and concept.

Once I played the game I found that the style and implementation were complete opposites of what I like in mmorpgs. Still, I tried even after not liking what i saw in beta, I bought for headstart and played into Blue Mountain. I knew by that point that it would never mesh with me, or vice versa :(

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by Renoaku

LOADING TIME

I'm going to take a wild guess here, where I could be completely wrong - but I'm guessing that you did not run the game off of an SSD, eh?

Initially during the beta, I ran the game off of an old IDE drive that I use for betas.  ATA/133...2MB Cache...and well, I could go for a smoke and make a sandwich before some of it would load.  I moved it to another IDE drive with a better cache, and well - I could just go for the smoke.  I moved it to a SATA drive, and it got better again.  I finally moved it to my best SATA drive - still just SATA, not SATA II - and while it may have still been slow; compared to that first IDE drive - it zipped along.

So I could see where it would be faster on SATA II and that it would be even faster on an SSD...

...which is pretty much what the conclusion of the several threads during the beta on the matter of load times reached as their conclusion.

The min specs for TSW are pretty high compared to other games that were out at the time.  A machine that could run other games on high/ultra/etc - was not even min spec for TSW...

...which brings me to what I did not like about TSW.  I would have had to build two new machines so the GF and I could have played.

Box + Sub... that's nothing.  In a 12 month period, would have been looking at under $500 - which is typical - and no issue.  To play TSW though, it would have been a case of spending over $500 a machine as well to upgrade...

...and well, that would have just been silly.

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• HalandirHalandir Member UncommonPosts: 773

Did not vote since there is no: "After AoC I am not about to try a FunCom game until 6 months after release - and no I do not hate FunCom".

Will probably give the game a look in 4 months time unless I still have too much fun in other games...

We dont need casuals in our games!!! Errm... Well we DO need casuals to fund and populate our games - But the games should be all about "hardcore" because: We dont need casuals in our games!!!
    (repeat ad infinitum)

• reef22reef22 Member UncommonPosts: 85

I think you should add one more optioin like..."No, I do like TSW" on to the poll.  You never know, maybe people would vote that.

I didn't vote because I do like TSW.  Although I cancelled my sub currently because of GW2.  Eventually I'm going to re-sub maybe for a month every now and then and keep following the story line.

If I REALLY have to pick one thing that I don't like about TSW then it would be the character creation part.  Yes, TSW does offer a very wide range of clothing for  your character but they don't have nearly enough options for you to create your character at the begining.  

It's almost impossible to make a good looking character in TSW.  

I love the setting and feeling of the game.  Very good story telling.  It's different than all of the fantasy games and it's a nice break from playing fantasy setting games.

Originally posted by reef22

I think you should add one more optioin like..."No, I do like TSW" on to the poll.  You never know, maybe people would vote that.

I didn't vote because I do like TSW.  Although I cancelled my sub currently because of GW2.  Eventually I'm going to re-sub maybe for a month every now and then and keep following the story line.

If I REALLY have to pick one thing that I don't like about TSW then it would be the character creation part.  Yes, TSW does offer a very wide range of clothing for  your character but they don't have nearly enough options for you to create your character at the begining.  

It's almost impossible to make a good looking character in TSW.  

I love the setting and feeling of the game.  Very good story telling.  It's different than all of the fantasy games and it's a nice break from playing fantasy setting games.

I didn't put "I do like TSW" on the poll because it's not a poll about if a person likes TSW or not, but why a person won't buy TSW.  If you're enjoying TSW, then great and I'm happy for you, but your opinion isn't going to tell us why people aren't buying the game. (unless you know a large number of people that refuse to buy it and are speaking for them)

• ZinzanZinzan Member UncommonPosts: 1,351
    Such a negative poll, I don't understand the hatred some people have for this game.

Expresso gave me a Hearthstone beta key.....I'm so happy :)

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Such a negative poll, I don't understand the hatred some people have for this game.

It's not much different than the survey Funcom sent out to folks that participated in the beta but did not buy the game...

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    Originally posted by Renoaku

Because FunCom is no better than Enmasse Entertainment, even worse than TERA.

1. The loading time for the game takes slightly long anything greater than 3-5 seconds is too long for me.

2. Lack of Character Customization on release, and then wanting me to pay subscription and even have to pay to change my characters appearance on default items I already paid for in the box subscription.

3. Because of the release of this game and no Fix's to the loading time when I last played plus the lack of customer support having to create a new account name to login to the game because they wouldnt give support to fix the issue, and then releasing a game which was not even completed it was pretty sad.

I quit within the 30 days of playing I didn't even play much at all because of these issues.

Fun Com needed to decide months ago if they were going to be Pay 2 Play, or Free 2 Play with a cash shop, not both.

They also needed to make the announcement if character recustomizations would be FREE as well if I was going to continue playing.

I do not mind paying for additional content, but the first release of all their content I was not even impressed by it, i was expectinf for a better selection at the release of the game.

1.the loading time for the game for me is excellent..i used to play conan..now that was a loadtime in godslayer area..but in all honesty i cant complain at it.

2. i've never been one for char customization..i would rather a game be based on gameplay rather than wether or not i can make my char like like elvis or mr blobby.

3.refer to no1..and has for releasing before it was ready,well most do that inc.gw2(sorry to mention) there were loads in that game that didnt work and still dont.you just have to look at posts on here about peeps waiting a week for a skill point theyare trying to do at lvl 75.

i agree it would have been better if they chose a way  about what way they were goin to sell the game..i,e b2p,f2p.and stuck to it.although this game is lacking content i still think its the best mmo this year  by far.time will tell i suppose

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

I like TSW and most of its features but the few bits and pieces i dont like are big enough to break the deal....... character animations, combat animations, and pricing model (box + sub+ cs)...

Another thing that bothered me a lot but is not really a deal breaker is that the game has VO and cutscenes and my character is a mime..... i would prefer to watch a cutscene of 2 npc talking to each other rather than an npc talking to himself and my muted character staring at him.

• paroxysmparoxysm Member Posts: 437
    Originally posted by Terrorizor

but your opinion isn't going to tell US why people aren't buying the game. (unless you know a large number of people that refuse to buy it and are speaking for them)

Who is the "us" in that sentence?

• futnatusfutnatus Member Posts: 193

Rather than why don't you like, I guess Why aren't you playing, is more appropriate.

My reason is that my laptop can't run it, or many major games.  Plus I play with friends, none of them have shown an interest, so TSW really fell to the back of my mind.  I dont have a reason for/against it.

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

The setting and artstyle seems cool to me. The skillsystem too. But I don't think I will ever pay a sub for a game anymore. With the exception of a MMO that offers more sandboxy features in a SWG kind of style.  But it would have to be incredibly good in my eyes to warrant this payment model. I don't see this happening anytime soon though.

Atm I'm also enjoying a different MMO and even when I'm done with that, it is more likely that I will go back at playing Minecraft then any other MMO currently on the market.

Still, I would like to see The Secret World to succeed (but preferably with different payment model), if only because it offers something else then the typical high fantasy. Just so dev companies see that it is possible.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903

1) sub alone turns me off.  Store just compounds it

2) Funcom = no thanks

3) Even without a sub or store I wouldn't pay more than $30 for it

Originally posted by paroxysm
    Originally posted by Terrorizor

but your opinion isn't going to tell US why people aren't buying the game. (unless you know a large number of people that refuse to buy it and are speaking for them)

Who is the "us" in that sentence?

The people that are reading it and looking at the results of the poll.  I would say everybody, but not everybody is reading this thread. 

Do I need to elaborate on that?

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739

I like TSW, much more than most MMOs in the last 7-8 years, it does need more content though.  The content they do have is very nicely done, with good stories imo.

Haven't played it in a little bit, but keeping the sub on it, due to appriciation of the quality, of what they do have.  They just suffer from the downfall of themeparks, without some coin/token daily grind that is tedious and not real content imo.

• kevjardskevjards Member UncommonPosts: 1,452
    seen a post or two relating to sub price.now in all honesty at first glance the sub fee is high,then i got to thinking about how much people spend in one night going for a drink..in uk it would be at least 5x the sub fee..so then people dont mind buying drink that they piss down a toilet and get a hangover the next day but complain about £3 extra sub fee that will last a month..each to their own i suppose,but i still dont get it.