Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2 aint for hardcore gamers

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    It sure ain't for raiders or the poopsocking to win pvp crew, but they already have wow and its multitude of clones.

There's definetly and end game for hardcore rvr guilds though, the best since planetside.
  • JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by Justin83x
    Op's preoblem is since he can play 12 hours per day he feels he should be more powerful than players who can't. The problem with that is it creates balance issues, and starts taking the skill out of pvp. Pretty much he is a average player, and cause the game is more balance focused he can't win based on gear anymore. Which is why he is mad. Oh and just so everyone knows I'm not saying GW2 is perfectly balanced. It's just more balanced than WoW pvp.

sry to say but you're wrong i play max 4 hours each day during week and i might just play a couple of hours today

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    More and more, every time a game is released you see someone come along and post this crap. What exactly constitute a game for "Hardcore Gamer's " ? I'm positive I won't get a satisfactory answer. It's the same convoluted opinions that are thrown out when someone is asked what a " Casual Gamer" is. Stop these dumb ass posts, please. Either you're a gamer or you're not. It really boils down to how into a game you are.  If they raced through content and are bored, obviously they didn't or don't like it as much as you . Let it go.

Hardcore means huge challenge and time sink- Simple. Not "good" nor "bad".

Its also a comparitive thing. (i.e. daggerfall is far more Hardcore than Skyrim)

Hardcore in MMOs means no ezmode, real death penalty, real chance of failure, skill matters, lots of time and practice required.

Here is where I will be "attacked" by all. Personally, WOW is one of the most hardcore games CURRENTLY on the market. At least on my last play which was right at the start of BC. WOW was actually quite "hardcore" in vanilla (rather it COULD be)- I have no opinion NOW since I have not played in a while.

Anyhow, concerning WOW. Although it was accesable to casuals it offered the 40 man Raids for the harcore so it was a decent balance. But the casuals complained that they wanted the phat lootz too without having to put in the time and practice and its been adownword spiral ever since.

-And it isnt just MMOs.

Take an older version of CIV and it was HARDCORE- Take the latest version and they are incredibly "dumbed down" and nowhere near as hardcore as they once were....It doesnt mean they are not still FUN.

-Anyhow, I like both types of games. I like FPS games too and Board games- I just do not want everything merged and I want to KNOW what I am buying. If the game says "Survival Horror" I want to be scared and not strategic. If the game is casual I want a casual experience.

Too much offence being taken at a term.

EDIT/ADD- And I enjoy GW2 and think it was one of the best buys I have made this year....This isnt to be "insulting" towards anyones game.

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by Hyp47

Thats the truth, thats why we are already seeing "going back to wow" threads n stuff like "bored already" because the game has barely no grinding and makes it fairly easy to achieve things and truly hardcore players dont mind grinding because they know they'll be rewarded for all that painfull hard work and they'll also feel superior to all those players who havent got the time to get that "awesome pvp gear" other games offer... while in gw2... pretty much every1 is at the same level.

So, no doubt this is like the best mmo for any casual player who doesnt spend all the time on gaming.

That's the truth, what you are saying is 100% bullshit. It's so stupid that it makes me cry. There is something you should realize:

"going back to wow" threads n stuff like "bored already" 

Whiners are EVERYWHERE. There will be always a person that will NEVER BE HAPPY. And in MMO it's something very common. Show me one single game in entire world that have no single complain about it. Those threads are normal.

"game has barely no grinding and makes it fairly easy to achieve things"

You know, for me achivment is to win 3 vs 1 (me) in PVP. For me achivment is to take down boss by myself. For me is to take down some mob much higher lvl than me. For me achivment is to solve jumping puzzles, find treasures and stuff. For me achivment is to do something so dam epic that you people will talk about it for years ahead and there will be even internet mem about it. This is achivment. 

What kind of achivment are you talking about ? "playing 80 hours non stop" ? "kill 500 mobs" ? Games today put achivments on EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING (real achivment in real game - you advanced to second level!) and most of them are not even hard. They just take time. Stuff that only require time are stupid.

truly hardcore players dont mind grinding

Yes they do. If you are not from Korea or something I'm almost 100% sure you don't like grinding anyway.

all that painfull hard work

I'm sure that someone said it to you but just to be sure - THIS IS GAME. You know... something you do FOR FUN. This is something I want to do AFTER HARD WORK. Again - most of stuff you probably want are not hard. And are not for hardcore players. Those stuff just take time and are for nolifes. 

feel superior to all those players who havent got the time to get that "awesome pvp gear"

You know, if I win against some poor dude just because I spend 100 hours in game this week I would just feel sorry. And not for him but for myself. I won because he have life and I don't ? What kind of stupid logic is that. Is this what you want ? To feel superior because you sux in real life so you spend all your time in digital world ?

I will feel superior like hell when I will take down 3 people by myself in PVP so hard that it will make them cry and they will start from lvl 1 and learn playing this game again. This is superiority. If you kill them just because you have no life - that's just sad.

Also your view of superiority is to take down weak enemies ? What kind of superiority is that ? Go step on ant or something. Just be carefull because it might bite you. Take down enemies of your own level - that's superiority. Take down 2-3 of them at the same time. This is something to remember. Killing small fries is just pathetic.

gw2... pretty much every1 is at the same level.

Yeah, this is why Guild Wars 2 is for hardcore people. Because in GW2 you are good ONLY if you have good skills and brain. Bad gamer will be bad no mater how much time he will waste in the game. And stuff in GW2 are hard. We can start from dungeons here. They don't take 4-6 hours of midless killing mobs. They are short and kinda of hard to do without right people and right decisions. 

What you ask mate is another stupid Korean-like game that feel more like a job than a game when your strenght is decided by life you wasted playing this game. You don't want game for hardcore players. You want game for noobs that have too much time playing dam game and are to pathetic to stand in fron of the enemy so they grind all day so they can be stronger. Just by stats, not skills. And they can do that because their real life is also pathetic so they spend every free second they have in their grind-mmorpg.

Is this really what you want ?

PS: Sorry for my bad English.

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip
    More and more, every time a game is released you see someone come along and post this crap. What exactly constitute a game for "Hardcore Gamer's " ? I'm positive I won't get a satisfactory answer. It's the same convoluted opinions that are thrown out when someone is asked what a " Casual Gamer" is. Stop these dumb ass posts, please. Either you're a gamer or you're not. It really boils down to how into a game you are.  If they raced through content and are bored, obviously they didn't or don't like it as much as you . Let it go.

Hardcore means huge challenge and time sink- Simple. Not "good" nor "bad".

What? Time sink? It usually means, more diversified content, deeper mechanics, and an actual balanced challenge. And that usually means better.

Originally posted by dariuszp

Thats the truth, thats why we are already seeing "going back to wow" threads n stuff like "bored already" because the game has barely no grinding and makes it fairly easy to achieve things and truly hardcore players dont mind grinding because they know they'll be rewarded for all that painfull hard work and they'll also feel superior to all those players who havent got the time to get that "awesome pvp gear" other games offer... while in gw2... pretty much every1 is at the same level.

So, no doubt this is like the best mmo for any casual player who doesnt spend all the time on gaming.

That's the truth, what you are saying is 100% bullshit. It's so stupid that it makes me cry. There is something you should realize:

Whiners are EVERYWHERE. There will be always a person that will NEVER BE HAPPY. And in MMO it's something very common. Show me one single game in entire world that have no single complain about it. Those threads are normal.

You know, for me achivment is to win 3 vs 1 (me) in PVP. For me achivment is to take down boss by myself. For me is to take down some mob much higher lvl than me. For me achivment is to solve jumping puzzles, find treasures and stuff. For me achivment is to do something so dam epic that you people will talk about it for years ahead and there will be even internet mem about it. This is achivment. 

What kind of achivment are you talking about ? "playing 80 hours non stop" ? "kill 500 mobs" ? Games today put achivments on EVERY SINGLE LITTLE THING (real achivment in real game - you advanced to second level!) and most of them are not even hard. They just take time. Stuff that only require time are stupid.

truly hardcore players dont mind grinding

Yes they do. If you are not from Korea or something I'm almost 100% sure you don't like grinding anyway.

all that painfull hard work

I'm sure that someone said it to you but just to be sure - THIS IS GAME. You know... something you do FOR FUN. This is something I want to do AFTER HARD WORK. Again - most of stuff you probably want are not hard. And are not for hardcore players. Those stuff just take time and are for nolifes. 

feel superior to all those players who havent got the time to get that "awesome pvp gear"

You know, if I win against some poor dude just because I spend 100 hours in game this week I would just feel sorry. And not for him but for myself. I won because he have life and I don't ? What kind of stupid logic is that. Is this what you want ? To feel superior because you sux in real life so you spend all your time in digital world ?

I will feel superior like hell when I will take down 3 people by myself in PVP so hard that it will make them cry and they will start from lvl 1 and learn playing this game again. This is superiority. If you kill them just because you have no life - that's just sad.

Also your view of superiority is to take down weak enemies ? What kind of superiority is that ? Go step on ant or something. Just be carefull because it might bite you. Take down enemies of your own level - that's superiority. Take down 2-3 of them at the same time. This is something to remember. Killing small fries is just pathetic.

gw2... pretty much every1 is at the same level.

Yeah, this is why Guild Wars 2 is for hardcore people. Because in GW2 you are good ONLY if you have good skills and brain. Bad gamer will be bad no mater how much time he will waste in the game. And stuff in GW2 are hard. We can start from dungeons here. They don't take 4-6 hours of midless killing mobs. They are short and kinda of hard to do without right people and right decisions. 

What you ask mate is another stupid Korean-like game that feel more like a job than a game when your strenght is decided by life you wasted playing this game. You don't want game for hardcore players. You want game for noobs that have too much time playing dam game and are to pathetic to stand in fron of the enemy so they grind all day so they can be stronger. Just by stats, not skills. And they can do that because their real life is also pathetic so they spend every free second they have in their grind-mmorpg.

Is this really what you want ?

PS: Sorry for my bad English.

Your English is fine =)

I, however, completley disagree with everything else . LOL. I honestly do not see how GW2 is a game of skill, brains and hardcore.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541

Isnt this cute.... ^_^

Now... go, complete all the explorable dungeons with all possible paths at least once, then come back and tell me all of this once again.

However, we will see "going back to GW2" once Pandaland releases, dont worry. I can bet my right arm for this ;)

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177
    More and more, every time a game is released you see someone come along and post this crap. What exactly constitute a game for "Hardcore Gamer's " ? I'm positive I won't get a satisfactory answer.

I tell you my friend.. its all kind of mmo that demands you to raid the same instance a thousand times so you can get the rarest of items that u really need, that "demands" you to kill 1.000.000 mobs to reach the max level.

summin all up its any game that sucks all of your life into that game, which is not the case of Gw2

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

I'm pretty sure that I never have been a hardcore gamer according to the OP's definition. For my job I can be hardcore maybe, but definately not in a game.

A hamster doesn't know any better so it keeps running that wheel. You would expect humans to know better. But some ppl even think it is important to keep endlessly going in a game lol and then talk about it as if it is some accomplishment.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Depends on which definition of "hardcore" you employ and that is a large discussion in itself.

hardcore for me is pretty much any gamer who spends most of his free time for gaming

Keep in mind that when I say hardcore I am talking about those who have left to return to WoW.

Hardcore for me is in PVE someone who'd rather wait to see if enough people decided to show for a raid, yells at the weaker raiders because they stood in the fire again, and enjoys repeating the same series of events just to do it again next week because  their drop didn't occur due to a bad drop algrithm that no one's bothered to update since 2001.

Hardcore PVP are those who would rather use macros and gear as their advantage rather then skill and strategy to defeat other players or to spend their time with this gear ganking players coming out of the newb zones with freshly made characters.

Hardcore crafters are simply those who would like to get into a game that gave them an unfair advantage so they could corner the market on anything necessary to make their characters rich before anyone else had the chance of doing so.

So I lend little credence to hardcore players of this kind when they claim that this game sucks in their rage quit threads.  image

• dariuszpdariuszp Member Posts: 182
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

Your English is fine =)

I, however, completley disagree with everything else . LOL. I honestly do not see how GW2 is a game of skill, brains and hardcore.

Well cut down PVE that is easy like in almost every MMO out there and you have something that require skills. PVP is great in this game (well GW1 was PVP oriented so it's something to be expected). Dungeons are fine and we already have whiners that thing - it's too hard. 

Events and bosses are also fine but right now there is too many people on low lvl so everything is just a zerg fest.

I see this game as something good once I encounter stuff like yesterday. Even in small cave, around 15 players dead and another 15 fighting for their lives. Some start healing, some start reviving and rest was trying to take down enemies so we could revive more people.

For me hardcore game is a game when I can really use my skills and I will not lose because someone spend 100 hours playing this game in just one week. And GW2 is game like that. When I fight someone - win or loose is all about me dodging and taking hits. If I dodge/kite/cc more and do more damage - it's my win. 

And not me or my enemy could say that I won just because I have better gear. 

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

Pretty sure "going back to wow" is for folks who could use some examaning of their lives and why they do that. Haven't played that game since Burning Crusade.

The most "hardcore" games out there are probably sandbox ones, where the player base decides the extent of that word...Going out on a cross planet hunting trip in SWG was probably the most "hardcore" experience I've had.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

There is one hardcore game in the market and thats Eve, and it has wear that crown since launch in 2003.

WoW = hardcore ? you realy made a fool of yourself there m8.

Boot up Eve and i bet 90% wont even make it past the tutorial <----let alone be succesfull in a dog eat dog world.

If you mean doing scripted pve in hardmodes, hmm its not hardcore, once you know what to nuke and when to move its on farm.

Or do you mean grinding heroics over and over and over and over and over and over and over on your main then your 9 alts ?

What is hardcore ? define hardcore please ?

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by rutaq

as a Project Manager in real life I get paid lots of money to do similar activities with IT folks all the time.   Being able to keep people focused, working together and managing / overcoming problems is such a skill that there are entire College degrees and Certificate programs based on it.

Being a Raid Manager uses some similar skills and it can even be more difficult because the others you are managing aren't compelled to do what you say because it is only "a game" so it requires alot of morale and cheerleading skills to boot.

give me a break

i suppose if raids gave no loot - you could still be effective as a "raid manager" ?

players are compelled to raid for progression and LOOT

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Since when was a western triple A MMORPG for anything but the casual players? Only new MMORPGs which are for hardcore gamers is in the East where the gamer's are not as lazy as us westerners.
    Originally posted by Mothanos

There is one hardcore game in the market and thats Eve, and it has wear that crown since launch in 2003.

WoW = hardcore ? you realy made a fool of yourself there m8.

Boot up Eve and i bet 90% wont even make it past the tutorial <----let alone be succesfull in a dog eat dog world.

If you mean doing scripted pve in hardmodes, hmm its not hardcore, once you know what to nuke and when to move its on farm.

Or do you mean grinding heroics over and over and over and over and over and over and over on your main then your 9 alts ?

What is hardcore ? define hardcore please ?

WOW was hardcore (not sure about now) in the Time investment and skill in putting together the largest raids. Coordanating and practicing with 40+ people, gearing up and raiding some of the harder Dungeons was quite hardcore. Not in the same way as "Eve" is hardcore (a hardcore spreadsheet) and darfall is Hardcore (twitchy and spammy as hell) but hardcore nevertheless.

I never had the patience to complete those raids and I enjoyed Eve quite alot (except being a spaceship) but they were different games.

I know its fashonable to hate on wow (I do it myself) but back in the day it was far more hardcore than anything today (excuuding EVE and some of the Indies- I should have said)

• BeilochBeiloch Member UncommonPosts: 75

'hardcore' is difficulty based.

With that we can determine GW2 as well as WoW are most certainly not hardcore. Yes i'm sure some of you think those games might be 'hard' in certain spots or times but in the grand scheme of MMO's these are introductory at best. WoW raiding at any point never touched EQ1/EQ2 raiding since in every aspect that were ratcheted higher. More people needed, more raiding content in general, and outright more difficult.

We can also surmise simply spending a lot of time on a game or doing lots of things (altaholic with all the little achievements for example) doesn't not automatically equate to hardcore since these are just time consuming and not difficult.

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    More and more, every time a game is released you see someone come along and post this crap. What exactly constitute a game for "Hardcore Gamer's " ? I'm positive I won't get a satisfactory answer.

I tell you my friend.. its all kind of mmo that demands you to raid the same instance a thousand times so you can get the rarest of items that u really need, that "demands" you to kill 1.000.000 mobs to reach the max level.

summin all up its any game that sucks all of your life into that game, which is not the case of Gw2

You werent serious when you wrote that, were you?

No, game shouldnt suck my life into it. If i would allow that to happen, then it would be my defeat as a grown-up person. I can say "hey, drinks are fine, you should get them all the time. Imagine all the fun they give". No, just no. Its just bad to your health and there are more important things in life than getting drunk all the time. Its fine to have fun and some pleasure activities here and there, but if you become way too dedicated to it, then that will become serious problem.

If being Hardcore means pathologic addiction, then i pray to god that GW2 dont promote "hardcore" gaming.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• OltzuOltzu Member UncommonPosts: 103

EVE is hardcore, its not difficult, but it doesnt hold ur hand.

I think thats how u measure how hardcore a game is, how much it holds your hand.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by rutaq

as a Project Manager in real life I get paid lots of money to do similar activities with IT folks all the time.   Being able to keep people focused, working together and managing / overcoming problems is such a skill that there are entire College degrees and Certificate programs based on it.

Being a Raid Manager uses some similar skills and it can even be more difficult because the others you are managing aren't compelled to do what you say because it is only "a game" so it requires alot of morale and cheerleading skills to boot.

give me a break

i suppose if raids gave no loot - you could still be effective as a "raid manager" ?

players are compelled to raid for progression and LOOT

Sorry Nadia, but I think rutaq is right. There are so many age/personality differences in MMO's not everyone is motivated by the same thing. Some people will be motivated by progression and loot, but not everyone. Unless you you have experience as a raid leader, you probably wouldn't understand what goes on behind the scenes just to get a raid going. If your experience was easy to get the raid going, then consider yourself lucky, because that is not how it it for most of us.

• AZHokie54AZHokie54 Member UncommonPosts: 294
    LOL, you think hardcore players play WoW. ROFLMAO!!!!
  • EverKing87EverKing87 Member UncommonPosts: 67
    oh boy watch out guys we have an elitist here
    Originally posted by AZHokie54
    LOL, you think hardcore players play WoW. ROFLMAO!!!!

You made yourself look quite 1337 with that awesome comment.

How about reading the whole thing next time and perhaps attempting to comprehend whats written. And then try to ADD something to the conversation beyond 1 sentence which attempts to show how cool you are.

Anyhow....

=)

• immodiumimmodium Member RarePosts: 2,610
    FPS and RTS games can be hardcore, why can't GW2 PvP be hardcore?

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203

Grinding games are for the easily pleased.  They LOVE "Groundhog Day" games where they can mindlessly repeat exactly what they did the day before, and the day before that... for ever.  They'll happily pay to do so, too!  I pity them.

This discussion has been closed.