Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gw2 aint for hardcore gamers

Comments

• WizGamerWizGamer Member UncommonPosts: 402
    I think I realized I don't like grinding. I enjoy the fun and depth of single-player games, but enjoy the social atmosphere that makes the game feel alive. I feel like GW2 gives me both. It's so easy to achieve things and every moment feels interesting. There is a lot to do and I don't mind that it's very instantly accessible. I don't grind for hours and hours anymore as a college student. I couldn't even sustain any presence in FFXI. GW2 is perfect. TSW too, but mainly because I haven't even reached endgame there( which actually is a huge grind).
  • EletherylEletheryl Member Posts: 152
    Originally posted by Hyp47

Thats the truth, thats why we are already seeing "going back to wow" threads n stuff like "bored already" because the game has barely no grinding and makes it fairly easy to achieve things and truly hardcore players dont mind grinding because they know they'll be rewarded for all that painfull hard work and they'll also feel superior to all those players who havent got the time to get that "awesome pvp gear" other games offer... while in gw2... pretty much every1 is at the same level.

So, no doubt this is like the best mmo for any casual player who doesnt spend all the time on gaming.

You just find out that now?. Is a good game, but casual from any point of view.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by motta11

''LEGENDERY WEAPON'' HOLY SH*T

Legendery weapon=Exotic Item LMAO.

Please dont be a fan boy.This is sucks.I'll pay more thn 40 golds and 200 skill points for better looking SAME STAT staff?

4 example Im playing 12 hours per day and ur playin 2 hours and we 'll have same items ?Whats the difference ?My 10 hours for what? JUST BETTER LOOK!

Bro Im not a god damn Model ! I dont want better looking,I want Power.

This game is not a freakin Fashion Game right????

So you want a gear grind system? Go play ur standard WoW. Playing WvW/PvP all day is fun enough imo. The game doesnt say you have to get legendary weapons u don't have to, do what it is that u have fun doing. if you don't like the cosmetic endgame grind then somethings wrong. If you just don't think about the req's to get the legendary weapons and do what you like eventually you'll have what you need for legendaries.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

OK this has become ridiculous, somehow hardcore, has become synonymous with good. That should and is not the case, hardcore is just a term used to describe someone that plays a game, or even games for long periods of time, learns more about the game than most would care to, and generally enjoys the game.

Somehow though, I don't know how, "hardcore" gamers have become seen as some mainly golden adonis of a creature. These Elite of the elite, only play the "best" games that are worthy of their blessed orange colored cheeto encrusted fingers, and all other games are seen as pig's swill.

A person who plays farmville can be hardcore, a person can be hardcore playing skyrim, is it a good thing in both cases? Generally not.

What is this crap I've been seeing, that casual gamers, who maybe sit down and enjoy a game for a few hours a week or day, are not "real" gamers compared to hardcore gamers?

Is this really the community that surrounds games nowadays? If so, "I don't want to live on this planet anymore anymore".

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Actually yes it is, more for hardcore pvp'er than pve'er though.

• JorielJoriel Member UncommonPosts: 177
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey

Thats the truth, thats why we are already seeing "going back to wow" threads n stuff like "bored already" because the game has barely no grinding and makes it fairly easy to achieve things and truly hardcore players dont mind grinding because they know they'll be rewarded for all that painfull hard work and they'll also feel superior to all those players who havent got the time to get that "awesome pvp gear" other games offer... while in gw2... pretty much every1 is at the same level.

So, no doubt this is like the best mmo for any casual player who doesnt spend all the time on gaming.

Why is it the best MMO for casuals? (hint, its not, because the best MMO for casuals is the same as as the best MMO for everything, if its a good MMO, everyone enjoys it)

And what the hell do you mean "going back to WoW"? No hardcore players play WoW, its the most casual game on the market.

why is the best for casual? because u dont have to lose your life to achieve everything?

and no hardcore gamers play WoW? you´re kidding me right? gotta be -.-

• Justin83xJustin83x Member Posts: 406
    Op's preoblem is since he can play 12 hours per day he feels he should be more powerful than players who can't. The problem with that is it creates balance issues, and starts taking the skill out of pvp. Pretty much he is a average player, and cause the game is more balance focused he can't win based on gear anymore. Which is why he is mad. Oh and just so everyone knows I'm not saying GW2 is perfectly balanced. It's just more balanced than WoW pvp.

• CarnafexCarnafex Member Posts: 49

Really ?  Sorry to rain on your paradigm, I game 6 to 8 hours Monday through Friday, and 12 to 16 hours Saturday and Sunday.  I hate raids, PvP and anything remotely grindy.  GW2 fits my playstyle perfectly, and interestingly enough, I don't consider myself hardcore in the least.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    Originally posted by SirenRose

And what the hell do you mean "going back to WoW"? No hardcore players play WoW, its the most casual game on the market.

Agreed.  WoW hasn't been hardcore ever since the inception of Wrath of the Lich King.

To be fair 25man Hardmode LK pre nerf is considered one of the harder raids in the history of WoW.

• itssantositssantos Member UncommonPosts: 84

Hard core is defined per user. I think hardcore is player vs player based..i think it is more than wow because I hate the idea of gear being a deciding factor in a fight. While others it is raiding and grinding which to me is just an unwanted time sink. I'm not wrong and neither is the other person.

it the long run it comes down to..if you enjoy the game play it and play with your friends and have fun.  WoW is a great game but it got boring to me and I left and loving guild wars 2. 

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by Nightgroper

OK this has become ridiculous, somehow hardcore, has become synonymous with good. That should and is not the case, hardcore is just a term used to describe someone that plays a game, or even games for long periods of time, learns more about the game than most would care to, and generally enjoys the game.

Somehow though, I don't know how, "hardcore" gamers have become seen as some mainly golden adonis of a creature. These Elite of the elite, only play the "best" games that are worthy of their blessed orange colored cheeto encrusted fingers, and all other games are seen as pig's swill.

A person who plays farmville can be hardcore, a person can be hardcore playing skyrim, is it a good thing in both cases? Generally not.

What is this crap I've been seeing, that casual gamers, who maybe sit down and enjoy a game for a few hours a week or day, are not "real" gamers compared to hardcore gamers?

Is this really the community that surrounds games nowadays? If so, "I don't want to live on this planet anymore anymore".

You are correct mostly, but party wrong.

No, Hardcore does not mean "good" nor "bad" (but is often associated as such)- But certain players ONLY like hardcore games so for THEM its bad to not be hardcore.

GW2 is a GOOD GAME but very much NOT HARDCORE. If GW2 was my only game (IF it required a sub) I would be bored to death and kicked through the content.

MO is very HARDCORE yet is a poor excuse for a game.

And no, farmville is not "hardcore" regardless of how much you play it. My Wife "plays" Snoopy Street fair for Iphone (similar to farmville, I think) and regardless of the time ANYONE PUT INTO THAT GAME- iT ISNT "HARDCORE".

but you are taking offence to terms. "Hardcore" and "casual" are as benign as saying "Turn based" or "real time". They are descriptions of what to "expect" from the game for those "in the know" (NOTHING ELITIST BTW)

I enjoy casual games AND hardcore games. But I like to know what I am buying. GW@ is NOT hardcore AT ALL and if someone is swayed into thinking it is they will feel ripped off. GW2 is FUN though, and a good casual game.

• drakaenadrakaena Member UncommonPosts: 506
    IMO GW2 should have added different dungeons in WvW with bosses and a loot table. One dungeon for Red, Blue, Green, and another in the eternal battlegrounds. Players would only gain access to each individual dungeon depending on if their server controlled that area of the map. Now that is incentive to WvW and ties PvE/PvP together. 
  • rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    I guess if you define hardcore as the raid monkeys whose idea of a good time is  repeating the same old scripted raid until thier eyes bleed and telling themselves that takes skill you are 100% correct. But I call that stupid , I could train a monkey to sit there and press key 1, 2, 3, 4 over and over which pretty much sums up any raid. Only thing hard core about raiding is hte amount of time it takes which could be better spent doing something different and challenging, just my opinion of course

Just out of curiosity.  Outside of PvP, what do you consider challenging game play in an MMO since you dismiss the effort, difficulty, hard work and skill required to pull together 20-40 people to play in a controlled / coordinated manner while trying to learn to overcome the obstacles of the complex scripted PvE content called "Raids".

It is amusing you think it doesn't require any skill,  as a Project Manager in real life I get paid lots of money to do similar activities with IT folks all the time.   Being able to keep people focused, working together and managing / overcoming problems is such a skill that there are entire College degrees and Certificate programs based on it.

Being a Raid Manager uses some similar skills and it can even be more difficult because the others you are managing aren't compelled to do what you say because it is only "a game" so it requires alot of morale and cheerleading skills to boot.

• Odinthedark1Odinthedark1 Member Posts: 330
    Is there really such a thing as hardcore PvE anyways? i know WoW can be hardcore when it comes to arena's...same gear same levels higher up in the rating what determines wins are team work, skill, and class synergy. ive seen some really amazing players and me being ur slightly better than average PvP'er am jealous of them...
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159

Its funny, people said the EXACT same thing about WoW, years ago.  

Really, people still say that about WoW, but that aside...

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

You are correct mostly, but party wrong.

No, Hardcore does not mean "good" nor "bad" (but is often associated as such)- But certain players ONLY like hardcore games so for THEM its bad to not be hardcore.

GW2 is a GOOD GAME but very much NOT HARDCORE. If GW2 was my only game (IF it required a sub) I would be bored to death and kicked through the content.

MO is very HARDCORE yet is a poor excuse for a game.

And no, farmville is not "hardcore" regardless of how much you play it. My Wife "plays" Snoopy Street fair for Iphone (similar to farmville, I think) and regardless of the time ANYONE PUT INTO THAT GAME- iT ISNT "HARDCORE".

but you are taking offence to terms. "Hardcore" and "casual" are as benign as saying "Turn based" or "real time". They are descriptions of what to "expect" from the game for those "in the know" (NOTHING ELITIST BTW)

I enjoy casual games AND hardcore games. But I like to know what I am buying. GW@ is NOT hardcore AT ALL and if someone is swayed into thinking it is they will feel ripped off. GW2 is FUN though, and a good casual game.

In this giant mess of a post, that said virtually nothing, you have yet to actually define hardcore, or casual games.

My point was hardcore, and casual should not be used to define a game, but a person who plays the game as it always has been.

Here's it in a sentence: "You have to be hardcore to run that guy's ADnD dungeon.".   

A game is a game, Would you say Super Mario Bros, is a hardcore game? No, but can you say the people who beat it in under 6 mins are hardcore players of it? Yes. Get my point now[mod edit]?

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

Originally posted by Marcus-
    By your definition, I'm a hardcore gamer, and I'm enjoying GW2 quite a bit.

Tell me that again in couple of months or half year max. :)

im also hardcore gamer and im also enjoying Gw2 as we speak but i already feel it taking me slightly over (the boredom)

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Vhaln

Its funny, people said the EXACT same thing about WoW, years ago.  

Really, people still say that about WoW, but that aside...

Well.. that's because it's true. If people wanted a hardcore game with difficult raiding or challenging content, they absolutely could not pick a worse game than WoW.

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by SirenRose

Agreed.  WoW hasn't been hardcore ever since the inception of Wrath of the Lich King.

It hasn't been hardcore ever. Full stop. The day it launched it was the most casual MMO on the market, and it's held that position for 7 years.

Originally posted by Eletheryl

You just find out that now?. Is a good game, but casual from any point of view.

nope i just said it now due to the many QQ thread about gw2

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    Originally posted by Jackdog
    I guess if you define hardcore as the raid monkeys whose idea of a good time is  repeating the same old scripted raid until thier eyes bleed and telling themselves that takes skill you are 100% correct. But I call that stupid , I could train a monkey to sit there and press key 1, 2, 3, 4 over and over which pretty much sums up any raid. Only thing hard core about raiding is hte amount of time it takes which could be better spent doing something different and challenging, just my opinion of course

You must be one of those super awesome leet players where everything is easy and don't use addons, ect. But good raids aren't as "easy" for normal humans. Just because you are so super awesome doesn't mean raids aren't challenging for lessor beings. Plus, the "difficulty" is to get the entire group to perform at the high level. But I'm guessing you multi-box so you won't have to mingle with the normals.

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

I have to agree with you on the casual gamer thing, I play it sometime 10min a day, sometime an hour or 2 and I got more fun with GW2 than any other MMO, it is tailored for my casual gaming.

For the hardcore bit, I don't know, i guess some hardcore player (8 hours or more a day) would pretty much have fun for a least 4 or 5 month before finishing all things ingame, so maybe hardcore could enjoy it quiet a bit. But I wouldn't know because i'm that inferior kind of gamers, the casual.

I'm alway jalous of hardcore gamers, they've got those item and this kind of life I explode in my pants when I see it.

I got no life, i got only my kids and my wife and my buisness adn my employee and all that time I spend in company of nice people, I soooo nothing.  hahahahardcore

It's a hard knock life .... later you get hemoroids

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

As the MMO genre has morphed over the years the "hardcore" label was born to represent the players that aren't satisfied with a game that doesnt' challenge them beyond a minuscule time investment, negligible amount of attention, trivial amount of reasoning all the while trying to pass of the game as some Epic event / story.

Hardcore doesn't always mean "GOOD" but it does being a higher level of challenge that many players are unable to achieve.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    More and more, every time a game is released you see someone come along and post this crap. What exactly constitute a game for "Hardcore Gamer's " ? I'm positive I won't get a satisfactory answer. It's the same convoluted opinions that are thrown out when someone is asked what a " Casual Gamer" is. Stop these dumb ass posts, please. Either you're a gamer or you're not. It really boils down to how into a game you are.  If they raced through content and are bored, obviously they didn't or don't like it as much as you . Let it go.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186
    GW2 ain't for gamers.
This discussion has been closed.