Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

Poll: Does this prove SWG was the better game?

Comments

• NagilumSadowNagilumSadow Atlanta, GAPosts: 299Member
    Originally posted by teakbois

64% of voters are idiots.  It proves nothing,  SWTOR still has more subs than SWG had at its peak.  SWG may or may not be the better game, but anyone who thinks this is proof has some seriously faulty logic skills.

Actually, generally speaking, the people that are still in TOR and played and had the purview of SWG, represent some of the lowest common denominators.

Galaxies was on such a higher level that no possibility of concomitanty exists. Galaxies was player centric, TOR is dollar centric.

TOR represents an insult ot its own players, and I truly feel bad for the people that do not "get it". TOR was simply designed to be a cash-cow, and LA & Bio gave a perfect example of what they actually thought of their own players. As far as I am concerned SOE is fully redeemed. All of SOEs problems in galaxies came, for the most part, from LA -- we know this now...

SOE cared about what you thought;  LA, BIO and EA only cared about how to get zombies to shell out greenbacks.

End of story...

• EmerwynEmerwyn MadridPosts: 70Member

SW:TOR was, like GW2, a great game while the storyline lasted. Then it got shelved. Like 99% of my other games, really. 

Still well worth the cash. So no, SWG wasn't the better game. It was just the one with a community so small and a budget so low that nobody cared to shoot it down.

• SlampigSlampig Chantilly, VAPosts: 2,376Member Uncommon
    This is really a thread?

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SixfeetunderSixfeetunder Sept-iles, QCPosts: 180Member
    Yes..because i have good good time in SWG
  • ktanner3ktanner3 lakeland, FLPosts: 4,074Member Common
    Originally posted by NagilumSadow
    Originally posted by teakbois

64% of voters are idiots.  It proves nothing,  SWTOR still has more subs than SWG had at its peak.  SWG may or may not be the better game, but anyone who thinks this is proof has some seriously faulty logic skills.

Actually, generally speaking, the people that are still in TOR and played and had the purview of SWG, represent some of the lowest common denominators.

I met some of the biggest asshats ever when I played SWG. They were usually jedi who didn't like being hunted. Sorry, but in my experience both game's playerbase was about the same. You had some cool people and you had some idiots. 

Galaxies was on such a higher level that no possibility of concomitanty exists. Galaxies was player centric, TOR is dollar centric.

Yeah, SOE didn't care about the dollars. And if you believe that I have a bridge to nowhere to sell you. 

TOR represents an insult ot its own players, and I truly feel bad for the people that do not "get it".

So the people that enjoy the game don't get it? No, they play the game because they like it. You didn't like it and that's fine. But enough with the insults. It doesn't help your argument. 

TOR was simply designed to be a cash-cow, and LA & Bio gave a perfect example of what they actually thought of their own players. As far as I am concerned SOE is fully redeemed. All of SOEs problems in galaxies came, for the most part, from LA -- we know this now...

SOE cared about what you thought;  LA, BIO and EA only cared about how to get zombies to shell out greenbacks.

Biggest laugh I have ever had on these forums. And that is saying something because I've been here for six years. Sorry, but I was there and know better. SOE is a crap company and the majority of people who have experienced them first hand feels the same way. 

@OP- IMO both game s were good.  They had their strengths and they had their weaknesses. TOR was never meant to be another SWG and anyone buying it for that reason were bound to be let down.  There is no proving that one is better than the other because it's all opinion and you can't prove an opinion. 

Currently Playing: Star Wars The Old Republic

• OberholzerOberholzer Hasbrouck Heights, NJPosts: 498Member
    It would still be alive I'd think if more of its fans played instead of just posting on forums how it's the greatest game ever. Just my two cents. 
  • BurntvetBurntvet Baltimore, MDPosts: 2,947Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Oberholzer
    It would still be alive I'd think if more of its fans played instead of just posting on forums how it's the greatest game ever. Just my two cents. 

Well, strictly speaking, original SWG was probably the best designed MMO of all time, in terms of creating a world for the players to live and play in.

Most choice, choice of player activities and choices of character builds and choice of play style.

That said, SOE did a very, very poor job in managing on-going development for the game, and then ended up lobotomizing the game with a shovel, twice.

To my mind, this was a failure of game management and not of the game. Had the game been managed well, it could have been the "other EvE", with solid longterm numbers and cashflow.

Instead, we got Smed.

Originally posted by ktanner3

Biggest laugh I have ever had on these forums. And that is saying something because I've been here for six years. Sorry, but I was there and know better. SOE is a crap company and the majority of people who have experienced them first hand feels the same way. 

QFE on that bit.

SOE never, ever gave a shit about their longterm customers. The infamous Rubenfeld "om-nom-nom" blog makes it perfectly clear what SOE thought about its customers.

No one I know that was a SWG player will ever play another SOE title.

• erictlewiserictlewis Cottondale, ALPosts: 3,026Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Burntvet

QFE on that bit.

SOE never, ever gave a shit about their longterm customers. The infamous Rubenfeld "om-nom-nom" blog makes it perfectly clear what SOE thought about its customers.

Well I don't believe that statment either I play eq2 ever day, and yes I was bitter about SWG had been since the nge, but in the end EQ2 is a much better game than most of the crud we have for games nowday.  There are a lot of swg folks I know that currently play eq2.  So saying that nobody you know that played swg would never buy another soe title is painting with a big brush, and it is simply not true.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,590Member Uncommon
    SWG was long dead
  • RhavensRhavens Montreal, QCPosts: 59Member
    We can debate on the SWG vs SWTOR subject for along time, but as a player of both, I can say this: SWG was a unique experience with many things that were never seen before (or not so much anyway) and never seen after. SWTOR  is like any other MMOs out there with Star Wars skins in it.

• PurutzilPurutzil East Stroudsburg, PAPosts: 2,925Member Uncommon
    Well.. to be blunt... SWG wasn't that great of a game and in many regards SWTOR was a better game to me... but thats of course ignoring age and a few other factors. If you neglect those parts then SWG wasn't actually all that bad. If it was refined rather then aged out, it could of been better then SWTOR possibly with the way it was designed. 
  • DeaconXDeaconX Toronto, ONPosts: 3,067Member
    SWG better understood what Star Wars fans wanted - to LIVE in the Star Wars universe.  It was just ... rather poorly executed, using old tech... at a time when really, it was trying to be a pioneer and innovate.  It's not easy.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts El Do, KSPosts: 1,555Member
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Scummyman

SWG was years ahead of it's time and many MMO's of today cannot replicate many aspects of the game today.

I know it had it's faults but re-release it today without the bugs and todays bugs, it would rock.

I doubt it. Thats like saying, releasing Vanilla WoW, without bugs, today would have the same success.... nope.

new generation of MMO gaming mindset.

Ya? Well our kids will be old enough to play MMO's before your kids, and we will be sure to educate them. 

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• kartoolkartool Hamilton, ONPosts: 472Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by DeaconX
    SWG better understood what Star Wars fans wanted - to LIVE in the Star Wars universe.  It was just ... rather poorly executed, using old tech... at a time when really, it was trying to be a pioneer and innovate.  It's not easy.

I think SWG pretty much killed the sandbox. If it was more than a broken tech demo when it was released it may have done better and devs wouldn't have stuck to the themepark model for so long. 

• niceguy3978niceguy3978 Gainesville, FLPosts: 2,000Member
    Of all the mmos I have bought since UO launched and got me started, I have had only 2 real disappointments; SWG and Rift.  I was looking forward to SWG from the moment it was announced.  I didn't actually buy the game until Jump to Lightspeed came out mainly because I was enjoying the guild I was in, and didn't want to leave.  I had to after JLS though because who the hell wouldn't be excited about mmo space combat in the Star Wars universe?  Bought it and tried to like it.  I even subbed an extra month to keep going and get to a fun part.  I had a hell of a lot more fun in my couple of months in TOR than I did in my month and a half of SWG.  
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    Originally posted by Burntvet

QFE on that bit.

Well I don't believe that statment either I play eq2 ever day, and yes I was bitter about SWG had been since the nge, but in the end EQ2 is a much better game than most of the crud we have for games nowday.  There are a lot of swg folks I know that currently play eq2.  So saying that nobody you know that played swg would never buy another soe title is painting with a big brush, and it is simply not true.

[mod edit]

I had 50+ friends and co-workers play SWG before SOE wrecked it, and not one has played an SOE title since.

That a narrow enough brush for you? Hmm?

• NeokiNaomiNeokiNaomi Anchorage, AKPosts: 326Member Uncommon

I voted yes for a some what simple reason... SWG in it's prime before the patch 10 mega nerf to jedi was by the far the most "OH CRAP I MIGHT DIE!" feeling ever. I was among a very small amount of gamers in the SWG community to be a pre-patch Jedi. And the grind, gameplay, atmosphere of being a Jedi / Sith back then felt true to it's name. Once you gained enough skil tree's to be able to sustain yourself you were pretty powerful, but leave your saber out in a starport or encounter a really good BH... And you were mortally (literally) screwed, Perma-death had it's place, and with good meaning.

I lasted a good 3 1/2 years playing SWG very regularly, then things kept getting worse and worse on SOE's "update" progress, once the NGE hit I was officially done. Mind you I've played most AAA games out there to max level (Yes I apparently lack a life, I know). However, I lasted about 3 weeks in SWTOR, I fell into the "All my friends are going to play so I will join" trap, same as TERA and Rift, I did not fall into it this time for GW2 though.

Honestly SWG in it's prime even before the NGE disregarding patch 10 was great, it had bugs, but it was a perfect concept and blend of freedom.

To me the most success in entertainment from games for me has been Anarchy Online, Star Wars Galaxies, Planetside, and now of course Planetside 2 which I was lucky enough to become an Alpha tester for a few months back. SOE kind of nulled my hatred towards them a little with that honor.

TLDR..... SWG>Most games today (including SWTOR)

TwitchTV:NeokiLIVE

• NaughtyPNaughtyP Edmonton, ABPosts: 793Member
    The only thing I know is that this game supports the argument that EA = garbage.

Enter a whole new realm of challenge and adventure.

• YamotaYamota LondonPosts: 6,620Member
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Title says it all. SWTOR killed 8 years of memories because it was greedy, and it couldn't last more than 8 months, just sad. If they made the themepark/sandbox hybrid we all asked for instead of VO without gameplay we would all be talking about how WOW is going FTP.

I voted No.

Why?

because SWTOR was overhyped by the community, not developers. And many people got this game for the wrong reasons (nothing gameplay related)

This is why this game seem like fail to the masses.

So what if it was overhyped. It was/is a weak MMO, period.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Seattle, WAPosts: 220Member
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Title says it all. SWTOR killed 8 years of memories because it was greedy, and it couldn't last more than 8 months, just sad. If they made the themepark/sandbox hybrid we all asked for instead of VO without gameplay we would all be talking about how WOW is going FTP.

I voted No.

Why?

because SWTOR was overhyped by the community, not developers. And many people got this game for the wrong reasons (nothing gameplay related)

This is why this game seem like fail to the masses.

So what if it was overhyped. It was/is a weak MMO, period.

The answer is clearly No.  He didn't ask if SWG was a better made MMO or if SWTOR was weak.  He just said does SWTOR not lasting 8 years in Subs prove it is weaker and the answer to that is no.  SWG lived in a day and age where pretty much all MMO's were sub based and the cost of making games allowed them to exist without huge sub numbers.  These are not the times we are all in.  By that logic GW2 would be a weak game cause it never even tried to make it as a sub based game.

Yes all things considered SWG would be a higher ranked and better game but not at all for the arguement made by the OP. Also someone quoted BIoware as saying they expected 3-5M in sales I would like to see that cause everything I remember hearing from them did not mention any numbers that high, that was purely based on what many in the MMO community(including me) thought it would do.

• RefMinorRefMinor MyTownPosts: 3,452Member
    Yes, and I haven't read the OP or any replies.
  • TerranahTerranah Stockton, CAPosts: 3,605Member

Objectively, if you just look at feature sets the Precu SWG wins every time.  Even when there are similar features offered, SWG wins by a large margin by offering considerably more depth, freedom, and complexity.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Phoenix, AZPosts: 823Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Terranah

Objectively, if you just look at feature sets the Precu SWG wins every time.  Even when there are similar features offered, SWG wins by a large margin by offering considerably more depth, freedom, and complexity.

Objectively speaking , bull .  PreCU SWG was a laggy , pig of a game . The best aspects of SWG were the economy/crafting and social aspects. The combat was horribly out of balance and really boiled down to the FoTM build. Factional combat was a joke. Everytime they adjusted one profession it threw everything else out of whack. Objectively speaking it was such a dog that people couldn't wait for the release of WoW. 

Originally posted by AG-Vuk
    Originally posted by Terranah

Objectively speaking , bull .  PreCU SWG was a laggy , pig of a game . The best aspects of SWG were the economy/crafting and social aspects. The combat was horribly out of balance and really boiled down to the FoTM build. Factional combat was a joke. Everytime they adjusted one profession it threw everything else out of whack. Objectively speaking it was such a dog that people couldn't wait for the release of WoW. 

That bit there was true on an individual level only.

One time myself and two partners went overt and controlled the Cnet starport for better than 45 minutes, and destroyed the FOTM guys over and over.

The reason it worked, is because each of us had certain skills that overcame a different aspect of the stack of the week (the fire DOT was especially good for that). We were reported multiple times for "exploiting" when the kiddies didn't understand that it was group balance and skill mix that mattered, not individual balance.

And that was a big mistake SOE made: they should have come out and said, "We look at combat balance as a group dynamic not an individual one. Some individual build might be better than others, but we are not going to try to balance that. Once in a group, those imbalances can be and are negated."

But instead, they wasted untold time making adjustments when the FOTM kiddies complained.