Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am shocked

Doro45Doro45 Member Posts: 6

So after experiencing the shallowness of GW2's pvp I decided to give this game another go. This time I plunged into the world of pve. I decided to do some Norn story because it looked like it could be good.

Well it wasn't actually. The voice acting and script were pretty terrible but that's not why I am writing this. I was having pretty epic boss battle in my personal story but I messed up and died. What happened next SHOCKED ME. I was literally sitting on my ass and trying to understand what the hell this is. I respawned only few meters away from that boss with full hp except his HP stayed the same. As I was completely paralyzed by this he killed me again... "Ok maybe they gave me like 3 lifes..." I said to myself. After my 5th death I came to conclusion that this is probably not the case.

I am honestly speechless. I just don't understand. Is this what the gamers today have become and Anet just caters to them or is it a bug or maybe some devious social experiment? I don't understand...

Comments

• TheIronLegionTheIronLegion Member Posts: 269
    Originally posted by Doro45

So after experiencing the shallowness of GW2's pvp I decided to give this game another go. This time I plunged into the world of pve. I decided to do some Norn story because it looked like it could be good.

Well it wasn't actually. The voice acting and script were pretty terrible but that's not why I am writing this. I was having pretty epic boss battle in my personal story but I messed up and died. What happened next SHOCKED ME. I was literally sitting on my ass and trying to understand what the hell this is. I respawned only few meters away from that boss with full hp except his HP stayed the same. As I was completely paralyzed by this he killed me again... "Ok maybe they gave me like 3 lifes..." I said to myself. After my 5th death I came to conclusion that this is probably not the case.

I am honestly speechless. I just don't understand. Is this what the gamers today have become and Anet just caters to them or is it a bug or maybe some devious social experiment? I don't understand...

You mean...you die and the boss doesn't reset and frustrate you to no end because you spent all that time fighting him?!? HERESY! Absolute madness! how dare they make it alittle easier for you!

But seriously. If you spawn close enough to him you can get to him before he starts regenerating health. It's like the players. If you go into combat you move slower, cant change skills, and this yellow 'haze' appears around your skill bar. After you're done fighting it takes a few seconds for your move-speed to return, your skills to become swappable again, and your health to start regenning. Boss is the same way. It takes a few seconds for it to happen, sometimes longer. So if you spawned right next to him (which will not always happen) then you're in luck!

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860

So what are we to discuss here? That you can't beat something that thousands of others can? I'm not trying to  harsh, but why start a discussion about something like this. In WoW when hogger would kill me I didn't feel I needed to tell everyone about it, I just tried again. /shrug

Get back in there and kill that SOB! :)

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    If your doing the tutorial then yes the game does not allow you to die in this event.  It its your races quest line then It might be the same senario being scripted but Ive never run into that in open world PvE.
  • JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290
    Originally posted by Amjoco

So what are we to discuss here? That you can't beat something that thousands of others can? I'm not trying to  harsh, but why start a discussion about something like this. In WoW when hogger would kill me I didn't feel I needed to tell everyone about it, I just tried again. /shrug

WOOSH. 

More on topic, he is saying it is ridiculous to get infinite attempts to beat something when the fight only resets for you, not the enemy you are trying to beat.

• HarttzHarttz Member Posts: 91
    It has positives and negatives. Sometimes it works to your advantage because you can get back in and finish up without having to start over, which is nice. Other times it screws you up and makes things harder. I was doing an event where you got a special buff to help you but when I died I lost the buff. The champion mob I had to kill also spawned locust swarms which didn't despawn when I died and stayed aggro'd onto me through death. The swarms were hitting me for about 1.5k without the buff and I only had about 5k hp so the fight became pretty much impossible after I had died. I ended up having to completely start the event over after I had died about 5 times and realized it was impossible which was annoying after putting so much work into it previously.
  • SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

You Sir have missed his point.

He is saying its nearly impossible NOT to beat the Boss (i.e. ZERO challenge for even 1 handed midgets) and he only wdied due to shock at the impossibility of losing. =P

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by SaintPhilip

You Sir have missed his point.

He is saying its nearly impossible NOT to beat the Boss (i.e. ZERO challenge for even 1 handed midgets) and he only wdied due to shock at the impossibility of losing. =P

Ok I gotcha now. Thank you. 

edit: I looked at this a little closer SaintPhilip and although you are right in a way so am I. The title of the discussion is I am shocked. Being a casual player I thought he was shocked at not being able to kill the mob with that many attempts, considering he never stated he killed the mob. 

I do like your midget analogy. But, if he didn't kill it he needs to go to GW1, get a 1 handed midget as a hireling, and go back and complete the story!

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• khameleonkhameleon Member UncommonPosts: 486

Yes GW2 PVP is a spam fest, zerg fest, not really fun to me either. 

The PVE is fun to explore but thats about it. The loot from bosses you meet in the wild or even in dungeons is mostly a dissapointment after a long battle against a giant. There isnt much fun to it either, the combat while fun while learning the skills with each weapon type becomes stale after a short while.

The game is solid, but nothing new, nothing great, nothing what i expected it to be.

GAME TIL YOU DIE!!!!

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

Agreed. I always found it weird that dying in personal story just means you have to revive a short walk away and can just get right back into the fight like nothing happened to you. When I first died in a Personal Story instance, I thought I was gonna have to redo everything I'd done, or just simply be kicked out of the instance into the "real world."

It's kinda dumb that you can just walk right back into the fight like nothing happened. but I guess they assumed that if you're dying, you'll probably die multiple times, and your gear will get destroyed and you'll have to quit.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Doro45

LoL,  apparently you missed the Memo...   

Competition, Challenge and Achievement are things to be removed by designed because the unwashed MMO massed have deemed them as NOT FUN.  

Welcome to the vapid coddling of the new era of MMO Adventurer's DayCare. 

• GamefunGamefun Member Posts: 290

Casual-easy is the new thing for MMORPG's. No longer do you have to use your brain in order to win.

Welcome to 2012, where winning is automatic!.

You aren't the only one who thinks this way. MMO's are boring now. The PvP is terrible and the genre is dead.

• NightgroperNightgroper Member Posts: 76

Yes, because running the same dungeon over, and over, and over, and over again until you finally win, isn't neurotic at all!

I get it challenge can and is fun, but at some point it can cross that border and become boring, and make something even more pointless, within a pointless activity.

I'm not a kid anymore, I have a job, and classes. I find it fun, but I don't want to spend 2 hours running 1 mission.

The more I'm around the forums on this site, the more bitter I become.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by khameleon

The PVE is fun to explore but thats about it. The loot from bosses you meet in the wild or even in dungeons is mostly a dissapointment after a long battle against a giant. There isnt much fun to it either, the combat while fun while learning the skills with each weapon type becomes stale after a short while.

The game is solid, but nothing new, nothing great, nothing what i expected it to be.

I honestly dont see how anyone can see this once they have been on the recieving or giving of an organized guild defense or siege. WvW is literally one of the best things to come to MMO's since DAoC's RvR.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by Nightgroper

Yes, because running the same dungeon over, and over, and over, and over again until you finally win, isn't neurotic at all!

I get it challenge can and is fun, but at some point it can cross that border and become boring, and make something even more pointless, within a pointless activity.

I'm not a kid anymore, I have a job, and classes. I find it fun, but I don't want to spend 2 hours running 1 mission.

if you a running the same content over and over and losing then maybe you should look for an encounter not so challenging and come back when you are more powerful or have a new stratgey.

The whole "got a kid, have a real life, job "  is simply that an excuse.  if you want a challengless auto win game then play consoles and look up the cheat codes or one of the thousands od social games on facebook but please stop ruining it for the rest of us by temping the DEVs to water down MMOs with your disposable income.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by khameleon

The PVE is fun to explore but thats about it. The loot from bosses you meet in the wild or even in dungeons is mostly a dissapointment after a long battle against a giant.

Then why don't you put on some extra magic find runes on your armor and weapons then?

If you don't know what magic find rune is I'll explain, It's simply up the % for you to get a rare loot drop.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Gamefun

Casual-easy is the new thing for MMORPG's. No longer do you have to use your brain in order to win.

Welcome to 2012, where winning is automatic!.

You aren't the only one who thinks this way. MMO's are boring now. The PvP is terrible and the genre is dead.

Have you tried the dungeons in GW2?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

Originally posted by rutaq

if you a running the same content over and over and losing then maybe you should look for an encounter not so challenging and come back when you are more powerful or have a new stratgey.

The whole "got a kid, have a real life, job "  is simply that an excuse.  if you want a challengless auto win game then play consoles and look up the cheat codes or one of the thousands od social games on facebook but please stop ruining it for the rest of us by temping the DEVs to water down MMOs with your disposable income.

What disposable income? I'm fairly broke. Also what's really ruining it for everyone is people with nostoglia trying to recapture the glory days of being on the highschool football team, wait...

Also sit back and really listen to what you said. I'm absolutely ruining it for you. Because this sole person here has started the decline of every game you enjoy.  And remember the reason we played those "challenging" games in the past was because we didn't have anything else. You played contra, super ghouls' n ghosts, battletoads and you liked it.

Now get off my lawn! 

• thexratedthexrated Member UncommonPosts: 1,368

Without a challenge, things can become meaningless. Some of the best moments I have had in MMOs is when my guild finally managed to beat content that majority of gamers deemed very hard. In WoW, the best moments happened in the vanilla, when you beat Ragnaros, Vael, Twin Emperors and many others. The sense of achievement is much stronger when the challenge is harder.

I would rather spend my two hours doing something challenging and meaningful, but I also have to say that games like MMOs can have content for everyone, but not everyone needs to be able to do all the content. There is no reason to exclude challenging content because not everyone is going to be able to complete it.

What MMOs need to do, is to bring the social aspects back to the core of the game design, especially when it comes to the end-game.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by thexrated

Without a challenge, things can become meaningless. Some of the best moments I have had in MMOs is when my guild finally managed to beat content that majority of gamers deemed very hard. In WoW, the best moments happened in the vanilla, when you beat Ragnaros, Vael, Twin Emperors and many others. The sense of achievement is much stronger when the challenge is harder.

You get that sense from themepark games? I don't because everything is scripted and once that script is figured out, its easy. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

• thekid1thekid1 Member UncommonPosts: 789

The personal story bit of the game is pretty bad. I didn't even bother at first and catched up from level 12 to 31. If you think Bethesda writing is bad... they are gods compared to this dribble.

The real pve is out in the world, exploring, finding and doing events. And some hearts, skill points and vistas along the way.

• xpiherxpiher Member UncommonPosts: 3,310
    Originally posted by thekid1

The personal story bit of the game is pretty bad. I didn't even bother at first and catched up from level 12 to 31. If you think Bethesda writing is bad... they are gods compared to this dribble.

The real pve is out in the world, exploring, finding and doing events. And some hearts, skill points and vistas along the way.

The personal story is a little meh, but I still enjoy it. Its classic fantasy. 

Games:
    Currently playing:Nothing
    Will play: Darkfall: Unholy Wars
    Past games:
    Guild Wars 2 - Xpiher Duminous
    Xpiher's GW2
    GW 1 - Xpiher Duminous
    Darkfall - Xpiher Duminous (NA) retired
    AoC - Xpiher (Tyranny) retired
    Warhammer - Xpiher

I've never really found a challenge in an MMO, since most usually have very easy ways to circumvent the challenge itself, such as a bug, like a blind spot on a boss, or just knowing the layout of the dungeon. My point is "challenging" doesn't have to mean monotonous. A gauntlet can be a challenge, until you memorize it, then it becomes a chore. 

Originally posted by xpiher

You get that sense from themepark games? I don't because everything is scripted and once that script is figured out, its easy. 

I do get that. The type of raiding that was in vanilla WoW and early TBC was like that, as long as you were in a good guild. The problem with the vanilla WoW was that not so many guilds were able to complete the harder raids, so Blizzard listened to the mass and changed their design philosophy. Don't take me wrong, some of the changes were actually good, like reducing the farming need for consumables.

And it is also not about learning the script, it is about getting many people to work together for a common goal. When you are in a good guild, the people in the guild is a reason enough for you to log on to do the raids. It is about socialising with like-minded people while doing something meaningful/challenging. This is why people join hobby and sports clubs in real-life as well. If you enjoy doing something, it is nice to share it with like-minded people.

I do understand that many people have had crappy raiding experiences. I think the reason is two fold. Firstly, their personality might not be suited for this kind of activity, nothing wrong with that. Secondly, they have never had the opportunity to join a good raiding guild, this is partly their own fault. It requires certain amount of dedication and effort. However, they also do not see that by putting that extra effort in early actually pays off at the end, as in the better guilds you generally have to spend less time with the content than with the crappy guilds.

"The person who experiences greatness must have a feeling for the myth he is in."

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

Ahgeuu ahh ahhaa  e ga beugeuhh, it's like crybaby language, the game is so mean .....Ouiinnnnn

I've never really found a challenge in an MMO, since most usually have very easy ways to circumvent the challenge itself, such as a bug, like a blind spot on a boss, or just knowing the layout of the dungeon. My point is "challenging" doesn't have to mean monotonous. A gauntlet can be a challenge, until you memorize it, then it becomes a chore. 

You are correct about that. The content has become easier in general, so that more people can complete it. This also means that more people will find it a chore quicker. It seems that MMO developers do not understand that the content needs to be so challenging that less than one percent can actually complete all of it. The hardest content should be really challenging. However, developers have made the content either too easy or meaningless, so that they cannot keep updating it fast enough. People no longer have nothing to look forwards to and they migrate to other games while waiting for content updates.

I never liked normal and heroic modes. I preferred the method of content progression when it was not possible to witness the harder content before you had managed to clear the easier. Seeing an easy version of a boss took a way a lot of meaning for me. This is what I also mention in the previous post.

To recap, the content can either be too easy, which in themepark MMO mean that,  a larger percentage of population will run out of it sooner. This would have to be kept up with more frequent content updates from developers. This has seldom been the case. The content can also become meaningless, when you do not receive approriate rewards from it or you can witness the earlier content with an easier mode.

If I had been Blizzard, I would have probably kept parts of raids easier,  like they did in the past. Then they had bosses that were either testing the gear or the ability of your raid. These bosses served a purpose of diving the population of those who can do and have made the effort, and to those who cannot and have not made the effort.  There needs to be some content that is only seen by the most dedicated players. This keeps them playing as they can feel somewhat special by accomplishing this very hard challenge. It also keeps them playing because they have generated a certain status in the server where people look up to them. It also gives slightly lesser guilds something to strive toward. In a sense, it creates friendly competitive environment that also forces people to socialice. It creates one type of server community around raiding.