Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So the next big MMO is?

tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

SWTOR and GW2 felt too much like more of the same to me, still grinding on mobs and doing battlegrounds. I don't like Planetside 2, just feels really poor as a shooter and nothing like Planetside, no surprise really as it is SOE.

Just can't see anything else right now....

just want that innovative genre defining title that we haven't had for 7 years, bored of the same old crap.

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    There's nothing that radically different on the horizon, unfortunately.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

If the foundry content creator in Neverwinter is good, then Neverwinter could be the next big thing. It all depends on how good the Foundry is though. Doesn't look as good a single player game editor like in NW1 (who expects it to be?) but it looks promising to me.

Judge for yourself, first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_7WgszhNN4

second part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzSBodMnPtU

If they do pull it off.. we'll basicaly have an MMO with unlimited content. I'd class unlimited content as something different. If the editor is especially good then the sky's the limit in terms of content variety and storytelling. Would be no need for endgame concerns when potentially hundreds or even thousands of new quests/dungeons appear every day thanks to other players.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,547
    Big Brother Online!

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• ThraliaThralia Member Posts: 219
    next one is definetly Wildstar for me! and then someday World of Darkness,.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    ArcheAge is probaly the next big one that most people are looking forward to but for some reason I think Wildstar will be the next mmo thats a huge success. I dont know why but I just believe it will be.
  • DestaiDestai Member Posts: 574
    Originally posted by tixylix

SWTOR and GW2 felt too much like more of the same to me, still grinding on mobs and doing battlegrounds. I don't like Planetside 2, just feels really poor as a shooter and nothing like Planetside, no surprise really as it is SOE.

just want that innovative genre defining title that we haven't had for 7 years, bored of the same old crap.

What are you expecting to be different? Please elaborate. 

• CujoSWAoACujoSWAoA Member UncommonPosts: 1,781

ArchAge is just another asian mmo. It'll come and go, disappear into the sunset.

Once the hype train starts for Elder Scrolls Online you'll see the herd of sheep start to follow it pretty heavily.

Beyond that, there isn't anything. WoW's negative influence on the gaming genre has finally killed companies interest in making new copies of WoW.

Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

ArchAge is just another asian mmo. It'll come and go, disappear into the sunset.

Yeah unfortunately I'm starting to feel that way.  I was really excited about AA at one point, then I saw it being played.  I might still pick it up, but by then there might be a better alternative.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,898
    Titan, whenever that releases.
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Titan
  • revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    Well I'm enjoying GW2 right now and Planetside 2 as well to be honest. My next most anticipated game is without a doubt ArcheAge and I recently started looking on Elder Scrolls Online as well, it looks intriguing (3 factions and 9 races and it looks like it's from the producer of DAOC), but I'm waiting for more info. There are also a handful of others like Wildstar and Neverwinter that I want to try out. I'm sorry but if you are looking for a revolutionary MMO, you won't find it. If you want one, go make one.
  • DominionlordDominionlord Member UncommonPosts: 180
    Looking forward to The Repopulation if/when that ever comes out. Wildstar looks like it has some promise also.
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

This video of the neverwinter foundry is actually much better than the ones I posted before. Only just found it myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Destai

What are you expecting to be different? Please elaborate. 

Just something that isn't the same tired crap that has come out from the genre. People say Guild Wars 2 is so different and yet it's still makre a character, run through a tutorial, do kill 10 rats quests, grind on mobs in "dynamic" events and run PVP battlegrounds. It's like the same old thing but worse because there is no open world PVP, just that Keep PVP crap which is a zergfest.

I remember back before WoW standardised the genre that every MMO was so different from each other. 

In fact forget all that just give me SWG Pre CU 2 or UO2.

Something that isn't a linear borefest like all these themepark mmos.

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288
    Originally posted by Vannor

This video of the neverwinter foundry is actually much better than the ones I posted before. Only just found it myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7pn7iU4EwTc

Is it seamless? I only play MMOs that aren't instanced and zoned up with loads of loading screens.

• grafhgrafh Member UncommonPosts: 320

archeage, Phantasy star online 2 if they can play thier cards right. Dont know of any other games that have my attention like these two.

And i fail to see how archeage is just another asian mmo? I wish people would stop saying asian mmo? There are many asian cultures and they each have thier own style. I can tell the difference between a korean, japanese, and chinese game. If you cant, please dont just say asian mmo.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Vannor

If the foundry content creator in Neverwinter is good, then Neverwinter could be the next big thing. It all depends on how good the Foundry is though. Doesn't look as good a single player game editor like in NW1 (who expects it to be?) but it looks promising to me.

Judge for yourself, first part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_7WgszhNN4

second part:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzSBodMnPtU

If they do pull it off.. we'll basicaly have an MMO with unlimited content. I'd class unlimited content as something different. If the editor is especially good then the sky's the limit in terms of content variety and storytelling. Would be no need for endgame concerns when potentially hundreds or even thousands of new quests/dungeons appear every day thanks to other players.

There is still a whole lot of 'ifs" with Neverwinter.  I used to be incredibly stoked over it but now am much more reserved judgement.  Models aren'looking all that great (noteably the dwarf), combat is still hardly known or how it will entice players (people bashed guilds wars 2 for limited skills while Neverwinter is way worsely limited skill number wise). character custimization extent is unkown.  Problem with modeling after D&D is that you really have to play your cards right or you will get raped by the fans.

Foundry is a great thing but it could also turn out to be a "meh" feature as it highly limits the players since there is no PW creations (persistent worlds) which are critical to the devoters of the NWN 1/2 games.

I just hope Neverwinter won't be a SWTOR or ESO in that it's an IP cash grab.

• ComafComaf Member UncommonPosts: 1,150

If you are talking about an mmoRPG than I would say Elder Scrolls Online.  People can snicker and make strange comments, but let's see the checklist here - paint the game with opinion in any fashion, but you will at least have to accept the following truths:

1.  Matt Firor helped develop Dark Age of Camelot's (DAoC) RvR

2.  Matt Firor is developing Elder Scrolls Online (ESO)

3.  Matt admittedly is taking his Daoc vision to this mmoRPG

4.  There are three TRUE factions, in other words:

5.  The races and classes you will be fighting aren't slightly different cosmetic adjustments (SW:ToR), or straight up skill tree mirrors and copy paste classes to factions (WoW/Rift) - this mmoRPG varies by far just for the sole fact that you will (DRUM ROLL)  get to fight enemies that have different races and classes than the people in your faction.

Why does this matter?  Because while I will admit that a red name over a player means he's an enemy no matter how different he looks or behaves in combat, the fact remains that the industry has been trying to copy the Asian market of quickly produced mmorpg F2P modeled games.  We have one mmo after another that will have the same 5 classes and races beating each other up for no benefit to anyone but a ladder ranking on a website.  ESO will finally rein in the lackluster performance and presentation of the industry, reminding players that they can indeed expect more than my Char Ranger fighting your Char ranger in a cartoony pvp zone.  Oh, and there will be a community as well.  I havn't seen that in years.

In ten years, folks aren't going to wipe a tear and relate to each other online as to why GW2 or SW:tor or Age of Conan or what have you - was so special.  Ten years after Dark Age of Camelot released, we still have an inordinate amount of folks saying how they loved the game - just wished it was updated.  EA/BIOWARE has neglected advancing DAoC - they couldn't even let the vet loyalists have a new server.  But hey, we will have ESO.

The gaming world will finally get to enjoy a full fledged mmoRPG that will not be presented as a massively multi player role playing game when in truth it's just a video game with lots of players -- it will be producing what it claims to produce - a true to form mmoRPG.

Let the 3 realm pvp begin .... okay, soon enough.  Until then?  I'll stick with Facebook Games and AMC tv shows.

/2 cents

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

FFXIV 2.0

/sarcasm off

WHHHY SE FRACKIN WWWHHYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649

Asheron's City:  Shadow Anarchy Assault and Beyond Online... that's the next big MMO I'm waiting on...

ACSAABO.

ACSAABO.

ACSAABO.

You hear the name being whispered from the deep recesses of your mind.

ACSAABO!

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

Wildstar

Neverwinter

Blade & Soul (US release)

Final Fantasy: A Realm Reborn

• jackwu10jackwu10 Member Posts: 127
    Originally posted by grafh

archeage, Phantasy star online 2 if they can play thier cards right. Dont know of any other games that have my attention like these two.

And i fail to see how archeage is just another asian mmo? I wish people would stop saying asian mmo? There are many asian cultures and they each have thier own style. I can tell the difference between a korean, japanese, and chinese game. If you cant, please dont just say asian mmo.

some of posters are just pure asian mmo haters, they hate for no reason, simply it's asian made. their passion for hating asian mmo is greater than their passion for enjoying games.

anyway. i agree that archage, eso, lineage 3 and titan are next big things, but i am  looking forward to ff14 realm reborn and blade & soul.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Eir_S

Yeah unfortunately I'm starting to feel that way.  I was really excited about AA at one point, then I saw it being played.  I might still pick it up, but by then there might be a better alternative.

AA is jsut a glorified themepark much in the same token as GW2.  This is my personal Opinion but the things AA is doing dont interest me and plus they have the whole asian style combat/UI/Animation going on.  None of which interest me in the least.

I am hoping for good things from TESO, I honestly think after its dismal reception alot of players will be pleasantly surprised  in its model (barring thye can overlook the fact it isnt Skyrim ported over pixel per pixel and system per system).  For me this is a good thing.

I am also looking forward to Neverwinter fro mthe vids ive seen it looks great but I am hoping Perfect World doesnt ruin.  Then theres The WarZ which is looking more and more like a winner in the progression centric survivability mode of gameplay.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• VirusDancerVirusDancer Member UncommonPosts: 3,649
    Originally posted by grafh

Well... that's a tough one, because although it may not be PC to say so - they're not wrong.

The more PC thing for them to say might be that it's just another non-Western MMO.  It's not so much that the game's Asian/Eastern/etc... it's that it's not Western.

It doesn't matter if it's Korean, Japanese, or Chinese.  That doesn't change that they're not Western.  It's not about they're all the same (which obviously they're not) - it's about them being different.

So while it might come off as more PC to say they're non-Western...in the end, they're still saying the same thing.  If it's somethign that somebody would be insulted by, it doesn't really matter how it's said.  Heck, trying to butter it up might even be more insulting to some.

It's something to keep in mind though, we've got folks posting from all around the world.  Even the "Western" thing's going to be off, because much like Eastern games are not all alike, neither are Western games.

Can make it tough, what's big in X might not even be tiny in Y... then you get into even if Player A and Player B are both in X; it doesn't mean they're the same.  Different folks for different strokes...

I'm not really looking forward to any of the games on the horizon at this point.  If I could afford it, I'd play TSW.  As is, I tend to bemoan the games that are lost and grumble bitterly that no games are coming along like them.

Makes me think of Expendables and Expendables 2.  Why are they doing well?  Well, because we didn't have any action heroes... so we needed to bring out our old AARP action heroes to get our fix.  Twisted, eh?

I want the Expednables/Expendables 2 MMO (no, not an actual Expendables game) - I want somebody to bring back one of the good games.  Because I need that fix.  Twisted, eh?

I miss the MMORPG genre. Will a developer ever make one again?

Explorer: 87%, Killer: 67%, Achiever: 27%, Socializer: 20%

Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Eir_S

AA is jsut a glorified themepark much in the same token as GW2.  This is my personal Opinion but the things AA is doing dont interest me and plus they have the whole asian style combat/UI/Animation going on.  None of which interest me in the least.

I am hoping for good things from TESO, I honestly think after its dismal reception alot of players will be pleasantly surprised  in its model (barring thye can overlook the fact it isnt Skyrim ported over pixel per pixel and system per system).  For me this is a good thing.

I am also looking forward to Neverwinter fro mthe vids ive seen it looks great but I am hoping Perfect World doesnt ruin.  Then theres The WarZ which is looking more and more like a winner in the progression centric survivability mode of gameplay.

Yeah, some of the things AA is doing have caught my attention from the beginning, but I guess when the reality hit me once combat gameplay footage was up, it lost a bit of its shine.  Who knows, it could still turn out to be incredibly fun and profitable for the company that makes it, but in the west?  I doubt it.

The thing people need to understand about TESO is that TES goes a lot further than Skyrim.  Just because it's the most recent game doesn't mean the focus of the MMO should be on it, the land of Tamriel is just gigantic and maybe this will be the first MMO that makes a continent that feels like a continent and not a big town.  Honestly, I haven't done a lot of research on this game yet, so I don't know what to expect, but seeing as all of the TES games have been (arguably) incredible, I have the feeling the guys in charge of those games will make TESO as fun as they can.  Oh, and there's got to be a first person mode...