Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Gold sellers

13»

Comments

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by Lord.Bachus

Overhere in europe, goldsellers are everywhere, spamming their advertisements and using hacked accounts to do so.

Sad thing is that i need to report every single one of them, knowing that it will in the end hurt the players that have been hacked.

Personally i hold players that buy gold from goldsellers responsible for this, they are the single reason goldsellers are still advertising, selling and hacking accounts.  So please people if you need to buy gold, buy it with gems from the gemshop. Its the only way to stop the hacking. 

completely agree, oh and don't feel bad about reporting regular players, they can get their account back and it's normally them doing something crazy that got them there in the first place. (like using the same login password they use for this website for example)

Tho i have to point out, the gold farmers already are earning gold from other games. I support not buying gold from these people but this is by far not the only game they are doing this kind of thing in and those other games are supporting them. GW2 is just the latest in a long line to be attacked.

• DoomedfoxDoomedfox Member UncommonPosts: 679
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Doomedfox
    Originally posted by Kuro1n

Wait what? People give out their information to gold sellers just like that? ._.

I dont really know but how else could your account be in danger from buying gold?

Well, for one thing you have to pay them, so chanses are high that they will get your mail account. And just by getting an ingame mail will they see your accountname (like icdud.1234 or something) and they can run that through a whole bunch of stolen databases to see if you used that before.

So mail and accountname that you used somewhere else as well, and they know you played.

By just having yor mail you never used before things are a lot harder but they can still crack it, particularly is you have an easy password.

Anyways, since you actually can buy legal gold, buying stolen means the person doing it probably is an idiot and they are usually easy to trick. Dont buy stolen stuff, M'OKAY.

Ok that makes sense.

But who would be that stupid?

If i would purchase something from a side i do not trust 100% i would not use my Normal Emails i would creat a new one and only use it for this purpose.

I also would only send ingame messages or communicate over Email using the Email i created for that purpose.

As for the Idiot comment i would have to partialy agree however its hard to call someone an idiot who just spend 10$ on something i would have to soend 50$ on (the numbers are only examples i actually do not know the real difference other than that its a big one)

Spend 10 bucks trade the gold into gems unlock all storage and extra account slots and have some left...well thats a lot of things but not stupid lol 

On top of that GW2 is B2P and very succesfull so far with it so that shows (at least to me) that MMO players dont want to spend much money on there Hobby anymore so why would this crowd not use the opportunities to save even more? 

• TsaboHavocTsaboHavoc Member UncommonPosts: 435
    Originally posted by TsaboHavoc
    So, some idiots are getting hacked cause they bought gold and hacks from goldsellers, then the players that play the game in a legit form report the hacked acc being used by the scammers and BAM the idiots lose 60$ and have to buy another copy, oh this cycle is so sweet. :)

Except that we get spammed by the goldsellers.

But since you cant trade ANET can easily see if you bought gold from a stolen account and ban you even if it didnt get stolen. That is the real reason you cant trade and must use mail. 

If a hijacked account sends 50 gold to someone else in mail, do you think that is suspicious or not? And if you would be a GM, would you ban the other account?

ban the hijacked only and purge the gold?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Homitu

Also, I don't know if it's been brought up yet, but the gem > gold rate is not the same as the gold > gem rate.  For example, 1g might get you 370 gems, but if you try to buy gold using 370 gems, you might only get 60 silver.  Anyone have a concrete reason for this?  Is this just a result of so many more people trying to buy gold with gems than vice versa recently?

Probably, we will see if that hypotesis is true in a few months when I think more people will buy gems for gold.

A lot of players started at the same time and some people constantly need money (me too but crafting is surprisingly rewarding here and earn me all gold I need).  

But once you have an 80 or 2 a few gold is nothing to give you more bankslots and bags.

• Dave3216Dave3216 Member Posts: 133

Well I still think its a minor problem for sheltered people like us who have the privilege to play games and stuff and not fighting for food. That discussion is way to big though and quite off topic so better not go there I guess. :p

However it is kinda the players fault IF they got their account stolen by having the same password and email etc on several sites. Common sense is rare these days you know. Ofc there are other ways this can happen, so I'm not saying everyone who get their account compromised is stupid. Just the majority is by something that I believe could easily have been prevented.

Agreed (I dont really see people fighting for food would run a scam like this anyways but it is a luxuary problem).

And yes, people with bad internet security, particularly the ones attracting attention of the goldsellers by buying it do get hacked a lot more often than more paranoid users.

I wouldnt call those people stupid thought, lacking knowledge is not the same thing as being stupid and not all people are net geeks.

Im usually with you on bad internet security ( im paranoid about internet security, always use the on screen keyboard to log on), but i had a curious incident yesterday with gw2. I had run my internet security plus spy bot and anti malware, before playing GW2. All clear no probs. So i played for a few hours, logged off shut down computer went to bed. so i wake up about 8 hours later start up the comp and run my pre playing security routine.

You wouldnt believe it i found a trojan that steals passwords among other things. Now I know gw2 had problems with trading post and account asecurity at the start, thats why it was always down, poeple had accounts comprimised through the trading post. The only way that trojan could of possibly got in by my reckoning was during my gameplay on gw2. I caught the trojan in time nothing was comprimised, but it makes you think how does this happen.

I was always of the opinion you get hacked or you buy gold from sellers and your account is comprimised its your fault. I also never "trusted", i did nothing wrong i got hacked people aswell. This incident has opened my eyes. Any suggestions how this happened? I can only think TP still has issues. Also make sure you guys run scans after playing gw2 to be sure. Cheers

P.S. Yesterday before the patch I swapped 3 gold for 1000 gems. After patch 1 gold was getting only 200 gems. So you need to watch the market to get best gems deals. It is quite reasonable to do it the right way. eg not buying from sellers

Originally posted by Doomedfox

Ok that makes sense.

But who would be that stupid?

If i would purchase something from a side i do not trust 100% i would not use my Normal Emails i would creat a new one and only use it for this purpose.

I also would only send ingame messages or communicate over Email using the Email i created for that purpose.

As for the Idiot comment i would have to partialy agree however its hard to call someone an idiot who just spend 10$ on something i would have to soend 50$ on (the numbers are only examples i actually do not know the real difference other than that its a big one)

Spend 10 bucks trade the gold into gems unlock all storage and extra account slots and have some left...well thats a lot of things but not stupid lol 

On top of that GW2 is B2P and very succesfull so far with it so that shows (at least to me) that MMO players dont want to spend much money on there Hobby anymore so why would this crowd not use the opportunities to save even more? 

Smart players usually can get gold ingame pretty fast. Heck, just crafting rare lvl 35 items give you 40-50 silver for each item and a few of them are a lot more than you need at that level, particularly since one takes about 15-20 minutes to farm. And that is lvl 35, at higher levels you get more.

Goldsellers wont accept paypal so you will have to pay them with your creditcard, and giving ypur creditcard number to a criminal might not be the perfect idea either.

If I wanted to buy gold 'I think safety would be worth more. If you buy gems and dont get them you just contact ANET, if someone rips you off on gold who do you tell then? 

So not worth it.

Myself, I do the opposite and buy gems with gold, just got another bankslot today. 

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

Yeah I found it strange seeing the typical gold selling in the world chat.  What I never got was how do these hacked sellers get gold where they can sell it for cheaper than market cost?  Do they hack the system to give them more gold than they have?

Definitely shouldnt be supported, but never understood the demand for it in the first place.

Originally posted by Dave3216

Im usually with you on bad internet security ( im paranoid about internet security, always use the on screen keyboard to log on), but i had a curious incident yesterday with gw2. I had run my internet security plus spy bot and anti malware, before playing GW2. All clear no probs. So i played for a few hours, logged off shut down computer went to bed. so i wake up about 8 hours later start up the comp and run my pre playing security routine.

You wouldnt believe it i found a trojan that steals passwords among other things. Now I know gw2 had problems with trading post and account asecurity at the start, thats why it was always down, poeple had accounts comprimised through the trading post. The only way that trojan could of possibly got in by my reckoning was during my gameplay on gw2. I caught the trojan in time nothing was comprimised, but it makes you think how does this happen.

I was always of the opinion you get hacked or you buy gold from sellers and your account is comprimised its your fault. I also never "trusted", i did nothing wrong i got hacked people aswell. This incident has opened my eyes. Any suggestions how this happened? I can only think TP still has issues. Also make sure you guys run scans after playing gw2 to be sure. Cheers

Yeah, stuff like this happens sometimes as well. I wont say that it is 100% that you got it from the game, it could have been there earlier and your antivirus just got updated or something.

But yes, viruses are a problem as well, as is any malware and even hackers breaking through your firewall.

I did not say all people who get their accounts hijacked gets so because of bad security, but most of them do.

I for one use a pop3 server mail just for the game, that makes things a lot harder since I have to accept that another IP than mine uses it. POP3 servers are a lot harder to get access to than hotmail and similar.

Originally posted by darkhalf357x

Yeah I found it strange seeing the typical gold selling in the world chat.  What I never got was how do these hacked sellers get gold where they can sell it for cheaper than market cost?  Do they hack the system to give them more gold than they have?

Definitely shouldnt be supported, but never understood the demand for it in the first place.

Nah, they usually just hack the account, sell everything on it and mailing it to their bank guy. After that they start to spamm, the account is useless for them then unless they use it as bank and I assume they change that often.

It is sheer numbers, they have already gotten into 3000 accounts and that was last week. 

And of course they do know some people who recently got a lot of gold, and might have mail adress and account name for them as well.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    They can sell it for less because gems are overpriced, plain and simple.  Yes, the price goes up with demand.  But it doesn't go down to 0 with 0 demand.  There's a base price, a multiplier, and an algorithm involving demand.  NCsoft controls most of this formula. 
  • Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775

I was always of the opinion you get hacked or you buy gold from sellers and your account is comprimised its your fault. I also never "trusted", i did nothing wrong i got hacked people aswell. This incident has opened my eyes. Any suggestions how this happened? I can only think TP still has issues. Also make sure you guys run scans after playing gw2 to be sure. Cheers

Yeah, stuff like this happens sometimes as well. I wont say that it is 100% that you got it from the game, it could have been there earlier and your antivirus just got updated or something.

But yes, viruses are a problem as well, as is any malware and even hackers breaking through your firewall.

I did not say all people who get their accounts hijacked gets so because of bad security, but most of them do.

I for one use a pop3 server mail just for the game, that makes things a lot harder since I have to accept that another IP than mine uses it. POP3 servers are a lot harder to get access to than hotmail and similar.

IMAP is usually the standard though, I don't think many MMORPG players are still using pop3 tbh. :p

• MercAngelMercAngel Member Posts: 204

IMAP is usually the standard though, I don't think many MMORPG players are still using pop3 tbh. :p

IMAP bad bad bad that is one easy way to let a hacker in if you do not watch what you are doing IMAP keeps the mail on your client and the server linked so if you change one the other gets change

• snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    What is even worse the it is far cheaper than buying gems from Anet and converting to gold. Anets conversion is pretty steep.

YOu guys are missing the part when gold has flooded the economy and its then cheaper to by gems then gold, right now there isnt much wealth (gold in the game) so the exchange rate favors gold.  This will change over time making gold farmers have to work twice as hard as they do now to earn the same amount.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722

gold sellers only plague popular games that have many players because they know there are twats who buy gold and get their account stolen...95% of the gold sellers ive seen in GW2 have actual names........ gold sellers tend to use "dkshjgflk" as names... so yeah those are hacked accounts.

EDIT: its lame, those thieves rob in person then go to jail in china and start robbing online.... damn gold sellers should die.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    Originally posted by MercAngel

IMAP bad bad bad that is one easy way to let a hacker in if you do not watch what you are doing IMAP keeps the mail on your client and the server linked so if you change one the other gets change

Well IMAP is not bad actually, having your messages stored on gmail or hotmail is standard IMAP, it's what most people use, me included and I never had any problems even without a proper antivirus. It's all about keeping your computer in an okay state and regularly change passwords, check through it often and try to ghost it etc.

POP3 can be problematic also as you download the mail from the server and once its gone from the server its only on your PC, if you dont make backups you might lose information.

In the end it comes down to personal preference I'd say. ;p

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Well, some of those goldsellers advertise powerlvling services for karma etc. If that means that some players are retarded enough to hand over their account info for powerlvling , I also expect that those goldsellers will steal those accounts later on to use for their advertising ingame :p No hacking needed if players willingly hand over account info lol.

So if my reporting leads to a ban of those players stolen accounts, then I'm not just fighting goldsellers, but also the demand for goldsellers :p Sounds like win-win to me.

I also expect that goldselling websites will try to infect your pc with an information stealing trojan. It is not as if they openly have to defend their reputation like other websites.