Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My Main Issues With GW2

Comments

• WootloopsWootloops Member UncommonPosts: 165
    Originally posted by loulaki

please mail me your stuff : )

I'd probably get banned for exploiting somehow.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by Wootloops
    Originally posted by loulaki

please mail me your stuff : )

I'd probably get banned for exploiting somehow.

Likely excuse for not having anything worth sending. The great truth you proclaim is a lie, that much is clear. Your understanding of this game is scant at best and you wont be missed when you go back to WoW.

• NethermancerNethermancer Member Posts: 520
    I think "go back to WoW"really fits nicely here even though i usually think its a worthless comment. All those things you said about pvp can be found in WoW and THE VERY REASON why I love GW2 pvp is because it moves away from all the terrible pvp flaws WoW has.

Playing: PO, EVE
    Waiting for: WoD
    Favourite MMOs: VG, EVE, FE and DDO
    Any person who expresses rage and loathing for an MMO is preposterous. He or she is like a person who has put on full armor and attacked a hot fudge sundae.

Originally posted by Rokurgepta

Likely excuse for not having anything worth sending. The great truth you proclaim is a lie, that much is clear. Your understanding of this game is scant at best and you wont be missed when you go back to WoW.

Some people fear truth, but they will be enlightened in time.

Originally posted by Nethermancer
    I think "go back to WoW"really fits nicely here even though i usually think its a worthless comment. All those things you said about pvp can be found in WoW and THE VERY REASON why I love GW2 pvp is because it moves away from all the terrible pvp flaws WoW has.

Obviously the things I said about PvP were in WoW, as I was making a comparison to WoW. And WoW might be better, but it's still not good enough. The genre needs to progress, not go backwards with every new game, which is why GW2 must be sacrificed just like SWTOR was, until companies realize they need to truly make something better than WoW. GW2 must be destroyed.

• Oracle_FefeOracle_Fefe Member CommonPosts: 221
    Originally posted by Nethermancer

Obviously the things I said about PvP were in WoW, as I was making a comparison to WoW. And WoW might be better, but it's still not good enough. The genre needs to progress, not go backwards with every new game, which is why GW2 must be sacrificed just like SWTOR was, until companies realize they need to truly make something better than WoW. GW2 must be destroyed.

I must apologize, but this is one of the best cases where "Go back to WoW" would really work. However this is obviously a jokepost done quite well. But, I shall take the bait and go along with the action so not as to ruin the moment.

Judging by the posts I have been reading. It seems like you focus too hard on comparing this game to World of Warcraft. Yes, I can understand a slight comparison but you are practically saying "Since this isn't a better WoW, this game just isn't what the genre needs."

All genres are supposed to have variety. There are supposed to be different ideas at different prices, models, and reactions. Yes, not everyone will lke GW2. I honestly feel a bit bored of it myself after being burnt out on the weekends.

The MMO genre will not progress if every game released has to be a better World of Warcraft. There is a reason why people refuse to play games because it seems like a simple "WoW-clone". The only case in which this WAS accepted was when World of Warcraft was considered an "EQ-clone" and no one even cared. Now, people do care because everyone is apparantly a critic whose voice controls the entire opinion.

There is a reason why World of Warcraft's classes are well-balanced. That is because they released years and expansions ago. After many player opinions, FotMs, and talent rebuilds they had well enough time to shape out the game. However, don't you remember when the game was rock paper scissors?

Don't you remember when Warriors were beaten by everything except Rogues?

Don't you remember when everything lost to Rogues?

Don't you remember when Rogues destroyed everyone except warriors? There is even a VIDEO showing a rogue naked with daggers doing such a thing. Yes, he was very, very skilled. But the gear difference (Stat wise, near-absolute zero to leather armor.) should have downplayed his playability.

GW2 only released for a few weeks. The only issues I see are Thieves and Warriors practically using cookie cutter combos to win. However, ever played the Mesmer that focuses on phantasms? What of the Elementalist with 15-16k hp and a crapton of healing power while he is on water?

Should we expect everything to be as fun as every other game, when the new game just released? At first yes because it's new, then we want something else. We want fixes, more exitement, balances, etc.

• stratasaurusstratasaurus Member Posts: 220
    Originally posted by Fadedbomb

So you're saying because GW2 =/= WoW that WoW is better?

This is the most subjective post i've seen in awhile (short of that top 9 things GW2 does better than other MMO's thread).

Not trying to be a jerk, but that is exactly how your thread came off after reading it.

DUH of course it is going to be subjective, read the title it says "My Main Issues with GW2" pretty much tells you it is going to be his subjective look and issues with the game.  I see no reason why if you are only interested in non-personalized objective threads you would of even opened this one.

Originally posted by Oracle_Fefe

I must apologize, but this is one of the best cases where "Go back to WoW" would really work. However this is obviously a jokepost done quite well. But, I shall take the bait and go along with the action so not as to ruin the moment.

Judging by the posts I have been reading. It seems like you focus too hard on comparing this game to World of Warcraft. Yes, I can understand a slight comparison but you are practically saying "Since this isn't a better WoW, this game just isn't what the genre needs."

All genres are supposed to have variety. There are supposed to be different ideas at different prices, models, and reactions. Yes, not everyone will lke GW2. I honestly feel a bit bored of it myself after being burnt out on the weekends.

The MMO genre will not progress if every game released has to be a better World of Warcraft. There is a reason why people refuse to play games because it seems like a simple "WoW-clone". The only case in which this WAS accepted was when World of Warcraft was considered an "EQ-clone" and no one even cared. Now, people do care because everyone is apparantly a critic whose voice controls the entire opinion.

There is a reason why World of Warcraft's classes are well-balanced. That is because they released years and expansions ago. After many player opinions, FotMs, and talent rebuilds they had well enough time to shape out the game. However, don't you remember when the game was rock paper scissors?

Don't you remember when Warriors were beaten by everything except Rogues?

Don't you remember when everything lost to Rogues?

Don't you remember when Rogues destroyed everyone except warriors? There is even a VIDEO showing a rogue naked with daggers doing such a thing. Yes, he was very, very skilled. But the gear difference (Stat wise, near-absolute zero to leather armor.) should have downplayed his playability.

GW2 only released for a few weeks. The only issues I see are Thieves and Warriors practically using cookie cutter combos to win. However, ever played the Mesmer that focuses on phantasms? What of the Elementalist with 15-16k hp and a crapton of healing power while he is on water?

Should we expect everything to be as fun as every other game, when the new game just released? At first yes because it's new, then we want something else. We want fixes, more exitement, balances, etc.

Analogy:

I'm eating a plain hamburger and you come running down the street making great proclamations of your new hamburger innovaton, and you give me a 2 month old hamburger with a fresh piece of cheese on top and tell me to eat it instead. I dislike the cheeseburger and explain to you why I'm going to continue eating my hamburger; namely, that while the cheese may be a fine addition, it doesn't make up for the fact that the rest of the burger is aweful compared to mine. Then, you say I only dislike the cheeseburger because it isn't a typical hamburger and storm off in a fury of rage. The next day, you see me eating a hamburger with lettace and tomato and your brain implodes like a dying star, creating a black hole which consumes your body, leaving no trace of you left to be found. If only you had listened and realized that it wasn't that I disliked the cheeseburger because it wasn't a typical hamburger, it was that it was fudgin 2 months old.

Moral of the story:

Out of GW2's worthy features, the value of those which it shares with WoW and which WoW does better, outweighs the value of those which GW2 does better, and those which differentiate it from WoW.

There are a great many potential worthy differentiating features which GW2 could have had and which would have compelled me to choose it over WoW, but it was blind and chose not to implement them. Even if it was just an on par WoW clone with a piece of cheese on top, I could have been compelled to choose it over WoW. But in my eyes it's just an inferior WoW clone with a piece of cheese on top, and the cheese doesn't make up for everything else.

Also, I don't really have an issue with the balance, I have an issue with the autoattacking.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    You analogy is obviously flawed - you make you burger better tasting- a better analogy is that both burgers taste equally good, and the rest comes Down to the dressings. Personally I would say that the original burgers have a problem- the bread is a bit stale. It's really easy to create analogies with bias.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Originally posted by Bladestrom
    You analogy is obviously flawed - you make you burger better tasting- a better analogy is that both burgers taste equally good, and the rest comes Down to the dressings. Personally I would say that the original burgers have a problem- the bread is a bit stale. It's really easy to create analogies with bias.

It is only your subjective bias which makes you believe that I am biased and that the burgers taste equally good. What I stated was objective truth.

• redman875redman875 Member Posts: 230

It is only your subjective bias which makes you believe that I am biased and that the burgers taste equally good. What I stated was objective truth.

Well ive seen your OP complaints elewhere and by other people, so your not the only one who feels this wat.

Your mistake was to compare it to another game, which on these forums automatically makes you biased and wrong.  To top it off you mentioned world of warcraft, and that put people into a frenzy.  Rather than address the issue and perhaps talk about solutions the easiest path to take is to  focus in on how you  1. play wow and 2. seem to like wow better.  This is why 90 of these posts are the way they are.

I wouldnt even bother to argue with these people, youll get better results convincing people to switch political parties on a forum since its basically the same frame of mind and the same methods of argument.

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001
    Lol you realise I was acknowledging my own bias dont you? You maybe should read your own posts and imagine you don't love wow, and then ask- is he being objective? The only fact you can validate is that games grow stale over time.

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

Lol you realise I was acknowledging my own bias dont you? You maybe should read your own posts and imagine you don't love wow, and then ask- is he being objective? The only fact you can validate is that games grow stale over time.

Well at least you know you're biased.

Originally posted by redman875

Well ive seen your OP complaints elewhere and by other people, so your not the only one who feels this wat.

Your mistake was to compare it to another game, which on these forums automatically makes you biased and wrong.  To top it off you mentioned world of warcraft, and that put people into a frenzy.  Rather than address the issue and perhaps talk about solutions the easiest path to take is to  focus in on how you  1. play wow and 2. seem to like wow better.  This is why 90 of these posts are the way they are.

I wouldnt even bother to argue with these people, youll get better results convincing people to switch political parties on a forum since its basically the same frame of mind and the same methods of argument.

Have faith my young padawan. The darkness which blinds them can only but yield to the light, and the light of my truth shines bright.

• AdiarisAdiaris Member CommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by JimmyYO
    Originally posted by SteeJanz
    Originally posted by JimmyYO

GW2 is a good game, just not a great one due to glaring issues. The first being if you enjoy competitve PvP there is no point to leveling at all. I was rolling with my level 80 PvP buddies while I'm level 2 and they're all wondering why they wasted so much time in a PvE that doesn't matter. Even to PvE players it doesn't matter because theres absolutely nothing to do at 80.

You should at least be able to make your PvP armor match your PvE....IN THE LOBBY. The PvP is alot funner then WoW's imo, much more fast paced and skillful. WoW arenas are like a game of chess wheres GW's is more like Contact Sports. There's a reason one is watched over the other.

That said WoW is much more polished and intelligently designed, aka player retention in mind. But it also has a monthly fee so it's a close decision really. PvE wise I think WoW wins no contest just because there is at least some purpose after max level. I think the PvP is much better in GW 2 though, much more esport viable.

Speaking PVE here, but in all honesty there is plenty to do in GW2.  The only thing WOW has is raids.  But have you been to the last 3 zones in GW2.  I bet it is impossible to control all the waypoints in any of those maps.  YOu could spend and infinite amount of time in those zones fighting to retain or retake areas.  Is it a raid, no.  But I would almost be willing to bet that a 25 man raid group couldn't control every way point in the entire map.  Because by the time you got to the 19th one, the first would be taken over again.   There are countless chest to get gear from, and the karma gear from the vendors in those areas are very cool.  So the rewards are the same as raids, just a different type of content.  I am sure some will like one way or the other but to say that it lacks end game is wrong.  It's just not the endgame you like.

It's really not endgame though. It's more of a gimmick that you can get bored of in a single day for intangible rewards. I'm not even remotely alone when I say the only thing to really do in GW2 at 80 is reroll. Oh and enjoy the lack of any socializing whatsoever the entire way to 80. This is a single player game disguised as an MMO, Diablo 3 style.

80 is just a number, not sure why ppl don't get this or expect the game to be different at 80. It isn't.  I loved my run to 80, and I love my time at 80 which is spent doing all the stuff I did before plus explorable dungeons and Orr.

Analogy:

I'm eating a plain hamburger and you come running down the street making great proclamations of your new hamburger innovaton, and you give me a 2 month old hamburger with a fresh piece of cheese on top and tell me to eat it instead. I dislike the cheeseburger and explain to you why I'm going to continue eating my hamburger; namely, that while the cheese may be a fine addition, it doesn't make up for the fact that the rest of the burger is aweful compared to mine. Then, you say I only dislike the cheeseburger because it isn't a typical hamburger and storm off in a fury of rage. The next day, you see me eating a hamburger with lettace and tomato and your brain implodes like a dying star, creating a black hole which consumes your body, leaving no trace of you left to be found. If only you had listened and realized that it wasn't that I disliked the cheeseburger because it wasn't a typical hamburger, it was that it was fudgin 2 months old.

Moral of the story:

Out of GW2's worthy features, the value of those which it shares with WoW and which WoW does better, outweighs the value of those which GW2 does better, and those which differentiate it from WoW.

There are a great many potential worthy differentiating features which GW2 could have had and which would have compelled me to choose it over WoW, but it was blind and chose not to implement them. Even if it was just an on par WoW clone with a piece of cheese on top, I could have been compelled to choose it over WoW. But in my eyes it's just an inferior WoW clone with a piece of cheese on top, and the cheese doesn't make up for everything else.

Also, I don't really have an issue with the balance, I have an issue with the autoattacking.

In that case tell me. What do you believe of the following:

TERA, Rift, Star Trek Online, FFXIV.

And to add some originality: Mabinogi and Vindictus.

Are they all just burgers with different dressings? I don't see how some games can be compared unless they are a full-on WoW clone. Guild Wars 2 does have WoW mechanics in some ways but that doesn't mean it is a clone in any way. To call a game to be a WoW clone would be comparing it with the other clones in the genre. If they all play the exact same, then yes it is a WoW-clone.

Anywho, if you have an issue with the autoattacking, roll a Sword Mesmer, Staff Elementalist, or an engineer using a kit. Sometimes you have to make your own challenges (Going back to the case where I mentioned a video about a 60 rogue owning pretty much every class whilst naked.)

• NixlNixl Member Posts: 67

I have not touched GW2 yet, but this thread is strangely reminiscient of the TOR threads.  Common answer is "go back to WoW."  Ignoring the WoW analogies, if someone has a criticism I do not think "go back to WoW' strengthens the rebuttal at all. Although, I think I counted at least 2-3 posts that tried(kudos to them).  Was no one else around for the ToR threads?

Anyways, I have to admit I had MoP and GW2 on my games list, however some of the criticisms thus far make GW2 feel like another D3.  Fun journey,but little to work towards after max level.  I think I was right to hold off on GW2 for the moment.  Not a bad game, but I do not want to spend $60 for only 70-80 hours of play at the moment. 

Anywho, if you have an issue with the autoattacking, roll a Sword Mesmer, Staff Elementalist, or an engineer using a kit. Sometimes you have to make your own challenges (Going back to the case where I mentioned a video about a 60 rogue owning pretty much every class whilst naked.)

To be fair, I do not think the entirety of his argument is based on the skill requirement of the classes, but rather givng players something to work towards whether that be gear or title.  As an RPG player who loved Morrowind that does resonate with me.  Furthermore, the roguecraft videos were a mockery of vanilla WoW's class system.  If someone has to impair themselves to get a slight challenge, something is wrong in certain respects.  With Roguecraft the rogue wore full caster (druid) gear and a caster staff , yet still managed to kill decent PVP players. 

I still laugh at that video today, so thank you for remining me of it.

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

How can you review something without understanding a thing about it?

Just back to WoW please, get a ticket to boring and goodbye.

The down fall of guild wars 2, designed with intend to make the player think and react.

Flatliners are not welcome in Guild wars 2.

Originally posted by Bushi131

How can you review something without understanding a thing about it?

Just back to WoW please, get a ticket to boring and goodbye.

The down fall of guild wars 2, designed with intend to make the player think and react.

Flatliners are not welcome in Guild wars 2.

Not to sound rude, but now this is very much like the TOR threads.    In fact, this also sounds like War.

I mean, really?   You basically assume that anyone does not like GW2 is wrong and must like "boring" things.  You did even analyze is critique and you just tried to pass off a subjective thought as objective. 

I am really not trying to sound rude, but come on.  This is the SAME logic used in ToR, War, Aion, AoC, etc. 

• graskgrask Member Posts: 1
    Did I just read WoW and sandbox in the same sentence?
    Originally posted by Nixl

I have not touched GW2 yet, but this thread is strangely reminiscient of the TOR threads.  Common answer is "go back to WoW."  Ignoring the WoW analogies, if someone has a criticism I do not think "go back to WoW' strengthens the rebuttal at all. Although, I think I counted at least 2-3 posts that tried(kudos to them).  Was no one else around for the ToR threads?

Anyways, I have to admit I had MoP and GW2 on my games list, however some of the criticisms thus far make GW2 feel like another D3.  Fun journey,but little to work towards after max level.  I think I was right to hold off on GW2 for the moment.  Not a bad game, but I do not want to spend $60 for only 70-80 hours of play at the moment. 

To be fair, I do not think the entirety of his argument is based on the skill requirement of the classes, but rather givng players something to work towards whether that be gear or title.  As an RPG player who loved Morrowind that does resonate with me.  Furthermore, the roguecraft videos were a mockery of vanilla WoW's class system.  If someone has to impair themselves to get a slight challenge, something is wrong in certain respects.  With Roguecraft the rogue wore full caster (druid) gear and a caster staff , yet still managed to kill decent PVP players. 

I still laugh at that video today, so thank you for remining me of it.

I picked that specific video mainly because it was the closest reminiscense  to the beginning of World of Warcraft that is widely known. Guild Wars 2 is currently in it's beginning, too. However, people these days are much more critical and believe they are the sole important person (Playing a game that is even mediocre could be seen as wasting time of their life to them, for example. It's one of the major reasons why people say this or that MMO is bad and they are going back to WoW/EVE/EQ.) We did know back then that rogues were very powerful a person could impair themselves and still win.

However, by "make your own challenges" I do not mean weaken yourself but try out something new. My Mesmer build consists of summoning phantasms as I stack toughness, vitality, and cc removal/dampeners. This Elementalist build takes on a different approach to Eles, having them support and be very, very survival-like. There are some annoying autoattacking builds (Necro and engineer comes to mind.) But a FotM doesn't always win in any case.

I admit it myself, I have no incentive to get to 80. PvE gets repetitive after a while and it just feels like go to zone, 100% it, go to nother zone. However, there is a type of player that has fun with that. Just like how there is a type of player that has fun with big blasts and cool attacks. There is also one type that has fun in beating others, and there is one that has fun with lore.

Johnny, Timmy, Spike, and Vorthos in respective order (And they all can be broken down into more branches). Judging by OP, he seems to be a Johnny/Timmy. He wants an incentive to keep on going and expects changes and big new things to come up as he goes along with the story. Because he focuses on wanting some sort of incentive in sPvP he is bored that there is no good benefits coming to him as he plays( He isn't Vorthos or a goodlookin timmy who wants goodlookin armor.) I can presume the Timmy side of him prefers big blasting combos, but dislikes autoattacking obviously. That is why I offered certain thoughts on specs.

I'm a Timmy/Spike. I just want to win in PvP and have fun doing it. I don't care about my armor looks, or getting the next rank to get armor (Unless armor gave stats, then I'd get it just for the sake of maximizing stats.) My only incentive to play is to win, and my final goal could even be monthly or that yearly tournament that Anet proposed.

Anywho out of this topic, what would you consider yourself as?

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Bye bye have fun with them pokemons and pandabears in pandaland :) !!!! /wave
    Why even argue with this guy, i mean WoW has brainwashed most players already even if other mmo's offer better stuff they still cant leave WoW.

The addiction level is still to high in him, one day.....one day they are ready to let it go..........

Thank you for the reply Oracle.  GW2 is a very select game imo, but people that  I chatted with had horrible misunderstandings about the game or were overhyped.  I would plainly just call their expectations as WoW+ rather than what GW2 was trying to do. That being said, I give Arenanet kudos for trying to be fresh, but what sound great of paper does not neccesairly translate in practice.  That, to me, is GW2's folly. It was simply hyped to be something it was not and its features, no matter how fresh, may not work out..

"Anywho out of this topic, what would you consider yourself as?"

As to what type of player I am.  Hard to say what I would classify myself as.  In Kotor 2, Planescape Torment, WoW, Morrowind, Fallout etc I enjoyed collecting items and gaining distincions. In Morrowind, I enjoyed rising in the rank of house Tel'vanni and finding artifacts or items.  I do no want to call myself a completionist, but I do enjoy finding powerful items. I know that  it sounds utterly trivial in a sense, but that is a fun investment to me. Looking at my bank slots in WoW, I have legacy gear, unique weapons, and goofy trinkets or archaelogy items.  On the otherhand, I do enjoy playing a difficult raid/dungeon with friends.  Almost nothing can replace the feeling of Molten Core or Ulduar for me. 

For that reason I can sort of resonate with the OP, because I understand the interest in making a name for yourself or at the least making a character that is your own. The best way I can put it is,  it is about building a character.  I think GW2 is a good game, but I do not get the sense that I am building a character, but rather just playing a template.  Both have pros and cons of course, I am just biased in favor of an RPG character builder. 

Johnny, Timmy, Spike, and Vorthos in respective order (And they all can be broken down into more branches). Judging by OP, he seems to be a Johnny/Timmy. He wants an incentive to keep on going and expects changes and big new things to come up as he goes along with the story. Because he focuses on wanting some sort of incentive in sPvP he is bored that there is no good benefits coming to him as he plays( He isn't Vorthos or a goodlookin timmy who wants goodlookin armor.) I can presume the Timmy side of him prefers big blasting combos, but dislikes autoattacking obviously. That is why I offered certain thoughts on specs.

I'm a Timmy/Spike. I just want to win in PvP and have fun doing it. I don't care about my armor looks, or getting the next rank to get armor (Unless armor gave stats, then I'd get it just for the sake of maximizing stats.) My only incentive to play is to win, and my final goal could even be monthly or that yearly tournament that Anet proposed.

Anywho out of this topic, what would you consider yourself as?

You got me wrong with Johnny. I play for the fun of just owning people first, and secondly for cool looking armor / titles / prestigious ranks.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    I'm currently playing guils wars 2 and having a really god time. I like wow too though, always have. The reason I'm not playing wow right now is due to the fact that they turned it into a lobby mmo. No one is out in the world anymore...ever. People sit in the cities and que for dungeons. I had a buddy return a few months ago and play wow with me, and he quit cause from level 35-50, he only saw other players when in a dungeon. The world is dead. Perhaps they can fix it, but until they do, I'm quite happy in gw2, where I actually see other players everywhere. Queuing for dungeons over and over just won't do it for me now.
This discussion has been closed.