Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What keeps you playing an MMO longterm?

124»

Comments

• BrenelaelBrenelael Warren, MEPosts: 3,996Member

Server-wide sense of community... Something most modern games are sorely lacking in.

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow TurkuPosts: 1,187Member Uncommon

Simply put:

Stuff to do / incentives to log-in / progression / fun / community.

• LissylLissyl Peru, INPosts: 271Member Common

Aesthetics: Character customization, dyes, templating, costumes/outfits that I'm not forced to pay more for (the big reason f2p is anathema to me).

Collectibles/mini-games: Fishing, Cooking, First Aid, Butterfly Collecting, Woodworking, Housing, Furniture Crafting as well as a HUGE number of pets and mounts.  And I mean huge.  Like...at least 100 pets and 20 mounts, minimum.

Raiding: I like raids, but it doesn't need to be 'ZOMG HARDCORE RAID NAOOO!!!'.  Raids in and of themselves are just big groups of players attacking a boss with a decent smattering of mechanics in a closed environment (sorry, open world bosses don't qualify as raids if pvp exists imo).

Consensual pvp: self-explanatory. Forced pvp is evil incarnate.

Lore/secrets: I want lore, and I want exploring secrets.  This would be gw2's biggest appeal to me.

Traps: DDO's claim to fame.  I love the way traps exist in DDO, and wish randomized traps/puzzles existed in other games.

Dungeons: Lots and lots of dungeons with good lore behind them.

I think saying 'community' is simultaneously obvious...and impossible.  A community is people, and a bad community is -still- people.  No changing that.

• KyleranKyleran Tampa, FLPosts: 20,010Member Uncommon

Endless character progression with a purpose...... nothing else matters.

ATM, only EVE provides this.

In my day MMORPG's were so hard we fought our way through dungeons in the snow, uphill both ways.
    "I don't have one life, I have many lives" - Grunty
    Still currently "subscribed" to EVE, and only EVE!!!
    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

124»