Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What keeps you playing an MMO longterm?

124»

Comments

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Simply put:

Stuff to do / incentives to log-in / progression / fun / community.

• LissylLissyl Member UncommonPosts: 271

Aesthetics: Character customization, dyes, templating, costumes/outfits that I'm not forced to pay more for (the big reason f2p is anathema to me).

Collectibles/mini-games: Fishing, Cooking, First Aid, Butterfly Collecting, Woodworking, Housing, Furniture Crafting as well as a HUGE number of pets and mounts.  And I mean huge.  Like...at least 100 pets and 20 mounts, minimum.

Raiding: I like raids, but it doesn't need to be 'ZOMG HARDCORE RAID NAOOO!!!'.  Raids in and of themselves are just big groups of players attacking a boss with a decent smattering of mechanics in a closed environment (sorry, open world bosses don't qualify as raids if pvp exists imo).

Consensual pvp: self-explanatory. Forced pvp is evil incarnate.

Lore/secrets: I want lore, and I want exploring secrets.  This would be gw2's biggest appeal to me.

Traps: DDO's claim to fame.  I love the way traps exist in DDO, and wish randomized traps/puzzles existed in other games.

Dungeons: Lots and lots of dungeons with good lore behind them.

I think saying 'community' is simultaneously obvious...and impossible.  A community is people, and a bad community is -still- people.  No changing that.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Endless character progression with a purpose...... nothing else matters.

ATM, only EVE provides this.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon