Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWTOR launch outsold GW2 launch...

Comments

• WalterWhiteWalterWhite Member UncommonPosts: 411

OP, I am one of the many many fools who believed the hype over SWTOR and pre ordered what I considered to be a game I would play for years.

A couple of months after launch, I like many many other people cancelled their subscription which is now the reason SWTOR is going F2P in record time for a AAA MMO.

SWTOR was such a disappointment, I will never pre order an MMO again but will rather wait a few months to make sure I will never be bitten in the backside like I was with SWTOR.

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by vigg2004
    Someone still plays SWTOR?

A friend last bought it for € 9,90 with a free month to try.

They'll get new customers ..... at that rate, if they can keep the price down.

• NomadMorlockNomadMorlock Member UncommonPosts: 815
    Originally posted by Nadia
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Launch sales vs launch sales, I mean. GW2 barely hit 2 million. SWTOR at launch was.. 2.3 million I think? Or was it 2.7 million?

TOR probably sold less than GW2 for launch

first 3 days, EA reported over 1 million

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20111226

after 5 weeks, EA financial period ending Jan 31, 2012

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/10

EA has reported sales of more than 2 million units of The Old Republic with about 1.7 million subscribers

after 4 months, EA reported 2.4 million units sold

http://m.ign.com/articles/2012/05/07/swtor-subscriber-base-shrinks

As of the end of April 2012, 2.4 million units of Star Wars: The Old Republic have sold through.

So OP...  Thank you for pointing out that GW2 has sold more than 2 million copies in three weeks and it took SWTOR a minimum of 5 weeks to get there.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    I really hope Star Wars would out sell Guild Wars on initial sales.....it's STAR WARS.  I think we all know which is the quality game that will have people buying it past the first month, though.
  • wow oh really?   no mames quey
  • SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759

SWTOR had more hype than any game I can remember, it's not a surprise to me that it outsold GW2.

On a side note - SWTOR was a better game too. If GW2 was P2P, you would already be seeing the cancellation of thousands of subs and server merges happening around the first of the year.

• Bushi131Bushi131 Member Posts: 62

The use of the brain is required to play guild wars 2 , because that much freedom cannot be process by some of us, they turn out troll on forum crying out load that guild wars 2 is mean and will die from the MMO death

Most of those troll cast on left hand MMO-Death and the right hand is for badMMO-revive.

They will taunt you with some :"Meh ... you see .... haah "

• iraklis1908iraklis1908 Member Posts: 2

its my 1st post to this site even i read everyday for some time...i am tired of ppl here try to prove their point with nosense...

i play gw2 currently in case everyone thinks i am a swtor fan...but u cant compare their launch ....

someone who played both games will know that first days only in europe swtor had 87 servers if i remember correct..and for  days all server were full and ppl were waiting also for 1-2 hours to log in...so its simple maths...gw2 has not even half servers...and they hype swtor created its unthikable and its logical cause star wars has many fans....the game ofcourse wasnt as most of ppl expekting but thats different think...and u cant prove a game is better than other game by sales in the end of the day..best game is the one u had most fun and spent most time...mine was lotro...others was wow,eve,aion or .....

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by SuperDonk

SWTOR had more hype than any game I can remember, it's not a surprise to me that it outsold GW2.

On a side note - SWTOR was a better game too. If GW2 was P2P, you would already be seeing the cancellation of thousands of subs and server merges happening around the first of the year.

How is SWTOR the better game? It's so...LIFELESS compared to GW2.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397
    Weighing in at an even 2 million boxes, GW2 is the latest game to be less successful than SWTOR. Others include Tera, TSW, and all other direct competition save for WOW. So, tell me again about this game failing.

says the guy without any proof/sources...

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

A lot of misinformation here.

SWTOR had over 2 mil preorders for box copies only NOT COUNTING digital sales at all.    GW2 will be fine, but if SWTOR was a b2p game do you really think it wouldn't of sold way more ?     People spreading false lies saying 2 mil sales is bullshit it was 2 mil active players NOT SALES.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by stratasaurus
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Wait.. how is a game that's two weeks old competing with one that's been out for a year and whose sales have basically dried up?  This thread doesn't make sense no matter what game you're talking about.

SWTOR has been out for a year...damn I didn't know it was christmas already, where does the time go.

Sorry, you're right.  It went F2P in 8 months... I was using the standard of one year to F2P, but I forgot SWTOR did worse than most games.

• AldersAlders Member RarePosts: 2,207
    Originally posted by William12

SWTOR had over 2 mil preorders for box copies only NOT COUNTING digital sales at all.    GW2 will be fine, but if SWTOR was a b2p game do you really think it wouldn't of sold way more ?     People spreading false lies saying 2 mil sales is bullshit it was 2 mil active players NOT SALES.

At no point did TOR have 2 million active players.  Take your own advice.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Weighing in at an even 2 million boxes, GW2 is the latest game to be less successful than SWTOR. Others include Tera, TSW, and all other direct competition save for WOW. So, tell me again about this game failing.

That SWToR sold more boxes in its first week than GW2 is a fact. You can look it up on VGChartz. The interpretation of the numbers does seem right though.

SWToR did not achieve the goals set for it by EA or Bioware. GW2 was projected to reach 3 million in sales by the end of the year, and it is two thirds of the way there after 2 weeks. It seems much more likely that GW2 will reach the goals set by Anet than SWToR will ever reach any goals set by EA or Bioware.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    What's swtor?

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919

NBC artcle: Gamers grab 2 million copies of 'Guild Wars 2' despite sales halt

http://www.nbcnews.com/technology/ingame/gamers-grab-2-million-copies-guild-wars-2-despite-sales-999089

- GW2 sold 2 million copies in 2 weeks ... despite AreaNet suspending first party sales and retail replenishment for 10 days just 2 days after launch ....

- began selling the game again earlier this week after deploying new servers in NA and Europe

- regularly seeing over 400,000 concurrent

I bet EA wished SWTOR had had such a bad start - oh wait, the OP said that SWTOR did better ...... maybe not ....

I don't understand the point of this thread, it's just like saying pacman has more subscribers then gw2 will ever have.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by lizardbones

That SWToR sold more boxes in its first week than GW2 is a fact. You can look it up on VGChartz. The interpretation of the numbers does seem right though.

SWToR did not achieve the goals set for it by EA or Bioware. GW2 was projected to reach 3 million in sales by the end of the year, and it is two thirds of the way there after 2 weeks. It seems much more likely that GW2 will reach the goals set by Anet than SWToR will ever reach any goals set by EA or Bioware.

Unless you're only counting actual physical boxes, it isn't true.

Based only on information given by both companies (EA and Anet, I'll reuse links postes earlier):

As of december 26 (6 days after release), TOR had sold 1 million copies:

http://www.swtor.com/info/news/press-release/20111226

Anet announced on august 28th (on release day, 3 days after headstart) that they had already sold over 1 million pre-purchases (before release) and that was not counting pre-orders or sales after release

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/08/28/guild-wars-2-hits-400k-concurrent-users-before-launch/

Post launch, TOR announces 2 million units sold 5 weeks after release:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/02/01/ea-reveals-swtor-subscription-and-sales-numbers-beats-financial/10

Anet announced 2 million units sold 3 weeks after release

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/09/13/guild-wars-2-breaks-the-two-million-sales-mark/

So, based on hard numbers released by the companies themselves, I'd say GW2 indeed sold more than TOR on release. Retention, though, will be harder to judge since TOR is a sub based game while GW2 isn't.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

You guys do know that anet had to delay selling more products at one point right? because it was such a high demand they had to slow down and look how the servers are doing, then add in more servers then open up more releases of the product.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Torvaldr

Originally posted by Souldrainer Weighing in at an even 2 million boxes, GW2 is the latest game to be less successful than SWTOR. Others include Tera, TSW, and all other direct competition save for WOW. So, tell me again about this game failing.
    That SWToR sold more boxes in its first week than GW2 is a fact. You can look it up on VGChartz. The interpretation of the numbers does seem right though. SWToR did not achieve the goals set for it by EA or Bioware. GW2 was projected to reach 3 million in sales by the end of the year, and it is two thirds of the way there after 2 weeks. It seems much more likely that GW2 will reach the goals set by Anet than SWToR will ever reach any goals set by EA or Bioware.
    TOR sold more in the first week (1.453 million) compared to GW2 (.902 million), but only sold 311k the second week.  VGCharts hasn't submitted second week sales for GW2 yet, but in order to pop over 2 million GW2 would have had to sold around another 1 million copies in the second week.  Really they've already outpaced TORs sales graph at the two week point.

When you look at other platform sales the MMO market is rather "flash in the pan" and paltry.  One thing the B2P model might bring is a broader appeal and larger total sales numbers.  That is one feature all the other platforms tout that MMOs haven't really offered much.

You're doing it wrong.

* Limit your data set to only the information that supports your hypothesis. In this case, only the first week's sales are "relevant".
    * Guess values for a dataset that cannot be confirmed. It's best if you guess a starting number, like a ratio, and then calculate a final set of numbers from the assumed values. This gives your final numbers legitimacy.
    * Only use logic that supports your hypothesis when connecting the dots between numbers.

Also, there's a type in my post. The bit, "the numbers does seem right though" should read, "the numbers doesn't seem right".

** edit **
    LOCOman is doing it wrong too.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Originally posted by Torvaldr

TOR sold more in the first week (1.453 million) compared to GW2 (.902 million), but only sold 311k the second week.  VGCharts hasn't submitted second week sales for GW2 yet, but in order to pop over 2 million GW2 would have had to sold around another 1 million copies in the second week.  Really they've already outpaced TORs sales graph at the two week point.

When you look at other platform sales the MMO market is rather "flash in the pan" and paltry.  One thing the B2P model might bring is a broader appeal and larger total sales numbers.  That is one feature all the other platforms tout that MMOs haven't really offered much.

Problem with vgchartz is that they usually don't track digital copies sold by the company itself (which Anet did):

"

Data-Collection Methodology

All sales estimates on VGChartz are arrived at via a number of proprietrary and ever-developing methods:

• Passively polling end users to find out what games they are currently purchasing and playing
    • Polling retail partners to find out what games and hardware they are selling
    • Using statistical trend fitting and historical data for similar games
    • Studying resell prices to determine consumer demand and inventory levels
    • Consulting with publishers and manufacturers to find out how many units they are introducing into the channel

All data is regularly checked against manufacturer shipments and data released publicly from other tracking firms to ensure accuracy. VGChartz holds no responsibility for the use of our data – any business decisions made are made at your own risk.

"

Source: http://www.vgchartz.com/methodology.php

which is why in my prevous post I'm using only data announced by the companies and not VGchartz.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

VGChartz is a guess, for both SWTOR and GW2, so as with all things there will be a margin of error! And they do revise numbers as well. However headlines drive advertising revenue.

With the news that AreaNet halted sales after 2 days however SWTOR may have outsold GW2 in the first week. GW2 has sold 2M in 2 weeks however so (probably) now past SWTOR for the same time period. 

Interesting that EA said they would halt sales to "ensure a good customer experience" but they never actually did so ...

Originally posted by William12

Not according to EA - but heh what would they know!

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

The thing is that GW2 has already made most of it's money. I don't see the gem store keeping up with subscriptions.

And a lot of people were over-hyped so it's unrealistic that they'll buy all the xpacs :>

• LangsdorffLangsdorff Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Wait.. how is a game that's two weeks old competing with one that's been out for a year and whose sales have basically dried up?  This thread doesn't make sense no matter what game you're talking about.

They said at launch, not in the life span of the game. Comparing GW2 and SWTOR is like comparing bicycles and mopeds. They both do the same thing but they aren't the same, period. Personally I like TOR but it's not based on the hype, just as I dread coming here and seeing the hype for GW2, now, and soon to be Archeage, which isn't going to be released in NA for a while. 

Someone mentioned they feel dumb (exact words, I would return it if I could, same meaning) for buying TOR. They should, for believing in the hype BEFORE the game came out.

Langsdorff

This discussion has been closed.