Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Final nail in the coffin.

lordpenquinlordpenquin Member Posts: 129

Is GW2 the final nail in the coffin of the western $15/month mmorpg?  Will there be any company that releases a game post GW2 that isn't free to play or buy to play?  Is any company foolish to attempt to charge a monthly fee for a new MMORGP?

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    It is not the nail. Sorry - MMO's are niche games that cater to a smaller number of player. Many different types of business models will be supported. That is unless their business drops to 0 overnight and I don't think that will happen.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by botrytis
    It is not the nail. Sorry - MMO's are niche games that cater to a smaller number of player. Many different types of business models will be supported. That is unless their business drops to 0 overnight and I don't think that will happen.

MMOs are not niche game anymore sorry to break the bubble, they were niche post WoW.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512

It is a question I would be interested to see the answer to.

IMO we have now all seen the quality and level of content that can be achieved without a sub-fee..  which leaves questions about what we are paying for in other games.

Some people are locked into thinking every hyped new mmo must be a failure and they fail to see the positives in GW2 - so they might still pay subs.

It all depends on how GW2 does long term.

This will likely have a strong effect on the development of Blizzards secret 'titan' project.

• nihenahnihenah Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Its definitely not a nail in the coffin for sub based game. But it puts alot more pressure on companies who are charging their customers for content to get their act together and push out more content.
  • TruthXHurtsTruthXHurts Member UncommonPosts: 1,555
    You guys act like MMO's invented the F2P and B2P models...

"I am not in a server with Gankers...THEY ARE IN A SERVER WITH ME!!!"

• Tawn47Tawn47 Member Posts: 512
    Originally posted by Torgrim

MMOs are not niche game anymore sorry to break the bubble, they were niche post WoW.

I think you meant pre-wow ;)

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    I don't think people mind paying 15 bucks for a game as long as a game is fun..example WOW. But no one will pay 15 bucks for a crap MMO. So failing of MMOS have less to do with monthly sub but more to do with sub par gameplay.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    Originally posted by coretex666

Troll post or are you actually being serious?

I cant really tell.

He can't be serious :)

P2P, B2P and F2P will always exist ( at least for XX years more ) !

If it's a troll , then it will catch people like you :)

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

No, just the final nail in the coffin of over-hyped smash and grab garbage MMOs that would flop no matter what payment model they use.

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919

Nope. As long as developers think the sub model can yield them eternal riches from the masses, they'lll keep using it until it doesn't. See RIFT as a minor example, and WoW as a major example.

But what might happen is that there will be more B2P MMOs to provide competition.

• WolvardsWolvards Member Posts: 650
    Originally posted by TruthXHurts
    You guys act like MMO's invented the F2P and B2P models...

image Even i'm a huge GW2 fan, but this statement is so true.

Both models will linger for a very, very long time. Maybe do like a pendulum, swings towards F2P, than back to P2P, who knows...

The "Youtube Pro": Someone who watches video's on said subject, and obviously has a full understanding of what is being said about such subject.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by coretex666

Troll post or are you actually being serious?

I cant really tell.

Same here.

If the draw to GW2 is lack of sub fee, why (evidenced from previous threads on this board) are people so keen on cash shop stuff? Hell, from what I'm reading some people have doubled the retail price in cash shop and it's not even been a month.

Weird.

• david361107david361107 Member UncommonPosts: 279

i really doubt it, gw2 you can hit level cap in around 100 hours tops. now you have to wait 8month to a year for another GW2 box to come out, pay your $50 for that, then again and again. GW2 is ok but not epic by any means and in todays market there are too many good games out, whats going to happen is this. You going to have more and more mmo's hit the market that will slowly take away the WOW base but it will be more spread out. I think what you have is the end to the 10 Million plus subs once WOW drops below that. Free to play is kind of a BS statement anyway, you don't get the full game for free. Example of one I love is "World of Tanks" shit I spent more on that "F2P" game in three months than i did on any fee based games I've played and I've played them all. Don't get me wrong, tanks is a great business model for F2P games, but its far from being free. So basically you are going to see some F2P and some P2P over the next few years and then I think you'll see the F2P's going away.

Peace,

Lascer

Compared to let's say Halo2 and games like that, yes they are niche in general. Not saying it is bad but Rift, TSW, TOR, etc have not sold as much - WoW has just been out alot longer (7 years is a long time).

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    I wouldnt say a nail but I think electric tape would be a better answer, its locked the market right now but weather it sticks only time can tell.
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

I love these threads.

Just because ArenaNet has stayed true to their word and has chosen not to abuse it's playerbase wiht this model, doens't mean there aren't a ton of companies frothing at the mouth to charge a box fee in addition to their current p2w cash shop revenue model.

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871
    Originally posted by lordpenquin

Is GW2 the final nail in the coffin of the western $15/month mmorpg?  Will there be any company that releases a game post GW2 that isn't free to play or buy to play?  Is any company foolish to attempt to charge a monthly fee for a new MMORGP?

cool post.

now only thing it can change on free to play market is that all eastern ,western ,northern,whatevern free to play games will have 59,99$ price tag on them in the future.

Is any company foolish to attempt to give their products for free ?

Let's internet

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

No I don't think this is the last of P2P MMO games, there surely will be some more in the future, and SWTOR claiming to go F2P really will still be P2P because you won't be able to do very much without a sub- limited pvp time, 1 flashpoint a week, no operations, no GTN, no emails.

Biggest problem right now I'm seeing with GW2, are the gold selles and account thieves stealing accounts and not having to pay a cent to use them, Lion's Arch are loaded with gold spam in chat and I get a dozen emails a day about it now too. I haven't seen it this bad in other games.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    Well, a sub won't put me off trying a new mmo release.
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

I would like to say that P2P games aren't in a decline.

But because consumers (especially the US consumer) are mostly retarded the Free-To-Play element is far more important than actual in-game balance, people tend to lean on F2P/B2P games.

However a lot of online gamers are more than happy to pay monthly for good MMORPGs. Personally I would happily pay for Eve Online, WoW, Rift, TSW monthly if I were to actively pay these games. Currently I don't have that much time for gaming so I prefer playing MMO's and single player games.

Once we get the next WoW, P2P games will get on a rise again because people will get bored to these imbalanced F2P/B2P games.

My biggest concern is that developers and companies behind them tend to create games that please everyone and if they go for the gamer approach i.e niche game. It's highly likely that they are getting sacked once project is done (like happened with TSW).

My hopes lie towards Asia where good games for gamers are still born.

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246

15/month=More content updates, so no, it isn't the final nail, it's a different buisness model.

You think there will be NEW content in GW2 next month?  Nope, because it isn't p2p.

Watch, 2 years from now p2p games out now will have more new content than GW2.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

To the OPs question, I doubt it. Like others have said, however, it will put the onus on those companies charging a sub to provide better service.

Also, as successful as GW2 is, let the dust settle a bit first. See how this game is doing in six months before you see how it will affect other sub models. This game will make a bundle because it has good box sales, which is good for Anet. People might look at that and use it in the future, but GW2 is falling short for quite a few people, so I would look at the sales on the first xpack to determine the real success of Anet's pricing model, and then you will see other companies react one way or the other.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

I don't know if that's true.

i would say there are more people playing them before. Many more.

but from what i see, and granted this is anecdotal evidence, the people I meet who even play video games, mostly play single player games or opt for board/pen and paper games. Or they play games like bazinga or angry birds.

I think outside of places like PAX or Gen Con, the people I met who played online games could be counted on a hand and a half. These are people outside my social circle (of which only 3 play video games and only one plays an mmo which is WoW).

Of that hand and a half, all but two solely played Wow. The last remaining two Consisted of a LOTRO player and a gamer guy who seemed to play everthing but other than wow didnt' really like mmo's but would try them out.

I"m just not seeing mmo's being talked about as if they were commonplace. And among gamers I don't see a lot of them in my daily activity.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by Drolkin

15/month=More content updates, so no, it isn't the final nail, it's a different buisness model.

You think there will be NEW content in GW2 next month?  Nope, because it isn't p2p.

Watch, 2 years from now p2p games out now will have more new content than GW2.

I cannot think of any P2P games off the top of my head, maybe except for RIFT, that even updates their content that fast. Hell, even WoW, the king of P2P MMOs, updates at the pace of a glacier going up a slight incline.

Originally posted by Sovrath

I don't know if that's true.

i would say there are more people playing them before. Many more.

but from what i see, and granted this is anecdotal evidence, the people I meet who even play video games, mostly play single player games or opt for board/pen and paper games. Or they play games like bazinga or angry birds.

I think outside of places like PAX or Gen Con, the people I met who played online games could be counted on a hand and a half. These are people outside my social circle (of which only 3 play video games and only one plays an mmo which is WoW).

Of that hand and a half, all but two solely played Wow. The last remaining two Consisted of a LOTRO player and a gamer guy who seemed to play everthing but other than wow didnt' really like mmo's but would try them out.

I"m just not seeing mmo's being talked about as if they were commonplace. And among gamers I don't see a lot of them in my daily activity.

All I was pointing out. I talk to people who play Halo and other games like that not MMO's.

Thanks!