Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Value of GW2 to individuals

Comments

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Collectors Edition for me: $150.00

Two Digi-deluxe for the kids: $160:00

Gems from the shop: $30.00

Being fully satisfied about getting my moneys worth: Priceless.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Great value.  I'm currently level 46 with 55ish hours played and 28-29% map completion.  At my current play rate I have a lot of time left.  More important is how much fun the game is.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Originally posted by Kaelano1
    Just curious if we can get a general consensus here of what GW2 is worth to mmorpg.com forum participants.

This is why Game companies charge us so much money , look at the people who are happy they paid a fortune for a game, GW2 is a good game, but 60 is to much especially in time of recession

If people can't afford $60.00, espcially in a time of recession, they should be reorganizing their priorities.

When I was in college and was dirt poor I didn't blow my cash on things that I could't afford. I budgeted.

After I was unemployed for over a year and landed the job I currently hold I had to put myself back on a budget. Something I haven't done for a long time.

So I "budget" my games and set aside money for GW2.

Is it the best $60.00 I've ever spent? no. Is the game worth $60.00? I think so. More so because I can play it casually in between things.

I am not upset at my purcahse. Would I have preferred to pay less? sure. But for the game they gave us, espeically because there is no monthly fee, i don't feel that $60.00 is beyond the pale at all.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • IkedaIkeda Member RarePosts: 2,751

Rough idea, around here a movie is 8 matinee and 10.50 regular.  Hour and a half.  ( so 4/hr of entertaining movie with no snacks). Soda is another 4, popcorn 3-5.  Using the cheapest method of movie only.  60/8= 7. Xxxx round that to even 8 for math times 2 hour movie = 16 hrs.  I've spent that on just one toon 1-15.

Another MMO, 60 for the first pack, 1-60 in about 15 hrs played.  Now I need to cough up 40 more for the expansion.  60-70.  End of the month, 15 more to use my 100 worth of game bought.

I spent $150 on the CE, so far I have 80 hrs or so.  That's like 2/hr of entertainment at the more expensive price.  I've got 150+ hr invested into Skyrim.  None of my toons are above 25 and I'm STILL finding new stuff in the starter areas.

My opinion is its worth it.  But I knew going INTO this game I wasn't going to do it fast.  Rush to the end and complain its the end. Seems silly and counterproductive.

But since you're not paying monthly, this game allows you to have on the side another p2p MMO.  I think that's genius.  I always end up going back to GW1 when bored.  This will work similarly.

• VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339
    lawl..even before viewing results, the answer would be pretty obvious. So many lopsided predicatable polls...zzz

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Voted #1. I have to force myself not to play on days like this when I'm busy with work, otherwise that "half hour break" turns into 10 hours of gameplay. Only got more addicting when I joined a guild that actively runs dungeons and WvWvW. I'd live in the game if I could, and it's been many years since I felt that way about any game. Seiken Densetsu 3 was probably the last game that engrossed me this heavily. I, by the way, have been level 80 for over a week now, and am still running around completing things I missed and enjoying every minute of it. Haven't even gotten to Arah, yet.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by laserit
    Just curious if we can get a general consensus here of what GW2 is worth to mmorpg.com forum participants.

This is why Game companies charge us so much money , look at the people who are happy they paid a fortune for a game, GW2 is a good game, but 60 is to much especially in time of recession

Ever bought popcorn at a movie theater lately?

Yea and the Popcorn sucks too, mostly stale, but still they have the nerve to charge  10 bucks for a large!!!!

Originally posted by Sovrath

If people can't afford $60.00, espcially in a time of recession, they should be reorganizing their priorities.

When I was in college and was dirt poor I didn't blow my cash on things that I could't afford. I budgeted.

After I was unemployed for over a year and landed the job I currently hold I had to put myself back on a budget. Something I haven't done for a long time.

Is it the best $60.00 I've ever spent? no. Is the game worth $60.00? I think so. More so because I can play it casually in between things.

I am not upset at my purcahse. Would I have preferred to pay less? sure. But for the game they gave us, espeically because there is no monthly fee, i don't feel that $60.00 is beyond the pale at all.

Tell that to the people who bought it and think it sucks LOL..   I think the game is good, and yes because you can play it casually you dont feel presure of the Sub, but many games today are F2P and there is no sub presure in those games. I guess my point is prices are to high for many things today especially in time of recession.

By the way dont you know that True Gamers do not budget!!!!   If we see a game we like we buy and worry about feeding outselves later, besides who has time to eat---I Gotttta Plaaaay  (just kidding)

• lilHealalilHeala Member UncommonPosts: 522

More than happy with the DDE I bought and already got the value of that worth in entertainment out of it during the BWE's so the value just keeps increasing for me.

I'm waiting til I can find it somewhere around € 30,- to buy me a second copy of the game for aditional storage, crafting etc. while playing on my main account and as my secret hideout account I won't give to anybody who knows me other than my best mate  :P

Originally posted by Vaultar
    lawl..even before viewing results, the answer would be pretty obvious. So many lopsided predicatable polls...zzz

Why does people liking the game get you so flustered?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748
    Originally posted by Badaboom

You changed your avatar. This flusters me.

Oderint, dum metuant.

Originally posted by Volkon

You changed your avatar. This flusters me.

Thought these forums needed a little more Bruce Willis. 

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,003

Tell that to the people who bought it and think it sucks LOL..   I think the game is good, and yes because you can play it casually you dont feel presure of the Sub, but many games today are F2P and there is no sub presure in those games. I guess my point is prices are to high for many things today especially in time of recession.

By the way dont you know that True Gamers do not budget!!!!   If we see a game we like we buy and worry about feeding outselves later, besides who has time to eat---I Gotttta Plaaaay  (just kidding)

Yeah, but games are f2p because at the moment publishers/developers have figured out that they can make more money from a few people who are willing to dump tons of unbudgeted (image) dollars into their product.

Players forget that no matter how passionate a dev team or how much they love "the game" they also want to make money as it is their career/business.

So for instance, 49.99 in 1990 (I think that's what games cost then? Someone correct me if that's wrong) is practically double now.

So if anything game companies are charging LESS for their games.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • miteshumiteshu Member Posts: 44
    This shows that the people who complained about Guild Wars 2 are the super minority.
  • donaldduckdonaldduck Member UncommonPosts: 158

I'm more than happy with the £37 I paid for it even though I've only got a a couple of characters up into the early 20s.

Taking it very, very easy, lots of exploring, taking part in events and jumping puzzles and havent even tried pvp yet...

If this was a single player game I'd have finished it by now!

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375
    Originally posted by miteshu
    This shows that the people who complained about Guild Wars 2 are the super minority.

Yes, kind of. So far, it shows of people who visit mmorpg.com gw2 forum threads and participate in polls generally like the game and are happy with the money they spent on it. Given those qualifications, and given the proposed 90 whatever percent ratings from wherever however, neither side is really proving anything. Truly I'd think this would be a landslide, but then it's only been up a handful of hours.

Don't you think that number 1 result should be higher?

• no mames quey!
  • Faran_BrygoFaran_Brygo Member UncommonPosts: 19

Until I get back the 63 bucks and change I paid for Diablo 3, anything else is cheap in comparison. So far my satisfaction quotient for paying an equivalent amount for Guild Wars 2 versus the fun I have gotten out of my total play hours is very high. I do see a point ahead where the fun suddenly might end for me, but by then I am certain to have gotten my money's worth out of the initial cost. That day still may be a few months of hard play ahead. Or it may even be as soon as 9-25-12.  In either case Guild Wars 2 will end up being a better purchase for me than Skyrim was.

I knew I should have taken that left turn at Albuquerque...

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I've already played the game more than Skyrim, Rift, SWTOR or any of the other big MMOs (yes I know Skyrim is not an MMO) coming out like hot cakes and failing to impress me.  I felt I'd gotten my $60 worth pretty fast in comparison.
  • RusqueRusque Member RarePosts: 2,785
    I bought the CE and three character slots, I'm happy with what I paid and am generally very pleased with GW2. It's an excellent game.
  • VaultarVaultar Member Posts: 339

LOL! Really? That is what you thought by reading my reply? Come on man, a glance at my history of posts would easily make you see that I'm actually a proud gw2 fanboy. 

Here I am talking about the poll itself. I mean what is more interesting? A very very predictable poll or one where you genuinely wonder where the votes will actually go before seeing the stats? :P

I say it is very predictable poll because GW2 has so much content packed into it for the value of money and almost anyone who played the game (maybe besides those who rushed to 80 and say "whats next?") would agree. You get your value for money for this game more than most games these days. 

I really lol'ed at the other poll options besides the first two. I mean, really?? You want to wait for a price drop to consider purchasing GW2 for all the amount of content you get? Well, that explains the minority of the votes for these options anyway.

Now you understand where I am coming from?

Looking forward to EQL and EQN.

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by miteshu

Yes, kind of. So far, it shows of people who visit mmorpg.com gw2 forum threads and participate in polls generally like the game and are happy with the money they spent on it. Given those qualifications, and given the proposed 90 whatever percent ratings from wherever however, neither side is really proving anything. Truly I'd think this would be a landslide, but then it's only been up a handful of hours.

Don't you think that number 1 result should be higher?

No I dont think it should be higher. Considering the amount of trolls that dislike GW2 but never played it for a second this site has that have access to vote I am happily surprised the results are what they are. Almost 75% voted option one and even the trolls who made accounts just to hack on this game could be voting.

If this poll was on a forum that requiired you to have purchased GW2 to vote you would get an even better result. By better I mean more accurate not saying the % would absolutely be higher, but I suspect it would.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I've already played the game more than Skyrim, Rift, SWTOR or any of the other big MMOs (yes I know Skyrim is not an MMO) coming out like hot cakes and failing to impress me.  I felt I'd gotten my $60 worth pretty fast in comparison.

Same, I'm actually having to limit my play time which isn't something I've had to do in a long while lol. Ok... just one more match in sPvP, ok... maybe just a few more crafts, ... I didn't see this cave last time I was here... Sure I'm down for a dungeon run... crap I got to be at work in 4 hours oO! 

Yeah, but games are f2p because at the moment publishers/developers have figured out that they can make more money from a few people who are willing to dump tons of unbudgeted (image) dollars into their product.

Players forget that no matter how passionate a dev team or how much they love "the game" they also want to make money as it is their career/business.

So for instance, 49.99 in 1990 (I think that's what games cost then? Someone correct me if that's wrong) is practically double now.

So if anything game companies are charging LESS for their games.

I could not find anything on google about game prices in 1990 but if memmory serves I believe most games were 39.99 and some were 29.99.   Yes of course Companies want to make money, I wonder though if they charged less would they sell more?

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    I got it for $48 and am perfectly happy.  I'm sure I'd be just as happy if I paid $60.