Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost nobody is talking in chat

Comments

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by spizz
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

People are playing the game rather than chatting in general maybe? Or the fact that it's not a lobby based dungeon system for people to chat while they wait? I'm sure in a month there will be more social interaction, especially in major cities/Lion's Arch.  For now it's more fun to play.  Finding a good guild with VoIP would be good for those who want to be more social. 

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey
    /snip

We're not talking about bored people spamming global chat. We're talking about people actually socializing with eachother in the world. No one EVER responds to local chat ANYWHERE.

Give people time to get used to a good community.  Other than enjoying the game, by now a lot of people don't even have the general chat open because of those who do actually park there.  One of the first things I do in a game, at first at least, is to create another tab for whispers/group/guild.  I usually have friends and guildies playing the same games I do so I talk to them until I know the game a bit and then feel out the community.  I've had enough of the Anal (insert ability link) garbage.  I do however chat locally in /say.

Just the other day I started checking out GW2 map chat on Maguuma.  It's really good other than reporting constantly for the power-level/gold spams in Lion's Arch.

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by Bruise187

Play wow and see how much chat is going on.. if you arent in a city . only other spot that has any chat or di was barrens... do you really want that?

WoW is the perfect example of an anti social online game.

Originally posted by Aelious
    /snip

We're not talking about bored people spamming global chat. We're talking about people actually socializing with eachother in the world. No one EVER responds to local chat ANYWHERE.

Give people time to get used to a good community.  Other than enjoying the game, by now a lot of people don't even have the general chat open because of those who do actually park there.  One of the first things I do in a game, at first at least, is to create another tab for whispers/group/guild.  I usually have friends and guildies playing the same games I do so I talk to them until I know the game a bit and then feel out the community.  I've had enough of the Anal garbage.  I do however chat locally in /say.

Just the other day I started checking out GW2 map chat on Maguuma.  It's really good other than reporting constantly for the power-level/gold spams in Lion's Arch.

We're not talking about map chat. And no amount of waiting is going to solve a problem that stems from the way the game is designed.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626

We're not talking about map chat. And no amount of waiting is going to solve a problem that stems from the way the game is designed.

I have a tab with guild/party/say/whisper only. I don't read Map chat. A lot of time are nonsense anyway. On top of that, I have voip from guild. Plenty of chatter there. 

It is not a problem for me. I joined this guild which is new and I do not know anyone before GW2. Now we social a lot. I do not see why I want to chat in general area. 

If I really want to socialize with people, I go to a local bar.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by zakiyawow

yeah right

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    GW is designed as a total COOP play game. Don't want to be social - there are other games for that.

• zakiyawowzakiyawow Member UncommonPosts: 626
    Originally posted by adam_nox

yeah right

I suppose you don't live in a college town. Bars are actually fun and lively.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994
    Originally posted by botrytis
    GW is designed as a total COOP play game. Don't want to be social - there are other games for that.

GW2 was/is supposed to be something for everyone (well almost everyone) and a sense of community is very important for longevity of a game. I don't 'generally' mind the lack of chat but sometimes I do get concerned that I don't see a map comment for an hour or more at a time.

Other than the occasional gold seller....

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

Because GW2 is VERY anti-social.  It's all nonstop pewpew and no need to interact with anyone.

Probably one of the most anti-social "mmos" I've ever experienced.  

Now before all the fanboys get all frothy at the mouth, its a fun game and worth the 50 bux, but don't expect to meet people and make friends like in other mmos.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

Yea, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about but everywhere I go in the game people are chatting in /map.

Maybe it's the server you're on? Or the time of day you play?

• BadaboomBadaboom Member UncommonPosts: 2,380
    Originally posted by heartless

Yea, I'm not sure what you guys are talking about but everywhere I go in the game people are chatting in /map.

The problem is not the map, server or time of day.  It is the person generalizing.

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993
    Originally posted by Badaboom

The problem is not the map, server or time of day.  It is the person generalizing.

Good point.

• Zeus.CMZeus.CM Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,788

My guild's chat is so spammed with conversations that I mostly watch the chat than the game (as my job is to moderate the guild, and it's no easy job to handle 400+ people).

All in all people are occupied with gameplay and there's no need for them to chat about nonsense in world channel.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

I'm not sure what servers you guys are on, I'm on Yak's Bend and chat is hopping in most of the starting zones, Kessex Hills, Gendarran Fields, Lion's Arch, WvWvW zones, you name it.

/shrug

If you don't like having other people around you that influence your gameplay, then you really shouldn't be playing an MMO. You especially shouldn't be playing an MMO and then yelling at all the people who are fans of MMO when the game has a flaw.

This isn't about map chat. It seems a lot of the people posting are just GW2 fans who didn't read the thread and are chiming in to defend it...

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    Originally posted by Thorbrand
    Well chat isn't needed anymore in MMOs anyway. Most gamers should be on voice if they are a true gamers. I haven't used chat for anything by guild or tells for years.

I know form other tactical shooters that there are problems if it is not an organized team. I would switch it off probably since chat isnt annoying like sound in certain situations. Chat is fine and necessary in a public game environment.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by Four0Six

When I log in I send a greeting out on Map chat. Today I got teh first responce in 3 days. Then I realized it wasnt in responce to me but was an attempt to fill a group. for AC explore.

I do however get lots of gold/powerleveling spam mail. Which I find unexpected as the claim was made that being able to buy gems would cancel this out.

Weird, what servers are gold sellers active on? I haven't seen any mail or even any gold selling chat whatsoever. Guild chat is really slow, though normal chat seems pretty normal for an MMO, especially when there's reason to start yelling at people. :)

imageimage
  • RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136

This isn't about map chat. It seems a lot of the people posting are just GW2 fans who didn't read the thread and are chiming in to defend it...

Your post makes no sense. The topic is about no one in game talking, people are pointing out that /map seems to be the most active but then you claim this is not about map chat? Is that because /map proves you wrong? It seems to me you are just unhappy that you are wrong.

Then you say that a lot of people are just GW2 fans jumping in to defend without reading. They are jumping in telling people where to find the conversations people are claiming do not happen. Well they do happen on /map. 

• RokurgeptaRokurgepta Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,136
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    Originally posted by Four0Six

When I log in I send a greeting out on Map chat. Today I got teh first responce in 3 days. Then I realized it wasnt in responce to me but was an attempt to fill a group. for AC explore.

I do however get lots of gold/powerleveling spam mail. Which I find unexpected as the claim was made that being able to buy gems would cancel this out.

Weird, what servers are gold sellers active on? I haven't seen any mail or even any gold selling chat whatsoever. Guild chat is really slow, though normal chat seems pretty normal for an MMO, especially when there's reason to start yelling at people. :)

I am on Anvil Rock and I get about two gold seller emails a day and see about 3-5 gold sellers if I spend any time in Divinitys Reach. I see them in /map not in /say or any other channel.

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    Chat seems normal to me (Yak's Bend). Almost nobody talks on /say other than the ocasional "thanks" when reviving someone, /map seems very active at least when I play (late at night), /guild chat also seems active but probably because I'm member of a large guild (divided in 2 sub-guilds of 300+ players each with about 120/180 active when I play). Can't say about group chat because I just dinged level 30 in one character so I've never done a dungeon so far. Doesn't really seem more or less active than almost all other MMOs I've tried recently. 

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• AmjocoAmjoco Member UncommonPosts: 4,860
    Originally posted by rodingo
    Originally posted by xpiher
    People chat all the time and I play 4am EST - 10AM EST. It just depends on where you are. 

No, it doesn't matter where some of these guys are.  They are just looking for a way to keep filling up the forums with empty complaints.  In one hand they will say that GW2 doesn't bring any new features or invovation to the genre (i'm not saying it does, but they like to remind us that it doesn't).  Then on the other hand they will complain becuase it has the same features and social aspects of other mmos and pretty much the same chat set up, yet they say GW2 and it's player base are uniquely the only players and game to be anti-social. 

Most of us who actually play the game see the chat channles filled with idle banter, game discussions, and some Q and A.  So why do these select few mysteriously don't?  The only thing I find odd about chat is the actual lack of WoW conversations.  There is usually one tool in most mmos that can't resist trying to start a WoW conversation.  I'm starting to wonder if that's what some of these guys are doing and being surpirsed that no one wants to oblige them. 

I agree with everything. If people doubt the chat they should just go to twitchtv and pull up a GW2 stream. Simple enough. 

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• prpshrtprpshrt Member Posts: 258
    Depends on your area. My guild and server map chats are pretty active. Im on dragonbrand. Might also be your zone. It's been out for two weeks so most people are in the higher level areas and that's where you're most likely to see more chat. Think of it this way. When you go to ashenvale in WoW, do you even bother looking at the general/trade/lfg/ any other channel? No one's in the zone, chat's going to be dead. People shouldn't pull out theories saying that people are leaving GW2 and all that. Also people say no reason to communicate... when have you ever communicated in an MMO besides LFG? That's what your guild's for. 
  • TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,549

You are obviously on the wrong server.

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!