Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Almost nobody is talking in chat

Comments

• grapevinegrapevine Member UncommonPosts: 1,927
    I assumed the game had great AI.  Didn't realise it was other players.   ;)
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by grapevine
    I assumed the game had great AI.  Didn't realise it was other players.   ;)

LOL, based on the law of averages......never mind, I won't go there.

• natuxatunatuxatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,364
    whhat! On my server people don't shut up. There is constant talk in chat and it's mostly friendly.. Are you sure you have map chat turned on?? If you want chatter, transfer to the Ehmry Bay server... 

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    there had been a lot of chat on tarnished coast, but it's diminished significantly the last week. 
  • FastTxFastTx Member UncommonPosts: 756

I was once told most of communication is done through our actions not through our mouth. I believe GW2 is one of the first games I've played that has made me realize this has actually started online. Why talk to someone when you know what they are going to do based on their actions. Theres a big circle around a caravan, everyone is there to protect it. Theres a mini boss in a DE event everyone knows to attack it. There is someone on the ground that needs to be ressed, someone is going to res you.

It's pretty cool actually. Yesterday I went off on a tangent to explore with my ranger, I had an elementalist tag with me and help me out. It seemed like the two of us were partying, helping each other and targetting each others mobs. Now in other MMO's that would be ksing and we'd be pissed at each other.

There has never been a game like this.

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Meleagar
    Ive never had a problem with finding people to talk to though.  Just a few nights ago, there was a great discussion about the pros and cons of getting a vasectomy!  This was in Jade Quarry Queensdale! Or wait was it Gendarren Fields...Either of those!

This is the reason I have all chat except guild chat turned off, and have always had it turned off in every game that let me.

You people need to choose something: either you talk to strangers and don't complain about topics they choose or you turn off all public chats and don't complain about the lack of in-game conversations.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).

• gessekai332gessekai332 Member UncommonPosts: 861
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    there had been a lot of chat on tarnished coast, but it's diminished significantly the last week. 

i dunno, people still chatting away in the areas im in (60-70s areas).

Most memorable games: AoC(Tryanny PvP), RIFT, GW, GW2, Ragnarok Online, Aion, FFXI, FFXIV, Secret World, League of Legends (Silver II rank)

• mindmeldmindmeld Member UncommonPosts: 229

Simple, text chat is so 80s was, you wanna play and textchatting is to slow to use imo if you dont want to use acronyms all the time. so if i want to chat at the same time i play i use voicechat.

And when ppl chat in general chat regardless of game ppl always use same channel for everything meaning its a pain in the behind to read what specifik people are saying.

And if your in a party you are often goal oriented you want to maximmazie the time together, and again if you want to chat use voicechat , simpler more fun and social to me.

-Semper ubi sub ubi!
    always wear underwear

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    Originally posted by StanlyStanko
    Bring up politics or religion for a quick fix on that!

He, he, he, ... or even better bring in Wow argument or Chuck Norris .... :-)))

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by spizz
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

propably you have hided the map chat, or you have never gone at WvWvW ...

anyway the game has active combat and its hard to chat, so mostly ppl talk with teamspeak/ventrilo/etc

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066

Generally I play with guildies and friends over voip so I don't waste much time looking at the chat.

So, yesterday late time in europe, just came across a champion swanp troll that kept spam healing and so the battle took a while.

Obviously there was a couple of cheers.

I said "This troll was trolling us".

Opposed to what this thread would make you believe there were replies and laughter from that group of 5 strangers that just tackled an annoying mob - all very polite, all very natural. As easy as talking to someone in a bar or coffee shop when watching  sports.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason 
    If they are anything like me it's because they are either grouped up  or in a guild and using those  specific chat channels. I tend to avoid general chat as much as possible.  

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• mindmeldmindmeld Member UncommonPosts: 229

problem is that you mix irl chatter with chatter specifik to the game in one chat channel.

in an old game like Anarchy Online you had ooc chat where ppl kept stuff that didnt belong to the game and players respected that and then you had other specifik channel for trade or other topics.

-Semper ubi sub ubi!
    always wear underwear

• SirenRoseSirenRose Member UncommonPosts: 28
    The game does seem a little quiet, but that is partially me.  I have map chat turned off, my guild uses mumble so we really don't type much, and I'm usually so immersed in whatever I'm doing in game that I kind of forget the chat window is even there.  However, whenever there are people around and I say something in the say channel, people respond, and I've had a few fun conversations with random people when the mood strikes.  Maybe they aren't talking because you aren't talking to them?

Playing: None
    Have Played: City of Heroes, Guild Wars, World of Warcraft, Fallen Earth, Diablo 3, DC Universe Online, Marvel Heroes, Guild Wars 2, Star Wars The Old Republic

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

Beyond /map ooc chatter,  sadly the game is designed to limit the interdepenancy of players.   Since you can easily solo your way through the game and in the rare case you find a tough DE you can come back later and jump in to the Zerg, Pew Pew for a few seconds and walk away and get the medal for the event after someone else finishes it for you.

For me, I am not concerned about the RP'ing and OOC socializing but the the challenge level of the game is so low  it puzzles me why even advertise it as an MMO.  It feels like a solo game with some casual Multiplayer at such a watered down level that it doesn't require any thought, effort or communciation.

• EsLafielEsLafiel Member Posts: 92
    Originally posted by rutaq

Beyond /map ooc chatter,  sadly the game is designed to limit the interdepenancy of players.   Since you can easily solo your way through the game and in the rare case you find a tough DE you can come back later and jump in to the Zerg, Pew Pew for a few seconds and walk away and get the medal for the event after someone else finishes it for you.

For me, I am not concerned about the RP'ing and OOC socializing but the the challenge level of the game is so low  it puzzles me why even advertise it as an MMO.  It feels like a solo game with some casual Multiplayer at such a watered down level that it doesn't require any thought, effort or communciation.

do the explorable dgn, then come back and talk. Are do some DE on Orr, they can be hard as hell. To the point that no matter how big your group is. Unless you have cummonication you will die.

I agree a lot of the Pve is easy, but thats only at lower lvls. Also the DE in area 40-70 are only easy most of the time is if you in a zerg. Otherwise they hard as hell and fun as hell to beat. The lvl 80's DE through no matter ya number it hard to beat them.

Then in WvW how it design, yes there is a lot of zergs. However, I have multy time beating zergs by good cummonication with my team mates. It can get really hard WvW sometimes.

Lastly to this thread, no Ive meet over 40 people since I started, talk to them and had fun. Join random groups in Pve and do stuff like jp together.  If you whisper them, are start teh chat in map chat. A lot can happen from there.

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Anyone else has the expirience that almost nobody is using the chat for social interaction ? Seriously......I had similar expirience in cheap f2p games some years ago but wonder why this is the case in GW2 currently. Is this a result of an too easy themepark or what is the reason ?

It's because there's no incentive to socialize. By removing all penalties for playing in the same area, they made it so you can just solo... with everyone else around you soloing. GW2 fanboys screamed it was only a thing that'd happen in beta, but its endemic of the game design. The game is still socially a step up from more recent themeparks, at least I can see people now, but rarely anyone interacts beyond rezzing and then running off.

The world is very solo friendly, there's rarely danger, there's no penalty for death or failure, so no real force brings people together.

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341

What level areas are you talking about? People are constantly chatting in both the beginner areas (Queensdale and the like) and the 70+ areas where many people are hanging out these days. High level areas are especially hectic between map chat and dungeon party spam (so want an LFG tool if only to get rid of that). Could also be your server, too. My guild switched to Stormbluff after a pvp alliance left out server and took most people with them, had trouble getting teams together since the people left behind were all very casual and mostly 20-40ish. Map chat was pretty empty there, too. This was frostpeak, btw.

Edit - btw, as someone else pointed out, WvWvW is ALWAYS alive in map chat. If you want a reason to depend on others and coordinate outside of dungeons or OOC chat, go there.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• TobiasGreyTobiasGrey Member Posts: 166
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer
    What level areas are you talking about? People are constantly chatting in both the beginner areas (Queensdale and the like) and the 70+ areas where many people are hanging out these days. High level areas are especially hectic between map chat and dungeon party spam (so want an LFG tool if only to get rid of that). Could also be your server, too. My guild switched to Stormbluff after a pvp alliance left out server and took most people with them, had trouble getting teams together since the people left behind were all very casual and mostly 20-40ish. Map chat was pretty empty there, too. This was frostpeak, btw.

We're not talking about bored people spamming global chat. We're talking about people actually socializing with eachother in the world. No one EVER responds to local chat ANYWHERE.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Depends on the server.

I am on Gandara, an EU server because most of my guild is in the EU and there are loads of people chatting.

Try a different server.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963

People choose to interact with friends and guilds and only few say in the worlds chat.(exept for words like "tx" or "thanx" or something like that when sombody did res you.

• Musket-SquidMusket-Squid Member UncommonPosts: 386

Play wow and see how much chat is going on.. if you arent in a city . only other spot that has any chat or di was barrens... do you really want that?

How many delicate flowers have you met in Counterstrike?

I got a case of beer and a chainsaw waiting for me at home after work.

• DeeweDeewe Member UncommonPosts: 1,980
    Originally posted by Indrome
    Originally posted by RizelStar
    Originally posted by compoundcut
    Originally posted by Leethe
    Honestly? Theere just isn't time between ressing, running, healing, buffing and laying down combo fields. For a game that has no community I sure get a lot of thankyous when I save some guys bacon. During some of the DEs tonight, when a boss spawned, a player turned to me and said "We doin this?" and I was like  "Hell yeah!" and that was it. Nothing else needed to be said because we were were back to back all the way to the end. I seem to spend more time playing like I'm on a team than I do looking or sounding like I am. 

This ^

This as well lol

This. Because: Silent synergy > unnecessary communication.

Or to put it with a quote from my asura: "Such synergy!"

Always nice to see people getting it ;)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Oh I don't know, people are always talking about WoW in map chat.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Originally posted by TobiasGrey
    Originally posted by gaeanprayer

We're not talking about bored people spamming global chat. We're talking about people actually socializing with eachother in the world. No one EVER responds to local chat ANYWHERE.

I like how you took what I said and claimed it meant the exact opposite of what it meant. People socialize plenty. So much that I made a tab that only have guild, party and whisper chat enabled so I can avoid it whenever I get tired of it. That's usually the tab I'm in. But no, I don't see much socializing in the mid-level range maps, they're more quiet. Like I said, nub areas, and 70+, plenty people talking. That they don't use local chat to do it means little, it's not necessary. Most obviously prefer to communicate with the whole map rather than just those in immediate range (as this, obviously, gives them MORE options for socializing) not to mention people are generally only in immediate range while in the middle of a fight. Sorry if I don't want to stop to shoot the shit with you while I'm trying not to die, but that's what whisper/guild/party chat/mail is for.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."